Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

The Hellraiser reboot is looking pretty good.

Hellraisining: The beginining

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozaldo
Apr 18, 2004

Serenity Now. Serenity Now.
:respek::respek::respek::respek::respek:

KHAAAAAAAAAAN!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

This is why he became an actor though. SO people wouldn't have to see his weird looking mug

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Dude has a weird face.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
To Gandalfs credit, I had no idea that's how they did it until I saw that behind the scenes thing, it looked and felt like he was there.

The way they did shoot it was pretty kickin' rad from a technical standpoint. They had one set with all the dwarves and bilbog, and the separate green set for Gandalf, and shot each set simultaneously with two camera rigs parented together so any movement they did on the dwarves camera reflected on the green room camera.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Perestroika posted:

Dude has a weird face.

how the grinch stole star trek

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

ddiddles posted:

To Gandalfs credit, I had no idea that's how they did it until I saw that behind the scenes thing, it looked and felt like he was there.

The way they did shoot it was pretty kickin' rad from a technical standpoint. They had one set with all the dwarves and bilbog, and the separate green set for Gandalf, and shot each set simultaneously with two camera rigs parented together so any movement they did on the dwarves camera reflected on the green room camera.

Bil bog tryna get a hand inveezy.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

ddiddles posted:

Yeah but in Fellowship of the Ring they did the same thing by having Frodo just be further away from the camera.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

rodbeard posted:

Yeah but in Fellowship of the Ring they did the same thing by having Frodo just be further away from the camera.

Obviously they couldn't do that this time because the 3D would give away the depth. Hence pretty much every scene had to be greenscreen.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Obviously they couldn't do that this time because the 3D would give away the depth. Hence pretty much every scene had to be greenscreen.

Also that only works sitting across from eachother. Not with drawers running around blunting knives.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
It's just really sad when you can spend days watching all the extras for the LotR trilogy, watching all these passionate people working on all the extensive details to bring those movies to life, and then here's the Hobbit movies made by people who didn't even want to be there going "gently caress it, just greenscreen that poo poo."

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Why not just hire small people?

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

veedubfreak posted:

Danny DeVito would have made a great Thorin Oakenshield.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I just don't understand. Willow... Time Bandits... Tom Cruise... Why did they stop hiring those kinda guys.

Real Dwarves gotta make a living.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

veedubfreak posted:

I know this isn't what you meant, but I had no idea that LOTR had body doubles in hobbit size.

AHHHH

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

mng posted:

I know this isn't what you meant, but I had no idea that LOTR had body doubles in hobbit size.

AHHHH

They pulled every loving trick in the book out for the LotR trilogy, and even invented new ones. Absolutely none of that was used for the Hobbit movies, deciding to just rely on greenscreens and CGI action.

The Hobbit movies ended up costing significantly more to make while doing significantly less work.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Jamesman posted:

They pulled every loving trick in the book out for the LotR trilogy, and even invented new ones. Absolutely none of that was used for the Hobbit movies, deciding to just rely on greenscreens and CGI action.

The Hobbit movies ended up costing significantly more to make while doing significantly less work.

And being significantly less good.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Ak Gara posted:

I just don't understand. Willow... Time Bandits... Tom Cruise... Why did they stop hiring those kinda guys.

Real Dwarves gotta make a living.

Last time I was flipping through the channels and the snow white movie with thor and that pothead from twilight was on. The dwarves really wierded me out because I could tell who the actors were and knew that they were in fact normal sized people with their head cgi'd on to short fat bodies.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Jamesman posted:

See also: Star Wars.

It really is amazing how practical effects and visual trickery turn out to be cheaper and better looking after all these years. CGI is obviously necessary for a lot of things but having a real set and real actors and props to base it around is always a better result.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
The Hobbit dwarves for the most part looked way too, well, human. I'm probably biased because I saw John-Rhys Davies portrayal first, but he definitely looked like the sort of dwarf that I imagined from the books. Stocky and muscular. As hard as I tried, I couldn't think of Thorin's actor as a dwarf at all while watching the movies.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

And then you have that abominably fat gently caress who looks like he's one wafer-thin mint away from exploding.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Lotish posted:

And then you have that abominably fat gently caress who looks like he's one wafer-thin mint away from exploding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnhBDRUujVk

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Jamesman posted:

I remember reading that it was another thing to put at the studio's feet. For LoTR they had like 3 years of preproduction to perfect and implement all this stuff. For the Hobbit they had under 18 months.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Jamesman posted:

The rule of thumb for film making is that you have three options: you can make something inexpensive, you can make something quickly, and you can make something good, but you can only do two of them at once.

