Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Yea you should get into hockey, photography, and cars. Why do I hate money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dale Meets Wall
Aug 17, 2004

Dale will always steer you in the RIGHT direction!
You forgot cooking. Ingredients can get pretty pricey after a while. I really need cheaper hobbies.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

From what I've been able to tell, there's no such thing as a cheap hobby.

Unless you really enjoy walks in the park or something.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

xzzy posted:

From what I've been able to tell, there's no such thing as a cheap hobby.

Unless you really enjoy walks in the park or something.

I think most hobbies are cheap. There are plenty that don't actually require equipment, tools, etc.. Even the aforementioned cooking is cheap unless you're consistency buying luxury ingredients. Baking is dirt cheap. It just tends to make you fat.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Fingers McGee posted:

Yea you should get into hockey, photography, and cars. Why do I hate money?

Hockey, cars, skiing, cameras, computers.

My wallet hates my hobbies.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Pond hockey tourney this Sunday. High of 4 degrees, low of -2...

:getin: :black101:

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Hockles posted:

And that's not counting the windchill you get from skating full speed. :stonklol: Wear a ski mask under your helmet, or by the end, your ears will feel like they could snap off of your head with a single flick.

prom candy posted:

Hobbies are really only fun if they have a super expensive gear fetishism component to go along with them. See you guys in the cycling/guitar megathreads and then later on in my own "i'm living under a mountain of gear-debt" Finance and Careers thread!
Once you have a set of equipment that fits, you really don't have to spend too much.

The sum total of new equipment i've bought in the last 10 years:

A glove whistle for coaching (these rule; so much better than using one on a lanyard)
Replacement sticks (the only thing that costs real money)
Replacement laces
Toe black
Replacement runners
Tape

On the list to buy:

Replacement holders because they're cracked through
A girdle to replace my pants now that more than one pad has to be taped into place

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Hockles posted:

Warmer than lake placid was!

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

prom candy posted:

Hobbies are really only fun if they have a super expensive gear fetishism component to go along with them. See you guys in the cycling/guitar megathreads and then later on in my own "i'm living under a mountain of gear-debt" Finance and Careers thread!

xzzy posted:

You should get into photography, too. :homebrew:

I'm basically going to sell one of my three drumsets to :airquote:finance:airquote: any hockey gear I may need down the line if I get into it anymore. But even then, yeah, there's a good couple of grand in cymbals/drums sitting in my dining room from what amounted to a 20+ year hobby. (bands, touring, recording, etc)
:negative:

Speaking of:

zinc68 posted:

If you're worried about bulkiness, just go with a girdle and shell. WAY more mobile and much lighter.

As someone who's never bought the kit for shapelier hips and thighs: what's the advantage/disadvantage to doing the pants vs. pads 'n' shell route?

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
^^I just crossed over to the girdle shell and like it a lot better. The girdle just seems to be less bulky and really stay in place around my body better and not need any kind of adjusting, pulling them up occasionally, that sort of thing. Its only been since Xmas but I really like the change so far. For reference I've been playing for over 25 years and this is my first girdle set up.

PFlats posted:

And that's not counting the windchill you get from skating full speed. :stonklol: Wear a ski mask under your helmet, or by the end, your ears will feel like they could snap off of your head with a single flick.
Once you have a set of equipment that fits, you really don't have to spend too much.

The sum total of new equipment i've bought in the last 10 years:

A glove whistle for coaching (these rule; so much better than using one on a lanyard)
Replacement sticks (the only thing that costs real money)
Replacement laces
Toe black
Replacement runners
Tape

On the list to buy:

Replacement holders because they're cracked through
A girdle to replace my pants now that more than one pad has to be taped into place

gently caress yeah on the glove whistle. For about 5 years I was an assistant coach on a high school team and there were times where I'd have to run practices as the only coach and the glove whistle was so much better than trying to gently caress around with one around my neck.

