Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

VagueRant posted:

What's the general take on the Hogfather TV adaptation? I just got through the audiobook and have been looking into it a little. (I always thought David Jason was playing Rincewind on TV. Albert makes a lot more sense!)
I liked it, but then I've never read the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Nihilarian posted:

I liked it, but then I've never read the book.

Read the book. Seriously.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

VagueRant posted:

What's the general take on the Hogfather TV adaptation? I just got through the audiobook and have been looking into it a little. (I always thought David Jason was playing Rincewind on TV. Albert makes a lot more sense!)

I really loved it. It's a much lower budget film than the other ones, but it's charming and has its own pace.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

VagueRant posted:

Maybe English people have different standards, but speaking as an American it was unbearably trashy even before you factor in the cut-rate Johnny Depp-Wonka performance for Teatime.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I thought the Hogfather was pretty good and I'd even go so far to say it's the only TV adaptation worth watching. Going Postal was poo poo as a TV adaptation if I'm honest but it was always going to be, because the interesting thing about Moist is the difference between his inner monologue and what his facial expressions and his words demonstrate. They made him look openly nervous and stuff in the TV adaptation but I think that it takes away from the character.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The only bit that threw me off with the TV Adaptation of Going Postal that threw me was it completely went against how I imagined the Golems to look. I think even the books directly come out and say that they look the way they do, more human, but for some reason I always imagined them as looking more rocky, bit like an earth elemental. Humanoid rather than human.
Found this online after a quick google, thought it was pretty neat!

Jedit posted:

Not more powerful, more talented. Nanny says it to Agnes in Lords and Ladies: that she's a naturally talented witch and Granny isn't, but Granny is a stronger witch because she works what little talent she has a lot harder.
Aha gotcha, I think I remember reading a line directly from Pratchett about it in one of the side books, Art of Discworld or something? I agree with your post though.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Feb 11, 2015

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Flipswitch posted:

The only bit that threw me off with the TV Adaptation of Going Postal that threw me was it completely went against how I imagined the Golems to look. I think even the books directly come out and say that they look the way they do, more human, but for some reason I always imagined them as looking more rocky, bit like an earth elemental. Humanoid rather than human.
Found this online after a quick google, thought it was pretty neat!

I imagined them as being smaller and slimmer but still human shaped. The really weird thing for me was them looking identical to one another, right down to the damage.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Nihilarian posted:

I imagined them as being smaller and slimmer but still human shaped. The really weird thing for me was them looking identical to one another, right down to the damage.

I imagined most of them to basically look like this:

With the older they are the less well sculpted they are because they've been fixed so many times over their life time.

That's why in feet of clay the King Golem is perfectly sculpted in human form with a handsome human face. He stood out as weird as the others didn't actually look human, just vaguely human shaped.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
You can argue that Nanny is the more powerful witch because she can utilize Granny and Granny is not as good at doing the reverse as she thinks she is.

You shouldn't argue that where Granny can hear you, though.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Feet of Clay makes me tear up every time I reread it.

WORDS IN THE HEART CANNOT BE TAKEN.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I got this golem figurine from my sister and now I just picture all the Disworld golems looking like it:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Feet of Clay makes me tear up every time I reread it.

WORDS IN THE HEART CANNOT BE TAKEN.

That line is why the title of the book was changed to Feet of Clay.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Oxxidation posted:

Maybe English people have different standards, but speaking as an American it was unbearably trashy even before you factor in the cut-rate Johnny Depp-Wonka performance for Teatime.

I liked it, but they should have cut some of the subplots and made it an actual movie instead of a 3,5-hour long (total) two-parter. Right now it feels like they really wanted to cram everything from the book in, but that rarely works on screen.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Rand Brittain posted:

You can argue that Nanny is the more powerful witch because she can utilize Granny and Granny is not as good at doing the reverse as she thinks she is.

You shouldn't argue that where Granny can hear you, though.

I think part of it as well is that most witches determine how powerful and talented you are by how much magic you don't do.

So like Granny never really makes potions she gives people coloured water and tells them they will feel better after drinking this potion. She uses headology and basically makes people second guess what her reaction will be when (not if!) she finds out.

By this standard Nanny Ogg is far more talented as she basically never does any magic. She relies on her army sized family and her good humour to get poo poo done. There's several times where both Granny and Nanny figure the same thing out at the same time where Granny has used magic and Nanny has just forced Our Shawn to tell her or something.

I know Granny wonders at one point if Nanny has some sort of magic that let's her be so likeable, but I don't think it is which is why she's so talented.

The difference is sometimes you need a big show down between Witches and some sort of magical enemy and that's where Granny wins because she's magically more capable than Nanny, but since Nanny knows this and she's often there nudging Granny towards solving the problem...

I think whoever mentioned talent vs power is right. Granny Weatherwax is the most powerful witch but maybe not the most talented.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

John Dough posted:

I liked it, but they should have cut some of the subplots and made it an actual movie instead of a 3,5-hour long (total) two-parter. Right now it feels like they really wanted to cram everything from the book in, but that rarely works on screen.

