Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Does anyone else's iPhone 6 hang while scrolling from time to time? At first I thought it was the awful app but it also appears in feedly and Safari. Like a solid 1-3 seconds where the touchscreen doesn't respond at all. It's not too frequent but annoying nonetheless. Googled around a bit and there seem to be more users with this problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
I'm moving to Seoul this summer. Will my iPhone 6 work with the carriers there after I get AT&T to unlock it?

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

terre packet posted:

I'm moving to Seoul this summer. Will my iPhone 6 work with the carriers there after I get AT&T to unlock it?

I think it should. I used my unlocked KT iPhone 4 in the US on an AT&T partner when I was in the States once.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
My friend broke his phone recently and I gave him an old 4 I had. Unfortunately I can't remember the password and it won't let me restore without it. What can I do to get it unlocked besides take it to the store?

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

goodness posted:

My friend broke his phone recently and I gave him an old 4 I had. Unfortunately I can't remember the password and it won't let me restore without it. What can I do to get it unlocked besides take it to the store?

Google how to do a DFU restore

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

bronin posted:

Does anyone else's iPhone 6 hang while scrolling from time to time? At first I thought it was the awful app but it also appears in feedly and Safari. Like a solid 1-3 seconds where the touchscreen doesn't respond at all. It's not too frequent but annoying nonetheless. Googled around a bit and there seem to be more users with this problem.

My 6+ has been doing this for a couple of weeks. Figured it was an iOS issue.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

IllegallySober posted:

My 6+ has been doing this for a couple of weeks. Figured it was an iOS issue.

Here's looking forward to iOS 9.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

terre packet posted:

Just checking LTE bands supported and bands used in Korea, it looks like it'll work on the three major carriers without a problem

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

My parents just both bought 6's and were talked into paying $90 a piece to make them look butt ugly . I swear to god, the snake oil companies sell to old people...

http://www.amazon.com/LifeProof-iPhone-Case-Series-Black/dp/B00NCJ4A20 (I guess they were $90 at the verizon store. A little cheaper on Amazon)

The whole case industry is such a joke. $90 and this flimsy rear end garbage piece of plastic can be yours!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Looks like this snake oil would have served you well:

NESguerilla posted:

:ughh: the screen on my brand new 6 got annihilated tonight. Is there a chance in hell I can sweet talk apple into repairing/replacing it without a charge or with some sort of dicount? The thing is barely a couple of weeks old. Alternately, what do they charge for a replacement these days? This blows.

Really though, Lifeproofs are solid cases (a bit overpriced, but good).

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

NESguerilla posted:

My parents just both bought 6's and were talked into paying $90 a piece to make them look butt ugly . I swear to god, the snake oil companies sell to old people...

http://www.amazon.com/LifeProof-iPhone-Case-Series-Black/dp/B00NCJ4A20 (I guess they were $90 at the verizon store. A little cheaper on Amazon)

The whole case industry is such a joke. $90 and this flimsy rear end garbage piece of plastic can be yours!

If that case works as advertised, it's a steal.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
My wife had the lifeproof for her 5 before she upgraded, and it was good protection for the phone. It survived several drops and trips to the beach no problem. Had some trouble with the touch screen near the bezel sometimes, though maybe they've fixed that in the newer versions.

ArcaneMan
Nov 2, 2004
uh oh
How do the speakers work if it's enclosed?

Selane
May 19, 2006

ArcaneMan posted:

Poorly!

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

ArcaneMan posted:

It's not completely enclosd, it still has the hole for the logo. You know, for added durability and brand recognition.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Just got my 6+, am in love, but need a screen protector. This is the recommended one, no?

Trillest Parrot
Jul 9, 2006

trill parrots don't die
I have a glass one from the Verizon store, :iia:

Get one cheaper somewhere else obvs

Trillest Parrot fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Feb 12, 2015

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Butt Savage posted:

Just got my 6+, am in love, but need a screen protector. This is the recommended one, no?
Eh it's the one I have on my 6 as well as the rest of my family, I got it for the lifetime warranty. We've gotten two free replacements so far for minor chips, just needed to send order info and a pic of the damage.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
ALL GLASS SCREEN PROTECTORS ARE THE SAME

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

noirstronaut posted:

ALL GLASS SCREEN PROTECTORS ARE THE SAME

Technically when it comes to the 6/6+ some of them cover the whole screen while some of them don't.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

Looks like this snake oil would have served you well:

Haha. poo poo, I knew that would get brought up. For real though no case in the world would have saved that phone. I still hate cases. Caseless for life.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

NESguerilla posted:

Haha. poo poo, I knew that would get brought up. For real though no case in the world would have saved that phone. I still hate cases. Caseless for life.

