Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah i imagine the government is pretty keen on ensuring allison has strong emotional bonds with squishy mortals

actually why isn't that a common theme in stories featuring absurdly powerful characters? you'd think you could mine some interesting material out of semi-artificial relationships pushed by outside agencies to keep potentially walking disasters grounded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Tenebrais posted:

I would hazard a guess that it only works because hair is dead matter. The same technique might maker her skin a bit red.

Pretty sure it's this. Human hair is much more easily damageable than skin so Allison's hair is equally, relatively, vulnerable.

Tollymain posted:

actually why isn't that a common theme in stories featuring absurdly powerful characters? you'd think you could mine some interesting material out of semi-artificial relationships pushed by outside agencies to keep potentially walking disasters grounded

You should check out Ellis's Supergod, it's about governments using superpowered beings instead of nukes in an arms race and the American one is handled along these lines.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 11, 2015

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Tollymain posted:

yeah i imagine the government is pretty keen on ensuring allison has strong emotional bonds with squishy mortals

Thanks for the idea!

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

McSpanky posted:

Pretty sure it's this. Human hair is much more easily damageable than skin so Allison's hair is equally, relatively, vulnerable.

Alternately, it's because her hair is conceptually further from her personhood. Someone with no hair is just a bald person. Someone with no skin is a shrieking horror of meat and bone.

In other words: narrative convenience. Don't worry about it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Male Man posted:

shrieking horror of meat and bone
Stashing that away in a vault for if I ever write a horror story. Thank you.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Tollymain posted:

This also happens in J. Michael Straczynski's version of Squadron Supreme (Supreme Power), Millar's execrable version of the Hulk in the Ultimate universe, and of course Watchmen. You're right, though, it doesn't come up as often as it probably should.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Tollymain posted:

It's not anything sinister, it's a little more extreme than most therapeutic relationships but it's the same basic idea--you need this kind of rapport for therapy to work at all. Rosenblum is also the scientist investigating her anomaly (which is unrealistic but probably a nod to comic book science) so it makes sense to gather the sample in a way that furthers their relationship rather than something dehumanizing.

Just because it's the government doesn't mean it's a conspiracy, you know?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh i don't think it's particularly sinister in this case. just not at all accidental either :v:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I'd be interested in a series about a barber that deals with super powered clientele. I can't imagine that there is much demand in Allison's universe for barbershops to stock liquid nitrogen and circular saws.

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 12, 2015

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Have we ever seen Allison walking around with bare legs? Because she always seems to be either wearing pants or leggings under a skirt.

EDIT: Book 1 has her wearing shorts, so I suppose this is more of a "just don't think about it" issue. Fair enough, I suppose. Too close to creepy town.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Feb 12, 2015

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Perhaps in this universe Gillette has a line of his and her angle grinders?

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
I wonder how she gets her nails done.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Have we ever seen Allison walking around with bare legs? Because she always seems to be either wearing pants or leggings under a skirt.

EDIT: Book 1 has her wearing shorts, so I suppose this is more of a "just don't think about it" issue. Fair enough, I suppose. Too close to creepy town.

Only in summer, because then the sun is closer and it's easier for NASA to launch her into it.

(She gets back by swimming through outer space.)

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Atmus posted:

I wonder how she gets her nails done.

Nail biter.

Gorilla Salad posted:

That isn't dirt, girl has straight up hobbit feet.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 12, 2015

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

So they...incinerate it? Must be worried about someone trying to clone her.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
You can't clone someone from hair unless you pull it out by the roots.

Incinerating it is what normally happens to short hair clippings, I think.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

thespaceinvader posted:

Burned hair loving stinks, I'd imagine 'normal' hair clippings are just thrown away.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

thespaceinvader posted:

You have to justify military spending somehow to hide black-ops. "Yes we needed that furnace to burn Mega-Girl's hair trimmings, yes." :covers up plans for f35:

:f35 plans burst into flames:

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I want to see Allison go talk to Cleaver and convince him to leave his life of crime to become her hairdresser.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

nimby posted:

I want to see Allison go talk to Cleaver and convince him to leave his life of crime to become her hairdresser.

I was thinking that maybe you could take some of his tumors and line scissors with them, but even then would a normal human have the strength to cut the hair of MEGAGIRL???

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I'm really hoping Allison is playing dumb to get information and not actually this loving stupid to not think that Moonshadow is not the killer. I'm hoping.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Hollismason posted:

I'm really hoping Allison is playing dumb to get information and not actually this loving stupid to not think that Moonshadow is not the killer. I'm hoping.

So far it looks like she is playing dumb. She's set up and pushed the Moonshadow idea twice and gotten odd responses from the Doctor each time. If they are setting this up as the Doctor having a relative or a friend who is a rape victim and thus sympathetic to Moonshadow's cause then you've got the later's government support right there. It wouldn't even have to be a big secret government cabal. And it also saves the writer from having to create and build up another character.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Hollismason posted:

If she was playing dumb, saying "it looked like I saw Moonshadow" would pretty well defeat the purpose.

