Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Nessus posted:

'the character takes an unsoakable bashing health level from literal tongue twisting'

Personally I prefer the character to just stay there motionless for a few moments, before muttering 'gently caress you' to the person who used those charms in the most hateful tone of voice they can possible manage. Then they walk away away with a negative intimacy and a splitting headache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Bedlamdan posted:

Personally I prefer the character to just stay there motionless for a few moments, before muttering 'gently caress you' to the person who used those charms in the most hateful tone of voice they can possible manage. Then they walk away away with a negative intimacy and a splitting headache.
Yeah this kind of thing seems like it'd depend a lot on the tone the GM is going for.

HOWEVER, you have a system with hundreds of highly specific magical effects so I'm gonna belabor that you probably ought to put a note somewhere about how to adjucate when they slam into each other like that. Even if it is in fact "consider the tone of your campaign and maybe consider the relative power behind each effect."

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Nessus posted:

Yeah this kind of thing seems like it'd depend a lot on the tone the GM is going for.

HOWEVER, you have a system with hundreds of highly specific magical effects so I'm gonna belabor that you probably ought to put a note somewhere about how to adjucate when they slam into each other like that. Even if it is in fact "consider the tone of your campaign and maybe consider the relative power behind each effect."

You're most likely right, given that it's not that easy to pick up on the intentions behind this.

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012

Bedlamdan posted:

It does have that, actually. Look up the Leadership section on page 272. Honestly, it's a bit loose and doesn't always rely on Bureaucracy specifically, but this is the system that Bureaucracy Charms interact with.

The thing is though that the section you're talking about not only doesn't once mention Bureaucracy (far from simply not always using it) it explicitly and repeatedly asserts that no Ability rolls are called for, that the ST should adjudicate solely in terms of what would be interesting, etc. It amounts to a thousand-ish cuttable words of GMimg advice. There's no there there. The word Bureaucracy doesn't appear once in the entire systems chapter in fact.

Which is totally a valid choice, actually, the lack of system. I'm disappointed but it's hardly news.

But if they're looking to cut content then that section... And the two Bureaucracy Charms that are mechanically merely less-efficient, less-generally applicable versions of the Socialize Excellency ... Those could go. Also the Charm that gives you one free Bureaucracy Excellency use per three-month period. Probably that wasn't laughable when there was an actual project management subsystem and those hooked in in some way.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

drunkencarp posted:

The thing is though that the section you're talking about not only doesn't once mention Bureaucracy (far from simply not always using it) it explicitly and repeatedly asserts that no Ability rolls are called for, that the ST should adjudicate solely in terms of what would be interesting, etc. It amounts to a thousand-ish cuttable words of GMimg advice. There's no there there. The word Bureaucracy doesn't appear once in the entire systems chapter in fact.

Which is totally a valid choice, actually, the lack of system. I'm disappointed but it's hardly news.

But if they're looking to cut content then that section... And the two Bureaucracy Charms that are mechanically merely less-efficient, less-generally applicable versions of the Socialize Excellency ... Those could go. Also the Charm that gives you one free Bureaucracy Excellency use per three-month period. Probably that wasn't laughable when there was an actual project management subsystem and those hooked in in some way.

My memory must've been really faulty on how they handled Bureaucracy then, my apologies.

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012

Bedlamdan posted:

My memory must've been really faulty on how they handled Bureaucracy then, my apologies.

On the other hand, the Charm that compels an organization to accept you as a legit auditor, comply with your books and records request, and cough up all the discovery you can stomach? Pure genius and a terrific power fantasy. Or so the corporate litigation attorney I'm married to tells me.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Bedlamdan posted:

You're most likely right, given that it's not that easy to pick up on the intentions behind this.
As it appears in the book, yeah, it's just "You want to know how two charms, printed next to each other, do the exact opposite thing when you combo them together? gently caress you."

drunkencarp posted:

Also the Charm that gives you one free Bureaucracy Excellency use per three-month period. Probably that wasn't laughable when there was an actual project management subsystem and those hooked in in some way.
I remember early on being told there were explicit plans from the start to not have an actual mechanical system for Bureaucracy to work with.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Zereth posted:

I remember early on being told there were explicit plans from the start to not have an actual mechanical system for Bureaucracy to work with.