The official Apple leather cases are amazing. I finally picked up one for my 6. It's the closest you can get to going naked.

edit: Because I hate case chat, when the hell is 8.2 dropping. They've already started seeding 8.3 to devs.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Jose Oquendo posted:

The official Apple leather cases are amazing. I finally picked up one for my 6. It's the closest you can get to going naked.

edit: Because I hate case chat, when the hell is 8.2 dropping. They've already started seeding 8.3 to devs.

8.2 is the Apple Watch update, so I'd expect it to be out in March sometime ahead of the Watch April release date.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
My father-in-law broke his hand hitting a urinal while grabbing for his phone after dropping it.

Now he has a life proof case and permanent arthritis in his hand.

And no, he didn't catch his phone.

Karki
Feb 3, 2006

Who needs pussy?
Are people on this thread really still buying screen protectors? They make your screen look like poo poo and feel like poo poo. They are also much less resistant to scratches and oil than the bare screen, which makes them look even more terrible over time. I haven't seen a scratched iPhone screen in years. Those are the real snake oil.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Karki posted:

Are people on this thread really still buying screen protectors? They make your screen look like poo poo and feel like poo poo. They are also much less resistant to scratches and oil than the bare screen, which makes them look even more terrible over time. I haven't seen a scratched iPhone screen in years. Those are the real snake oil.

Well if you're ever in Philadelphia I can show you the scratches on my 6, really kicking myself for not getting one.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Karki posted:

That's weird. My wife and I tried going without screen protectors and got little scratches on both our 5Ses within days. Super typical use as well. It was stressing us out so we spent like fifteen bucks on screen protectors. The main difference is that we don't care if they look like poo poo now so it's less to think about, money well spent in my opinion.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

tuyop posted:

That's weird. My wife and I tried going without screen protectors and got little scratches on both our 5Ses within days. Super typical use as well. It was stressing us out so we spent like fifteen bucks on screen protectors. The main difference is that we don't care if they look like poo poo now so it's less to think about, money well spent in my opinion.

You're probably seeing a "scratch" on the oleophobic coating? Or at least that's what I hear every now and then. I have a few of those on my 6 that I can only really see under certain angles/lighting conditions but I have AC+ and I don't give a poo poo about it like I have in the past. That said,

Karki posted:

Hello I work in construction and without a screen protector / case your phone would be completely hosed if you try to use it after playing with soil/sand/concrete/whatever-the-gently caress-ends-up-on-my-hands.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Just checking LTE bands supported and bands used in Korea, it looks like it'll work on the three major carriers without a problem

Thanks for looking that up!

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Just to jump on the dogpile, a glass screen protector is drat near invisible. You could probably make a case that it is invisible. IMO there's almost no reason not to use one considering how many anecdotal reports there are of scratched up screens.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The iPhone Thread: It's Just Pages Of Screen Protector Debate And Occasionally Cases

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
What is the best screen protector to not obscure my weather app's notification centre widget?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Question Mark Mound posted:

What is the best screen protector to not obscure my weather app's notification centre widget?

an iphone 6+

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

carry on then posted:

an iphone 6+

Will the battery blow up if I plug it in to the charger too often? Or did they finally fix that?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

carry on then posted:

an iphone 6+

I can't wait to get an Apple Watch so I don't have to see the huge loving screen I paid for.

xzzy posted:

Will the battery blow up if I plug it in to the charger too often? Or did they finally fix that?

I had this happen. Twice. My very first 1st gen iPhone melted and last year my iPhone 5's battery swelled up and was ready to go and got a free out of warranty replacement out of it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
what's the best screen protector + case combo to get the most out of my 12 hour EDM mixes?

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

goodness posted:

If it's asking for the activation lock password, that won't help him all that much because it'll still be locked to your account. Use the apple ID forgot my password thing.

Karki
Feb 3, 2006

Who needs pussy?
Well, ignoring the construction use case which is an obvious exception, I guess I've just gotten lucky with mine and those around me. Fair enough.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Karki posted:

Well, ignoring the construction use case which is an obvious exception, I guess I've just gotten lucky with mine and those around me. Fair enough.

Yeah, for the 90% of us who have desk jobs, just don't put your keys in the same pocket--not even really a matter of luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Normally I'm preaching the caseless lifestyle myself, but the rounded edges of the 6 are just a little too slippery for me. That said I'm enjoying my spigen bumper thus far as a nice compromise.