Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i've made a breakthrough in the case
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bgRoz3rJCw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hm... im gonna have to examine that thumbnail a little more in depth, detective. :greencube:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bongo Bill posted:

People have told me to watch Patlabor in the context of procedurals, but I have yet to find time.

Patlabor's Section-2 is more of a SWAT-like response squad than procedural investigators.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
No matter what you call it, Patlabor owns.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

here ya go

http://www.amazon.com/Gakuen-Polizi-Vol-Milk-Morinaga/dp/1626920303/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1423621857&sr=1-2&keywords=gakuen+polizi

:v:

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

ManOfTheYear posted:

Is "cop show" anime a thing? What I really want from this world The Wire-esque anime

Mad Bull 34. there is an ova series and also someone is kind of translating the manga

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sure, if you want to support moefication of the police. :rolleyes:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Ringo Roadagain posted:

Mad Bull 34. there is an ova series and also someone is kind of translating the manga

Actually yeah mad bull is pretty much it. Manga owns, OVA is hosed up in a very 80s way

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

DamnGlitch posted:

Actually yeah mad bull is pretty much it. Manga owns, OVA is hosed up in a very 80s way

Are the main characters any less hilariously awful in the Manga?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Mad Bull is the most realistic police anime there is, depicting everyday cop challenges like kungfu assassin gangs and cyborg mobsters.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Just check the Seinen thread, theres lots of decent mystery/police/detective stuff there. I guess if you need Anime there is Monster? Not really a procedural in the technical sense but it's one of the best serious drama Anime ever and it's about murder and serial killer stuff.

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 11, 2015

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

If you do watch Mad Bull 34, make sure to watch it dubbed so you can listen to British people doing their best New York accents, and also the awesome soundtrack.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

ManOfTheYear posted:

It has been a long as time when I watched SAC but i remember it being mind-numbingly boring. The first GitS movie is great, though.

I will fight you. :colbert:

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Just check the Seinen thread, theres lots of decent mystery/police/detective stuff there. I guess if you need Anime there is Monster? Not really a procedural in the technical sense but it's one of the best serious drama Anime ever and it's about murder and serial killer stuff.

I'll second this. Not a cop drama, but for a down-to-earth(ish) suspense/mystery drama anime, Monster is the best there is. That, and it's also one of the best animes out there, period.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

ViggyNash posted:

I will fight you. :colbert:

Not gonna lie, when I first watched SAC as a kid I hated it too for basically the same reason. All I wanted was cool dramatic action scenes and most of it is talking and politics. Then I got old and started liking talking and politics, and paired with the fun action it became a fantastic series.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Sure, if you want to support moefication of the police. :rolleyes:

You probably meant this as a joke, but "authority cuteness" is an actual cultural phenomenon that people worry about. Psycho-Pass satirizes it early on when the cops put on big-eyed holographic mascot costumes to pursue a suspect into a shopping mall.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 11, 2015

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Not gonna lie, when I first watched SAC as a kid I hated it too for basically the same reason. All I wanted was cool dramatic action scenes and most of it is talking and politics. Then I got old and started liking talking and politics, and paired with the fun action it became a fantastic series.

I thought sac was lame for years until I sat down and actually watched it instead of catching random parts of episodes on adult swim.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Solid State Society was a good GITS movie.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Poker Face might be one of the best episodes of any anime ever.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
Ok, I've repeatedly been asking for recommendations in all the wrong threads, so I think I'm now finally in the right place.

I only started watching anime about 2 years ago and I'm stuck on where to go from here.

These were the animes I liked:
- Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex
- Planetes
- Attack on Titan
- Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
- Serial Experiments Lain
- Mononoke

I didn't like these:
- Cowboy Bebop
- Darker than Black
- Samurai Flamenco
- Trinity Blood

I like action-oriented sci-fi, fantasy, and thrillers. No cutesy stuff. Prefer a plot-long story than individually contained episodes. Don't care about subs versus dubs. Can anyone give some good recommendations?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Male Tears posted:

I didn't like these:
- Cowboy Bebop
what teh gently caress

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Male Tears posted:

I like action-oriented sci-fi, fantasy, and thrillers. No cutesy stuff. Prefer a plot-long story than individually contained episodes. Don't care about subs versus dubs. Can anyone give some good recommendations?

Legend of the Galactic Heroes fits that pretty much perfectly

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

action-oriented

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Endorph posted:

action-oriented

may i suggest to you Legend of Galactic Fortress: A Song of Fire and Space

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's called Star Wars, Tuxedo Catfish, my friend.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

muike posted:

what teh gently caress
Probably the reason why:

Male Tears posted:

Prefer a plot-long story than individually contained episodes.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Crest/Banner of the Stars

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

muike posted:

It's called Star Wars, Tuxedo Catfish, my friend.

i know, i just didn't want to get in trouble for namedropping an incest show

e: In all seriousness, guy who was asking for shows, you might like Berserk.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Endorph posted:

action-oriented

Confession time: I only watched the first season of LoGH and that's all I'm basing my rec on

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

e: In all seriousness, guy who was asking for shows, you might like Berserk.
Random question: Should you start with the second episode and save the first episode for last?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Coaaab posted:

Random question: Should you start with the second episode and save the first episode for last?

