Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
Anyone else think that if Clinton wins the primary that the most popular GOP ad for the entire general will be the "took fire while landing in Bosnia video... transitions to footage of her landing and being greeted by children"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Mitt Romney posted:

Anyone else think that if Clinton wins the primary that the most popular GOP ad for the entire general will be the "took fire while landing in Bosnia video... transitions to footage of her landing and being greeted by children"?

Possibly, but more likey it'll something so dumb/evil/petty the likes of us would never consider it.

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Hire actual Serbian snipers to fire at her and film the results

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I wonder how the Stewart haters will feel about Oliver 15 years from now. Not great, I am guessing.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mitt Romney posted:

I don't know, that doesn't sound like BENGHAZI BENGHAZI BENGHAZI to me.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Cliff Racer posted:

O'Malley? Jim Webb? They aren't awful candidates, just in a cycle where Hillary has sucked up so much support. Hell, you could probably come up with fifty sitting or former senators and governors who would be "palatable." Most of them wouldn't want to jump in the race but if Hillary leaves someone is going to go in there to be the status quo candidate.

isn't O'Malley the current go-to Cautionary Tale Tax Hound of american politics? I don't think we'd want to run somebody the Right could try and turn into a reverse Brownback, no matter how erroneously.

Republicans won a gubernatorial campaign in Maryland of all places, seemingly by campaigning against his record. That does not say great things for his viability on the national stage.

Granted, O'Malley's pretty personable by the Democrats' standards and that counts for a lot.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Feb 11, 2015

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Mitt Romney posted:

Already started. This morning on Fox and Friends, they were talking about Brian Williams' suspension. They immediately turned it from him lying to Hillary lying about the landing. They ended the segment with, "They both lied and I do not know which one is worse....but only one of them is running for President."

Edit: They also had people comment on Twitter and one of the comments (about Hillary lying) included "What does it matter now?"

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

PupsOfWar posted:

isn't O'Malley the current go-to Cautionary Tale Tax Hound of american politics? I don't think we'd want to run somebody the Right could try and turn into a reverse Brownback, no matter how erroneously.

Republicans won a gubernatorial campaign in Maryland of all places, seemingly by campaigning against his record. That does not say great things for his viability on the national stage.

Granted, O'Malley's pretty personable by the Democrats' standards and that counts for a lot.

I rather like O'Malley and probably will vote for him over Clinton if given the chance but I do think he'd be pretty weak against a lot of the usual economic criticisms. Still think he could take the general though, considering who he'd be up against. Cuomo would have some difficulty in this hypothetical situation getting party support but I think he could probably win the primary and even the general election if he got the Clintons' support along with their donors and campaign staff, in fact this would be the best time for him to do so considering how weak the Republican field is, and that's basically worse to me than Jeb Bush getting elected, which is pretty bad. Cuomo though represents to me some of the worst wings and interests in the Democratic Party though. I don't think he'll remain Governor forever though and think that if he doesn't go for it now he'll never get a shot, which is good because that basically guarantees we'll never see a President or even nominee Cuomo, way I see it.

Clinton is gonna run and win the primary at least though so this is all a hypothetical within a hypothetical.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

PupsOfWar posted:

I don't know, my sources tell me his replacement still should have won if he'd actually campaigned. His polling op was AWFUL and made him complacent. Also, he took the black vote for granted (being black himself) and didn't do anything to retain Obama/OMalley BaltCo supporters (who were getting pummeled with anti-tax Hogan stuff) either. It was identical to 2002: dumb candidate takes Dem leaning of state for granted, doesn't campaign, loses to candidate with no actual platform. Hogan would lose to any competent candidate in 2018.

Brown just sorta...existed.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
O'Malley's the kind of guy who'd make for a perfectly bland administration if he won, something of a throwback to the 19th century presidents.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mitt Romney posted:

Oh, I'm sure we'll see the Clinton Hate Machine rev up into full gear once primary season starts, dredging up every single negative attack against the Clintons from the past 20+ years.