Yep. And it made me sad.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kenlon posted:

Yep. And it made me sad.
Me too. It kinda kills a lot of concepts like "Spymaster at the center of a web" when you don't have any actual mechanical strings to pull to cause things to happen.

On the same lines is the lack of any actual rules for how a kingdom is going infrastructure/supply wise. How much does building this awesome aqueduct for your desert city help? :iiam:

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012
Yeah, my assumption is that they struggled with a project management subsystem for a while, wrote some Charms, but couldn't get it to work. Then they ripped out the mechanical references to the subsystem, vestiges of which can be seen in the otherwise kind of inexplicable Leadership section, with its four mechanically-meaningless steps.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

drunkencarp posted:

Yeah, my assumption is that they struggled with a project management subsystem for a while, wrote some Charms, but couldn't get it to work. Then they ripped out the mechanical references to the subsystem, vestiges of which can be seen in the otherwise kind of inexplicable Leadership section, with its four mechanically-meaningless steps.

Given that they told us, explicitly, in the precursor to this thread that they didn't want a mechanical system for large projects, I don't think they even went that far.

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012
I remember them saying that. My supposition is that when they realized they couldn't make it work they doubled down on telling people what a terrible idea it was. These are the same people who gave us the rewrite of 2e's kingdom-ruling subsystem after all, as I pointed out at the time. Why they went with a public position of "you're stupid for wanting it" instead of "we tried and man it was either too abstract to be even a little useful or else it was a terrible straitjacket, game design is hard" I couldn't say.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
I wonder how far you could get treating social infrastructure/organizations/traditions as "artifacts," using the crafting system and Evocations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kenlon posted:

Given that they told us, explicitly, in the precursor to this thread that they didn't want a mechanical system for large projects, I don't think they even went that far.
Bullshit! They wanted a large system to be about making large objects, not creating societies and movements. Which sucks nuts in my opinion since a lot of what made Exalted stand out was that poo poo like religious organizations and the like were also important.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

drunkencarp posted:

I remember them saying that. My supposition is that when they realized they couldn't make it work they doubled down on telling people what a terrible idea it was. These are the same people who gave us the rewrite of 2e's kingdom-ruling subsystem after all, as I pointed out at the time. Why they went with a public position of "you're stupid for wanting it" instead of "we tried and man it was either too abstract to be even a little useful or else it was a terrible straitjacket, game design is hard" I couldn't say.

IIRC they did plan on releasing a supplement with actual kingdom management rules further down the line. So probably 2019.

Fortunately for us, someone will leak it by the year 2018.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Oligopsony posted:

I wonder how far you could get treating social infrastructure/organizations/traditions as "artifacts," using the crafting system and Evocations.

This is cool and I'm going to read the charms for the relevant traits with this in mind.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."

Zereth posted:

Yes. It was stupid. It's still stupid. Also the economics side of Bureaucracy needs more high-level charms. I get that they maybe want direction-shaking Economics to be a a project that your organization works on, but there's no real project/organization subsystem for Bureaucracy! It's all handwaving!

Ferrinus posted:

This is cool and I'm going to read the charms for the relevant traits with this in mind.

Super tempted to make rules to treat Bureaucracy as Craft: Organization.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
So I started on some Charm charts.

Archery

Athletics

Awareness

Brawl

Bureaucracy

Craft

Dodge

Integrity

Investigation

Larceny

Linguistics

Lore

More to come.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Zereth posted:

Me too. It kinda kills a lot of concepts like "Spymaster at the center of a web" when you don't have any actual mechanical strings to pull to cause things to happen.

On the same lines is the lack of any actual rules for how a kingdom is going infrastructure/supply wise. How much does building this awesome aqueduct for your desert city help? :iiam:

I said it months ago and I'll say it again; I really don't think that you should be tugging on an Organizations Cohesiveness score or whatever instead of manipulating Intimacies, to get people to do what you want. The focus of the game should, by default, stay driven by characters. I definitely am really skeptical that kingdoms should have stats you can affect, because at absolutely no point should you be entering a sort of Sid Meier volkgeist mode and playing "as" the kingdom.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

I said it months ago and I'll say it again; I really don't think that you should be tugging on an Organizations Cohesiveness score or whatever instead of manipulating Intimacies, to get people to do what you want. The focus of the game should, by default, stay driven by characters. I definitely am really skeptical that kingdoms should have stats you can affect, because at absolutely no point should you be entering a sort of Sid Meier volkgeist mode and playing "as" the kingdom.

