Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

I'm not getting it.

You think you know her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

I'm not getting it.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Not everybody gets wrestling references, guys.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

jscolon2.0 posted:

INDEED. But if you didn't know, your rear end could just call somebody.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Jamesman posted:

INDEED. But if you didn't know, your rear end could just call somebody.

But what if I'm not down with that?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Maxwell Lord posted:

So she becomes Edge?

She'll need a way more awesome theme song for that

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Codependent Poster posted:

But what if I'm not down with that?

Then you need to SMELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL...Ok, I legitimately have no follow up to that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm really sad that this show will be ending soon, it's really starting to get good and I'd really like it to continue.

Edit: Also, they finally got Spider-Man back into the wider Marvel Universe? Awesome.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

So does anyone think this Cap's Blood thing is going to become a plot in AOS?

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

notthegoatseguy posted:

So does anyone think this Cap's Blood thing is going to become a plot in AOS?

Cap's blood has already been synthesized in the modern MCU I mean... That's partially how we got the Abomination in Incredible Hulk, right? But yeah, it might come back.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
Wouldn't the modern MCU already have access to Cap's blood? What with Cap being around and all?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

sunday at work posted:

Wouldn't the modern MCU already have access to Cap's blood? What with Cap being around and all?

Well, in the comics its been mentioned that when Cap has a physical they make sure to destroy all samples right away after they're done to keep anyone from stealing his blood.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

Jamesman posted:

You just know someone is gonna make a gif of that kiss.

Why has this not happened yet?

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
God this show is fun

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

:eng101: Pro-tip when you're on a thin ledge like that, keep your front against the wall instead of your back. Much better balance and maneuverability.

Not with Peggy's "assets" you don't :smug:

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Cap's blood has already been synthesized in the modern MCU I mean... That's partially how we got the Abomination in Incredible Hulk, right? But yeah, it might come back.

In that Hulk film when the dude was just a super soldier attacking the campus people were like 'yo that's how cap's gonna be' and they were right, the Blonsky choreography is very similar to how Cap behaves in every film he's been in.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Miss the days when some diligent goon would post gifs as the episode was airing :sigh:

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Cap's blood is responsible for at least a dozen heroes/villains in the comics, so there is little doubt in my mind that Hydra is probably going end up with it by the end of this.

Also with spidey back and Cap's blood floating around they could always do Black Cat.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

jscolon2.0 posted:

I don't think I've ever watched an entire wrestling match in my life, but those wrestling gifs that pop up on SA never cease to be hilarious anyway.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Barry Convex posted:

It has HYDRA, Mockingbird, Quake, Mister Hyde, Absorbing Man, Inhumans... how exactly does that translate into "just some show with Marvel slapped on it?"

Again, we all saw the first half of S1. I know exactly what that would actually look like, and SHIELD thankfully isn't that anymore.

Well yes the show is less of that now, but if it chose to go down a path where it simply has no effect on what is happening in the rest of the MCU, despite kind of taking place near the center of it, I would say that all of that Marvel stuff, while fun, is just being slapped on, because at the end of the day, none of it would matter, and if you never watched the show, you wouldn't miss out on anything. I wouldn't want that to happen.

Basically, I would prefer the show be as integral to the MCU as any movie. Every movie has had something to do with the MCU at large, even when the story specifically didn't (Dark World showed us another Infinity stone, and changed the status quo of Asgard, Guardians introduced intergalactic Marvel factions, and more Infinity stone lore, etc.) I'm glad AoS is introducing Inhumans as a concept, and hope it really runs with it, I just don't want the show to backslide into irrelevance.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
What does any of this matter as long as the show is entertaining and telling a good story?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

mikeraskol posted:

What does any of this matter as long as the show is entertaining and telling a good story?

Easy answer: it doesn't.

Marvel has published plenty of great comics that were set firmly in the shared 616 universe, but didn't "matter" a goddamn bit to their crossover events or to Avengers or X-Men or whatever their flagship title is/was at the time. Same basic principle here.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

mikeraskol posted:

This entire thread doesn't matter in that context. Why read it then?

Barry Convex posted:

Easy answer: it doesn't.

Marvel has published plenty of great comics that were set firmly in the shared 616 universe, but didn't "matter" a goddamn bit to their crossover events or to Avengers or X-Men or whatever their flagship title is/was at the time. Same basic principle here.

Alternate answer: Comics are significantly different, and these days some of the best selling story lines in big shared universes like Marvel and DC are ones that matter*. There's probably a reason that Marvel basically produces nothing but big events at this point, compared to say, a decade or two ago. Every big event seems to lead directly into another, there's barely any gaps between them at this point it feels.

*Until retconned.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 12, 2015

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

Alternate answer: Comics are significantly different, and these days some of the best selling story lines in big shared universes like Marvel and DC are ones that matter*. There's probably a reason that Marvel basically produces nothing but big events at this point, compared to say, a decade or two ago. Every big event seems to lead directly into another, there's barely any gaps between them at this point it feels.

Two words that have proven time and time again to have, at best, a very tenuous relationship to quality.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Barry Convex posted:

Two words that have proven time and time again to have, at best, a very tenuous relationship to quality.

Except when something is horribly selling it stops getting made because Marvel comics isn't a charity. They make big cross over events because people buy them. People don't tend to buy things they hate. Therefore, people must like them. If people didn't like them, they wouldn't buy them, just like they don't buy plenty of other comic books that sell poorly.