So far as I recall, the whole thing focuses on the assassination and Death as the Hogfather. I don't know what else you could cut, unless you wanted to completely eliminate Susan.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The pacing of the multiple endings is a mess. It didn't work amazingly in the book, and it's even worse in the tv version.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Granny ruminates on it in a few of the books, and what it essentially boils down to is that Esme is a stronger witch, but Nanny is a better witch. To both of them the core of witchcraft is helping other people, and Nanny's just... better at it. She improves people's lives in a million little ways that Granny just can't manage because she's too bitter, spiteful and focused to ever actually sit down and be people.

Granny is the witch you call when there's at wolf at the door, while Nanny is the witch you call for literally anything else. In fact, you didn't even have to call her, because she's already dropped by for a cup and to ask how the kids are doing, and say a few kind words about your dear father, rest his soul, and drop off a tincture for cousin Ramble's bad leg.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Isn't there also a bit of a note at some point that Nanny was naturally a witch and had more innate magical power, whereas Esme didn't really have any but managed to become an incredibly powerful witch through pure force of will?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Isn't there also a bit of a note at some point that Nanny was naturally a witch and had more innate magical power, whereas Esme didn't really have any but managed to become an incredibly powerful witch through pure force of will?

I don't think magical power factored into that line. Is was just that Nanny was naturally suited to being a witch; she had a talent for it and, being an easy going sort of dame, she rolled with it. Esme decided she was going to be a witch, and heaven help anyone who got in her way.

Magical aptitude doesn't have a lot to do with someone's capability at witchcraft on the Discworld. Petulia Gristle is one of the best witches of her generation, specifically because she's good with pigs, because the world doesn't need saving every day, but someone's always got a sick pig.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 12, 2015

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I think that contrast is why Nanny and Granny work so well together.

Nanny will help you because she likes you. Her bedside manner is amazing. You want Nanny to stop by, unless you're married to her sons.

Granny will help you whether you want the help or not, in the most efficient way possible, and leave you wondering if you might have been better off if she never stopped by in the first place.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Masquerade needs more love because it really shows the differences between Nanny and Granny. They both solve the mystery, but do it independently of each other through different methods and with a different solution for those they help, but get to the same end. It really serves as a nice contrast in methods and how they practice witching, but also shows how they compliment each other.

Though speaking of styles, I'll never get tired of the fact that despite being described as meek and soppy, Magrat's style is overwhelming brute force against the target, whether it is blowing up a door and dungeon wall because she didn't want to wait for the keys, or beating seven shades of hell out of the elf queen.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The Witches books have really grown on me over the years, they're just so excellent and fun to read. I really struggle to pick out a favourite of a series within Discworld, but I think I'd have to give it to the City Watch books.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Fried Chicken posted:

Though speaking of styles, I'll never get tired of the fact that despite being described as meek and soppy, Magrat's style is overwhelming brute force against the target, whether it is blowing up a door and dungeon wall because she didn't want to wait for the keys, or beating seven shades of hell out of the elf queen.

Not really surprising when you consider that her top character trait is basically "thinking that things are Really Important."

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

It honestly took me a long time to warm up to the witches but now that I Get them a little better they're up there with Vimes et al..

I still can't fuckin stand reading about wizards though.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Skippy McPants posted:

She improves people's lives in a million little ways that Granny just can't manage because she's too bitter, spiteful and focused to ever actually sit down and be people.
Eh? Granny isn't bitter and spiteful. She's well aware she's supposed to be The Bad One, so she keeps those aspects of her personality well under control.

She just isn't nice that's all, but that's not the same thing. She always has people's best interests at heart (whether they loving like it or not).

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

tooterfish posted:

Eh? Granny isn't bitter and spiteful. She's well aware she's supposed to be The Bad One, so she keeps those aspects of her personality well under control.

She just isn't nice that's all, but that's not the same thing. She always has people's best interests at heart (whether they loving like it or not).

She is a bit bitter that she couldn't be the bad one, especially since her sister was so crap at it.But that's something she came to terms with a long time ago.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

tooterfish posted:

Pterry has said that Granny was in part inspired by the witch in Into The Woods, who says "I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right". Granny's problem is that she's well respected, so the only thing stopping her abusing her position is herself. If she weren't well respected, though, she might be worse. That's the real difference between Esme and Lily; Lily thought she could make people respect her, while Esme knows respect has to be earned.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

tooterfish posted:

She's bitter and spiteful because she has everyone's best interests at heart. You're correct; she's not nice, and the strain of always having to do right by people who are, by and large, petty, stupid, never thank her and even fear her, is enough to make anyone extremely grumpy.

idoliside
Dec 8, 2010

VagueRant posted:

I found it slow and the pacing really bad. The actors were casted well but watching it as a whole instead of the four parts makes it drag on quite a bit.

How are the books past A Long Earth, I've read that one just wondering if War/Mars were worth picking up now or waiting for the cheaper paperback.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Granny is totally bitter and spiteful; see The Sea and Little FIshes for an example.

