Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Shageletic posted:

If you want the pure teen drama, then head over to Mary Jane Loves Spiderman. All of the iterations were so good.

I know, right?

It's crazy how compelling that was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I know! Whatever happened to Sean McKeever anyway.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

He released a string of bad books for both DC and Marvel, even when they tried to make him the go to teen superhero guy and doesn't get work anymore.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

He released a string of bad books for both DC and Marvel, even when they tried to make him the go to teen superhero guy and doesn't get work anymore.

Nomad and Young Allies were good! :mad:

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Gaz-L posted:

Nomad and Young Allies were good! :mad:

Look I had high hopes for that series and really liked the Firestar one shot leading into but it squandered any potential it had.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
gently caress, I didn't know All New Ghost Rider was ending after the next issue. I suppose I can't be that suprised, but I was really enjoying the book even with its brief run of terrible art.

:smith:

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

BrianWilly posted:

gently caress, I didn't know All New Ghost Rider was ending after the next issue. I suppose I can't be that suprised, but I was really enjoying the book even with its brief run of terrible art.

:smith:
Yeah it's been bombing in sales unfortunately. Marvel is swearing up and down they have plans for Robbie either during or after Secret Wars, so they don't plan to abandon him completely at least.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Tom Brevoort really loved All New Ghost Rider, so I'm sure we'll see him again.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

I could not get enough of the art from the original arc. That's a pretty rare thing with me and I was pretty bummed when that team left. I hope they figure out something good for Robbie.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
It's a shame but not unexpected Ghost Rider has never been a big mover and while the character work was phenomenal I couldn't string together the hot mess of an overall plot if my life depended on it. I'll believe the "we have plans" PR when I actually see it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I don't know, but I assume 'they had plans' for the Asian lady Ghost Rider when her book was canned too, right?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Gaz-L posted:

I don't know, but I assume 'they had plans' for the Asian lady Ghost Rider when her book was canned too, right?

"Lift one corner of the rug and sweep the character under it" is a plan.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Shageletic posted:

I know! Whatever happened to Sean McKeever anyway.

He's a staff writer at Bioware now.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sorry. It was me. I was the one waiting for Ghost Rider trades. :smith:

Also has Odin always been this much of a butthead

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

Sorry. It was me. I was the one waiting for Ghost Rider trades. :smith:

Also has Odin always been this much of a butthead

I like butthead Odin.

Also I was totally prepared to be annoyed that they're dragging out the mystery of who it is (Ros!), but I quite like the idea of watching Thor go through his list and trying to work it out in his own bullish way.

Also I'm wondering if maybe the list is a red herring and it's somebody not on it? (It probably is Ros though)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

gfanikf posted:

So what's the general take on Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel? Always liked Captain Marvel due to Jennifer Hale voicing her in Avengers EMH and just the character in general. Had a chance to read the Christmas and really enjoyed it even with not knowing too much of what was going on overall in the story (who is the women in the hospital). Art was very lovely too.

Ms. Marvel seems interesting too even if she's one of "those people" resident of New Jersey.

I also figured with a young daughter it's always nice to give her access to nice female role models.

Captain Marvel is... dammit, I want to love that book so much, I feel like DeConnick has a really good grasp of what makes Carol Danvers awesome and she writes her with a distinctive, interesting voice... but the stories just consistently fail to grab my attention.

Ms. Marvel is a delight and everyone should read it. Everyone. Unless they're allergic to memes, apparently.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

It feels like it's gotten to the point where I enjoyed Spider-Woman this week more than I did Captain Marvel. KSD has done fantastic things for the book in terms of social media, but I'm utterly apathetic towards her writing. Even her character beats are falling flat for me now. Maybe it's because I don't really find the supporting cast all that interesting.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

krakagar posted:

I like butthead Odin.

Also I was totally prepared to be annoyed that they're dragging out the mystery of who it is (Ros!), but I quite like the idea of watching Thor go through his list and trying to work it out in his own bullish way.

Also I'm wondering if maybe the list is a red herring and it's somebody not on it? (It probably is Ros though)

Yeah its kind of annoying. I mean there could still be that detective Thor story even if the readers know.

The resolution to the Absorbing Man fight was p great though

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Patrovsky posted:

It feels like it's gotten to the point where I enjoyed Spider-Woman this week more than I did Captain Marvel. KSD has done fantastic things for the book in terms of social media, but I'm utterly apathetic towards her writing. Even her character beats are falling flat for me now. Maybe it's because I don't really find the supporting cast all that interesting.

The space thing hindered this as Jessica Drew, Luke and Jessica Jones would be great to have show up in her series, and the non-factor Rhodey thing has been in two issues, one of which was just a letter from Carol to him. I enjoyed Tracy and Wendy and the others (except that dude who was in the Monica issues and was sad that Carol was with Rhodes in issue one of this volume) so it's a shame it got largely dropped after the conclusion of the Yon-Rogg story, especially since the GotG + Carol stuff has also been underused, in both Captain Marvel and the Guardians series beyond the Annual.

