Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

thespaceinvader posted:

Anniversary Edition has all of the expansion content to date, in a very nice box with very nice components. Get anniversary edition.

How much better are the components? The game appears to be about 50% more expensive here in the UK than just buying the game plus expansion. I don't think I give a crap about a better box, but could be persuaded if playing pieces are brilliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Funso Banjo posted:

How much better are the components? The game appears to be about 50% more expensive here in the UK than just buying the game plus expansion. I don't think I give a crap about a better box, but could be persuaded if playing pieces are brilliant.

Metal coins, plastic boxes to store things in glass markers, miniatures for trolls instead of cardboard tokens

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

It also has the Alternative Dungeon Setups cards, which aren't present in the game + expansion.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Speaking of the metal coins I used than when I finally managed to get dungeon petz to the table last night, when down incredibly well, everyone loved the look, and descriptions of the pets. Played it with a guy who hadn't play much in the way of heavier games before, though he had watched Rahdo's video of it before hand so he picked up the rules quickly enough.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

snuff posted:

Man why can't boardgamers just be normal people, this hobby is making me feel dirty and shameful.

Because a boardgamers lack of personality and social skills can totally be plastered-over if they just use references, memes, and make horrible jokes too loudly, because that what popular people do right? They bellow things that are "funny"?

(To be fare this is a some boardgamers comment)

#NotAllBoardGamers

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Every hobby is super weird, like I can't think of one outside of maybe like, I dunno, Cycling where most of the people engaging in it at the level of making Youtube tutorials or discussing it on a payment-gated forum aren't bizarre in one way or another. Have you fuckin' listened to people who do really in depth fantasy sports stuff talk?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Countblanc posted:

Every hobby is super weird, like I can't think of one outside of maybe like, I dunno, Cycling where most of the people engaging in it at the level of making Youtube tutorials or discussing it on a payment-gated forum aren't bizarre in one way or another. Have you fuckin' listened to people who do really in depth fantasy sports stuff talk?

I can't stand those loving nerds

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Countblanc posted:

Have you fuckin' listened to people who do really in depth fantasy sports stuff talk?

Yeah Blood Bowl players have posted here occasionally.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Countblanc posted:

At least people in other hobbies shower. :(

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Board Gaming is a hobby that encourages you to stay indoors with a select group of people, of course it attracts and breeds weirdos who have no idea how repellent normies find them.

Countblanc posted:

Cyclists get pretty weird, at least the ones that are heavy in to advocacy.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

PerniciousKnid posted:

At least people in other hobbies shower. :(

If I'm playing a board game and someone is gross and doesn't shower I'll call them out on it. Holy poo poo BO I can't stand it makes me queasy. Plus unless other people call others out the hobby won't get past that kind of mass image of the gross greasy smelly nerd

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Sometimes I wonder how nerdy "boardgaming enthusiasm" is globally, across different major cultures and regions. If there were some sort of nerdiness index, where would it sit relative to other things and how would it vary when you moved from country to country?

I suspect it's regarded as less nerdy when you live somewhere where you are forced to spend more of the year indoors. It's probably more popular the more educated a population is, but this is just a guess. And it's expensive, so I would assume it's even more fringe in less wealthy regions.

Is nerdonomy an academic major yet? I imagine there is a serious but painfully naive discussion about this thing somewhere on reddit that will make me abandon this whole line of thought..

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

If I'm playing a board game and someone is gross and doesn't shower I'll call them out on it. Holy poo poo BO I can't stand it makes me queasy. Plus unless other people call others out the hobby won't get past that kind of mass image of the gross greasy smelly nerd

You can't do that! What about the 5 Geek Fallacies?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Sometimes I wonder how nerdy "boardgaming enthusiasm" is globally, across different major cultures and regions. If there were some sort of nerdiness index, where would it sit relative to other things and how would it vary when you moved from country to country?

I suspect it's regarded as less nerdy when you live somewhere where you are forced to spend more of the year indoors. It's probably more popular the more educated a population is, but this is just a guess. And it's expensive, so I would assume it's even more fringe in less wealthy regions.

Is nerdonomy an academic major yet? I imagine there is a serious but painfully naive discussion about this thing somewhere on reddit that will make me abandon this whole line of thought..

Please take a shower. Also, it's called anthropology, you just have to study nerds instead of foreigners.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I have lived in Northern Ontario and Alberta during the winters. People don't play a lot of nerd games they play Checkers and Cards all the time. Normal adult people just play card game like Hearts and Poker or whatever. Board games are for children, man-children, and germans.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

And hipsters.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

BonHair posted:

Please take a shower. Also, it's called anthropology, you just have to study nerds instead of foreigners.

I'm cool as gently caress and shower all the time :colbert:

There is less published nerd anthropology out there than I would have expected. Found this http://www.linguistics.ucsb.edu/faculty/bucholtz/sites/secure.lsit.ucsb.edu.ling.cms_bucholtz/files/docs/publications/Bucholtz2001-JLA.pdf

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Bubble-T posted:

Cyclists get pretty weird, at least the ones that are heavy in to advocacy.

