Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
I tried to go to Club Nintendo and it is down for maintenance again. I love Nintendo, but they really need some help with
1) Websites that can handle half the country visiting them at once.
2) Learn how to deal with distribution of goods that are limited edition in nature (such as Amiibos)

Why doesn't Nintendo let you buy physical goods from nintendo dot com? They could just sell directly to us the consumer? I think this would be a smart move. Instead of making something and fearing it might not sell, just make as many as there are orders for. If the item sells out and people still want it, make more!

Nintendo makes great product, but sometimes I don't think they understand how much more money they could make. They have so many people who following them loyally, but don't have the ability to visit the Nintendo World Store in New York City.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Spectacle Rock posted:

I tried to go to Club Nintendo and it is down for maintenance again. I love Nintendo, but they really need some help with
2) Learn how to deal with distribution of goods that are limited edition in nature (such as Amiibos)

Why doesn't Nintendo let you buy physical goods from nintendo dot com? They could just sell directly to us the consumer? I think this would be a smart move. Instead of making something and fearing it might not sell, just make as many as there are orders for. If the item sells out and people still want it, make more!

Nintendo makes great product, but sometimes I don't think they understand how much more money they could make. They have so many people who following them loyally, but don't have the ability to visit the Nintendo World Store in New York City.

I am able to log on right now. I bought a reward with coins earlier. Delete your cookies and try again.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Spectacle Rock posted:

Well, they're shutting down Club Nintendo and replacing it with something else, so they're probably in the process of doing something like what you want.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Spectacle Rock posted:

You're right, it's bad business for Nintendo products to fly off store shelves. They should instead sell far fewer of those items directly from their website. Why don't all companies do this?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Tender Bender posted:

You're right, it's bad business for Nintendo products to fly off store shelves. They should instead sell far fewer of those items directly from their website. Why don't all companies do this?

Selling on Nintendo.com is not mutually exclusive from selling at retail.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The third Metroid Hatcher fight in Prime 3 is hilarious. :allears:

Also the Omega Ridley boss fight was so cool. Definitely among my favorites in the series.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Spectacle Rock posted:

This could be a smart move. Theres no reason for stuff like Walmart and Target to be around if companies like Nintendo and Bounty can do it from their own factories

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Tender Bender posted:

I don't think wanting Nintendo to sell their poo poo directly on their website is a crazy thing to want.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Yeah I misread his post, from the "they should only make as many as there are orders for" I thought he meant Nintendo should sell everything directly instead of using retailers.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
And doesn't Nintendo already do exactly that in Japan?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

jivjov posted:

And doesn't Nintendo already do exactly that in Japan?

I dunno about Japan but they definitely sell stuff on their UK website (and they actually have some cool New 3DS bundles) so maybe they'll start doing the same in the US at some point

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Regy Rusty posted:

The third Metroid Hatcher fight in Prime 3 is hilarious. :allears:

Also the Omega Ridley boss fight was so cool. Definitely among my favorites in the series.

Ahh, the Nova Beam/X-Ray Visor combo :allears:

Fremry posted:

Until you get to the endgame and metroid prime's first phase, where the upgrades to each beam do way more damage and aren't deflected.

The only one worth blowing on Metroid Prime is the Wavebuster to stunlock his rear end, the rest aren't worth the missiles because that little poo poo can and will swap colours at the worst time possible to deflect them if you try. :argh:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

And that's the end. Incredible final bosses and final level. And with that I've finally played through all of the Metroid Prime Trilogy.

What an experience. Everything I'd heard about these games over the years turned out to be totally true. I don't think I can even pick a favorite of the three.

I want more. :(

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
Sorry for the confusion. Of course Nintendo should keep selling in stores like they are. Don't break what is working. They should even sell their limited edition stuff in stores too.

BUT, I'm just saying why can't they ALSO have a nice website where I can add some games (or Amiibos) to a cart and have it mailed directly to my house? At least do this for stuff in small supply.

In short, I just want Nintendo to give me more ways to give them my money. A lot of the limited edition stuff in Japan only comes to America in small doses, sometimes only at the Nintendo World Store in New York and then in stupid small amounts (like 500) and then 80% of them just go on ebay.

See: Hyrule Warrior's Bundle with Scarf.
See: Mario Kart 8 with Blue Shell.

I'm glad they are making limited edition stuff, but they should make it where if someone wants to shell on the money they can get it (but not from scalpers on ebay!)

I barely got a "New Nintendo 3DS XL Majora's Mask ordered," it almost didn't happen. I didn't realize how much I wanted one until I realized I almost didn't and wouldn't without paying at least $400 for it from butthole scalpers. I just think they should make enough for everyone who legitimately wants it. This could be solved by having preorders months in advance for a product and THEN making enough to fill said orders. Problem solved. Nintendo makes $$, doesn't have a bunch of stuff that won't sell, and people get the gear they want.

edit: Dang, they've raised the prices (coin cost) for items on the Club Nintendo Rewards page. I'm sure Majora's Mask and Mario Kart were both 200 coins the other day and now they are 250 coins. Lame!

Spectacle Rock fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 12, 2015

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

And that's the end. Incredible final bosses and final level. And with that I've finally played through all of the Metroid Prime Trilogy.

What an experience. Everything I'd heard about these games over the years turned out to be totally true. I don't think I can even pick a favorite of the three.