That low grade argument doesn't really hold water 90% of the time its used.

VBane
Oct 31, 2011

jscolon2.0 posted:

She said "You think you know me?"

The wrestler Edge, at one point, had an entrance where his music was prefaced by an echoey female voice repeating "You think you know me." twice.

He was also early 90s a part stable of what were obviously-supposed-to-be-but-never-actually-called vampires called The Brood along with Christian and Gangrel.

That about covers all references here. :eng101: :vince:

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.
I can't wait for the inevitable Peggy/Dottie smackdown.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

DukeofCA posted:

I can't wait for the inevitable Peggy/Dottie shipping.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

Except when something is horribly selling it stops getting made because Marvel comics isn't a charity. They make big cross over events because people buy them. People don't tend to buy things they hate. Therefore, people must like them. If people didn't like them, they wouldn't buy them, just like they don't buy plenty of other comic books that sell poorly.

That low grade argument doesn't really hold water 90% of the time its used.

Are there people who genuinely like crap like Ultimatum and mediocrity like Axis? Sure. Do the sales of those books make them objectively better than, say, Hawkeye? No. You might as well say that Transformers 4 is obviously a better film than Under the Skin.

(I also think that it's not just the readers - DC and Marvel have done a lot over the years to cultivate a mentality that only books that "matter" to the broader shared universe are worth buying - but that's a topic for another thread.)

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Barry Convex posted:

No. You might as well say that Transformers 4 is obviously a better film than Under the Skin.

This is why and how that argument is misused.

Under the Skin had neither the marketing budget, the distribution, nor the attachment to a popular franchise that Transformers did, so of course comparing those two things is idiotic. Similarly, it is unfair to compare a book like Hawkeye, to a big hyped event that undoubtedly has had more money put into marketing for it than Hawkeye has.

The smart thing would be comparing the over all success of a single book, both within cross-over or big events, and outside of them. That's really the only way you can dismantle the argument. And seeing as the number of big events and crossovers seems to have risen lately (culminating in Marvel literally making the ultimate crossover event, where the previous big events will cross over with each other through dimensional foolishness, completely eradicating all of their normal storytelling universes in the process), I am going to go ahead and assume it is because people are buying them as opposed to self contained, smaller scaled stories.

And obviously, sales isn't the end all be all measurement of anything, but to deny that it matters at all in a form of media that lives or dies on people spending their money to obtain it is kind of dumb.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

VBane posted:

She said "You think you know me?"

The wrestler Edge, at one point, had an entrance where his music was prefaced by an echoey female voice repeating "You think you know me." twice.

He was also early 90s a part stable of what were obviously-supposed-to-be-but-never-actually-called vampires called The Brood along with Christian and Gangrel.

That about covers all references here. :eng101: :vince:

Thanks.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
So Peggy was initially found out by two small moles on her shoulder but Leviathan marks every single one of their female assassins with easily spotted scarring around their wrists?

Well that's their entire operation compromised, then.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gorilla Salad posted:

So Peggy was initially found out by two small moles on her shoulder but Leviathan marks every single one of their female assassins with easily spotted scarring around their wrists?

They aren't moles, they're scars from bullet wounds.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
In what world is a kiss a good way of administering drugs, anyway.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Mymla posted:

And wouldn't it drug the person applying it to themselves?

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Gorilla Salad posted:

Considering the propensity for women of the time to wear long sleeves, that scar on her wrist is probably not that easy to spot. Sousa only noticed the bullet wounds because of the locker room scene. I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.

Mymla posted:

Comic books and spy novels/movies, of course.

What I thought was great about that scene is that Peggy is caught by the same thing she's relied on the whole series, underestimating/not noticing a woman. It dovetails nicely with the overall theme and makes Peggy a little less perfect, which is a good quality for a protagonist.

Davros1 posted:

And wouldn't it drug the person applying it to themselves?

I guess you apply a layer of some kind of blocking lip gloss underneath the drugged lipstick? Or maybe just regular lipstick, since that could effectively form a barrier. It really wouldn't be too hard, you'd just have to be careful.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

AbsolutelySane posted:

Considering the propensity for women of the time to wear long sleeves, that scar on her wrist is probably not that easy to spot. Sousa only noticed the bullet wounds because of the locker room scene. I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.

The whole point of the Leviathan assassins is to be invisible. They've been trained to blend in to US culture for decades and, as the show stated, simply being women aids them in being invisible in this time period.

Yet when your invisible super assassins are all marked in exactly the same way you might as well tattoo "I'm a Soviet assassin" on their wrists along with a big hammer and sickle.

Sure, it's not going to help you if one walks into your dental practice, but you could put out a warning notice to all government agents and personnel working in sensitive areas to be on their guard.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
How do you know that they all have that scar on their wrist? Maybe some struggled and have it, maybe some didn't and don't?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

imperialparadox posted:

How do you know that they all have that scar on their wrist? Maybe some struggled and have it, maybe some didn't and don't?

Because from what we have seen, there is no evidence that any of them did not continue to sleep without the shackles/handcuffs. There is no indication that the scars are struggle scars as opposed to scars from sleeping every night with a metal shackle on their wrist. Every single one of the girls was shown to be shackled, including the ones still being trained when they arrived, since the beds had shackles on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Peggy comes right out and says that she expects them to all have the scars because 'some habits are hard to break' and given the nature of TV and how she's the star, you can be pretty much rest assured that she's always correct about these things.

• Locked thread