Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

kayakyakr posted:

Biggest thing is back-to-back-to-back TV timeouts. That is a real drag in the stadiums. Fox is the worst.

oh christ yes

Having so many pass-happy teams lately hasn't helped either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

DJExile posted:

oh christ yes

Having so many pass-happy teams lately hasn't helped either.

While I would like to see all commercials removed from college broadcasts except between quarters and at halftime, I would settle for about a 20% reduction in commercial breaks, mainly in the number of them.

I'm finding most broadcasts to be unwatchable in the last couple years. I have to have a pretty good interest in one of the teams to keep it on.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

While I would like to see all commercials removed from college broadcasts except between quarters and at halftime, I would settle for about a 20% reduction in commercial breaks, mainly in the number of them.

I'm finding most broadcasts to be unwatchable in the last couple years. I have to have a pretty good interest in one of the teams to keep it on.

This is part of what had me stop watching the NFL. It's not the biggest thing, but when you go Touchdown - Commercial - Extra Point - Commercial - Kickoff - Commercial, I just can't give a poo poo.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Jeremor posted:

Last I heard, the interlocking SC logo was part of that Southern Cal lawsuit from years ago. Southern Cal won and the supreme court denied our appeal, so yeah, I'm not sure if we're really even supposed to be using it at all anymore. I think mostly we just can't really change it and try to use it as our primary logo in the future.

Which sucks pretty hard because it's an awesome logo.

As far as I know, we're still allowed to use it; we're just not the rights-holders, so we can't go after people for using our version of it. I don't understand why this became a thing, because I think both schools still share the copyright to "USC" and the logos are pretty distinct from each other, but whatever. I love the interlocking SC, but I like it being exclusive to the baseball team.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Crotch Bat posted:

- Ineligible downfield rule adjusted from 3 yards to 1. To be legal a lineman more than a yard downfield must be engaged with a defender when the pass is released.
Well, goodbye pop pass. It was nice knowing you.

Yeah, I know NFL teams do it with the same rule, but it's sketchy as gently caress and if they start calling it more often you'd see teams basically cut that out of their offense.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Crotch Bat posted:

- potential first-person camera footage on players. I'd watch GoPro footage of this sport all drat day

That would be beyond awesome.

Crotch Bat posted:

- Ineligible downfield rule adjusted from 3 yards to 1. To be legal a lineman more than a yard downfield must be engaged with a defender when the pass is released.

I could really get behind this rule change. Right now the pop pass is tilted way to heavily towards the offense and prevents defenses from being able to respond to their keys. Moving it to one yard downfield will take a lot of the wiggle room away from lineman and force them to actually pass block on those plays instead of hitting the second level before the ball leaves the QBs hand.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

If you guys want to see some first-person football views, I think Miami posted some videos on youtube where their QBs and LBs were wearing some small on-camera helmets during practice.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

DJExile posted:

If you guys want to see some first-person football views, I think Miami posted some videos on youtube where their QBs and LBs were wearing some small on-camera helmets during practice.

Putting an on camera helmet on a QB during practice seems like a really great use of technology. Then you can go back and review what they were actually looking at and seeing on individual plays while they made their checkdowns and decide on their throws.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Here's the one from their linebacker. It's a neat idea but the problem is there's no way to keep it from being shaky as all hell.

E: Here's the QB cam

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Crotch Bat posted:

Rule changes proposed:

- 8 man ref crews. Adds the center judge(opposite the umpire in the offensive backfield)

So now if the referees confer then can spell FUC.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

DJExile posted:

Here's the one from their linebacker. It's a neat idea but the problem is there's no way to keep it from being shaky as all hell.

it would be easy as poo poo to keep it stable and not-shaky if they uploaded the video in higher res than loving 144p from the 1950s. image stabilization is stupidly well-optimized these days

also gently caress you ncaa for even considering banning non-standard facemasks. also dont you dare ban the pop pass it owns

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
If it works anything like GoPros on bikes, there are probably certain places and types of mounts that work much better than others. I'm sure if enough people started looking into it, they would get workable solutions really quick.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

wheez the roux posted:

it would be easy as poo poo to keep it stable and not-shaky if they uploaded the video in higher res than loving 144p from the 1950s. image stabilization is stupidly well-optimized these days

I'm guessing they were some small cameras they used. I'd imagine a gopro would get broken off almost constantly.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

DJExile posted:

I'm guessing they were some small cameras they used. I'd imagine a gopro would get broken off almost constantly.

a gopro is the size of a matchbox and they're used in far more destructive environments than a football field. you could easily build or retrofit one into a helmet or just put it in somewhere in their shoulder pads. they're just being cheap

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

Pakled posted:

As awesome as the Atlanta hip hop scene is, most of them probably aren't GT fans. :smith:

Oh for sure. I was just going off the fact that GT is in Atlanta.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

DJExile posted:

Phew, thank god. Almost had kids having some fun out there.

