Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Please be Aware that you can change your colors after picking a custom moveset, you just hit X and Y after you pick the custom, which just defaults to the chosen color but is totally changeable. It's basically perfect for standardized tournament loadouts with numbers for names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cake Attack posted:

it's actually probably because of licensing issues with the third party music tracks

Does Skyloft have any third party music?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

oh i didn't know which stages were banned

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Isn't one of the 50 fact video poo poo literally has one of the features being you can set any music to whatever stage?

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
And why won't they let me play 8 player smash on these other stages... :ssj:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Tae posted:

Isn't one of the 50 fact video poo poo literally has one of the features being you can set any music to whatever stage?

No?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0BBGzfw0pQ&t=659s

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
The whole licensed music for Smash thing sounds so legally hosed that it's not even that surprising it has a side effect of banning stages, not that it's something I would have ever expected but considering some of the dumb weird poo poo that has happened with youtube, twitch, nintendo, and such before...yeah not shocked.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I think JivJov misunderstood and thought you were saying you could set any music from any stage to any other stage. Like have "You Will Know Our Names" playing on Final Destination or something. My Music does seem like a fix, but I guess they can't take the risk of someone forgetting and unlicensed music being played at a tournament.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Nothing there says you can use any song on any stage.

Just like Brawl, each stage has a selection of songs you can choose from/set the probability on.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

What the best of Shulk video out there? I need inspiration.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I got my Shulk amiibo, who wants to buy it for $100

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

If My Music in Wii U is anything like Brawl then tracks could still play sometimes even if they are turned all the way down to rarely.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I don't think that's true? I'm pretty sure if you turn all the tracks all the way down, then no music plays on that stage.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Junkie Disease posted:

What the best of Shulk video out there? I need inspiration.

1. Go deep for Jump spikes

2. Hit them off the stage literally as fast as you can, then try to gimp with Smash spikes

3. Really Feel It a lot

4. Use dtilt a lot, it's really good

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Sire Oblivion posted:

Does Skyloft have any third party music?
One of its tracks is a rock remix of Ballad of the Goddess which may have been done by Tecmo for Hyrule Warriors, maybe?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

today i discovered that Bowser has a True Combo with his slide slash custom side b, because Sakurai, Blessed be His Soul, gave bowser the gift of lagless side b upon landing.

it's short hop dash slash->up tilt. A real combo for bowser.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Chaltab posted:

One of its tracks is a rock remix of Ballad of the Goddess which may have been done by Tecmo for Hyrule Warriors, maybe?

It's not actually in Hyrule Warriors, though, if that's even true. It's still dumb as heck!

I have nothing but respect for a good Captain Falcon, even since Melee.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Bowsercides when you're a stock up and at low %'s are hilarious. I ended a 3-stock match in about a minute because once I got the first kill I just bowsercided the other two stocks really early. Made my friend real mad, it was a good time.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

RyokoTK posted:

I have nothing but respect for a good Captain Falcon, even since Melee.

hes a trash character with lovely mechanics

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

bef posted:

Why? Serious question. He doesn't seem that different from any other character.

Zeuhl
Dec 15, 2009

hand is free
As Shulk, you can do a fsmash into ness as he's coming at you with his pk thundered body, the moves cancel each other out, but if you're quick and they don't expect it, you could just side smash again right after, or whatever you wish

die ness

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

bef posted:

:wth:

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

I finally got an amiibo! I can't wait to train this lil' guy up!

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Be gentle, he looks very shy!!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

bef posted:

Yeah, gently caress mechanics like punching and kicking people. What is this, a fighting game?!

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Captain Falcon's moveset came from the Dragon King prototype that turned into Smash Bros, so in a sense Captain Falcon is actually the purest representation of Smash Bros and an embodiment of its mechanics.

e: also he's rad as gently caress

TechnoSyndrome fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 12, 2015

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Captain Falcon's moveset came from the Dragon King prototype that turned into Smash Bros, so in a sense Captain Falcon is actually the purest representation of Smash Bros and an embodiment of its mechanics.