One of my friends is big into cycling and yeah, that scene puts board gamers to shame in the weird department.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Hra Mormo posted:

One of my friends is big into cycling and yeah, that scene puts board gamers to shame in the weird department.

I can concur. Think really fit but weird as hell people.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Hra Mormo posted:

That's because cyclists have this weird large over lap with homeopathy people. Seriously like every serious cycling person I've met has also been one of those weird homeopathy people who think like BIG PHARMA is hiding the cure for cancer and AIDS in order to make money

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I have friends that are super into running, and the meme where all the "inspirational" poo poo they spout is layered over images of people drinking is spot-on.

And don't even get me started on those Crossfit people.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Board gaming could learn a thing or two from chess-boxing.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Chill la Chill posted:

definitely a mystery for sure.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

I could get into Caylus-Boxing

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Keyflower boxing would have a sort of thematic elegance.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I work in a huge engineering department and have been in both the gaming and cycling cliques. Not a lot of overlap. My anecdotal impression is that hardcore cycling attracts normie introverts whereas tabletop gaming attracts more geeky extroverts. At least amongst the people who have their poo poo together enough to work as an engineer somewhere.

Cycling is kind of a meditation; you get into a trance, feel as if you are flying, and take in the ambiance of nature. You don't talk much at all and most interaction with other humans during a good ride is usually a compromise of the experience.

So I guess it might have some in common with the most hardcore euros where the weight of the cognitive load forces all distraction out of one's mind and puts one in to a trance state.

But it's different in that you can often turn off your mind while cycling whereas most board games exercise it. I think one of the reasons hardcore cycling is so popular with engineers is that when they want to think, there is a ton of empirical poo poo to study and things to buy, and when their brain is burnt out they can simply ride and turn it off and maybe even meditate away some stress without having to admit it.

Note, this is road cycling culture that I'm familiar with, fixies and bike messenger culture is obviously totally different.

Running culture is insane to me because I want to be able to hike with my grand children

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Running culture is insane to me because I want to be able to hike with my grand children

Cycling culture doesn't even let you have children to give you grandchildren.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

medchem posted:

Cycling culture doesn't even let you have children to give you grandchildren.

Good point. I get made fun of for having one of those ball/taint cradling saddles instead of a super hard and narrow pro saddle. But gently caress that poo poo

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Anyone going to OrcCon/Strategicon this weekend? I'll be there, hoping to buy a copy of Argent The Consortsium among other games....gonna try to find and pick up the Terra Mystica expansion, the Village Port expansion, the Bruges expansion and sell a ton of games at the flea market.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Good point. I get made fun of for having one of those ball/taint cradling saddles instead of a super hard and narrow pro saddle. But gently caress that poo poo

Psh, you're riding the munchkin of saddles. What you need is.. gently caress, what's a terrible game that gets good with the expansion so I can make a joke about those weird foam diapers bikers wear to protect their scrotums?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Hra Mormo posted:

gently caress, what's a terrible game that gets good with the expansion

Twilight Imperium 3.

Alternatively if video game analogies suffice then every Civilization game made in the last ten years.

Schizoguy
Mar 1, 2002

I have so many things on my social calendar these days, it is difficult to know which you are making reference to, in particular.

Hra Mormo posted:

Psh, you're riding the munchkin of saddles. What you need is.. gently caress, what's a terrible game that gets good with the expansion so I can make a joke about those weird foam diapers bikers wear to protect their scrotums?

Ooh, I know this one! Eminent Domain!

alathar
Jan 6, 2004
O_o

bobvonunheil posted:

Few things are more painful than watching Rahdo try to make a move and spend like 5 minutes deliberating on what he should do, then take it back after he performs the other player's turn, all while the cam shakes all over the place.

If you can tolerate that though, his videos are pretty good for learning games and I appreciate that.

A page back, but he has started also doing static cam recordings at the same time as his hand cam. One less annoyance! And yes, I can't really stand watching over review/runthrough videos compared to Rahdo.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Chomp8645 posted:

Twilight Imperium 3.

Alternatively if video game analogies suffice then every Civilization game made in the last ten years.

Which expansion is needed? It is my aspiration to one day play TI3

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

A printed copy of the Imperial II card.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

Shattered Empire is the semi-mandatory one. It's needed to give the game sane strategy cards and objectives, the other goodies are gravy on top. Shards of the Throne has some goodies too but isn't nearly as important and should be left alone until you have a few games under your belt anyway.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

What do you folks think of the Golden Geek nominees for 2014? https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1317685/2014-golden-geek-awards-nominees-announced-vote-no

Which games on this list will we still be talking about in 3-5 years?

quote:

Board Game

Board Game of the Year
Alchemists
AquaSphere
Castles of Mad King Ludwig
Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game
Deus
Five Tribes
Imperial Settlers
Istanbul
Kanban: Automotive Revolution
Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game
One Night Ultimate Werewolf
Orléans
Panamax
Pandemic: The Cure
Roll for the Galaxy
Sheriff of Nottingham
Splendor
Star Realms
Star Wars: Imperial Assault
Xia: Legends of a Drift System

2-Player Game
Akrotiri
The Battle of Five Armies
Blue Moon Legends
Doomtown: Reloaded
Draco Magi
Fields of Arle
Imperial Settlers
Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men
Marvel Dice Masters: Uncanny X-Men
Pagoda
Patchwork
Province
Star Realms
Warhammer 40,000: Conquest
Wir sind das Volk!

