Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

spud posted:

My dad is a retired Aircraft Engineer, and whilst I'm sure this a rather sweeping (and racist?) statement, he told me that generally the Asian Airlines "Just don't loving maintain them, to save money".

What the hell has happened to people here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

What the hell has happened to people here

His dad didn't post that

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Three-Phase posted:

Process.jpg

Hmm... (not from where I work!)

Hint: Look at where the arrows are pointing...

I'm looking at this thinking there is a reason.

Tell me that they are using the purge pressure to turn that motor and generate electricity for that socket at the end.

Because everything else ends in Donetsk chemical plantesqe glory.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Genocide Tendency posted:

I'm looking at this thinking there is a reason.

Tell me that they are using the purge pressure to turn that motor and generate electricity for that socket at the end.

Because everything else ends in Donetsk chemical plantesqe glory.
You're over thinking it, the reason is companies wonder "how do we label all this bullshit without paying anyone overtime" and the answer usually ends up being "we'll let the trainees do it, they are tracing the lines anyway."

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

zedprime posted:

You're over thinking it, the reason is companies wonder "how do we label all this bullshit without paying anyone overtime" and the answer usually ends up being "we'll let the trainees do it, they are tracing the lines anyway."

Then everything explodes and they get to star in a CG movie as negligent_manager3.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Out for a ride and someone throws a motorcycle at you? I hate that!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

And to think, I get nervous when I'm on a two-foot stepladder sometimes :gonk:

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

there's a 'y' shaped bracket holding it all secure, no?

the ladders at least, hope you can get across ok

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK
Notice how the ladder holding up the pick is on the inside? That's fine, except there is no ladder to climb up to actually get on the pick. That means dude had to climb up the ladder with the pick on it, then when he got to the top he had to reach back and over his head to grab the pick and swing himself up on to it like a rock climber with no ropes, just hanging free 30 feet in the air trying to scrabble up before gravity notices that he is only being held up by the death grip one hand has on the pick.

I have done this and this poo poo is loving horrifying.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
[img]http://i.imgur.com/j6oqgGe.png :nsw:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Improper PPE?
Probably unsanitary conditions, too.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

It's not safe to leave them away from pizza too long :(

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
No eye protection, that's a fine

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Also this is a questionable form of doctor-patient interaction

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

OSHA is supposed to stop these sorts of not safe for work things!

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
The other probations are for the same pic. Indulging your fetishes isn't generally a work-safe idea Tortuga.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

there's a 'y' shaped bracket holding it all secure, no?

the ladders at least, hope you can get across ok

Yeah, isn't that kinda standard roofer stuff? Like, usually the top piece would be flat and on two ladders, but same basic concept.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Thump! posted:

OSHA is supposed to stop these sorts of not safe for work things!

In this context, that image is meta as gently caress so good job Tortuga

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sham I Am posted:

Notice how the ladder holding up the pick is on the inside? That's fine, except there is no ladder to climb up to actually get on the pick. That means dude had to climb up the ladder with the pick on it, then when he got to the top he had to reach back and over his head to grab the pick and swing himself up on to it like a rock climber with no ropes, just hanging free 30 feet in the air trying to scrabble up before gravity notices that he is only being held up by the death grip one hand has on the pick.

I have done this and this poo poo is loving horrifying.

...or he climbed out the window?

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

what bolts?

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

i can't figure it out how things ended up like that

like it's almost all of the parts for an engine stand
and they wouldn't have used them like stilts.... right??

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's not making much sense to me either. The engine stands I've seen typically bolt to the front or back of the engine, they don't support it from underneath. The engine has engine mounts at various points which are used to attach it to the chassis of the car, and that's where it ought to be supported.

I don't even see the parts on the floor for that, there's just some random box steel pieces, a wooden... crossbrace?... and a puddle of whatever is coming out of the engine, presumably, although it should have been drained before removal so who the gently caress knows what it is.

e. For those of you unfamiliar with an engine: the top of the engine is at the bottom right of the photo.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Did it fall off of some chains from which it was hanging?

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

i can't figure it out how things ended up like that

like it's almost all of the parts for an engine stand
and they wouldn't have used them like stilts.... right??
I'm gonna guess they stacked up the box section on the front of that steel dolly so they could set the engine down level

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Captain Cool posted:

I'm gonna guess they stacked up the box section on the front of that steel dolly so they could set the engine down level

A reverse image search brought up a Reddit thread from the mechanic where he says this:

quote:

I took the engine off the stand and propped it up on that makeshift rolling cart (which consisted of the base to an old engine hoist, an industrial electrical panel turned upside down, and 3 2x2 steel tubes to support under the front of the oil pan). I was putting the flywheel, clutch/pressure plate, and transmission on, and the engine stand doesn't allow for that. I was spinning the crank to get it to TDC and dumped it right off the cart. Rolled into the car and dented the rocker. Smashed the valve covers. Almost smashed my leg as well.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

You can see, I think, pretty clearly where the guardrails can easily decouple to give access to the hose. It's not as 'are you loving serious' as it seems at a glance.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Then you probably get a (granted, short) falling hazard when someone puts a non-parallel force on the handrail and it detaches on accident, and you get a fun surprise once a fire starts then you find out that maintenance was sick of reattaching the pole and decided to use some plumber's epoxy. At least you can set up a security camera to capture all of the grandmas faceplanting so you can post it on liveleak for some ad revenue to cover the lawsuits

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I would put zero faith in that section actually being detachable. The seems are just simply because bending small sections was a lot easier than bending the whole rail.

Oh and B, it's loving China, lol if you think anything is done properly there

`Nemesis fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Feb 12, 2015

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
maybe the whole railing comes off

Shions of Qud

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

verbal enema posted:

maybe the whole railing comes off

Getting probated once for your dumb loving sig wasn't enough?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

`Nemesis posted:

Getting probated once for your dumb loving sig wasn't enough?

I put the first one on Adblock and this one goes as well.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
lol if you have sigs turned on just loll

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
NWS/NLS, this is what happens when you try to turn an angle grinder into a table saw

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

:dogbutton:

What special kind of stupid would you have to be to think that's a good idea for anything except a BattleBot

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

:lol: what a gently caress up

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Don't angle grinders have a much higher RPM than saws?

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

I imagine he was trying to use it as a circular saw. I'm guessing he was climb-cutting with the blade facing himself.. I was careless with a tablesaw once and it is amazing how quickly it can throw a piece of wood through a wall. It's like a bullet. There's a hole in my garage that reminds me every day to pay attention. If it had hit me I'd be dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Please sir, no falling in the crocodile pit!

• Locked thread