Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Who Dat posted:

So I'm about to start playing this :krad: game again and I have a question about character creation since I'm on a Preferred player model or whatever. I'm probably going to play Inquisitor. If I purchase Miraluka legacy race through the store or whatever, can I make a Miraluka Inquisitor? The mouse over for the locked races makes me think so but before I waste 600 e-bucks I wanted to make sure.

I literally haven't touched this game since I goofed off with SFDental at release.

Yep, buying the race unlocks it for whatever class you want. Best is pure blood Sith Jedi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012
SWTOR Cartel Coin cards are 10% off at Best Buy right now.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Just started playing this game a week or so ago, having a great time so far, I like the "bioware rpg with dungeons and BGs" they've got going. Rolled a marauder and while the story was pretty entertaining, I found the gameplay to be pretty uninspiring, things didn't really die fast enough to warrant my relative squishiness, so I've rolled an operative instead and it's miles better. The story is way cooler as well!

If there's an opening in TNG for me I'd love an invite so I can hang out with goons!

nonentity
Dec 19, 2005

If I were small & bird shaped, I could fly.

Medullah posted:

Man I love you, Nonentity.

Aww.

:3

Also, new thread goons, we have an IRC dedicated to this here game. It's on SYNIRC and it's #torgoons (of which a few of us from launch still hang out... every day... )

For what it's worth.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

nonentity posted:

Aww.

:3

Also, new thread goons, we have an IRC dedicated to this here game. It's on SYNIRC and it's #torgoons

For what it's worth.

I have that in the OP. Do people actually show up in it? Do you guys also chat on AIM and trade pogs and dial into BBS? :D

quote:

There is also supposedly an irc channel where goons hang out, #torgoons on synirc.

nonentity
Dec 19, 2005

If I were small & bird shaped, I could fly.

Medullah posted:

I have that in the OP. Do people actually show up in it? Do you guys also chat on AIM and trade pogs and dial into BBS? :D

Yes. there's a two pog requirement.

A few of us show up, I log in every day. Just to goonchat about star worlds and show off junk I build.

Sometime we talk about clocks.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

nonentity posted:

A few of us show up, I log in every day. Just to goonchat about star worlds and show off junk I build.

That's cool. Keep posting cool things you built, so I'll have something neato to buy when I come back to the game. :D

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

nonentity posted:

So it's more active than the goon guild, then.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Ainsley McTree posted:

So it's more active than the goon guild, then.

Haha this is so sadly true. I try to start conversations when I'm logged in but usually it's just dead air.

LTD
Sep 5, 2009

Khako posted:

I've been enjoying the starfighter portion as well. I bought Elite Dangerous on a whim and could barely fly the ship but it is much easier in TOR. I get a lot of hits and assists but I'm not 100% sure how the default missiles work with the strike, do I just hold right click until it fires? I've tried releasing it when the crosshairs line up but it resets.

Hold until you hear it lock, then release. Default missiles take 3.5 seconds to get a lock I think. It is a long rear end time. See those two large circles pretty much in middle of your screen? They are firing arcs for your lasers and missiles, you need to have your target inside these arcs to have a change to score a hit (lasers) or to maintain a missile lock(missiles). Different lasers/missiles have arcs of different sizes.
This screenshot does good job in making a pretty simple UI look more complex than it is:
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/357/f/4/gsfuiexplained_by_silverelfshadows-d6z54b8.jpg
But you see the firing arcs and what I mean.

T1 Strike is a great ship for learning the basics. After that, it remains a great ship. I would switch your default missiles to Clusters as soon as possible; Clusters have much shorter lock-on time, much larger firing arc. Trade offs with range and damage. In practice, spamming clusters is very easy. Meanwhile, getting even occasional hits with other missiles is somewhat harder. Almost everything you shoot at has 1-2 reliable ways to avoid or break missile locks even after you've fired one. Ability to spam missiles helps with this.