Having actually played as the kingdom in a FATE game before, there's no reason not to do it. It just has to be a tight and efficient system.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

This assumes a robust and cool and fun system involving intimacies. I am skeptical such a thing exists, as human relations seem likely to have been deprioritized in favor of Melee Charms and crafting XP!!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Nessus posted:

Has D&D ever had a good crafting system? I cut my teeth on the old school AD&D and it was like "there is this sixth level spell, Create Magic Item. It takes a while and you need components. Also it wipes you out. Especially if you want to cast Permanency on it!"

I kinda like 2e AD&D magic crafting, the permanent constitution cost of Permanency meant that you couldn't just be a factory crafting out magic artifacts and armaments, and the combined rarity of magical items and the quest-like nature of assembling the components for one further reinforced that it wasn't just a matter of throwing time and gold at kitting out everyone with +1 swords and armor. You'd likely remember the time your wizard went on an epic quest to find what he needed to make a powerful magical item.

But it wasn't really much of a crafting "system," because players weren't really expected to make much use of it, and there wasn't any really... balancing to it? The balancing was supposed to be in the GM's demand for ingredients, a Vorpal Sword was going to require more rare and dangerous-to-acquire(dragon teeth or something, maybe) ingredients than a Ring of Infravision, but ultimately if the GM wanted he could've just said you could pop down to the corner store and pick up a bunch of canned magic item ingredients, pour them into the cauldron, dip the sword in it while chanting, pow, zap, artifact Holy Avenger in your hands.

In 3e, the crafting system was finally a system, and while it worked to let you buy magical items for above 1st-level starting characters, and to later craft your own, it was, in my mind, a "bad" crafting system because it basically let someone be a factory for pumping out +1 longswords without any real fluff or detail and generally contributed to a feel that the streets were paved with Rings of Protection.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

In the same way that some large units of scrub enemies sometimes get statted as one single enemy in combat(at least unless you want to go insane), why couldn't you do the same with groups in a society? But instead of combat stats, you give the craftsmen's guild of Nexus a group intimacy and social stats, to represent their political pull and interests. It's important to focus it on characters, but sometimes you'll want to abstract things a little, and even though you're attacking/manipulating the entire group's intimacies, you can still roleplay it as a visit to the guild's council where you either make a heartfelt plea or give them an offer they can't refuse or whatever's appropriate.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
The Nexus craftsman's guild should be "represented" by an interesting character - their own leader, a middling God or spirit, a skilled Outcaste, etc. Gaining influence over them should be tied to charming, outdoing,or replacing whoever already has influence over them.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:
I just plan to throw Reign on top of it because although yes it should be mostly character focused, you should also be able to have some feedback as to how your various projects have an effect on your organization. Obviously all of this can be hand-waved by an ST, but having a system gives more to interact with as a player. You still have priority on the interpersonal relationships to give you the bonuses on your Company rolls with Reign. And it probably wouldn't be that hard to hook up the Bureaucracy charms to have them function with the Company system in Reign as well.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Roadie posted:

*snip awesomeness*

Behold the Charmohedron.

Calde
Jun 20, 2009

NIV3K posted:

I just plan to throw Reign on top of it because although yes it should be mostly character focused, you should also be able to have some feedback as to how your various projects have an effect on your organization. Obviously all of this can be hand-waved by an ST, but having a system gives more to interact with as a player. You still have priority on the interpersonal relationships to give you the bonuses on your Company rolls with Reign. And it probably wouldn't be that hard to hook up the Bureaucracy charms to have them function with the Company system in Reign as well.

Something light like the Reign Company system is exactly what's called for. Have you given any thought to how Backgrounds/Merits interact with it?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

The funny part is that he must have really come around, because while I'm going through these Charms to make charts I'm seeing a lot of encounter and daily abilities.

Of course, none of them actually use standardized mechanics or keywording for it, but I can't tell if that's a poor attempt to disguise the 4e influence, or just bad mechanics editing.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Roadie posted:

The funny part is that he must have really come around, because while I'm going through these Charms to make charts I'm seeing a lot of encounter and daily abilities.