For real, gently caress this.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

DJExile posted:

QBs generally aren't getting hit during practice. You could just mount on on the top of the helmet and get lots of valuable video of what your QB is seeing on each play.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Thoguh posted:

QBs generally aren't getting hit during practice. You could just mount on on the top of the helmet and get lots of valuable video of what your QB is seeing on each play.

yeah fair point, i didn't really think that through

wheez the roux posted:

a gopro is the size of a matchbox and they're used in far more destructive environments than a football field. you could easily build or retrofit one into a helmet or just put it in somewhere in their shoulder pads. they're just being cheap

I haven't seen a gopro up close in years, so add that to things I didn't know :shobon:

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I'm confused about what you guys think they're taking away with regards to the facemask.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Crotch Bat posted:

I'm confused about what you guys think they're taking away with regards to the facemask.

Cool, different looking facemasks?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Crotch Bat posted:

It looks cool and linemen like it. I think one of Arizona's d-line or linebackers made a mock-up of one with the "A" logo in the middle and it looked amazing.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Grittybeard posted:

Cool, different looking facemasks?

Are the people pushing these rules like Penn St. and Nebraska fans?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Research shows those facemasks are bad for your neck and other people's hands.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Sash! posted:

wasn't the original idea that those hands couldn't get a grasp on the cage?

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

Sash! posted:

cool, link it

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

DJExile posted:

wasn't the original idea that those hands couldn't get a grasp on the cage?

"Grasp" and "jam your finger in by accident" are two different things.

wheez the roux posted:

cool, link it

There's no actual study floating around that I could find, but this sums it up http://www.unh.edu/unhtoday/2014/07/unh-prof-nfls-mvp-equipment-research

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12301811/florida-gators-ad-jeremy-foley-says-understands-angst-caused-former-coach-muschamp

quote:

... the athletic program has $90 million in debt, with Foley making it clear he doesn't want to take on more than $100 million.

How the hell does the University of Florida Athletics Department have $90 million in debt? I thought it was a cash cow.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

LLCoolJD posted:

How the hell does the University of Florida Athletics Department have $90 million in debt? I thought it was a cash cow.
Cash cows can afford to take on debt to finance capital improvements? Business debt doesn't have to mean the same thing as consumer debt ("you're spending money you don't and will never have").

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

LLCoolJD posted:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12301811/florida-gators-ad-jeremy-foley-says-understands-angst-caused-former-coach-muschamp

Major projects and contracts add up.

Fussy Dutchman
Jul 29, 2008
Looks like ND is hiring away Boise State's OC, Mike Sanford Jr.

He looks like a hot poo poo new coach with previous stops at Stanford... will probably Run the Dang Ball enough to keep fans happy.

So that's cool.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Fussy Dutchman posted:

He looks like a hot poo poo new coach with previous stops at Stanford... will probably Run the Dang Ball enough to keep fans happy.

So that's cool.

news just in, notre dame getting a golden field

Fussy Dutchman
Jul 29, 2008

KKKLIP ART posted:

news just in, notre dame getting a golden field

the sea of piss

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

Fussy Dutchman posted:

So that's cool.

Boise State was sneakily good on offense last season, I think this will wind up being a Good Hire.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Boise State was sneakily good on offense last season, I think this will wind up being a Good Hire.
Has a Boise State assistant ever really flamed out? They've all been remarkably successful away from the warm embrace of Chris Petersen, as far as I can tell.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Cash cows can afford to take on debt to finance capital improvements? Business debt doesn't have to mean the same thing as consumer debt ("you're spending money you don't and will never have").

Plus one can assume there's no means for the University of Florida to finance itself through its equity.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Has a Boise State assistant ever really flamed out? They've all been remarkably successful away from the warm embrace of Chris Petersen, as far as I can tell.

Not an assistant I guess but my god Dan Hawkins was truly awful. His success was due to having Petersen on his staff though.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Grittybeard posted:

Not an assistant I guess but my god Dan Hawkins was truly awful.
Oh yeah, forgot about him. But this is more evidence for my theory that Chris Petersen was the actual brains of the operation in Boise even before he was HC.

EDIT: :laffo: Dan Hawkins was hired by the Montreal Alouettes, and then fired 5 games into the season.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Feb 12, 2015

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

wheez the roux posted:

cool, link it

The article I linked specifically stated the facemask ban proposal was based off of research from the NFL so I'm guessing they found out those things are bad for you or others as was said.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

That's cool as poo poo. I want to see a whole game of it so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fussy Dutchman
Jul 29, 2008

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

This hire (which I'm pretty sure is like 99% going to happen) came completely out of left field, so I'm happy. Not sure what current OC Mike Denbrock's role will be-he's a great position coach who might either be a Co-OC or maybe he'll get an assistant head coach + recruiting coordinator title while coaching receivers / TEs.

Seems to take some of the sting off losing Alford and Cooks.

I'm weirdly excited for spring football now.

• Locked thread