Tier 1 Strike has unique feature of sporting two sets of lasers. You switch between them by pressing "1". In other slot, you default with Heavy Lasers. They are pretty awesome, long range and great to start with. Just stick around 3k-6k+ range of enemy when you can and fire away. Your other slot starts with terrible poo poo lasers, which you wanna switch to either Ions or Quads asap.
Using either Heavies and Ions or Quads and Ions is ultimately what you wanna go for. I personally like the former. Idea is to strip shields with ions, then quickly switch to other lasers while ramming clusters in rear end of your enemy. Three or so ion hits on shields is enough to make full shields of anything disappear. Just keep in mind ions do no damage at all to hull of enemy.

LTD fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Feb 12, 2015

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

If anyone cares, the Star Wars Humble Bundle added -

Star Wars™ Jedi Knight Dark Forces II
Star Wars™ Jedi Knight™ II: Jedi Outcast™
Star Wars™ Starfighter™

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

LTD posted:

Stuff about GSF

I've played a bit of this and it was pretty fun, though I played it at the launch of it. Have you played Star Conflict? Curious how it compares to that.

Khako
Dec 24, 2008

Lee #61

I hear the co-pilot say "Lock!" sometimes, then I let go but it doesn't seem to happen all the time with other chatter that happens. The picture actually explained everything pretty well, I skipped their tutorial and went straight in so I ignored everything but the middle of the screen for a while. I have quad lasers with proton torpedoes at the moment, Gunships are pretty rough to take on though. Most of them camp at a point and I get pretty low by the time I get in range. I start flying in random directions but I think I just look idiotic as they still snipe me sometimes :|

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I'm thinking of resubbing to this and finishing the class stories I never did. I haven't played since before Galactic Strongholds, can anyone give me a run down on the changes besides the new expansion?

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009
Here's your PvP guide:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

KittyEmpress posted:

I'm thinking of resubbing to this and finishing the class stories I never did. I haven't played since before Galactic Strongholds, can anyone give me a run down on the changes besides the new expansion?

Most of the changes have been just minor balancing adjustments, no massive sweeping changes at least in the last year or so. Just pick the one you want to play and read the Dulfy guide linked on the second post.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

Here's your PvP guide:

Ahaha, they even wear the right colors if you're playing Empire wargames.

e: oddly enough I do miss the old talent system, if only because it's replacement is so dumb and unimaginative. It's also made switching specs more of a pain, unless I'm doing it wrong? As opposed to having two saved builds, I've been having to reset and then select from DPS/other DPS/heals and then pick out my boring perks.

Four Score fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 12, 2015

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

Here's your PvP guide:

As someone who has put hundreds of hours into PvP across three characters, this is absolutely spot on and all you need to see.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I said come in! posted:

As someone who has put hundreds of hours into PvP across three characters, this is absolutely spot on and all you need to see.

I agree, except that I side with the kid who's clearly just there because his parents are making him (ie, doing the daily quest)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Thanks, added the PvP guide to the 3rd post.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Based on my experiences the past few weeks, here's a guide for trying to watch cut scenes while in a group:

SpiDeR
Apr 30, 2002

Crystalline is fine too
In Kuat, I just spacebar to the decision screen, type my hello's, choose the choice, look at the outfit of whomever won for a second, then spacebar to the end and check if I need to refresh anything...

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Yea but Kuat is kind of a special case. There really isn't any story tied to it at all, and 1 decision that has no ramifications, and most anyone will have run it more than once. Anything else, most of those things aren't true.

Herb Stencil
Oct 22, 2012

Bonafide Homosaxual
Hey, so I'm starting again after a really long time and I have what turns out to be a metric gently caress-ton of cartel coins lying around. I am thinking of transferring my Republic smuggler over to Jedi Covenant just to be able to buy the race unlocks. However, it dawned on me that if I buy these they might only work for republic side... I can't seem to find an answer on google and I'll admit I'm too afraid to just try it. Also other than the speed boost mentioned in the OP, any suggestions on other essential things I should buy?

