Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Page 522: cheat codes are core game mechanics blablabla

I'll just skip to page 525.

cheat codes are core game mechanics blablabla

:pwn:

edit: :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Well, I sincerely doubt ZeniMax would hold an E3 conference for just Fallout 4, like some seem to think is the case. I'm expecting Doom 4 to show up.

Well, either that or Rogue Warrior 2: What a Story Marcinko. Sequels to classic FPS titles all around.

Also

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
For once I agree with you, fish.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Shadow Hog posted:

Well, I sincerely doubt ZeniMax would hold an E3 conference for just Fallout 4, like some seem to think is the case. I'm expecting Doom 4 to show up.

Well, either that or Rogue Warrior 2: What a Story Marcinko. Sequels to classic FPS titles all around.

Also

I just want to say, because of this post I introduced somebody to the Rogue Warrior end credit music. Thank you.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

catlord posted:

I just want to say, because of this post I introduced somebody to the Rogue Warrior end credit music. Thank you.
More people need to be introduced to that musical masterpiece.

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones

RyokoTK posted:

"Not feasible" is open to interpretation and it's very, very difficult to establish what is hard for you, the map-maker, versus someone else as the player.

I disagree, As a former WADsmith I would start with Ultraviolence and hone that until I was happy with the flow. Ignore Nightmare! because it's very difficult to balance a fun challenging experience in UV that's survivable in Nightmare. Hurt me plenty would play in a similar manner, just make the main encounters less punishing and back off the unavoidable attrition (eg chaingun snipers). Both would be tough but not impossible without secrets.

With HNTR I'd go back to Doom2 and play some of the larger levels to get a feel for the difficulty. Generally play without mouse so movement is a little slower, so I need the architecture to save me against archies and revenants. I try to keep the monster count relatively untouched so the map doesn't become barren.

Then ask people to playtest it. I always found the ammo balance the most tedious part.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Shadow Hog posted:

More people need to be introduced to that musical masterpiece.

Video games are art and this is all the proof anyone needs.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

looks like the 'complete' version of this game called wickland was released not too long ago. i wonder how it is.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/321260/

seems to really be going hard on the fast-paced arena fps angle but instead of weapons you turn into different creatures that do different things.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Looks like Brutal Doom v20 is looming ever so closer; now destructible bodies are back in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=479koRc6gj8

I don't know much about the Doom engine; how does that whole "corpse slumped against the wall" animation work? It's boggling my mind.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

looks like the 'complete' version of this game called wickland was released not too long ago. i wonder how it is.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/321260/

seems to really be going hard on the fast-paced arena fps angle but instead of weapons you turn into different creatures that do different things.

Wickland is a fun little shooter, 1v1 only, with just FFA warmups. I like how all the players are in a lobby and can challenge like a fighting game, if only there were people to play. Servers are completely empty, despite some weirdness with SteamCharts saying hundreds of people. It's the most unique game released so far out of the whole indie arena shooter genre for sure.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

ChickenHeart posted:

Looks like Brutal Doom v20 is looming ever so closer; now destructible bodies are back in:

I don't know much about the Doom engine; how does that whole "corpse slumped against the wall" animation work? It's boggling my mind.

Looks like the body against the wall is just a dummy enemy that doesn't do anything, so it then has 8 directional views.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ChickenHeart posted:

When you shoot the guy, you replace him with a thing, only instead of like a barrel its a dude slumped over. Then you have that slumped over thing slide back a bit. Then doing damage to the thing changes it like shooting a barrel makes it blow up.

That's what I figure having no real knowledge of Brutal Doom, anyhow.

Krakhan
Oct 13, 2005

I see you.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Page 522: cheat codes are core game mechanics blablabla

I'll just skip to page 525.

cheat codes are core game mechanics blablabla

:pwn:

edit: :eng99:

You missed the part about nazis, but it's probably for the best.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
No you use the cheat codes to skip to the part where you shoot nazi's.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

ChickenHeart posted:

It looks to be when the zombie is killed, it actually launches a new projectile that is really just a flying zombieman body that spawns that slumped up corpse when it hits the wall.

Also shootable/gibbable corpses are underrated. They make the enemies seem so much more "meaty" rather than just bumbling cardboard cutouts with guns and blood.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
They're also a great way to crowd the playing area and make it hard to tell what the gently caress is actually usable or a pick up. Cacodemons already make this an issue in Doom, I don't like making it worse.

edit: I freely admit that I dislike Brutal Doom because it's cluttered and not really what I go for in Doom please do not make this a derail.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Feb 12, 2015

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I feel like if you're complaining about poo poo cluttering up the map with Brutal Doom, you are completely missing the point.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Brutal Doom is way too cluttered yeah but I'm just talking about being able to shoot the corpses and have them make squishy sounds. 500 bloodsplats and snuff film sprites filling the room are too much though. Derail over.