And to back you up further, you pretty much can get 5 to 10+ years out of any given piece of equipment so once you do get a full set you'll basically spend money on sticks, tape, sharpenings and laces with occasionally buying steal for your skates if you break a blade. I just recently got new pants, shell/girdle to replace my pants mentioned above, but I don't remember buying my last pair of pants so I figure I got my monies worth.

bigbillystyle fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 12, 2015

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

PFlats posted:

I'm a pond hockey veteran... I got this.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Anyone ever mess around with recording GoPro footage?

I'm thinking of getting one for vacation this summer and am thinking about what I could do with it with respect to hockey. I don't want to be one of those guys who mounts that poo poo on his helmet, then everyone tries to shoot pucks at. Wondering if it would stay attached if it was on the shaft of the stick or something? I really want footage of me staring down at the puck the whole time and occasionally tripping over the blue line.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1jpCBPiWS4

I've had one for a couple of years and it's doable with a decent enough mount :shrug: I mean, you can only get away with it during practice or stick n puck or whatever. In a game? nooooooo way.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Anyone ever mess around with recording GoPro footage?

I'm thinking of getting one for vacation this summer and am thinking about what I could do with it with respect to hockey. I don't want to be one of those guys who mounts that poo poo on his helmet, then everyone tries to shoot pucks at. Wondering if it would stay attached if it was on the shaft of the stick or something? I really want footage of me staring down at the puck the whole time and occasionally tripping over the blue line.

Talk to Brad. Or one of the other goalies who use them.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Duke Chin posted:

I've had one for a couple of years and it's doable with a decent enough mount :shrug: I mean, you can only get away with it during practice or stick n puck or whatever. In a game? nooooooo way.

Yeah, we aren't allowed to wear them during games. Closet we can get is doing a suction cup mount behind the glass. That's what a few of our goalies do. It's fun to stand behind the glass and have some ridiculous conversation with someone else right next to them.

I was just gonna dick around with it during stick time while I practice sick dangles.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Hockles posted:

I'm a pond hockey veteran... I got this.
Just makin' sure!

My high school team had 5AM practices on an outdoor rink, and every year, the upperclassmen would laugh at the dumbass freshmen who would inadvertently talk poo poo and refuse to wear ski masks/gloves/etc. Every year, within two weeks, they'd all quietly be converts.

edit:

Duke Chin posted:

Amerihealth Pavillon (the Devils' practice rink that's in the video; it's attached to the Prudential Center) is so fuckin' cool. Those shades you see in the background face south and are on a timer, so around sundown, they open up you get this ridiculous sunlight coming in. The glare is terrible but it's so goddamn beautiful that it feels worth it.

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Feb 12, 2015

xryokus
Aug 25, 2006
The world will change.

zinc68 posted:

If you're worried about bulkiness, just go with a girdle and shell. WAY more mobile and much lighter.

Unfortunately they aren't available for me here and shipping is nearly $100USD which makes any pants purchase from overseas way to expensive over all.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yeah, we aren't allowed to wear them during games. Closet we can get is doing a suction cup mount behind the glass. That's what a few of our goalies do. It's fun to stand behind the glass and have some ridiculous conversation with someone else right next to them.

I was just gonna dick around with it during stick time while I practice sick dangles.

Mount them inside the cross bar and take slappers at it. :v: Then post the destruction footage. Also make sure you're sporting the turgid sweaters.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
There was a dude on another team who wore a GoPro on top of his helmet for most of a beer league game a few weeks ago.

He fell over the blue line during the third, bounced his helmet off the ice, and smashed the camera mount right off.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I had some extra cash on a gift card and considered buying a gopro, plan would have been to suction the camera near the red line to record games, just so I could go back and watch how badly I play and find stuff to fix.

I never did it, but if I had such a camera that's what I'd do.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

bgreman posted:

He fell over the blue line during the third, bounced his helmet off the ice, and smashed the camera mount right off.

Yeah the plastic official gopro mounting segments are 100% overpriced cheap plastic crap. It's literally just $.05 mold-created bits that they charge around $10-30 a piece for. Never pay full price for any of their official poo poo - just order it for a deeeeeeeep discount from like Amazon or the like.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

xzzy posted:

I had some extra cash on a gift card and considered buying a gopro, plan would have been to suction the camera near the red line to record games, just so I could go back and watch how badly I play and find stuff to fix.