Of course, none of them actually use standardized mechanics or keywording for it, but I can't tell if that's a poor attempt to disguise the 4e influence, or just bad mechanics editing.

You're better off just reading what he actually said in the thread while quietly acknowledging that Ferrinus pathologically needs to be correct in every argument, no matter how petty. :ssh:

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Bedlamdan posted:

You're better off just reading what he actually said in the thread while quietly acknowledging that Ferrinus pathologically needs to be correct in every argument, no matter how petty. :ssh:
It helps that a lot of the time Ferrinus is correcting you specifically about something trivially obvious or pointing out a flaw in some terrible legacy mechanic your relentless apologism can't help but fellate.

It DOES boost his averages a little.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
I'm sorry that I'm failing to take a six year old post about someone's opinion on D&D with the gravity and seriousness that it most certainly deserves.

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

It helps that a lot of the time Ferrinus is correcting you specifically about something trivially obvious or pointing out a flaw in some terrible legacy mechanic your relentless apologism can't help but fellate.

It DOES boost his averages a little.

Where? In this entire thread the most I've been bitching about is setting fluff followed by a big argument about Brawl/Martial Arts halfway through the play-test.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

If you think that'll trick me into reading any more of your posts you're as mistaken as people who thought this book was coming out in 2015.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

If you think that'll trick me into reading any more of your posts you're as mistaken as people who thought this book was coming out in 2015.

You can just click the question mark icon next my post-date and cherry-pick whatever. Relax, guy! Take Ferrinus for example. He was willing to take the time he needed.

I'mma take a posting break before someone pays 10bux to put Aatrek/the stuff from the hentai reviews in my AV.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
More charm charts. This covers all the Abilities. Next are MA styles.

Medicine

Melee

Occult

Performance

Presence

Resistance

Ride

Sail

Socialize

Stealth

Survival

Thrown

War

Awareness, Dodge, Integrity, Linguistics, Presence, Ride, Sail, Stealth, Survival, Thrown, and War have no actual Essence 5 Charms, much to the embarrassment of anybody who picks them as Supernal.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 11, 2015

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Roadie posted:

Awareness, Dodge, Integrity, Linguistics, Presence, Ride, Sail, Stealth, Survival, Thrown, and War have no actual Essence 5 Charms, much to the embarrassment of anybody who picks them as Supernal.
What legendary hero would ever want to perceive the hidden, avoid harm, show moral fortitude, speak persuasively in foreign languages, give off an aura of command, ride an animal, sail a boat, hide from enemies, brave the wilderness, throw a dagger or wage a war?

I mean poo poo, they got crafting to do, son!

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Thank you for doing these, (1) they're a cool visualization in advance and (2) they really highlight which charmsets have a lot of track escalation that (at least in part) could be trimmed a little or otherwise streamlined.
Like really, it's 10 charms from the top of the Socialize main line to the terminal charm, with only 3 points where they unlock anything other than the next charm in the line. And Medicine's 4 lines only intersect once despite being 4-6 deep, while Presence...man, I'm sorry you had to do Presence, because holy poo poo.

Also it's just funny to see how nicely organized Bureaucracy is, especially next to a clusterfuck like Lore. Good Charmfeel.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
As someone who knows gently caress all about Exalted, are the Occult-charms the magic related charms, or is magic something entirely different?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Libluini posted:

As someone who knows gently caress all about Exalted, are the Occult-charms the magic related charms, or is magic something entirely different?

Sorcery is its own subsystem with buyable spells and its own resource minigame, but the charms that boost sorcery and unlock tiers of sorcery are all in the Occult tree. But that's only a small fraction of the Occult charms, most of which have to do with like, a gnostic apprehension of Essence and divine authority over spirits. They're magical but they aren't exactly magic, if that makes sense.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Libluini posted:

Occult charms seem to usually fall into the headings of "detect magic/spirits," "directly harm spirits who are hiding from your kung fu," and so on. Plus sorcery, obviously.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Ah, now it makes sense, thanks. This makes me want to try an Alchemical sorcerer now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
What!? Supernal skill is Caste only? gently caress, this means I cant have my Night Caste pirate take Sail as Supernal.

• Locked thread