Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

It was called a bowl off and it was every player taking turns as bowling at a single stump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

-Spiffy- posted:

Didn't there used to be a thing where a bowler got 6 balls to hit the stumps the most.

Or did I make that up.

Yeah it was called a bowl off and it was embarrassingly bad. Nobody could hit the damned stumps except for Scott loving Styris.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:
It was great, because you went from "Holy poo poo, did you see that wicket, these athletes are in their prime and can land it on a loving penny! Woo!" to "Huh, it really is just spray and hope isn't it."

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Haha yeah it owned.

Cricinfo has these which are so bad they are good.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc-cricket-world-cup-2015/content/gallery/827039.html

This one is the best tho

I just realised the keg in the inconography and the UAE appears to have a hookah pipe.

a real chump fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Feb 11, 2015

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
It looks like it was a normal wicket and it also looks like it owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwT9DlQQyME

I found two videos both of which were recorded off a VCR apparently

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Seams posted:

Super-overs are dumb but there isn't really a better solution other than playing the whole game again.
I'd have been happy with joint winners

newmalden
Dec 30, 2012

SHEFFIELD: SEX CITY

-Spiffy- posted:

Haha yeah it owned.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc-cricket-world-cup-2015/content/gallery/827039.html

This one is the best tho

I just realised the keg in the inconography and the UAE appears to have a hookah pipe.

Scotland's one is good. It has a highland piper irritating a cow.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:
Haha, Steyn, it's perfect

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian

-Spiffy- posted:

It looks like it was a normal wicket and it also looks like it owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwT9DlQQyME

I found two videos both of which were recorded off a VCR apparently

What the gently caress is that language? Why do Indians who talk about cricket use Indian words for everything except like Quarter Final, Umpire, 20/20 and poo poo? Surely there is an Indian word for quarter and final?

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

MacDougall posted:

What the gently caress is that language? Why do Indians who talk about cricket use Indian words for everything except like Quarter Final, Umpire, 20/20 and poo poo? Surely there is an Indian word for quarter and final?

There is something like 120 languages in India. They use English as a lingua franca.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

gabensraum posted:

Possibly my least favourite but that's ok, we cool.

Mine would be the one from around 1985-88, predominantly yellow and a Footscray-style green hoop around the middle. Or just when it was still mostly whites in 78-79 but with green and yellow stripes on the shoulders.

edit: handy guide

I kinda want one of the lightning bolt jerseys. Badly.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I think the 89-92 without the writing would be my choice if pressed. I like the slight asymmetry of the one hooped sleeve.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Morgan appears to have slotted into Cook's shoes perfectly as captain. Good grief.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Wasn't the '99 shirt design due to the phasing out of cigarette advertising, with one last hurrah for B&H with the southern cross looking like ciggies coming out of a packet?

Much like what Ferrari keeping the not so subtle illusion to their Marlboro sponsorship in F1.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
The 89 kit looks like some minor league baseball team kit and that's pretty funny

Bharatrocity
Oct 20, 2005

One day son, all I own will still belong to the state

They're all ugly as sin ffs

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
On the topic of bowl-offs/outs, there's this from a few years ago in England (complete with amusing fan quote).
I'm sure I remember there being another one in recent years in England, but I'm getting nothing from Google or Wikipedia, so it may just be me getting old.

kingturnip fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 11, 2015

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

MacDougall posted:

Famous Indian Wasim Akram presents.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Late on the Shirt chat but I liked the baseball-esque ones in 92, and also the half vertical stripes one. I had a Victoria shirt in that template, and I really loved it. The recent Victoria one-day shirts have been rat poo poo, and I refuse to buy a Stars or Renegades top because I am not 12.

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 12, 2015

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Shirt chat is absolutely fascinating in my opinion.

Has anyone played Don Bradman Cricket 14?

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Lionel Richie posted:

IGN posted:

Don Bradman Cricket 14 may bear the name of the greatest batsman to ever play the game, but the finished product is designed to behave less like The Don and more like a certain modern day member of the Australian top order. It’s extremely capable and occasionally brilliant, but with a tendency to undo all of its hard work with the odd baffling error in judgement or apparent technical fault. In short, it’s the Shane Watson of cricket games.

:lol:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

snaeksikn posted:

the best australian odi kit was from like 2006 where they had the dark green with metallic gold highlights

Best shirt. Still got one in the cupboard.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

I knew David Warner "wrote" some children's books, but I didn't realise Glenn Maxwell was following in his footsteps:

subroc
Jun 5, 2004

-Spiffy- posted:

Haha yeah it owned.

This one is the best tho

Mitchell Johnson looks like a frightened child.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
It's not quite the same tier as the guy who drew a bunch of pictures of Tendulkar but its close.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I honestly thought the worst one was England/Broad, he looks like his mum just told him couldn't have a Freddo at the supermarket.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Lionel Richie posted:

I've put a fair few hours into it.
The batting is pretty good, and once you get the hang of it, the answer to 'How the gently caress did I get out to that?' is always - "Because I was being stupid."
The bowling is also good, but gets really tedious outside of limited overs matches, to the point where it's actually difficult to finish a season as a bowler.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Is Australia having their own opening ceremony. This thing is embarrassing.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Spedman posted:

I honestly thought the worst one was England/Broad, he looks like his mum just told him couldn't have a Freddo at the supermarket.

thats just how broad looks

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Spedman posted:

I don't blame her, have you seen the price of those things now?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
What the hell.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

This giant puppet thing is walking about as fast as Inzamam did between wickets

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
this is Very Bad

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

I guess since Australia is in Eurovision this year this is what we can look forward to hosting if we actually win the stupid thing.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

I hope Batsman Gundam dropkicks Jessica Mauboy over the Yarra

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.

subroc posted:

Mitchell Johnson looks like a frightened child.

He's afraid he's going to murder the batsman.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
It's good that they had the opening ceremony on Thursday night so that everybody has an entire day and a half to recover from the sheer excitement before the boring cricket starts

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

It was a bit odd.

And extremely crap.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Cricket is an anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

newmalden
Dec 30, 2012

SHEFFIELD: SEX CITY
Team by team guide from the London Grauniad, including fairly comprehensive takes on the minnows. Not as amusing as the OP.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/feb/12/cricket-world-cup-team-guide