I want more. :(
Yea. Prime was my first Metroid game and it really hooked me on the series, love them all. I'd like to see them in 1080p widescreen though, that would be superb.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
whats the best way to buy one of these things

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

John Romero posted:

whats the best way to buy one of these things

They're out of stock right now, but a refurbished Wii U is always your best bet. It makes it cheaper than a 3DS and gets you a game on top of it.

Don't worry about "refurbished", Nintendo's refurbished standards are basically good-as-new.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Spectacle Rock posted:

What's the point though? The service is shutting down soon.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

actually when the 3d world bundle goes on sale for ~250 they're slightly better assuming you want 3d world (and who doesnt)

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Awesome! posted:

actually when the 3d world bundle goes on sale for ~250 they're slightly better assuming you want 3d world (and who doesnt)

This is also a really great choice. The Wii U is not a very expensive console and there are ways to get it relatively cheap!

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

Awesome! posted:

yo when will it do that

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

watch the videogame deals thread in coupons & deals, someone will usually post when there's a sale.

i'll try to remember to mention it here next time i see one

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Just a heads up though, Nintendo has not had Wii U refurbs in stock for at least 3+ months now. It's not known whether or not Nintendo will ever have refurb stock again even.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

what is "amiibo." are you all buying toys. no diss just wondering

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

I said come in! posted:

Just a heads up though, Nintendo has not had Wii U refurbs in stock for at least 3+ months now. It's not known whether or not Nintendo will ever have refurb stock again even.
It's almost like the Wii U became a desirable system.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

John Romero posted:

You know those Skylanders toys that you can "scan in" to games? Nintendo made their own version of that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

John Romero posted:

They're small statues of Nintendo characters with an RFID chip in the base. Basically your typical Skylanders toy, and they'll add little extra thngs like costumes to some games (it's not a universal thing, but like using Shulk with Xenoblade 3DS will unlock some stuff in the Beastiary model viewer faster). Smash Bros is a little more in-depth with them, as they act as trainable AI fighters of their respective character.

Unfortunately Nintendo severely underestimated their popularity, so good luck getting any of them right now.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Chaltab posted:

It's almost like the Wii U became a desirable system.

Mario Kart 8 came out and then all of a sudden every single jackass on the internet who dissed on the Wii U wanted to buy one (i'm that jackass).

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

John Romero posted:

Half the thread is buying them, half are not. I'm definitely not buying them. I don't want extra poo poo around my house, and especially poo poo that makes people question what I'm doing with my life. The only way I'd pick one up is if they did something insane that adds a lot of content/depth to a game.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i own 3 amiibos, huey dewey and louie. they are very rare and expensive.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

I said come in! posted:

Mario Kart 8 came out and then all of a sudden every single jackass on the internet who dissed on the Wii U wanted to buy one (i'm that jackass).

I wonder when this trend of people thinking no one wants to play Mario Kart, Mario Party, and Smash is going to end. I have never met anyone who plays games that doesn't want to play Mario Kart, it's probably the most universally enjoyed franchise that I've played.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Amiibos are poo poo quality too. Don't buy any online because you don't know what you're getting.

RyokoTK posted:

I wonder when this trend of people thinking no one wants to play Mario Kart, Mario Party, and Smash is going to end. I have never met anyone who plays games that doesn't want to play Mario Kart, it's probably the most universally enjoyed franchise that I've played.

I actually got soured on Mario Kart when I played it on the DS because of all of the rampant cheating. :/ This is when the DS was easily hacked and fully open to all sorts of homebrew software and cheats in online. It completely ruined Mario Kart and Metroid Prime Hunters multiplayer.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I dunno about "poo poo" quality. I have three (the Smash models for Link, Samus, and Mario) and all three of them are fine. Link feels a little flimsier, especially with the sword, but Mario and Samus are both pretty solid and dense and I don't see any imperfections on them.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, amiibo really aren't that bad quality wise. Some have floppy swords or whatever, so if you're buying one with a lot of spindly bits, its probably better to buy one you can inspect first, but overall they're really good for the price point.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

actually amiibos are dope and if you don't buy them online months in advance possibly from germany you won't get one so

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
i just preorder them on amazon and they show up at my house.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

jivjov posted:

Yeah, amiibo really aren't that bad quality wise. Some have floppy swords or whatever, so if you're buying one with a lot of spindly bits, its probably better to buy one you can inspect first, but overall they're really good for the price point.

It's mostly the paint jobs that can turn out look pretty bad.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Just wanted to throw in my experience, we got one for the family for Christmas and stupid me we forgot to make sure it actually worked for Christmas. Apparently we got one of the Wii U's that was bricked from the Sm4sh issue, so we told Nintendo and they basically next day air'ed it to them and next day'd one back to us. You get a year warranty with these things too and even though we hit a bump in the road we've had some good fun since. Turn around time was maybe a week.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

I said come in! posted:

It's mostly the paint jobs that can turn out look pretty bad.

I think a part of that is just (possibly deliberate) bad lighting in the picture on the right. I guess I can see situations where the eyes aren't quite aligned right, sure, but like, I'm looking at Link and he has a nose and lips modeled even though they're not painted. In reality it looks fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Nah of all the amiibos marth looks like complete poo poo.

Which is hilarious

• Locked thread