Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Acne Rain posted:

thaumcraft flight harness and runic armor are creatable pre-nether and make trips much less of a pain.

Thaumcraft flight harness requires quartz last time I checked.

Also, Ars Magica 2 liquid essence is basically water but works in the nether and doesn't freeze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

That makes me sad. Personally, what do you use bees for and how long does it take you to set things up for it?

I don't use bees when I can help it. Vanilla forestry bees produce nothing of note, and the effort required to make any resource-producing special bees from other mods is usually not worth the rate of production. Magic bees were of some use in TC3 but we're past that I think.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
I'm trying to install FxFix for Buildcraft 3.4.3 (Mindcrack on 1.4.7), but the only download link I've been able to find is broken. Anyone here happen to have a copy or mirror kicking around?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Blood Moons are The Devil. They always come up when I'm in the middle of working on a technical project. Then some skeleton shows up outside the base, firing rockets everywhere. It puts a hole near a door, and something starts beating me up while I'm at a crafting table. Then I go to the hole and find a pile of monsters. An archer always hits a creeper, who responds by turning around an exploding, taking out a bunch of my wall. Then they rush in, kill me, and send me to spawn, naked, during a Blood Moon. There I get killed again. Then I go back in creative mode, but not before getting hit by a poisonous infernal mob. I get all my stuff squared away, set it to day, then go to survival mode. The poison then kills me.

If I were playing some kind of Robinson Crusoe-esque survival game and not trying to learn tech and magic, it would be almost fun, but it's just driving me insane. I'm torn to just remove it, or go nuts and surround my base with grinders or some random defensive system that some mod probably has.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Blood Moons are The Devil. They always come up when I'm in the middle of working on a technical project. Then some skeleton shows up outside the base, firing rockets everywhere. It puts a hole near a door, and something starts beating me up while I'm at a crafting table. Then I go to the hole and find a pile of monsters. An archer always hits a creeper, who responds by turning around an exploding, taking out a bunch of my wall. Then they rush in, kill me, and send me to spawn, naked, during a Blood Moon. There I get killed again. Then I go back in creative mode, but not before getting hit by a poisonous infernal mob. I get all my stuff squared away, set it to day, then go to survival mode. The poison then kills me.

If I were playing some kind of Robinson Crusoe-esque survival game and not trying to learn tech and magic, it would be almost fun, but it's just driving me insane. I'm torn to just remove it, or go nuts and surround my base with grinders or some random defensive system that some mod probably has.

Dig a moat. 3 wide, 3 deep. Can fill it with spikes, punji sticks or grinders. Or use obsidian or hardened glass for your walls.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
/gamerule mobGriefing false perhaps.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Short of erecting quarry after quarry in the Twilight Forest, is there a good way to find atlarus?

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003

Hagop posted:

/gamerule mobGriefing false perhaps.

This and turning keepInventory on is something I do at the very beginning of every new world I made. I also remove Infernal Mobs and disable wither witches and cats in Ender Zoo. My life is way too short to gently caress around with crappy Minecraft combat.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

edgeman83 posted:

This and turning keepInventory on is something I do at the very beginning of every new world I made. I also remove Infernal Mobs and disable wither witches and cats in Ender Zoo. My life is way too short to gently caress around with crappy Minecraft combat.

Yeah I feel like I should do some of this stuff, but I think my most particular problem is with the skeletons that are show up during a Blood Moon that are firing rockets everywhere. I think I'll turn off mob griefing and get most of the relief I want.

I'm in a more exposed position in this game than normal because I could not know up front what I needed to do all the new stuff with which I'm experimenting (Ars Magica 2 and eventually Botania). So I have a walled-off fortress in a bay, where I'd normally be digging down with some modest surface structure, or I'd be crawling into a redwood.

holttho
May 21, 2007

I just have a quick mod question: what is the name of the mod that allows you to somehow click on an item and it shows you the crafting recipe for said item? I've seen the youtube PopularMMOs guy use it and it seems pretty slick; especially for mods with lots of new craftable items that I can never seem to find recipes for. Is it universal, or does it work with only a select set of mods?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

holttho posted:

I just have a quick mod question: what is the name of the mod that allows you to somehow click on an item and it shows you the crafting recipe for said item? I've seen the youtube PopularMMOs guy use it and it seems pretty slick; especially for mods with lots of new craftable items that I can never seem to find recipes for. Is it universal, or does it work with only a select set of mods?
I think that's Not Enough Items (NEI). You click the question mark next to the recipe while looking it up and it ghosts it onto your crafting table or whatever you're using.

holttho
May 21, 2007

Awesome, thanks.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
Also, if you shift-click the question mark, it will auto populate the crafting grid with items from your inventory.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Yeah I feel like I should do some of this stuff, but I think my most particular problem is with the skeletons that are show up during a Blood Moon that are firing rockets everywhere.