It shows, too! It kinda seems like they took the prototype and scrambled to find a character that fit the mold. I mean, look at it:

I bet the Captain wouldn't even be in the game if he wasn't the only generic, ripped, first party human male that they could find. Really glad they put him in the game though, he's my goto when I need to kick some rear end :allears:

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Captain Falcon is strong and is my friend.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

bef posted:

:yikes:

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
Alright, so, question. If Shulk is throwing out counters constantly, is there any way to punish him? Like, I've tried waiting until the end of the counter animation; he seems to be able to counter all the way through it? I sometimes trigger his counter with moves that didn't even hit him, and he still tears through my rear end, so I can't really bait it? I've been doing a lot of yelling about it, sorry about all the question marks? I then end up spending the whole fight trying to anticipate/avoid counters, and eat his huge gently caress off beam sword smash instead. I'm really enjoying that his upward beam sword thing can cleanly get me from pretty much any angle if I'm near him or already starting to hit him.

And by enjoying, I don't mean enjoying

Like, my roommate's Shulk only does those three moves and I, clearly having some sort of mental disorder, can't figure out how in the gently caress I'm supposed to deal with it. I play mostly melee-based characters like Ganon and Jigglypuff.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Grab him. He literally sits still while staring at the hilt of the sword, all you have to do is grab him.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
His counter also kind of sucks. It's weird and slow and misses my character half the time. Sonic vs Shulk is a funny match up cause of this

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Macaluso posted:

His counter also kind of sucks. It's weird and slow and misses my character half the time. Sonic vs Shulk is a funny match up cause of this

Yeah, I play slow/floaty/big folks and it definitely hits me 110% of the time

I have a lot of trouble getting the grab off, since by the time I've 1.) spotted that the counter is happening and 2.) inched in close enough for Ganon's dinky T-rex arms to get a squeeze on, Shulk is already done and shoving a sword in my face. Or, for real Mario Party levels of angry friend, he proceeds to grab me when I try to grab him and Smash 4 goes ahead and gives it to him

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Yeah, I play slow/floaty/big folks and it definitely hits me 110% of the time

I have a lot of trouble getting the grab off, since by the time I've 1.) spotted that the counter is happening and 2.) inched in close enough for Ganon's dinky T-rex arms to get a squeeze on, Shulk is already done and shoving a sword in my face. Or, for real Mario Party levels of angry friend, he proceeds to grab me when I try to grab him and Smash 4 goes ahead and gives it to him

If you like big slow characters try dedede, he's surprisingly nimble and his grab owns. I think he's a good pick against Shulk personally. His forward smash is great for breaking counters.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
also just grab a ton because grabs are really good in this game

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
If you just try to grab him a lot as a general rule (i.e. not specifically to punish his counter), it should condition him to counter less in general.

e: Since you're using Ganon, you can also use his forward-B, I think that counts as a grab and can't be countered.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Alright, so, question. If Shulk is throwing out counters constantly, is there any way to punish him? Like, I've tried waiting until the end of the counter animation; he seems to be able to counter all the way through it? I sometimes trigger his counter with moves that didn't even hit him, and he still tears through my rear end, so I can't really bait it? I've been doing a lot of yelling about it, sorry about all the question marks? I then end up spending the whole fight trying to anticipate/avoid counters, and eat his huge gently caress off beam sword smash instead. I'm really enjoying that his upward beam sword thing can cleanly get me from pretty much any angle if I'm near him or already starting to hit him.

And by enjoying, I don't mean enjoying

Like, my roommate's Shulk only does those three moves and I, clearly having some sort of mental disorder, can't figure out how in the gently caress I'm supposed to deal with it. I play mostly melee-based characters like Ganon and Jigglypuff.

Aside from the grabbing, Shulk's counter is really horizontal and has startup time - you can hit his upper hitbox on an aerial and not get hit by the counter if you're still rising (or jump) after the aerial with jiggly.

Bruegels Fuckbooks fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Feb 13, 2015

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Also, Ganondorf's forward-B will grab him through his counter, and it solves your "slow approach and grab problem." He's clearly using his counter in ways that are predictable. Punish him for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
So, as a Shulk main, how to I successfully defeat a Captain Falcon that's got his perfect pivot down and has an incredible rush-down game?

• Locked thread