Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

There's the first story from the Eight Doctor adventures: Blood of the Daleks and then thereis his newest series that start with Dark Eyes 1-box set.

Both start with a new companion and are relatively new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Man sometimes I wish there was a separate Big Finish thread in the radio/podcast forum, would mean I could read this thread without skipping 90% of the posts. (I know, this is the bit where everyone tells me to listen to big finish, well I don't want to and you can't make me).

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Big Finish is hardly 90 percent of the thread. Even when there's nothing on TV it probably doesn't get beyond 30 percent or so.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

marktheando posted:

Man sometimes I wish there was a separate Big Finish thread in the radio/podcast forum, would mean I could read this thread without skipping 90% of the posts. (I know, this is the bit where everyone tells me to listen to big finish, well I don't want to and you can't make me).

How do you know you don't like spinach if you never try it?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

It is the off-season for Doctor who, so there isn't actually anything else to discuss.

Or we could gush about Colin Baker talking about Star Trek fan production he is on:

https://vimeo.com/118364208

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

marktheando posted:

if there was more to talk about right now I'd be more sympathetic but we're in the quiet bit where there isn't any news. unless you've broken into mugabes secret video vault or something

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Little_wh0re posted:

if there was more to talk about right now I'd be more sympathetic but we're in the quiet bit where there isn't any news. unless you've broken into mugabes secret video vault or something

Why would I need to break into my own video vault?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

marktheando posted:

This but for everything that isn't State of Decay and The Pyramids of Mars

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Well, I've put storm warning on my phone and my friend lives about 15-20 minutes walk away. Have a fun night thread!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
For the record…

The essentials :rock:
Storm Warning
The Chimes of Midnight
Seasons of Fear
Neverland

Decent :)
Sword of Orion
Invaders from Mars
Embrace the Darkness

Eh…:shrug:
The Stones of Venice
The Time of the Daleks
Zagreus

SUFFER WITH US! :psyduck:
Minuet in Hell

Or, you can jump to the Eighth Doctor Adventures. I haven’t gotten there yet (I have Council of Nicea for Five and then Terror Firma), but Human Resources is apparently a must listen.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

CobiWann posted:

Reserving this post for my audio review index.

Bumping this up. Where's your review list?

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

cargohills posted:

Remember that video showing off the average face of the Doctor? Well, there's one for the Master now too.

I know I'm not the only one wondering where MacQueen is.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Emerson Cod posted:

I know I'm not the only one wondering where MacQueen is.

He's in 4:49 in section called Faces for radio.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

adhuin posted:

Bumping this up. Where's your review list?

Somewhere in my "To Do" list between "beat Baldur's Gate", "beat Resident Evil REMaster", "working on my novel that's best described as a 'Christian John Constantine,'" and "gettting more than 4 hours of sleep a night."

There's something in there about spending time with the family too. I think that's near the bottom.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CobiWann posted:

Can I just say that, as horrible as The Horns of Nimon is, I enjoy the very last scene?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZB2vTF6Cwk

That little scrunched up pout :allears:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

MacQueen is pretty amazing. :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jerusalem posted:

That little scrunched up pout :allears:

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

adhuin posted:

He's in 4:49 in section called Faces for radio.

Ah nice, I had turned it off assuming that was it. Have they done one of these averaging out the companions of each Doctor?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pesky Splinter posted:

MacQueen is pretty amazing. :allears:

Does anyone else think he looks sort of like Grant Morrison?

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Does anyone else think he looks sort of like Grant Morrison?

Eerily so, yes...

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I'd kill to have Morrison involved in any aspect of the show (yes, I'm aware he did DW comics).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'd kill to have Morrison involved in any aspect of the show (yes, I'm aware he did DW comics).

Morrison and Charlie Brooker are the top of my dream Doctor Who writer list.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

I've listened to nearly all of storm warning and I think it is good. Why did I not get this earlier for my walk to work.

I really like the foley stuff. Though the dialogue does sometimes go a bit "let me walk over to the door while holding this pen"

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Little_wh0re posted:

I've listened to nearly all of storm warning and I think it is good. Why did I not get this earlier for my walk to work.

I really like the foley stuff. Though the dialogue does sometimes go a bit "let me walk over to the door while holding this pen"

The "doctor talking to himself" and "everyone narrating their actions" tones down a bit after a few audios.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Morrison and Charlie Brooker are the top of my dream Doctor Who writer list.

I thought I heard Brooker hated Doctor Who.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79XAEN9gAx0

Trigger warning: Fear Her Olympic Torch clip.

And he said in a Black Mirror interview that yes, he'd write for Who is they asked him.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Feb 13, 2015

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

qntm posted:

I thought I heard Brooker hated Doctor Who.

