Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teslavi
May 28, 2006
Ridiculous.

Notorious QIG posted:

A level 0 Plague Doctor of mine had 100% status fix and 1 HP heal though :confused: Even 1 HP makes the skill a lot better anyway since now you can pull someone from Death's Door.

Yeah, that tooltip lies. At level 1 it's 70% chance to cure target and 50% chance to cure self. It's likely rounding in a way that it shouldn't.

edit: Already fixed apparently, and they buffed it too.

Teslavi fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Feb 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Teslavi posted:

Yeah, that tooltip lies. At level 1 it's 70% chance to cure target and 50% chance to cure self. It's likely rounding in a way that it shouldn't.

The latest patch notes say they fixed the rounding problems.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Anyone know anything about how they fixed the bug in the Mac version of always getting a positive and negative quirk on EVERY mission? Do I have to start a new game for that to be fixed? I really don't want to do that since I'm on week 35, and I like my town having all the shiny upgrades I've bought.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Does doing a token amount of damage every turn prevent the delay penalty?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

natetimm posted:

Making a group with 0 torches, 0 food of level 0 dudes to grind your way back up by continuously retreating is not only not fun, it's a one-way ticket to the crazy house for all of your guys that retreat.

Which you then boot, replenish with four new jobbers from the cart, and repeat. You know you can get rid of units, right?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

natetimm posted:

The beginning of the game intentionally throws small dungeons at you the first couple of times to get some of your guys situated. Making a group with 0 torches, 0 food of level 0 dudes to grind your way back up by continuously retreating is not only not fun, it's a one-way ticket to the crazy house for all of your guys that retreat. It's actually faster and easier just to restart.

The rest of the game intentionally throws small dungeons at you too. You don't seem to understand how this game works man.

We've talked about it at length. You can totally complete easy dungeons with 0 torches and 0 food, but fighting as long as you can and then retreating is valid too.

Yeah, your guys all go crazy. So you fire them and hire 4 more for $0 that all have 0 stress. See how that works? Until you have the money to invest in people, you don't have to bother keeping them. You can just let them go rather than deal with the stress.

Trust me on this.

Teslavi
May 28, 2006
Ridiculous.

sirtommygunn posted:

The latest patch notes say they fixed the rounding problems.

Oh, I see, that was after the other patch. Thank god they finally fixed that.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

ErIog posted:

Anyone know anything about how they fixed the bug in the Mac version of always getting a positive and negative quirk on EVERY mission? Do I have to start a new game for that to be fixed? I really don't want to do that since I'm on week 35, and I like my town having all the shiny upgrades I've bought.

No they haven't, and the mac version didn't get the latest update today either so it's behind again.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

A.o.D. posted:

Does doing a token amount of damage every turn prevent the delay penalty?
It does seem to, I would assume also that the penalty won't apply as long as you use at least one damaging attack, even if it misses or is dodged. My guys are all too good to miss or be dodged, so I wasn't able to test it out that thoroughly :cool:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

My guys are all too good to miss or be dodged, so I wasn't able to test it out that thoroughly :cool:

Careful; that kinda hubris invites disaster. ;)

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Why doesn't upgrading Inspiring Tune seem to increase the stress relief? What are you spending money on?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

RightClickSaveAs posted:

It does seem to, I would assume also that the penalty won't apply as long as you use at least one damaging attack, even if it misses or is dodged. My guys are all too good to miss or be dodged, so I wasn't able to test it out that thoroughly :cool:

Overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lotish posted:

Why doesn't upgrading Inspiring Tune seem to increase the stress relief? What are you spending money on?

The JSON shows its calling 5 different ability functions in the code as you upgrade it, but we can't see the code so I don't know what the difference is at each level.

It could upgrade stress relief every other level or something? Maybe it got rounded off? :iiam:

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Zaphod42 posted:

The rest of the game intentionally throws small dungeons at you too. You don't seem to understand how this game works man.

We've talked about it at length. You can totally complete easy dungeons with 0 torches and 0 food, but fighting as long as you can and then retreating is valid too.

Yeah, your guys all go crazy. So you fire them and hire 4 more for $0 that all have 0 stress. See how that works? Until you have the money to invest in people, you don't have to bother keeping them. You can just let them go rather than deal with the stress.

Trust me on this.

I'll take your word for it and keep grinding, but getting weeks where all you get is plague doctors and jesters gets old fast.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

natetimm posted:

I'll take your word for it and keep grinding, but getting weeks where all you get is plague doctors and jesters gets old fast.