Those are from QuiverMob. It adds literally nothing but skeletons with rockets and other guns, so just go ahead and remove/disable that.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs

holttho posted:

To see the recipe for the item in the first place, hit R while mousing over it. Or hit U to see what an item is used for. :eng101:

bigperm posted:

Also, if you shift-click the question mark, it will auto populate the crafting grid with items from your inventory.

:stare: Why am I only now learning this?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Nastyman posted:

To see the recipe for the item in the first place, hit R while mousing over it. Or hit U to see what an item is used for. :eng101:

This combines with AE as well, making AE2's crafting terminal amazeballs.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Nastyman posted:

A lot of people have suffered this. Really, a button with a question mark is far from the right way to label that button. If it had a crafting table for an icon, you probably would have considered it within 10 exposures.

I started a new new new game to try out the hermit idea with the Random Things spectre dimension. The trick for ectoplasm is to find one of the many overworld dungeons and just bop away at the mobs. When a spirit appears, it will be contained in the dungeon so you can nail it.

I will also confirm tue vyroxenes as an early-game material does work quite well. You have to cast the portal, and make a netherreck pickaxe to get it. Then you have an obsidian-level tool and a matching armor kit from a very common resource.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

A lot of people have suffered this. Really, a button with a question mark is far from the right way to label that button. If it had a crafting table for an icon, you probably would have considered it within 10 exposures.

I started a new new new game to try out the hermit idea with the Random Things spectre dimension. The trick for ectoplasm is to find one of the many overworld dungeons and just bop away at the mobs. When a spirit appears, it will be contained in the dungeon so you can nail it.

I will also confirm tue vyroxenes as an early-game material does work quite well. You have to cast the portal, and make a netherreck pickaxe to get it. Then you have an obsidian-level tool and a matching armor kit from a very common resource.

which mod adds vyroxenese?

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Currently playing FTB Monster. Just wondering what the best way to go about making a remote controlled floodgate would be?

Basically, I want to be able to turn a lavafall on and off from about 100 blocks away, without a physical connection between the switch and gate. Are there any non-ridiculously-expensive or complicated ways to do that?

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

TheresaJayne posted:

which mod adds vyroxenese?

Metallurgy adds Vyroxerese. And speaking of which, I've found Ignatius to be completely useless as a Nether material and moved it to the overworld. Aside from being a shittier Shadow Iron that you can enchant a little better, it doesn't offer much at all considering Vyroxerese is so plentiful. Is there some corner-case use of it I'm missing, or is it just misplaced?

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs

Mr Scumbag posted:

Currently playing FTB Monster. Just wondering what the best way to go about making a remote controlled floodgate would be?

Basically, I want to be able to turn a lavafall on and off from about 100 blocks away, without a physical connection between the switch and gate. Are there any non-ridiculously-expensive or complicated ways to do that?

I don't know any mods that inherently lets you do this without some form of physical connection or wiring, but there's a pretty clever remote redstone signal mechanic in this video that might work for you. It even works across dimensions!

Aside from that, I think you should be able to get it working using tesseracts and gated bc pipes, but I don't know the specifics of that one.

Nastyman fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Feb 12, 2015

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Metallurgy adds Vyroxerese. And speaking of which, I've found Ignatius to be completely useless as a Nether material and moved it to the overworld. Aside from being a shittier Shadow Iron that you can enchant a little better, it doesn't offer much at all considering Vyroxerese is so plentiful. Is there some corner-case use of it I'm missing, or is it just misplaced?

Does the Ignatius dust work as fuel? I think it worked as fuel at one point.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It seems that nether biomes are not working in my Life in the Woods world. Is there an option that would enable them in biomes o plenty?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Oh boy, the Natural Magic modpack has the hard-mode Thaumcraft, with the puzzle to do research.