The only question is, will that be enough to distract from the complete lack of a viable Republican candidate.

Edit: Oh, and Jeb Bush's Chief Technology Officer has resigned following that whole "calling women sluts on Twitter" thing.

DaveWoo fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 11, 2015

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Scott Walker Just Got Asked If He Believes in Evolution. He Punted.

quote:

"I'm going to punt on that one as well," Walker said after being asked if he was comfortable with the idea of evolution, and if he believes in it. "That's a question a politician shouldn't be involved in one way or the other."

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Don't see why. Every time he looks in a mirror he's staring down direct evidence of the missing link.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

He literally said the word punt. I'm trying to think of a worse way to dodge a question than saying, out loud, that you are indeed dodging the question.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

That's just another way of saying government shouldn't have a "side" and to teach both to kids.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mitt Romney posted:

That's just another way of saying government shouldn't have a "side" and to teach both to kids.

That may have been the point he was attempting to make, but he made it in the absolute most spineless way possible, short of shouting "Look! A decoy!" and quickly sprinting off stage.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Is there a word that's the opposite of chutzpah, where something is so spineless it wraps around to audacity? Because that's what we're looking at.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

That is truly the most worthless, garbage answer. My goodness.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 22, 2016

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Martin O'Malley doesn't like the AUMF.

quote:

The new AUMF should address ISIS specifically, and mitigate any unintended consequences by including clear language on the use of ground troops and the length and terms of engagement.

This is also Bernie's position :raise:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Anthony Pollina, the sometimes-leader of the Vermont Progressives has introduced a bill that would set VT's primary the same day as NH's.

If it passes, which is unlikely, it could produce an interesting problem for the NH Secretary of State and Republican primary candidates. I would *love* to see Rick Perry show up and try to pander to a Burlington crowd. Sadly, as I mentioned, this is unlikely to pass because it would cost the state additional money unnecessarily. Vermont's primary has always occurred on Town Meeting Day when the state already sets up balloting and polling stations, so moving it away from that date (first Tuesday in March) makes little sense.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Would Republicans even care about Vermont, though? Obama won that state by, like, 30 points both times.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

DaveWoo posted:

Would Republicans even care about Vermont, though? Obama won that state by, like, 30 points both times.

First primary win out of the gate gives a lot of momentum to whoever gets it.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
It would be pretty gimmicky. There are a couple of things to consider. First, NH awards more delegates because it's more populous and more Republican (23 vs. 16), however NH awards them proportionally, which is how Jon Huntsman had got two delegates to the 2012 RNC, while Vermont gives all of its delegates to any candidate who gets more than 50% of the vote, or proportionally with a 20% viability threshold (opposed to NH's 10% threshold) if no candidate wins a majority.

Tactically, this offers an interesting opportunity. What if, say, Rand Paul campaigns a bunch in VT? His Libtertarian message (or whatever version of it is in his head on any particular day) might appeal to Vermont votersand he'd get crossover coverage in NH. If he wins VT he gets all 16 of its delegates, plus whatever portion of the vote he captures in NH. That should make it worth his time, since he'd probably only get an extra one or two delegates focusing entirely on NH.

The one huge wrinkle in this is the RNC penalty for violating the timing rules of the contest. By breaking the RNC's rules and moving the primary to match NH's, Vermont would be limited to six delegates. Would that still perhaps entice a Republican over the Connecticut River?

Oh, and obviously Hillary's entire campaign will be torn asunder when Bernie wins the early Vermont primary and rides the Berniementum all the way to the White House.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Joementum posted:

Oh, and obviously Hillary's entire campaign will be torn asunder when Bernie wins the early Vermont primary and rides the Berniementum all the way to the White House.

:unsmith:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

I would *love* to see Rick Perry show up and try to pander to a Burlington crowd.

Let's try it.