Herb Stencil fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Feb 12, 2015

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Race unlocks are Legacy-wide, as well as any Legacy unlocks under "Legacy" and not "Personal". The different is that you can only have one Legacy per server, so if you played characters on two different servers, you'd have to buy the unlocks twice.

e: also loving get Treek, then probably ship unlocks or a Stronghold (though if you're like me you'll just use TNG's because it's got a fully stocked bar and lots of half-naked Twi'lek men)

Four Score fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Feb 12, 2015

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Gave in and purchased 2 months of subscription, what are the first things I should do? I know I need to add a security key first.

LTD
Sep 5, 2009

Khako posted:

I hear the co-pilot say "Lock!" sometimes, then I let go but it doesn't seem to happen all the time with other chatter that happens. The picture actually explained everything pretty well, I skipped their tutorial and went straight in so I ignored everything but the middle of the screen for a while. I have quad lasers with proton torpedoes at the moment, Gunships are pretty rough to take on though. Most of them camp at a point and I get pretty low by the time I get in range. I start flying in random directions but I think I just look idiotic as they still snipe me sometimes :|

Yeah Gunships are a pain in the rear end for every Strike Fighter. Specially for an unmodded Strike. You are also very easy target for them; hitting you is much easier than hitting a Scout. On plus side, nothing is as tunnel visioned as a Gunship pilot. Sneaking up to them and scoring free hits is reasonably common. It pays to pay attention to who they have targeted.

Get used to noticing - right away - when a Gunship has fired at you. When this happens, use [ Target last enemy to attack me ]. Next, hit [ Look at my target] It is likely you have time to break line of sight to Gunship if you figure out where he is fast enough. Space in GSF is never empty, it is likely you got satelites, asteroids or some random poo poo within hugging distance, always. If you feel like you are lacking mobility, buy Barrel Roll for your Engine ability and get used to using it in offense and defense both. Also, remember Gunships have max range of 15km. Sometimes, you can just walk away before that 2nd or 3rd hit hits. Rail guns on Gunship also come with efficient min. range of around 3-4k meters, any closer and they just won't hit you. So, charging them is often a good option too. Though the fuckers are dangerous enough in a doghfight vs reasonably unmodified Strikes just as well.

LTD fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Feb 12, 2015

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:

First Bass posted:

Race unlocks are Legacy-wide, as well as any Legacy unlocks under "Legacy" and not "Personal". The different is that you can only have one Legacy per server, so if you played characters on two different servers, you'd have to buy the unlocks twice.

e: also loving get Treek, then probably ship unlocks or a Stronghold (though if you're like me you'll just use TNG's because it's got a fully stocked bar and lots of half-naked Twi'lek men)

I learned this last night. Bought a race unlock on a server where I had a lvl 10 and Legacy thinking I could use that race unlock on a different server. Nope! That being said I made a Bounty Hunter on JC for goon fun and I'm at least unironically enjoying the story. When I get lvl 10 I'll make my Miraluka Sith Inquisitor. :getin:

Any inviters gonna be on tonight?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Tim Jong-un posted:

Gave in and purchased 2 months of subscription, what are the first things I should do? I know I need to add a security key first.

Security key is good, makes your account more secure along with giving you 100 cartel coins per month even if you're unsubscribed.

Really there isn't a lot of prep work - pick a class that looks fun and jump in. If you're not sure what class to play, tell us what kind of playstyle appeals to you and we can help guide you.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Who Dat posted:

Any inviters gonna be on tonight?

I'll be on for a bit when the servers are back up today and then probably later on tonight. Look for Sassic/Sassik.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
Started playing this again and hit level 10 on my Agent. I feel like my companion does more damage than the ones I've previously played with on the Republic side. Gonna look for TNG tonight and maybe give the starships a whirl. Speaking of, does the starship game mode give any bonuses to the base game?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Zet posted:

Started playing this again and hit level 10 on my Agent. I feel like my companion does more damage than the ones I've previously played with on the Republic side. Gonna look for TNG tonight and maybe give the starships a whirl. Speaking of, does the starship game mode give any bonuses to the base game?