Lila Cheney overshadows Tic completely, and the people from the first arc of this volume haven't been seen since, so we've had a guest appearance from Rocket, which was great, and some minimal GotG interaction. As much as I've enjoyed the short arcs we've had since, I do think that KSD needs to pick a direction and develop it now, hopefully in the aftermath of the Black Vortex CM tie-in. Whether Carol works more closely with the GotG or goes back home, where she can check in with Jess in her new PI role and reconnect with her other Earth friends.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

SynthOrange posted:

The resolution to the Absorbing Man fight was p great though

It was the worst thing it could be for Aaron, predictable. The run has so far been really by the numbers and safe like Aaron is terrified of screwing up the new Thor and has defaulted to the standard new supplants old story structure for safety.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

SirDan3k posted:

It was the worst thing it could be for Aaron, predictable. The run has so far been really by the numbers and safe like Aaron is terrified of screwing up the new Thor and has defaulted to the standard new supplants old story structure for safety.

I am so sorry you hate fun.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

SirDan3k posted:

Is it, like Squirrel Girl, a comic 5th Column secretly trying to destroy Marvel's new direction?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

krakagar posted:

I am so sorry you hate fun.

I'll get around to hating fun when it shows back up and Aaron stop checking off every number on the new character check list or goes back off his meds. I don't read Aaron for bog-standard and since I'm not a redditor or MRA Thor being a woman doesn't fulfill my "that's nuts" quota.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

SirDan3k posted:

I don't really care because Thor has been loving great as a character. When she's having the talk on the moon with the All-Mother and she's just beaming this big grin/smile because being Thor is loving awesome? That was wonderful. :allears: Someone should post it here.

The only real negative to the story is having the loving Serpent around because it's a constant reminder Fear Itself happened.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

krakagar posted:

I like butthead Odin.

I kind of wonder though. She was going to the moon to put the hammer back down there in the last issue, which implies that she leaves it there when she's not using it. My new guess is it's Carol.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The only real negative to the story is having the loving Serpent around because it's a constant reminder Fear Itself happened.

Thor has not hit anybody with a shark and that is a big negative for me. Just give me my shark pay off Aaron and all is forgiven.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I doubt it's Carol. I really liked the art this issue. Expressive characterization with a twinge of humor. And I loved how smug Thorelle looked at moments.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I like that old Thor's idea of detective work is going up to his ex who he thinks might be the culprit and going "Did you take my hammer?"

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Warren Ellis should help KSD out a whole lot, hopefully he gives her enough advice to go forward with a compelling story. The banter Kelly does is probably the best part of the book, but the stories are suck a drag.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I just want a bit less on the mystery and more on the action, at least in this past issue. Just a bit too much talking going on. Still down for Thor, but a bit less excited than I was at the start.

ANGR was freaking great this week but that last page better end up a fake-out.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I just want a bit less on the mystery and more on the action, at least in this past issue. Just a bit too much talking going on. Still down for Thor, but a bit less excited than I was at the start.

ANGR was freaking great this week but that last page better end up a fake-out.

Initially I hated the art work for ANGR. Once I read the first collected edition I realized how awesome the art work is given the story they wanted to tell.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
I hope it's not taboo to link to Cheezburger, because I thought this was too cute not to be shared.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

SirDan3k posted:

Yeah I think that's right. I especially minded that scene because it was so goddamn didactic. I dig Thor's new direction, and I like girl Thor's design and the aforementioned moon scene, but I feel like Aaron is writing with a big old pair of ham fists. I understand and appreciate what he's trying to do, but perhaps he should go about it in a better way than "Don't use feminism as a 4 letter word!". I kind of hate writing that very clearly walks you through the points it's trying to teach you. I think it's a good lesson, but it's patronizing to do it in such a boring and facile way.

TNG fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Feb 14, 2015

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I don't like the Serpent being around because yeah, Fear itself and also put his dialogue in your mind as coming out of that awful Hellfire Kid Aaron made up and I guess died on the way back to his home planet. I find it's the same weak rear end writing, there's a certain kind of evil Aaron isn't good at doing.

The idea of Odin letting his brother back in and the two of them being dicks together is good, but I kinda wish the Serpent would be the more moderate of the two and oh boy soon he'll betray Asgard and its back to the snoremines with me. Sometimes I wish writers could just let character be more often.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I don't think I'd mind Thorelle sticking around long term. Even in the MCU having Chris Hemsworth pass the hammer to another worthy lady would be a good way to have a Thor around.

I'm glad the Marvel verse is being more diverse with Ms. Marvel, female Thor, Miles Morales Spidey, etc.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

No hate on Lady Thor, but there's already 2 Thunderstrikes and Beta Ray Bill, I kinda doubt she'll have much staying power.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Lurdiak posted:

No hate on Lady Thor, but there's already 2 Thunderstrikes and Beta Ray Bill, I kinda doubt she'll have much staying power.

Yeah. Good point. Beta Ray Bill, I forgot about him. He'd be good for GoG. Or gently caress. It shoulda been Beta Ray Bill, Thor, Heimdall and Sif taking on Celestials for Thor 3.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Obviously all of this is paving the way for the return of Frog Thor.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

TNG posted:

Obviously all of this is paving the way for the return of Frog Thor.

twist: This is frog Thor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Vishass posted:

twist: This is frog Thor
That would be the best twist Marvel has had in years.

• Locked thread