I would go ahead and watch it in broadcast order. The first episode gives you an extremely broad, vague idea of how things will end up, and most of the tension in the Golden Age arc works just as well or better if you're wondering "how did that happen?" rather than "what will happen next?"

The real answer is "read the manga," which isn't something I like hearing either, but it's true in this case.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

GorfZaplen posted:

Confession time: I only watched the first season of LoGH and that's all I'm basing my rec on

Finish it you loving piece of horse garbage

You're less than human until you've got the entirety of LOGH under your belt

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Gintama is a pretty funny show/comic. Why does our forum have a megathread for Naruto and Bleach and One Piece but not Gintama? I mean, at the very least it's definitely better than Naruto and Bleach.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Finish it you loving piece of horse garbage

You're less than human until you've got the entirety of LOGH under your belt

I was actually going to watch it after I finished Chihayafuru, which I'm sure I'll start any day now.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Ytlaya posted:

Gintama is a pretty funny show/comic. Why does our forum have a megathread for Naruto and Bleach and One Piece but not Gintama? I mean, at the very least it's definitely better than Naruto and Bleach.

I remember it existing at one point for the anime at least. I don't recall if it was popular or not, but I was still mostly a lurker at the time and I hadn't gotten into Gintama yet. I think the manga didn't have consistent scanlations yet either, but I could be wrong since I haven't switched to the manga yet.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Male Tears posted:

Ok, I've repeatedly been asking for recommendations in all the wrong threads, so I think I'm now finally in the right place.

I only started watching anime about 2 years ago and I'm stuck on where to go from here.

These were the animes I liked:
- Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex
- Planetes
- Attack on Titan
- Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
- Serial Experiments Lain
- Mononoke

I didn't like these:
- Cowboy Bebop
- Darker than Black
- Samurai Flamenco
- Trinity Blood

It has a bit of cutesy stuff around the peripherals, but Steins;Gate sounds like it might be up your alley. I hear it has a good dub, so either way. LOGH, as folks have said, is great. It's not always the most action-y, but the GitS:SAC in your like list indicates that that shouldn't be a huge issue. It's old, though, and looks it, in case that's an issue. For super action-y mecha, it's hard to go wrong with Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. Gunbuster is great sci-fi that takes the physics of near-light speed travel pretty seriously. Coffin Princess Chaika and Rage of Bahamut are both great fantasy adventure shows that have been recommended in here recently, though it's possible Chaika might set off a sensitive cutesy allergy.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Black lagoon Is great action though it's along the vein of Bebop in that it's smaller arcs rather than one overarching plot the whole time.

Jormungand? Very similar to Black Lagoon but technically I suppose more focused on a single plot thread.

Gunbuster is fantastic mecha but it's a 3 episode build until it really starts paying if you aren't into mecha.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
I have watched Samurai Flamenco, liked all of it, even the middle part that a lot of people hate. What a fun and weird show.

But now I'm a bit frustrated because I realized that I can't think of a single other anime that portrays male homosexuality without terrible tropes and/or pandering. I mean, yeah, it's just the last episode, and it's more of a "those two will eventually be a couple" thing, but still it was nice to see.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

RottenK posted:

I have watched Samurai Flamenco, liked all of it, even the middle part that a lot of people hate. What a fun and weird show.

But now I'm a bit frustrated because I realized that I can't think of a single other anime that portrays male homosexuality without terrible tropes and/or pandering. I mean, yeah, it's just the last episode, and it's more of a "those two will eventually be a couple" thing, but still it was nice to see.

Try Wandering Son. The anime starts and ends in a weird place in the manga, so you might need to flip between the two, but it's all fantastic.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

It has a bit of cutesy stuff around the peripherals, but Steins;Gate sounds like it might be up your alley. I hear it has a good dub, so either way. LOGH, as folks have said, is great. It's not always the most action-y, but the GitS:SAC in your like list indicates that that shouldn't be a huge issue. It's old, though, and looks it, in case that's an issue. For super action-y mecha, it's hard to go wrong with Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. Gunbuster is great sci-fi that takes the physics of near-light speed travel pretty seriously. Coffin Princess Chaika and Rage of Bahamut are both great fantasy adventure shows that have been recommended in here recently, though it's possible Chaika might set off a sensitive cutesy allergy.

Something that really puts me off a lot of anime is poor treatment of female characters. I watched the first episode of Steins;Gate and I wasn't sure if Mayuri was supposed to be a really tall child or developmentally disabled. I'll keep watching, but her character is really grating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Heh

• Locked thread