"Vermont! Vermont! Vermont!"

Not as catchy somehow.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Unfortunately for O'Malley, he's about as charismatic as Scott Walker. Neither will win.

Also I'm surprised that it took until today for a major news outlet (Washington Post) to bring up the fact that Walker's a college dropout with only a High School Diploma. Pretty sure Harry Truman was the only President in the last 110 years to be President and not be a college graduate, and he came in because FDR died. Hell, every President since Reagan has been an Ivy Leaguer. I think that will ultimately be a deal breaker.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Unfortunately for O'Malley, he's about as charismatic as Scott Walker. Neither will win.

Also I'm surprised that it took until today for a major news outlet (Washington Post) to bring up the fact that Walker's a college dropout with only a High School Diploma. Pretty sure Harry Truman was the only President in the last 110 years to be President and not be a college graduate, and he came in because FDR died. Hell, every President since Reagan has been an Ivy Leaguer. I think that will ultimately be a deal breaker.

I think this was mentioned in the thread before, but hasn't Walker either been on wingnut welfare or a public servant ever since dropping out of university?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Last 126 years, actually. Grover Cleveland was the last not-Harry-Truman President to not have a college degree

Walker came within a semester of getting one from Marquette and the question of why he didn't finish has never really been answered, but it's not as though he couldn't have.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
It doesn't matter if he could have gotten it, "he's a quitter", "how can he talk about education when he's a dropout", "why did he drop out anyway?", etc.

For the record, Hillary went to Yale Law.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Joementum posted:

Last 126 years, actually. Grover Cleveland was the last not-Harry-Truman President to not have a college degree

Walker came within a semester of getting one from Marquette and the question of why he didn't finish has never really been answered, but it's not as though he couldn't have.

Presumably he was still 34 credits short of graduating by the spring of his senior year. He just said gently caress it, I'm outta here. He was not a good student.

Maybe he should have tried the University of Idaho instead of Marquette.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Joementum posted:

34 Credits short sounds like more than just a semester away. I think his peers were a semester away and he'd fallen way behind.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
The fact that Walker doesn't have a trade either (which would be respectable to most people) is a huge problem for him due to the whole American dream, send your kid to collage thing.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
Paul Ryan just lucked out that he could slap his name on a do-nothing job for his family's business. He's been working in congress since college.

Of course, he didn't drop out to do so. It looks more and more like Walker, who cared more about politics than his education, left bc he lost the SBP election and wanted to run for something else (his first election was at 22).

He's never not been running.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The DNC has picked Philly, so the convention details are now locked:

July 18, 2016: RNC begins in Cleveland
July 25, 2016: DNC begins in Philadelphia

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Rand Paul, Huckabee, Boy Scouts and Jerry Sandusky. All are in this gay panic documentary

http://youtu.be/oPQzabna5kg

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Rand Paul, Huckabee, Boy Scouts and Jerry Sandusky. All are in this gay panic documentary

http://youtu.be/oPQzabna5kg

Urge to kill...rising...

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Carrasco posted:

Is there a word that's the opposite of chutzpah, where something is so spineless it wraps around to audacity? Because that's what we're looking at.

He's a fuckin' nebbish.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Just noticed that the article's been updated with a later statement from Walker:

quote:

In a statement later Wednesday obtained by Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Walker said "Both science and my faith dictate my belief that we are created by God" and that "I believe faith and science are compatible, and go hand in hand."

NO THEY DON'T, SCOTT

THAT IS LITERALLY THE ENTIRE ISSUE HERE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DaveWoo posted:

NO THEY DON'T, SCOTT

THAT IS LITERALLY THE ENTIRE ISSUE HERE

I really hate to stick up for the guy, but... yes, yes they are compatible. From a more reasonable Christian perspective, science is figuring out the rules and details of how God created the universe to run, and that includes evolution. Nothing about evolution says God didn't make it possible and plan where it would go.

• Locked thread