Not even just the bit about the Witch Trials! The story starts with Nanny deliberately baiting Granny with a token of esteem someone gave Nanny, so that Granny will take out a bit of her ongoing grudge on Nanny and not on the rest of the world.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
I don't think Granny is spiteful, as spiteful implies unnecessary cruelty, or taking pleasure in being cruel.

I think she's like Vetinari in the way she totally believes in necessary cruelty, but won't just be cruel for no reason.

I think she is bitter though. She's bitter because everyone else around her that she helps is an idiot and her life would be a lot easier if she didn't have to lie and manipulate the simple peasant folk. At the same time though she also takes pride in her work and likes the respect she gets from tricking simple peasant folk, so Granny can't be Granny if everyone she helps wasn't an idiot.

So yeah I think spiteful is a bit unfair, especially as there are plenty of instances where she shows mercy where she didn't need too, and everything cruel she does is nearly always in order to help someone.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.
I really like what Granny tells her sister in their moment alone together.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I just really like Granny.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Spiteful has the wrong connotation, I think. She does know what's best for people and is irritated by them being drat fools, but she doesn't go out of the way to hurt people for her own reasons. Just the opposite in fact, she only does it when her other methods haven't worked and it is for something bigger. It is a core part of her character and, in Weird Sisters, the plot. The nadir of the protagonists in it is when they almost get run over by the cart, it is also the only time we see Granny almost lose it and cut loose. If she had it would have confirmed the rumors and lead to the witches losing, but with the help of Nanny and Margat she manages to rein herself in and bring her self control (which is her heroic power, in plot terms) back to the fore so she can think and work her way out of the problem.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Granny was given an impossibly cute kitten as a prank by Tiffany and she accepted the burden of being owned by a cat and treats it with respect.

Anyone who is nice to cats is ok, as Death would agree.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Pwnstar posted:

Granny was given an impossibly cute kitten as a prank by Tiffany and she accepted the burden of being owned by a cat and treats it with respect.

Anyone who is nice to cats is ok, as Death would agree.

I dont think it was a prank, I think it was more of a test. She knew Granny wasn't enjoying being alone as much as she made out and she wasn't as nasty as she made out either.

So she gave her the cat as a sort of test. She could have just rejected the cat there and then but that was what would have been expected. As we all know Granny doesn't do what other people expect her to do, so she accepts the cat making it look reluctant but secretly appreciating it it. Which is what Tiffany expected her to do.

It's the same when Tiffany gives her that cloak at the end of the last novel. Everyone knows Granny doesn't like fancy stuff but Tiffany knows she does secretly like the idea of being a bit fancy (just like when she gave that shepherd china doll to her nan. Her nan knew a real shepherd doesn't wear fancy dresses, but it would be nice if they could). So she gives it to her in a way that let's her save face.

Like in both of them Tiffany presents the gift as something that Granny is uniquely qualified to look after or use, and she could give it to someone else but it wouldn't be as well looked after or it would be a waste. So of COURSE Granny needs to accept it, I mean it's not like she really has a choice is it? At the same time though if you actually don't give Granny a choice she will move mountains to choose something different to you offered.

I think it's basically an insight into how good Tiffany is as a witch.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Feb 15, 2015

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Maybe test was a better word yeah but she was definitely amused with herself for doing it. Another reason why it proves she's a good witch is that its the kind of thing Nanny would do, earlier on she kinda sees Granny as the pinnacle of witchery but then she meets Nanny Ogg who doesn't seem to act like a witch at all at first. Then there's a scene where she gets Granny to do what she wants by making her think she came up with the idea and Tiffany is like "hooooly poo poo"

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Well it's said that Granny's pride is her biggest weakness, which is why she's relatively easy work for Nanny to manipulate. On the other hand, Nanny has no shame so it's like the total opposite of what Granny's weakness is.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Pride is one of Granny's primary weapons, it also serves as a weakness sometimes because pride does have it's limits. There are a lot of things it won't allow you to do, even if you might want to. It also makes you predictable, to an extent, which is why less rigid witches like Nanny or Tiffany are sometimes able to manipulate Granny. Esme knows they're playing her, but she has to go along for the sake of appearance.

Tiffany is almost too good a witch. I give her a pass because her book series was convinced for a younger audience, but she's essentially Granny with most of the neurosis filtered out. All of the competence and cunning, but with only a fraction the arrogance and surliness. And it can't even be said that she'll calcify as she ages, since we've met the older her, and she's still pretty laid back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
This sounds cool:

http://www.randomhouse.co.uk/editions/the-discworld-atlas/9780857521309

quote:

Painstakingly compiled under the aegis of the Unseen University’s Department of Cruel and Unusual Geography, The Discworld Atlas is a glorious travellers’ guide to the marvellous world created by Sir Terry Pratchett.

Drawing on myriad sources – from explorers' journals and prospectors' maps to archives of the great libraries and reports of merchants and missionaries alike – this stunning work brings to life the lands and locations of the Discworld stories in a way never seen before. Accompanied by lavish full-colour illustrations and a detailed world map, this is a must-have for any Discworld fan.

Comes out 22/10.