You should be getting enough resources from these grind-ey runs to upgrade the stagecoach so you get access to more people. You also don't need to always use the newbies exclusively. Sometimes you'll have a guy get out of the last run with pretty low stress, and you can re-use them for your next grind run if you need to. So I'll typically create a party of mostly newbies, and then like one low-stress level 1 guy to patch holes in the party composition.

This grinding is also good for getting characters you want that have good quirks. You don't have to dismiss all the guys from the grind run if you don't want to. You can get rid of the weak ones, and keep the ones you want to continue grooming later. So these runs are a good way to get resources to upgrade the Hamlet, get money for upgrading/destressing your high level recruits, and also good for finding recruits suitable for training up.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Do you always get a Plague Doc and Vestal in the first week?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Do you always get a Plague Doc and Vestal in the first week?

Yes, but their skills are randomized unlike the tutorial characters.

Teslavi
May 28, 2006
Ridiculous.

Zaphod42 posted:

The JSON shows its calling 5 different ability functions in the code as you upgrade it, but we can't see the code so I don't know what the difference is at each level.

It could upgrade stress relief every other level or something? Maybe it got rounded off? :iiam:

It goes from 60% chance to 70% chance when the stress heal stays the same, then back down to 60% when the stress heal increases.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Is plague doctor worth taking now?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

natetimm posted:

Jesters are pretty good tho. And so is Plague Doctor, since the latest patch.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I honestly don't get why so many people say they need to scum with teams of sacrificial recruits to make money. I never had to do that and wouldn't because it sounds boring as hell. The only situation in which you'd need to do that is if you made bad spending decisions. If you don't spend your gold loosely and keep a small bank to fall back on, you'll never have to scum for loot even if you fail several missions. The game gives you a VERY generous amount of starting gold. If you decide to throw it all away on upgrades, so be it, but there's nothing forcing you to do that.

I mean I made that same mistake on my first run, but I don't think its the games fault.

vandalism posted:

I'd say yes, especially early on. That blight damage is actually really strong even from level 1. Their backline stun is also even better now.

EDIT: And really if you're new, don't feel bad if your first attempt at this game goes poorly. Its got a step learning curve but becomes way easier once you figure out all the mechanics and what enemies are capable of.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 12, 2015

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Is it me, or is the Jester terrible? 19 starting hp, and his best skill (Solo) can only be used from the very front, and his main attack skill (Dirk) gets him to the very front! :confused:

I tried taking several of them on short level 1 missions and each one died.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Accidentally clicked on this thread, read OP, bought game. Super fun, and challenging, which is the best part.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Trust me on this.

I kind of dislike that this is a valid tactic. Treating "heroes" as disposable is silly, feels way too cheesy, and makes the game too easy, in my opinion.

I understand the mentality behind hiring people for free, but firing should carry a penalty, maybe +10 stress to everyone in your roster, or something like that.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Jester is awesome, solo is maybe his worst skill, and dirk is only good if you build your party around attacks that move your guys around.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Why the hell do these assholes cause so much stress purely by spilling wine on my guy in full plate. :argh:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

ZypherIM posted:

Jester is awesome, solo is maybe his worst skill, and dirk is only good if you build your party around attacks that move your guys around.

What other skill does he have that is good?

I get that he makes people bleed, but his base damage is way too low for him to be a valid DoT'er.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

vandalism posted:

I think yes. I have a Occultist, PD, BH, Leper as my go to party now. The PD has quirks that make her fastest on the first turn. She uses that turn to bomb the back row with remarkably reliable stuns, letting the BH instantly kill at least one target with Finish 'Em. Then the Occultist, assuming no one needs healing, bombards the survivor or marks a bag of hit points. The Leper Hews through the front row, usually killing off one thing or seriously weakening it, Chops the big bag of HP, or uses Revenge to prepare for something that I know I can't kill in two turns. Then the BH kills the marked target if there is one or just attacks. If I don't want the PD to stun the back, she can blight the biggest bag of hit points for considerable damage (5-7 base, but the blight tics are like 5 apiece and she can stack them in longer fights) or she can buff the Leper or BH with her damage buffs. If the Occultist lands a bleed on a teammate (and the bleed from a maxed occultist heal is not small time), she can purge it and contribute to the healing as well. The Leper's camp ability to increase his accuracy, combined with the BH's accuracy and crit buff, makes his attacks incredibly accurate, removing his biggest weakness. The Occultist then puts a speed buff on himself and increases the BH's damage, and the PD can use the remaining respite to heal or remove stress like a doctor should. The four of them just seem to mesh with each other really, really well and they are currently my favorite combination.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Feb 12, 2015

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

enraged_camel posted:

What other skill does he have that is good?