Your presence is probably higher than it was before (finished companion storylines nets you +10 each to all your characters, getting a human to 50 is +50 or +100, etc). More presence means more damage.

And the only bonus starfighter gives to the main game is cosmetic gear and decorations.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Medullah posted:

Yep, buying the race unlocks it for whatever class you want. Best is pure blood Sith Jedi.

Pureblood Sith Jedi Consular for maximum amusement factor.

"The sith are plotting to infiltrate our Republic!" "Yes, as someone who is LITERALLY SITH I understand your concern."

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Medullah posted:

And the only bonus starfighter gives to the main game is cosmetic gear and decorations.

...and XP and cash which can be handy for new players.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Lum_ posted:

...and XP and cash which can be handy for new players.

True, but nothing unique other than cosmetic stuff.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I feel like I remember the xp rewards actually being quite generous back when GSF came out. Dunno if that's been nerfed since then, though (or how bad the queue times are).

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Vette out damages my marauder by a good amount. Likely it's not even a close comparison, and I have way better arms/armor.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

LTD posted:

This post is about GSF and why GSF is awesome.

I'd add a couple of recommendations for newbies:

- before you play any GSF, head to the Combat Training area on fleet and pick up the PVP GSF Daily and Weekly quests. they're extremely casual friendly (daily: complete 2 rounds, wins count for 2 / weekly: complete 7 rounds, wins count for 2) and they reward you with lots of ship and fleet requisition.

- don't spend your fleet requisition on anything but unlocking ships, at least at first. unlock at least one scout, bomber and gunship as soon as you can. this is because the PVP GSF quests reward you with ship requisition for all the ships you have unlocked including the ones you didn't use. this means that while you are mastering your strike fighter, you're stockpiling ship requisition for your scout, bomber and gunship so that when you feel like giving them a try down the road, you'll be able to upgrade at least some of the components immediately.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

Thanks, added the PvP guide to the 3rd post.

If you want a real answer this thread on the official forums is fairly exhaustive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

shadok posted:

I'd add a couple of recommendations for newbies:

- before you play any GSF, head to the Combat Training area on fleet and pick up the PVP GSF Daily and Weekly quests. they're extremely casual friendly (daily: complete 2 rounds, wins count for 2 / weekly: complete 7 rounds, wins count for 2) and they reward you with lots of ship and fleet requisition.

- don't spend your fleet requisition on anything but unlocking ships, at least at first. unlock at least one scout, bomber and gunship as soon as you can. this is because the PVP GSF quests reward you with ship requisition for all the ships you have unlocked including the ones you didn't use. this means that while you are mastering your strike fighter, you're stockpiling ship requisition for your scout, bomber and gunship so that when you feel like giving them a try down the road, you'll be able to upgrade at least some of the components immediately.

The minelayer (M-7 Razorwire) is 2,500FltReq and you can get that pretty quickly. It's the easiest ship to fly and the most powerful ship for sat defense. You almost need no remodding (get hyperspace beacon and maybe comm sensors). The second bomber is a dronelayer, and best for TDM with the repair probes and railgun drones; it's much tougher.

Then I highly advise the S-13 Scout next. Thing is ridiculous. Moves fast, hits hard, turns great. The better you are at it, the more it does for you. It's weakness is a minefield (evasion doesn't help against seeker/concussions), so keep the S-12 around, equip it with toughness and the unique EMP field and you can wipe out minefields solo, shut down enemy drones, and even disable satellite defenses for several seconds.

Strikes are kind of advanced and require a lot of investment before they're of any capability. The T3 Striker is a support ship with a unique system ability of remote slicing.

I don't like gunships much. The Jurgoran is the only ship left I have to master, and it's a strike hybrid. I know accuracy is all important with gunships, so having a co-pilot like Quinn with Wingman is a must.

• Locked thread