Don't know why they only choose one of the options for The Hobbit, but that's not the point.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Pleads posted:

It really is amazing how practical effects and visual trickery turn out to be cheaper and better looking after all these years. CGI is obviously necessary for a lot of things but having a real set and real actors and props to base it around is always a better result.

I always find the best examples of practical instead of CGI is either The Thing or Jurassic Park. The newest hobbit looked offensively bad in some parts, such as when Dain shows up and his character is quite obviously CG, it's noticeable and totally interrupts the film. I had read the actor was ill and unable to shoot in person or some such but it looked truly awful in respect to even the LotR films. Secondly, we have Azog who is CG rather than using practical effects which again, total visual interruption. All three hobbit films have already aged poorly because the heavy reliance on CG and that sucks because it's my favourite book. :(

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

I just kept thinking about this dude when I saw that dwarf.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

mng posted:

Well drat. That guy looks more like frodo then the main actor ever did.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Darth Freddy posted:

Well drat. That guy looks more like frodo then the main actor ever did.

That's Kiran Shah in whiteface.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

A truly gifted and talented actor

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Toriori posted:

I always find the best examples of practical instead of CGI is either The Thing or Jurassic Park. The newest hobbit looked offensively bad in some parts, such as when Dain shows up and his character is quite obviously CG, it's noticeable and totally interrupts the film. I had read the actor was ill and unable to shoot in person or some such but it looked truly awful in respect to even the LotR films. Secondly, we have Azog who is CG rather than using practical effects which again, total visual interruption. All three hobbit films have already aged poorly because the heavy reliance on CG and that sucks because it's my favourite book. :(

Both Azog and Bolg were shot as LotR-style prosthetic orcs, but were re-shot in post as CG characters because PJ wanted to change the designs.

Conan Stevens left Game of Thrones (he played The Mountain) to star in The Hobbit as prosthetic Bolg, but his entire performance was painted over in post with a CG Bolg played by someone else entirely. I always wondered how he felt about that.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Perestroika posted:

Dude has a weird face.

Dude has become his own caricature.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Re CGI / Good effects:

Stanley Kubricks 2001 a Space Odyssey has some of the best model, miniature and general film trickery ever made and I seriously suggest you watch it. There is nowhere in the film, despite being made in 1968 where you go "oh this looks SUPER fake!!". Stuff like the space station they even did by having slightly curved sets built and then getting people to lean forwards or backwards as they enterered/exited the shot to look like they were curving with the station.

It's absurd. Good effects and stagework will always beat good CGI.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Pleads posted:

Here's the practical effects that they replaced with lovely CGI (I think all of them) for the Thing prequel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBzpT7VmSaU

And here's an explanation
short version: http://vimeo.com/97585925
long version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBzpT7VmSaU

Uh, funny image?

The practical effect didn't work out so well here.

Bored has a new favorite as of 00:51 on Feb 12, 2015

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

he looks like a really bizarre urinal

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I think CGI's great for, say, replacing parts of a wide shot like in Wolf of Wall Street or something, but the closer you get to something the more practical it needs to be. If you're going to zoom in on the loving Dwarf in Five Armies, try and have an actual actor for his face.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Drone_Fragger posted:

Re CGI / Good effects:

Stanley Kubricks 2001 a Space Odyssey has some of the best model, miniature and general film trickery ever made and I seriously suggest you watch it. There is nowhere in the film, despite being made in 1968 where you go "oh this looks SUPER fake!!". Stuff like the space station they even did by having slightly curved sets built and then getting people to lean forwards or backwards as they enterered/exited the shot to look like they were curving with the station.

except for the monkeys

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Jamesman posted:

They actually used body doubles in Hobbit, too.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Drone_Fragger posted:

While I entirely agree with your sentiment, good CGI is CGI you don't even know is there. Like animals way back on the hillside in Brokeback Mountain. Not even something your brain has to think about. But when you replace the ENTIRE ENVIRONMENT with it, yeah, it becomes not a good thing.

I believe the issue is using CGI for something our brains have seen in the real world. When you see a digitally-created version of a thing like that, your brain knows something is hosed up about it. It might not be glaring, but it's there. But when ILM makes a dinosaur, that's something you've never seen in person and your brain accepts however it looks on the screen. When a man made out of liquid metal gets all hosed up with a shotgun, you don't even question how legitimately real it looks.

Good CGI is just trickery that you don't realize is there.

Ramaroot
Aug 24, 2008

I AM THE FIRE

Bored posted:

Here's the practical effects that they replaced with lovely CGI (I think all of them) for the Thing prequel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBzpT7VmSaU

Usually seeing the "behind the scenes" of a lot of gore/effects makes me less squeamish about them but watching this I got more squeamish. So amazing. Those people have the best jobs in the world.

My face watching gory movies

Ramaroot has a new favorite as of 01:14 on Feb 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

• Locked thread