Also, I just played the Death Wish addon for Blood, and I might be slow, but would the goon that made this please present themselves so I can give them a huge Times Square sailor kiss for making this. I'd argue to say that it's honestly what Blood 2 should've been and it's amazing in every way. I honestly can't think of anything bad about it. Every map was solid and tight, every encounter was memorable, and it was just a massively enjoyable experience all around.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
If there's one thing I like about brutal doom, it's the 'ragdoll' stuff, that and the starting assault rifle.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

SGtMarkIV posted:

On v19 I had to remove the destroyable bobies because they were bugging everything,

For a minute I thought I clicked wrong video and was watching H-Doom instead.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Valient's level design is wholly dickish but I'm still having fun.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

I was wondering, I haven't played BrutalDoom in a long while, is there a thing that changes the mini-gun back to way it was? I didn't like the new thing where mini-gun could keep an enemy standing up and blown apart while protecting the guys behind him I liked it more where the mini-gun could cut through a cluster of fodder enemies in seconds.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=47821

Some wizard recreated the first level of the PC version of Exhumed. Unfortunately, the enemies just might be the most annoying fuckers in all of gaming. But it's still impressive.

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Feb 12, 2015

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
That's BUILD Exhumed, not Saturn Exhumed.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Segmentation Fault posted:

That's BUILD Exhumed, not Saturn Exhumed.

I stand corrected. Fixed!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

MONKET posted:

Also, I just played the Death Wish addon for Blood, and I might be slow, but would the goon that made this please present themselves so I can give them a huge Times Square sailor kiss for making this. I'd argue to say that it's honestly what Blood 2 should've been and it's amazing in every way. I honestly can't think of anything bad about it. Every map was solid and tight, every encounter was memorable, and it was just a massively enjoyable experience all around.

loving yes. I cannot praise DeathWish nearly enough.

Edit: vv Oh poo poo! That's going to be awesome.

catlord fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 13, 2015

FuriousGrey
Jul 11, 2006

MONKET posted:

That's me! I actually have a huge update to it sitting on my computer, but I've been doing too much of my own indie game stuff to work on it steadily.

Right now Death Wish 1.4 has 2 new secret levels, 2 new transition levels, and multiple edits across all the old maps. I added new areas, fixed glitches or mistakes I spotted during youtube LPs, altered anything that was annoying ( e.g. speeding up some elevators/doors and removing cheap enemy placement), removed unnecessary obstacles that prevent speed-running by using bomb jumps, added some things that promote speed running (like a hidden Invulnerability Mask in The Abyss level that lets you just fall straight to the bottom instead of getting a key to take the elevator down), and other fixes that improve multiplayer. I want to redo the movies at some point, too, now that I don't have to use a scanner for art or record audio on my iPod touch from inside my car. Smacker video compression makes everything look terrible but I'm willing to give it another shot.

I gave myself a hard deadline of Oct. 31st when I released the first version so I was in a bit of a rush, and versions 1.2 & 1.3 came soon after as people started spotting mistakes. 1.4 is the first really polished version that's had a lot of extra time put into it. I actually have a bunch of Bloodbath (aka deathmatch) levels I made in the past and was going to include a while ago, but I don't know if anyone even plays against each other in Blood online anymore.

Unfortunately, there aren't a ton of big Blood add ons out there other than Death Wish, Bloody Pulp Fiction, RATM, Gods, and French Meat. I've been working on making DW the best it can be, and hopefully I'll drop this big update by this Halloween. I wish they'd release the source so the community would expand, but for now I'm happy making quality content for the small number of Blood fans during my game dev downtime.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Kick from Night Dive confirmed they're working on Powerslave/Exhumed and that their re-release would include the Saturn version as part of the package.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Kick from Night Dive confirmed they're working on Powerslave/Exhumed and that their re-release would include the Saturn version as part of the package.

:vince::awesome:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

I dug up the announcement, for reference:
https://twitter.com/NightDiveStudio/status/565983957368324096

On the radio show thing in that link. Season 3 Episode 10, 28 minutes in.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Holy poo poo. Never in my life would I have thought this would happen.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Magic is real.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Honestly, I don't really think it's a great game and I think people overhype it based on the tech rather than how fun it was to actually play, but I have a lot of respect for Night Dive for making the effort to present both versions.

I wonder if they'll go so far as to add a PSX conversion - the PSX isn't as different to the Saturn version as the console versions are to the PC version but it's definitely not a straight port.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

FuriousGrey posted:

That's me! I actually have a huge update to it sitting on my computer, but I've been doing too much of my own indie game stuff to work on it steadily.