Abstract Game
Burgoo
Constructo
Haru Ichiban
Lagoon: Land of Druids
Medina (second edition)
Nika
Onitama
Patchwork
This Town Ain't Big Enough for the 2-4 Of Us
Town Center (4th edition)

Artwork & Presentation
Abyss
Alchemists
Black Fleet
Colt Express
Evolution
Five Tribes
Imperial Settlers
Lagoon: Land of Druids
Scoville
Splendor
Ticket to Ride: 10th Anniversary

Card Game
Abyss
Diamonds
Doomtown: Reloaded
Greenland
Imperial Settlers
Linko!
Paperback
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Skull & Shackles – Base Set
Port Royal
Red7
Sheriff of Nottingham
Star Realms
Valley of the Kings
Yardmaster Express

Children's Game
Abraca...what?
Blocky Mountains
Bucket King 3D
Dino Race
Doodle Quest
Dragon Valley
Flizz & Miez
Geister, Geister, Schatzsuchmeister!
Gloobz
Happy Birthday!
Ivor the Engine
Krosmaster Junior
Rhino Hero
Roar-a-Saurus
Tales & Games: The Hare & the Tortoise

Expansion
7 Wonders: Babel
Bruges: The City on the Zwin
Clash of Cultures: Civilizations
Cosmic Encounter: Cosmic Dominion
Cyclades: Titans
Eldritch Horror: Forsaken Lore
Eldritch Horror: Mountains of Madness
Eminent Domain: Escalation
Fleet: Arctic Bounty
Keyflower: The Merchants
Mice and Mystics: Downwood Tales
Smash Up: Science Fiction Double Feature
Terra Mystica: Fire & Ice
Trains: Rising Sun
Tuscany: Expand the World of Viticulture

Family Game
Black Fleet
Camel Up
Colt Express
Evolution
La Isla
Istanbul
King of New York
Paperback
Red7
Sheriff of Nottingham
Splendor
Ticket to Ride: 10th Anniversary

Innovative
Alchemists
The Battle at Kemble's Cascade
Colt Express
Five Tribes
Orléans
Panamax
Paperback
Rattlebones
Red7
Roll for the Galaxy
Spyfall

Party Game
Ca$h 'n Guns (second edition)
Concept
Good Cop Bad Cop
King of New York
Pairs
Red7
Sheriff of Nottingham
Spyfall
Ultimate Werewolf: Deluxe Edition

Print & Play
1066, Tears To Many Mothers
...and then we held hands...
B-17 Bomber Squadron: A Solitaire Game of the WWII Daylight Bombing Campaign over Europe.
The Draugr
Elevenses for One
Grunts
In Security
A Straight Road
Supermarché
Ukrainian Crisis

Solo Game
Assault on Doomrock
Codeword Cromwell: The German Invasion of England, 8 June 1940
D-Day at Tarawa
Enemy Coast Ahead: The Dambuster Raid
Fields of Arle
Fire in the Lake
Fleet Commander: Nimitz
Imperial Settlers
Onirim (second edition)
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Skull & Shackles – Base Set
Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients
Warfighter: The Tactical Special Forces Card Game

Strategy Game
Alchemists
AquaSphere
Deus
Five Tribes
La Granja
Hyperborea
Imperial Settlers
Istanbul
Kanban: Automotive Revolution
Orléans
Panamax
Roll for the Galaxy
Star Realms

Thematic Game
Arcadia Quest
The Battle at Kemble's Cascade
Colt Express
Cthulhu Wars
Evolution
Greenland
King of New York
Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients
Thunder Alley

Wargame
1944: Race to the Rhine
Blood & Roses
D-Day at Tarawa
Enemy Coast Ahead: The Dambuster Raid
Fire in the Lake
Heroes of Normandie
HoldFast: Russia 1941-1942
Hoplite
Quartermaster General
Reluctant Enemies
Storm Over Dien Bien Phu
Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe
Warfighter: The Tactical Special Forces Card Game
Wir sind das Volk!

Best Podcast
Advance After Combat
Blue Peg, Pink Peg
Boardgames To Go
The D6 Generation - Dice Are Our Vice
The Dice Tower
Flip the Table
Heavy Cardboard
The Long View
Ludology
On Board Games
Plaid Hat Podcast
Rolling Dice & Taking Names
The Secret Cabal Gaming Podcast
Shut Up & Sit Down: The Podcast!
The Spiel

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm literally incapable of holding that many distinct opinions on that many games all at once.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

How is Castles of Mad King Ludwig in either Family games or Solo games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I'm impressed that they have the balls to completely ignore Tragedy Looper.