There's no way I can switch it to the non-puzzle version myself, is there? I think I can live if there isn't, the puzzles aren't actually too bad if you've got a cheat-sheet to know what the aspects are made of, but I'd just prefer not to have to fuss through it.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Oh boy, the Natural Magic modpack has the hard-mode Thaumcraft, with the puzzle to do research.

There's no way I can switch it to the non-puzzle version myself, is there? I think I can live if there isn't, the puzzles aren't actually too bad if you've got a cheat-sheet to know what the aspects are made of, but I'd just prefer not to have to fuss through it.

Isnt that just normal thaumcraft, where you have to know the elements and make the research.
Also they are easy to work out, also how to connect as unless they are prime elements you hover over and it shows the 2 elements its made of
so Alienis is Vacuous + Tenebrae, so will link to any other element with Vacuous or Tenebrae
so it will connect to Famis (Victus + Vacuous), or precantio (Vacuous + potentia) for example.

TheresaJayne fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Feb 12, 2015

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Look in the config folder for Thaumcraft.cfg. Scroll all the way down to the option I:research_difficulty and set it to -1. Hooray, you're in easy mode.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Sage Grimm posted:

Look in the config folder for Thaumcraft.cfg. Scroll all the way down to the option I:research_difficulty and set it to -1. Hooray, you're in easy mode.

Also in any game I play I give myself 1 of every aspect for research was with console commands. Voila, no stupid mixing via list and I can just scan poo poo.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Cleretic posted:

You mean the reasonable version of Thaumcraft where you have to put a bit of work but you'll actually have enough research to complete it?

Hah, I lie, the "reasonable" version of Thaumcraft would have no research.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Alright, so I think something happened when I made the world, because I just made a second copy of the same seed and it has a normal BOP nether, while my current one is just straight up vanilla nether. It's been a long-rear end time since I ever needed something of its ilk, but I recall there being a mod or program that let you edit and copy/paste areas and chunks from one save into another. Anyone know what I'm talking about, and is there a currently working version of it? I'd rather not lose my farm, orchard, home base, etc but want to use the same world.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I bet you could just copy the dimension folder for the Nether (look up the number in the Minecraft wiki) over to your original world and it should be good to go.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Yeah I suck at the spelling. I was typing that update on my phone right before bed. I'm also disappointed with Nether alloys. Overworld steel is very good, and you just don't get anything really similar from what I see until Quicksilver. It's pretty hard to pull out Mithril, let alone find it, so it's usually only worth it if you got a bunch while mining for something else.

Edit: I guess Ignatius dust can be used as a fuel. At least according to this spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApPr023YHYR0dEQ1X2JNOHgteUFRRGtFMlo0ZUQxN2c&usp=drive_web#gid=0

Heh, and apparently Midasium turns any dust into gold.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 12, 2015

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Cleretic posted:

As TheresaJayne said, the research table does show what aspects are made of when you mouse over them.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sage Grimm posted:

I bet you could just copy the dimension folder for the Nether (look up the number in the Minecraft wiki) over to your original world and it should be good to go.
gently caress. I think I accidentally made the world I've been using without actually having the BOP worldgen enabled, that's why. So there's no fixing it, I guess. I was fooled into thinking BOP was enabled in the overworld because of underground biomes, fruit trees, etc. spawning on Extreme Hills biomes and having the biomes be so huge I didn't really notice there weren't more than the standard ones. drat it. No world editing tool then, I take it?

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Captain Invictus posted:

gently caress. I think I accidentally made the world I've been using without actually having the BOP worldgen enabled, that's why. So there's no fixing it, I guess. I was fooled into thinking BOP was enabled in the overworld because of underground biomes, fruit trees, etc. spawning on Extreme Hills biomes and having the biomes be so huge I didn't really notice there weren't more than the standard ones. drat it. No world editing tool then, I take it?

You could probably use an NBT editing tool to enable BoP worldgen in your existing world and then new terrain from then on would use BoP biomes, but you'd almost certainly get the cliff-face discontinuities between old and new terrain.

(If you want to try it anyway, use something like NBTExplorer to open level.dat, open the Data node, and set the 'generatorName' value to BIOMESOP)

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Lizard Wizard posted:

As TheresaJayne said, the research table does show what aspects are made of when you mouse over them.

Only after you've gained a specific research. (Research Mastery, I believe.) It doesn't by default.