Right now Death Wish 1.4 has 2 new secret levels, 2 new transition levels, and multiple edits across all the old maps. I added new areas, fixed glitches or mistakes I spotted during youtube LPs, altered anything that was annoying ( e.g. speeding up some elevators/doors and removing cheap enemy placement), removed unnecessary obstacles that prevent speed-running by using bomb jumps, added some things that promote speed running (like a hidden Invulnerability Mask in The Abyss level that lets you just fall straight to the bottom instead of getting a key to take the elevator down), and other fixes that improve multiplayer. I want to redo the movies at some point, too, now that I don't have to use a scanner for art or record audio on my iPod touch from inside my car. Smacker video compression makes everything look terrible but I'm willing to give it another shot.

I gave myself a hard deadline of Oct. 31st when I released the first version so I was in a bit of a rush, and versions 1.2 & 1.3 came soon after as people started spotting mistakes. 1.4 is the first really polished version that's had a lot of extra time put into it. I actually have a bunch of Bloodbath (aka deathmatch) levels I made in the past and was going to include a while ago, but I don't know if anyone even plays against each other in Blood online anymore.

Unfortunately, there aren't a ton of big Blood add ons out there other than Death Wish, Bloody Pulp Fiction, RATM, Gods, and French Meat. I've been working on making DW the best it can be, and hopefully I'll drop this big update by this Halloween. I wish they'd release the source so the community would expand, but for now I'm happy making quality content for the small number of Blood fans during my game dev downtime.

I haven't had a chance to play Deathwish yet, but I love Blood and wanted to say thanks for keeping it alive. One day I'm hoping I'll wake up to see a Night Dive announcement about Blood...

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

FuriousGrey posted:

*snip*
As a fellower Builder (although for Duke and not Blood) Deathwish is a genuine inspiration to me, the amount of work and detail you poured into each level was fantastic and makes me feel slightly ashamed for only managing that with a handful of levels (well I've released TCs full of pretty lovely levels, but at least nowadays it's quantity over quality for me) I'm really eager to check out this improved version!

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

my bony fealty posted:

I haven't had a chance to play Deathwish yet, but I love Blood and wanted to say thanks for keeping it alive. One day I'm hoping I'll wake up to see a Night Dive announcement about Blood...

You really should, man. I'm a diehard Blood fan and it itched all the right spots for me. Hands-down best map set made for it yet.

FuriousGrey posted:

Followed the Twitter! I think it's just amazing how you can work through the limitations of DOS without any new editors or anything and create something entirely new and refreshing while still sticking to the roots. Adding support for speedrunning sounds great too and would add a lot of replayability to the maps. I'm totally psyched for the new version to come out and can't wait to see what other goodies you've added and what other secret levels you might have in store.

Though the meager little Blood community isn't nearly as big as Duke or Doom, thanks so much for making quality work and breathing new life into the game. :D

seconding :vince:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

my bony fealty posted:

One day I'm hoping I'll wake up to see a Night Dive announcement about Blood...

Yes it'd be great to wake up one day and discover Blood is now available on Steam and GOG.

Looks like Samuel Villarreal got another gig from them...

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Cat Mattress posted:

Yes it'd be great to wake up one day and discover Blood is now available on Steam and GOG.

I think he's talking about a source release. I'm glad everyone is using bMouse but I threw it together as a last resort, I'd prefer it to become obsolete (OpenGL support and stuff would be nice too).

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
Speaking of Blood, did Tecman ever update his One Unit Whole Blood launcher? That thing was great a few years ago but deserves an update with new maps and DOSBox builds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SwissCM posted:

I think he's talking about a source release.

Perhaps but...

Games re-released by NightDive:
  • Shadow Man
  • Strife
  • The 7th Guest
  • The 11th Hour
  • Bad Mojo
  • Harvester
  • I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream
  • Inherit the Earth
  • Labyrinth of Time
  • Bloodnet
  • Rex Nebular
  • Dragonsphere
  • Tex Murphy (Martian Memorandum, Mean Streets, Overseer, Pandora Directive, Under a Killing Moon)
  • Dark Land
  • System Shock 2
  • Wizardry 6, 7, and 8
  • Sid Meier's Colonization
  • Sid Meier's Covert Action
  • Sid Meier's Pirate Gold
  • Sword of the Samurai
  • Tons of Humongous titles

Games re-released by NightDive who had their source code released as part of the Night Dive rerelease
  • Strife: Veteran Edition (because it's based on a GPL program)

They're doing great work and I hope they'll resurrect plenty of other titles, but I don't see why they're heralded as the open-source messiahs of gaming.