He absolutely loves Who. He's not fond of the mawkishness that's come in with the revival though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

He absolutely loves Who. He's not fond of the mawkishness that's come in with the revival though.

To be fair, he said that kind of thing more during the RTD years, and I think everyone here agreed with him at the time.

idoliside
Dec 8, 2010

MikeJF posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79XAEN9gAx0

Trigger warning: Fear Her Olympic Torch clip.

And he said in a Black Mirror interview that yes, he'd write for Who is they asked him.

If anything "Fifteen Million Merits" seems like the ideal episode for the Doctor to drop into.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

idoliside posted:

If anything "Fifteen Million Merits" seems like the ideal episode for the Doctor to drop into.

And gently caress up society for the better in, oh, one evening?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Doctor posted:

Mawkishness?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

CobiWann posted:

Mawkishness?

He likes the fact that Doctor Who actually has emotional content and personal drama now, but he does find the Tennant-Crying-In-The-Rain.gif excesses a bit OTT.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Speaking of emotional content, personal drama, and amnesia...

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/gallifrey-weekend---doctor-who---the-eighth-doctor-special-offer

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Yeah, he really likes the show. eg

Charlie Brooker posted:

All of which brings me to Doctor Who (Sat, 7.15pm, BBC1) - specifically, to episode one of the new series. Now, I've been effusive in my admiration of last year's series - effusive to the point of fellatio, you might say, if it were possible to fellate a television programme, which it isn't, not unless you take a printout of the scripts, furl them into a tube and mimic a blowjob on them, although the weirdness of your actions tends to overshadow your implied praise when you do something like that. Anyway, my anticipation gland was bursting as I settled down to watch the series opener - so you can guess what's coming next. It left me a bit ... well, a bit down.

For starters, there's a bit too much going on given the 45-minute running time: the plot revolves around shadowy goings-on in an intergalactic hospital, but there's also a lot of messing about with supporting characters who feel superfluous to the main storyline, diffusing your attention. It also makes a few jarring tonal shifts - leaping from high camp, to straight horror, to oleaginous sentimentality without warning. And David Tennant, trying to keep up with this, occasionally just ends up popping his eyes and shouting too much.

What I'm saying is it's a jumbled let-down. See what I'm doing here? I'm lowering your expectations. Not because I'm trying to trick you, but because I didn't think it was very good. And I bloody love Doctor Who. Sorry.

If I sound uncharacteristically mealy-mouthed in my criticism, it's because having a pop at Doctor Who actually pains me. In my head, it's come to represent everything that made Britain great - more so than, say, the foundation of the National Health Service. Or Marmite. Or the Sex Pistols. This means I'm mentally ill, obviously - but nonetheless, its 21st century reinvention has been a joy to behold, so when it farts out a bit of a dud, I'm not merely disappointed, I'm crushed - even though, at its very very worst, it's still 10,000 times better than 98% of the rest of the joyless Formica drizzleplop you get on the box.

But hey. Carping over. Now for the good news. All of this - the rush of anticipation, the slow guff of disappointment - all of this is all entirely in keeping with last year's premiere episode, which was also an overexcited manic sprawl of a thing, but turned out to be merely the slightly misfired opening salvo in a dazzlingly brilliant fun-for-all-the-family romp. And if NEXT week's episode is anything to go by, this year's going to be similar. Because next week's episode (also scripted by Russell T Davies) involves a much-publicised encounter with a werewolf guaranteed to make easily-spooked kiddy viewers crap their own spines through their bumholes. It's flipping great (as are Tennant and Piper).

In summary, then, your instructions are as follows: watch with a forgiving eye, because the predictive chart I'm preparing indicates a steep upturn in quality from hereon in. Hooray and phew for that.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Girl Who Never Was is a very confusing story to listen to on a crowded train where everyone is grumpy and frozen and the driver is yelling.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Bicyclops posted:

The Girl Who Never Was is a very confusing story to listen to on a crowded train where everyone is grumpy and frozen and the driver is yelling.

You've pulled ahead of me again, you bastard! :argh: I'm still on 100.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

After The War posted:

You've pulled ahead of me again, you bastard! :argh: I'm still on 100.

You'll catch up! The Companion Chronicles, EDAs and Dalek War are slowing me down.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

...Crap, what do the bundles normally go for? I feel like £23 for series 1 isn't much less than normal, but for series 4 it's a good buy...?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Subscription prices for seasons didn't get lowered and they're 40e for season 1 VS 23e for bundle of same season 1. Season 4 is 80e VS 28e for same bundle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

After finishing Storm warning and enjoying it a lot i'v picked up... errr The Marian Conspiricy, The Holy Terror, Colditz, Chimes of Midnight, Seasons of Fear and Ish

• Locked thread