Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Yeah, I have a 3ds but I want to get LInk between worlds next. I think I'll try FE7 or something.

I never quite got Zelda's enduring popularity because it's, like, the same game most times with some minute variations.

Same for mario for that matter.

Or most video game franchises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

]

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Popular Thug Drink posted:

the gunplay was fun, the graphics were good, and the health/companion mechanics were interesting if poorly utilized

the checkpoint/road network thing was crap. respawn rates were dumb and they didn't add anything to the game except as areas you could go to start a fight if you wanted to for some reason

the plot/factions/charaters were awful. both sides of the revolution were exactly the same. there was no message or moral or anything, to the extent that the african setting meant anything it was just somewhat unique and controversial but ultimately said nothing. it reads like a shelterd gamer's first exposure to postcolonialism

the checkpoints are carefully calibrated so that you can just ignore them if you want to (seriously, if you drive right through they will only chase you for a little bit), but you never feel safe outside of the safehouses you've cleared.

the sides of the revolution are meant to be exactly the same. the basic point is that it's a pissing match that's being prolonged by the western world selling arms and sending mercenaries to everyone that buys, with the player becoming complicit in that, and even more if you do the bonus objectives. the only morality is to engage in genuinely altruistic behavior and sacrifice yourself for the innocent.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

p.s. i blame FE4 for Fire Emblem fans' weird fixation on incest

i blame tvtropes for western fans doing it

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

i was the guy who started with FE10 (one of the harder ones) because i was 14 and went :swoon: at micaiah

micaiah is entry-tier. nailah, volug, stefan...

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

nutranurse posted:

I never quite got Zelda's enduring popularity because it's, like, the same game most times with some minute variations.

I'm one of those people that just loves LTTP. I played Ocarina once and never really went back to 3d Zelda afterwards.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
FE7 is the only one I've played and it's pretty legit, but I don't know how the internet gets so obsessed over a bunch of paper thin characters. I guess not playing as a child hurts the experience or something.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
how could you forget the father of sothe's children, even if he'd break half of your bones in a bear hug

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

how could you forget the father of sothe's children, even if he'd break half of your bones in a bear hug

well, for one thing, he already has soren and ranulf, and for another thing, he's also entry-tier hasubandu.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Effectronica posted:

i blame tvtropes for western fans doing it

I used to love sacred stones and then i found other fans online and now i am considerably less in love with it

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

i dont want to believe its real but in my heart i know it is

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

forbidden lesbian posted:

I used to love sacred stones and then i found other fans online and now i am considerably less in love with it

hahahahahahahahahahaha i just remembered that there exists a chunk of the western fandom that actually thinks that the two protagonist twins get married in the japanese version and that it was censored in the west cause we're pruuuuuuudes

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

i think that the dude just calmly turned himself in after killing three people is the thing that bothers me the most

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

hahahahahahahahahahaha i just remembered that there exists a chunk of the western fandom that actually thinks that the two protagonist twins get married in the japanese version and that it was censored in the west cause we're pruuuuuuudes

i just remembered someone going on about that in the let's play forum lmao

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I'm one of those people that just loves LTTP. I played Ocarina once and never really went back to 3d Zelda afterwards.

Play Majora's Mask

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Effectronica posted:

i just remembered someone going on about that in the let's play forum lmao

is it archived because forums search isn't turning anything up

anyway i gotta see this trainwreck :unsmigghh:

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

McDowell posted:

Play Majora's Mask

Soooooo hyyyyyyype!

:boom:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Crain posted:

Best part about Kanye is all the mad white people he creates.

I love kanye and I'd change nothing about him.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I think the search engine getting redone nixed archives past a certain point or something. At least I can't search that far back anymore/get search results from anything all that old.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

It probably is. I think it was in the FE8 lp, but my memory fails me.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

forbidden lesbian posted:

i dont want to believe its real but in my heart i know it is

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

nutranurse posted:

I think the search engine getting redone nixed archives past a certain point or something. At least I can't search that far back anymore/get search results from anything all that old.

as far as i can tell it goes through active threads up to a certain point (e.g. not within the past few hours or so?); old threads that happen to not be archived yet are good too

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
no class eh :allears:

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

haha, yeah beck show that kanye west how using samples and stupid auto-tune is for untalented hacks. This is what you're music is about.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
little richard is so rude putting his foot up on the piano while he plays :mad:

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Zeitgueist posted:

no class eh :allears:

One might say he's Uppity

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

i accidentally clicked on that thread about the shooting and people are unironically using the south park hate crime argument and talking about the victims not being blameless because by being muslim they are instigating their murders?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

kustomkarkommando posted:

haha, yeah beck show that kanye west how using samples and stupid auto-tune is for untalented hacks. This is what you're music is about.

Beck's response was actually super chill. That's list some white douche's pissy reaction

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Rygar201 posted:

Beck's response was actually super chill. That's list some white douche's pissy reaction

what's cool about all these macklemore and beck and kanye affairs is generally how chill the artists in question are b/c they can just rely on their fans and everyone else to whip up a whirlwind of outrage. that must be mad cathartic in some way.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
maybe it's just me, but for me, i prefer rock and roll and hip hop artists to be civil, not rebels

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Rygar201 posted:

I know, beck is a chill guy.

I am laughing at all the people mad at kanye.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

McDowell posted:

Play Majora's Mask

Eh no thanks. I know it has a cool story and all but my guess is the dungeons/bosses are still Ocarina-like.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I mean like beck started his career being a slacker guy rapping lazily about stupid poo poo. Have people forgotten this?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

#whoisbeck

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Effectronica posted:

FE6 is pretty bleh. Play 4 or 9 imo.

Noted, thanks! I don't have a Gamecube anymore though; is there any other way to legally play 9?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Eh no thanks. I know it has a cool story and all but my guess is the dungeons/bosses are still Ocarina-like.

Nah, the masks and the different species abilities add alot.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Majorian posted:

Noted, thanks! I don't have a Gamecube anymore though; is there any other way to legally play 9?
I think it works on a Wii. (although you may not have a Wii either.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

• Locked thread