I set up my phone on a puck on the bench boards at uncrowded stick/pucks to do exactly this. Big help

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
My wife has a GoPro and I wore it playing at Bridgestone Arena one time but I was terrible then and basically just got footage of me falling a lot.

Regarding pants: if you fall a lot get expensive pants, if not, don't. I just got some Reebok 20k pants as a gift and their bulkiness is kinda driving me crazy.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

xzzy posted:

Given how cheap cameras are getting I'm hoping leagues just start recording games and posting them online. Although based on some league websites we'll have to wait about 15 years for them to catch up to the technology.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

prom candy posted:

Given how cheap cameras are getting I'm hoping leagues just start recording games and posting them online. Although based on some league websites we'll have to wait about 15 years for them to catch up to the technology.

Anything above zero dollars is too expensive for any rink I skate at. They'd turn off the electricity if they could get away with it.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

prom candy posted:

Oh god what the hell is that?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

prom candy posted:

That is seriously incredible. Here's my rink, Comic Sans and all.

Duke Chin posted:

Mount them inside the cross bar and take slappers at it. :v: Then post the destruction footage. Also make sure you're sporting the turgid sweaters.

Ha, I saw a Youtube video before where a dude did this and he ripped a slapper and drilled it. Unfortunately, I can't find it :(

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 12, 2015

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
yup,here's ours

please notice the name of the neighboring restaurant.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

There's actually a massive bar in that restaurant it's really weird because it's buried in the back

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
2 guys on my team were robbed last night. It's always lovely when that happens. I'm pretty sure we're going to be better about locking the door though.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

Nitramster posted:

yup,here's ours

please notice the name of the neighboring restaurant.

Is it too late to sign up for Stroking practice? I ask because this friend of mine...

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

Benson Cunningham posted:

2 guys on my team were robbed last night. It's always lovely when that happens. I'm pretty sure we're going to be better about locking the door though.

Think about getting renters insurance, mine covers this. I'm more worried about my hockey gear than my tv/computer/consoles.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I think he means they got robbed at the rink. Happens all the time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, renters insurance would probably cover it.

Renters insurance seems to cover everything for some reason. It's comically cheap for what it provides.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Nitramster posted:

Think about getting renters insurance, mine covers this. I'm more worried about my hockey gear than my tv/computer/consoles.

Wait, they got robbed in the locker room, not at home. Renter's insurance still covers that? Sorry if I wasn't clear. Pretty sure it was someone from the 13-16 year old team in the adjacent locker room but we can't prove anything.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I'd mention it. If it's the first time you're right: nothing will happen.

Maybe it's not the first time that team has been accused. Maybe the coach reads them the riot act and they don't do it again.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
A kid went through wallets in one of our locker rooms a few weeks ago while his dad was on the ice playing a game. This was a particularly stupid kid, as he and his buddy were literally counting the money in the car on the way home. Dad noticed and asked where they got the money and they were unable to convince him it was obtained honestly, so he put the clues together, turned around, went straight back to the rink. The teams they'd stolen from were just finishing their game, so dad caught them both as they were exiting the ice and explained what had happened to both of the capatains. He then made kid go into each locker room, tell each team what he'd done, apologize, and count out the money back to each of the guys they'd taken it from. The point of this story is that dad owned.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Beat the poo poo out of all of them then make them lick a white dog turd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0ZobeeBwGU

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I'm no expert or anything but I believe these situations outside of home are where renter's insurance applies i.e. if your car is broken into and something is stolen then you'd go through the renter policy rather than auto for those belongings.

Also yes, it is comically cheap. I pay about $11/mo, but bundling it together with my auto insurance gives me like a $10 discount so it's almost free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
So if you have renter's insurance you can be covered if someone, say, snatches your phone at a bar? What if you're not actually a renter?

I've never heard of this but it seems like a pretty good idea.