From our point of view, it's clear that it was Moonshadow--we've seen her do it, and no alternate possibilities have been presented. But from Allison's point of view, she only saw a very small part of the killer's face, for a split second, she knows of more than one biodynamic who could have committed these murders, and most importantly, she wants to give her friend (or at least longtime colleague) the benefit of the doubt.

Otherkinsey Scale fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 18, 2015

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Is it just me or was there no alt text for today's comic?

Also, the doctor's right. It's amazing it didn't happen sooner.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
The alt text often comes a fair bit after the comic itself updates. I'm not sure why.

I've even seen the alt text change from one thing to another.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Some people take longer to come up with a good zinger.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gorilla Salad posted:

Also, the doctor's right. It's amazing it didn't happen sooner.

Well I imagine that's what a lot of the "supervillains' were.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I was thinking along those lines the other day. For a normal person, you have one bad day and you move on. If you have superpowers, your one bad day could very easily do a lot of damage. Or maybe someone has screwed you over and you just want what's yours. If you have powers and they don't and things get heated, well that's going to make it a "thing".

Then, suddenly, the media gets involved. Words like "evil" and "supervillain" get thrown around because they're ratings gold. The military is called in and, if you're really unlucky, costumed psychopaths turn up wanting to hurt you until you break.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The Doc's perspective on the matter is cold, brutal, pragmatic, and uncomfortably frank.

It makes the issue of the morality of violence against sexual predators seem short-sighted compared to the macro issue of the entire world potentially being very violently upended by people and demographics traditionally without power now having a surplus of it. The Moonshadow case is just a single, gruesome example of this phenomenon. It was a nice touch, I thought, hammering home the horrifying scope of real-world statistics of domestic violence fatalities and how little attention people give them compared to how discussion practically exploded around this arc's high-profile murders (and one assault, by Allison).

Honestly, it makes those pages and pages of lovely arguments feel like a serious case of missing the forest for the trees.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
So will future generations of Biodynamic individuals also be randomly distributed, or will the normal form of gene inheritance take over now that the first generation has been "seeded".

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm really curious now about what happened in the more oppressive countries in the world as biodynamics broke out.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Well...holy poo poo.

This comic continues to be the best loving thing.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The next page will just be the Doctor handing her a copy of The Fountainhead and saying " Be our John Galt , Allison"

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Hollismason posted:

The next page will just be the Doctor handing her a copy of The Fountainhead and saying " Be our John Galt , Allison"

Keep proving your title right, dude

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

That doctor's got some good philosophizing going on, but vigilante killings are still A Bad Thing*, and Bad Things should be stopped. A societal shift in power is interesting, but yo, killing's bad and it's worth trying to put out that specific fire if you have an idea of who did it, even as you try to take a step back and try to find a more elegant, global and societal solution to many of the Bad Things happening out there.

*One of many bad things, including rape, sexual assault and misogyny in the law, which should also be stopped!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Ofaloaf posted:

That doctor's got some good philosophizing going on, but vigilante killings are still A Bad Thing*, and Bad Things should be stopped. A societal shift in power is interesting, but yo, killing's bad and it's worth trying to put out that specific fire if you have an idea of who did it, even as you try to take a step back and try to find a more elegant, global and societal solution to many of the Bad Things happening out there.

*One of many bad things, including rape, sexual assault and misogyny in the law, which should also be stopped!

This is my take on it as well.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Ofaloaf posted:

Maybe she's secretly Dr. Horrible (pun intended) and thinks it'd just be treating a symptom? The fish rots from the head, as they say. So maybe her thinking is that they should cut off the head.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Poison Mushroom posted:

Maybe she's secretly Dr. Horrible (pun intended) and thinks it'd just be treating a symptom? The fish rots from the head, as they say. So maybe her thinking is that they should cut off the head.

In some ways it seems like her opinion is just a twin to "let's ignore Islamic terrorism, which doesn't actually kill that many people, and focus on stopping car accidents, which kill lots of people. Making terrorism a front-page issue while people getting killed in car accidents all the time is business as usual is a sign that somebody has an agenda."

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

In some ways it seems like her opinion is just a twin to "let's ignore Islamic terrorism, which doesn't actually kill that many people, and focus on stopping car accidents, which kill lots of people. Making terrorism a front-page issue while people getting killed in car accidents all the time is business as usual is a sign that somebody has an agenda."

Look, just like car accidents are an unavoidable part of having modern transportation, women getting murdered by their partners is just part of how things are. What do you mean I'm normalizing violence against women?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Anders Breivik is an atheist, watch out for atheist terrorism!!! Timothy McVeigh considered himself christian, as do all those folks who threaten to attack abortion clinics...lots of christian terrorism there. Many references to 'islamic' terrorism are mostly dogwhistle.

Crazy people gonna do crazy things regardless of what they use to justify it.

Moonshadow is both a biodynamic and a murderer/terrorist. The only thing connecting the two is her methods.

• Locked thread