Alkydere posted:

You mean the reasonable version of Thaumcraft where you have to put a bit of work but you'll actually have enough research to complete it?

Hah, I lie, the "reasonable" version of Thaumcraft would have no research.

Actually, Azanor's been talking a lot about what TC for 1.8 will do, and he's been convinced to change the research system. Instead of having to scan everything and gather research points, each research will have it's own store of points, and if you don't use them all to complete the research you'll get a bonus for later, making it easier. Which is, well... a fuckton more sensible and less grindy. Still have the research puzzles but overall it won't be as aggravating.

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003

StealthArcher posted:

Also in any game I play I give myself 1 of every aspect for research was with console commands. Voila, no stupid mixing via list and I can just scan poo poo.

YES! I have never thought of doing that, but I totally will now. Like combat, doing the beginning parts of Thaumcraft is such a chore and not fun at all.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Serifina posted:

Only after you've gained a specific research. (Research Mastery, I believe.) It doesn't by default.

Yup, you need research mastery 1 to see the components of an element. Research Master 2 lets you shift+click to automatically make a research element. That being said they should be probably the first 2 things you research.

quote:

Actually, Azanor's been talking a lot about what TC for 1.8 will do, and he's been convinced to change the research system. Instead of having to scan everything and gather research points, each research will have it's own store of points, and if you don't use them all to complete the research you'll get a bonus for later, making it easier. Which is, well... a fuckton more sensible and less grindy. Still have the research puzzles but overall it won't be as aggravating.

That sounds amazing actually. Someone actually managed to pull Azanor's head out of his head long enough for him to realize that perhaps the research system is a bit obnoxious?

I'd really prefer there to be no research, or only have it for "forbidden" research, but anything to make it less "grindy" is at least a step forward.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
This whole thing with vyroxeres, among other updates in 1.7.10, has kind of changed my startup procedure. I figured I'd post a sketch of it to see if I could expedite something else or if somebody has a grossly different procedure. Instead of bumrushing for a digital miner, my first hour is something like:

1. Punch the nearest tree down.
  2. Make crafting table.
  3. Make a vanilla wooden ax.
  4. Make 4 vanilla wooden shovels.
  5. Make 1 vanilla wooden pick.
  6. Veinmine trees for wood.
  7. Use 1 of each shovel with veinminer on the following: sand, clay, gravel. Fourth is to smooth out enough that you can make enough grout for basic smeltery.
  8. Kill just about every non-hostile mob in sight for meat, wool, leather, whatever.
  9. Find an aboveground dungeon area and set up camp nearby.
  10. Set up initial Tonker's Construct tables inside a Hobbit hole in the camp. Make basic stone tools.
  11. Punch out mobs generated from dungeon spawners in overworld dungeon so long as they're not infernal and the sun's out. Goal is a spirit mob for ectoplasm.
  12. Make spectre key for the spectre pocket dimension. Start setting up nomad base in there.
  13. Make a TE tank from glass and copper, and fill it from surface lava somewhere.
  14. Cast a nether portal and jump in
  15. Make a netherrack pick.
  16. Knock out some vyroxeres.
  17. Start smeltery operation in spectre pocket dimension. Smelt vyroxeres for armor.
  18. Make a vyroxeres pick, vanilla-style.
  19. Start getting into the more sophisticated casting.
  20. Walk the Earth looking for that perfect place to put a base or . . .
  21. . . . just live out of the spectre pocket dimension, using compact machines to tuck away everything.

Somewhere in there is a progressive automation miner with increasing range upgrades, probably during the evenings.

Maiden
Mar 18, 2008

I don't like the progressive automation miner. If I could keep picks in it's internal inventory while it shoved everything it mined into a chest or whatever it would be great, but as it is, it's too much twaddling around to make sure it's full of dirt and has picks and whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Alkydere posted:

That sounds amazing actually. Someone actually managed to pull Azanor's head out of his head long enough for him to realize that perhaps the research system is a bit obnoxious?

I'd really prefer there to be no research, or only have it for "forbidden" research, but anything to make it less "grindy" is at least a step forward.

Between this, CV system, The changes to Warp (Believe me, its significantly less obnoxious now. Heck i think im going to have to force myself to warp out to get the second revelation!) and the nerfing of the eldritch guardians, whatever was influencing Azanor to turn TC into a multiplayer mod seems to have stopped.

• Locked thread