I get that he makes people bleed, but his base damage is way too low for him to be a valid DoT'er.

Jester isn't really there for damage. He's got a whole party stress heal and a party buff that increases accuracy, speed, and crit.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Zurai posted:

Jester isn't really there for damage. He's got a whole party stress heal and a party buff that increases accuracy, speed, and crit.

His stress-heal is single target.

His party buff increases party accuracy by 2 and crit chance by 1%.

Seems abysmal to me.

http://darkestdungeon.gamepedia.com/Jester

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

That said, I really like having a Jester that can use Slice Off--it helps when a Hellion's If It Bleeds won't finish the target fast enough.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

enraged_camel posted:

Seems abysmal to me.

No, his stress heal is not single target, it's party-wide (although sometimes it won't affect literally every member). And the buff adds speed as you level it up.

Lotish posted:

That said, I really like having a Jester that can use Slice Off--it helps when a Hellion's If It Bleeds won't finish the target fast enough.

Yeah, they have some useful damage skills too, but they aren't really a primary DPS character like the Graverobber or Highwayman.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

enraged_camel posted:

Seems abysmal to me.

Try upgrading the skills because that party buff is excellent

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

Try upgrading the skills because that party buff is excellent

Yeah, if one of them can live long enough, I'll do that. :)

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

The game keeps handing me jester tambourines with Deathblow resistance, so I kind of wish I could mail you one or something.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

So, I fought the hag, not for the first time. I took most of my A-team plus a slightly underleveled grave robber I wanted to rank up for higher difficulty missions. It was a complete loving disaster. My damage dealers got completely screwed on their positioning as people went into and out of the pot. The grave robber kept whiffing with the hag at 3 hp or less, broke and became Hopeless, endured no less than four hits at death's door, and finally landed a killing blow after every other party member had been boiled alive and murdered.

He gained the quirk 'tough.'

I love this game.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

enraged_camel posted:

I kind of dislike that this is a valid tactic. Treating "heroes" as disposable is silly, feels way too cheesy, and makes the game too easy, in my opinion.

I'm just saying, your disposed-of heroes ought to come back as tougher enemies/mini bosses in more difficult dungeons.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

I understand the mentality behind hiring people for free, but firing should carry a penalty, maybe +10 stress to everyone in your roster, or something like that.

Its only useful if you're in a position where you're doing really poorly, so its not really all that big of an exploit.

Punishing people who are doing poorly while not really doing anything to people who are doing well is the kind of difficulty/challenge you DON'T want, actually. So I disagree.

Also as many people said earlier in the thread, treating adventurers as disposable actually fits the theme really really well, and gets you into the mentality.

S.J. posted:

I'm just saying, your disposed-of heroes ought to come back as tougher enemies/mini bosses in more difficult dungeons.

I'm all for this though.

Internet Kraken posted:

I honestly don't get why so many people say they need to scum with teams of sacrificial recruits to make money. I never had to do that and wouldn't because it sounds boring as hell. The only situation in which you'd need to do that is if you made bad spending decisions. If you don't spend your gold loosely and keep a small bank to fall back on, you'll never have to scum for loot even if you fail several missions. The game gives you a VERY generous amount of starting gold. If you decide to throw it all away on upgrades, so be it, but there's nothing forcing you to do that.

You're confused because nobody's saying that. What we've been saying repeatedly is "If you gently caress up, don't restart, you can pull yourself up by your bootstraps by hiring and firing cheap teams".

That's not the same thing as "you have to hire and fire cheap teams to make money." Do you understand? People are going to gently caress up and spend money on the wrong things. Or they're going to buy too many supplies for a team that gets TPK'd because they didn't understand the rules. You can start over, but you can also keep going by using free teams.

Nobody who has level 3+ heroes should be bothering with that anymore. Its just within the context of the previous discussion we were having about the game not having a loss condition...

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 12, 2015

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
There needs to be a warning window if you try to dismiss a character holding a trinket or that trinket should be returned to your inventory. Goodbye ancestral Bounty Hunter trinket that I have been holding for so long. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Is there a changelog somewhere? Mobs are getting stun resistances, Hellions are getting debuffs when using Breakthru

Shits hosed!