Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Probably a dumb question, but, what is the movement I'm making with my touchpad that causes the Windows 8 charms or whatever bar to slide into view? (The right sidebar and the clock that pops up.) I've always just installed Classic Start Menu, so I never learned to use Metro. This thing just appears randomly and I can't figure out how it's being summoned or how to stop it from ever showing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

doctorfrog posted:

Probably a dumb question, but, what is the movement I'm making with my touchpad that causes the Windows 8 charms or whatever bar to slide into view? (The right sidebar and the clock that pops up.) I've always just installed Classic Start Menu, so I never learned to use Metro. This thing just appears randomly and I can't figure out how it's being summoned or how to stop it from ever showing.

Probably have the mouse close to the bottom right of the screen, that's the incantation that summons the demon.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

doctorfrog posted:

^ and if you need to disable it, there should be something about edge swipes somewhere in your trackpad settings (or sometimes under mouse settings even if you use trackpad).

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

doctorfrog posted:

Touch: Swipe in from outside the right edge of the screen.

Mouse: Swipe toward middle of right edge from either right corner.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Even if real edge swipes are disabled in the touchpad driver, Windows still interprets the following as edge swipes that conjure up the charms bar:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Look at that sexy desktop, laying on it's back flexing it's muscles.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Medullah posted:

Look at that sexy desktop, laying on it's back flexing it's muscles.

That's all I can see now.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Thank you! What an unnecessary feature for a touchpad PC, I guess they're trying to tell me what I'm missing when not using the touch screen.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Is there an app where you set it to watch a file, it changes things based on regex and then outputs to a new file continuously? Basically I want to take log output and change the format slightly

Edit: I could probably do it with PowerShell maybe..

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Anybody else using the windows 10 tech preview? I've had some good luck avoiding crashes and bugs, and some of the new features are boss. If there's s good enough following I'll start a new thread but if not we can just discuss shouting 'Hey Cortana' at our laptops here

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Anybody else using the windows 10 tech preview? I've had some good luck avoiding crashes and bugs, and some of the new features are boss. If there's s good enough following I'll start a new thread but if not we can just discuss shouting 'Hey Cortana' at our laptops here

I wouldn't mind a thread for it; I'm surprised there isn't one already. I've been using it for a few months without problems, but I haven't been making much use of any new features. It'd be nice to hear how other people are using it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'm using it but Cortana isn't available in my country so gently caress you.

It's been really stable though, barring a few quirks with Office and the admin tools.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'd like to see a win 10 thread. I've been enjoying it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Make one. I've been running it as my main OS for a week or so and I like it a lot.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I'm working on the op now see you guys there

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Hey are there any alternatives to Silverlight out there for an end user? That thing is a pile of poo poo and it's stopping me from being able to watch TV on my computer.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Microsoft announced they were stopping development of Silverlight about 18 months ago, there was an open source project for it prior to that but the only guy that will touch it with a 10' pole is our CI guy at work.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Hadlock posted:

Microsoft announced they were stopping development of Silverlight about 18 months ago, there was an open source project for it prior to that but the only guy that will touch it with a 10' pole is our CI guy at work.

Yeah, I figured I am screwed. It would make life so much easier during baseball season, but I guess I'll always have TunnelBear.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Is Netflix geared up to use something other than Silverlight, then? Or are they just running Silverlight on PCs until set top boxes get the saturation they're looking for?

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I've just built my first PC and I'm back on Windows after over 10 years of Mac. So far so good, I'm just experiencing a problem: My microphone, an LD Systems D1013, is supposed to work by just plugging it in, but it's not working on either my or my brother's PC, but it's working on my Mac. Even when uninstalling the driver in Device Manager,, I keep getting Error Code 10. I read somewhere that the mic is having some troubles with Intel chipsets, could that be it? And how do I fix it?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

doctorfrog posted:

Is Netflix geared up to use something other than Silverlight, then? Or are they just running Silverlight on PCs until set top boxes get the saturation they're looking for?

They're moving to HTML5.

For some more detail:
http://www.zdnet.com/article/netflix-goes-html5-for-laptop-streaming/
and
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/23742

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Silverlight, Flash and anything that needs Java can't go away fast enough.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

What's with these video streams that won't work in Firefox? So far I've seen Netflix HTML5 and Steam Broadcasting that won't.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

m2pt5 posted:

What's with these video streams that won't work in Firefox? So far I've seen Netflix HTML5 and Steam Broadcasting that won't.

That's what happens when you stray from plugins that every browser can use and use standards that aren't finished yet, and browser-specific functionality.

In the case of Netflix though, Firefox put up a fight about not putting the Encrypted Media Extension DRM in the browser, which Netflix was required to use to please content creators, so you're stuck with the legacy system.

John Capslocke fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 13, 2015

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

37th Chamber posted:

That's what happens when you stray from plugins that every browser can use and use standards that aren't finished yet, and browser-specific functionality.

In the case of Netflix though, Firefox put up a fight about not putting the Encrypted Media Extension DRM in the browser, which Netflix was required to use to please content creators, so you're stuck with the legacy system.

Is that true with the encrypted (?) YouTube videos as well? They all seem to crash in Firefox for me and I have to load up Chrome if I want to watch them.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
It looks like they were working on getting some sort of EME into Firefox, so these things could work. I found this, but it doesn't seem to be implemented yet.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Ariza posted:

Is that true with the encrypted (?) YouTube videos as well? They all seem to crash in Firefox for me and I have to load up Chrome if I want to watch them.

Unless it has changed, rented/bought movies are still forced to use Flash and therefore, Adobe Access DRM. I just tried a purchased video in Firefox and it worked fine, might be a problem with your Firefox/Flash install.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

GreenNight posted:

Silverlight, Flash and anything that needs Java can't go away fast enough.

HTML5 + h.264 effectively killed Silverlight + Flash

It has yet to be seen but the core of the .net "engine" or CLR was open sourced in the last month and has the potential to kill non-graphical Java, as well. Minecraft is supposedly developing their own alternative version of Java and Android finally ditched their Dalvik (java clone) engine for a "mostly java, but without fear of legal repercussions from Oracle" engine. Other than Minecraft I haven't had to install the JRE in a couple of years now.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Hadlock posted:

Android finally ditched their Dalvik (java clone) engine for a "mostly java, but without fear of legal repercussions from Oracle" engine.

This didn't change the language used to program dude.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but in Win7 how in the gently caress do I get rid of Google Update?

quote:

Uninstall

Google Update can't be removed by itself. If you remove Google Update processes from your computer, you may find that your Google programs no long function properly and, in many cases, you may see Google Update return automatically.

To fully uninstall Google Update, uninstall any Google applications you currently have installed. Approximately an hour after uninstalling your other Google programs, Google Update should be uninstalled automatically.

I do not have any Google software installed anymore, but I want to make sure I have a clean uninstall of this stuff. This "approximately one hour" line is horseshit.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

68k posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but in Win7 how in the gently caress do I get rid of Google Update?

I do not have any Google software installed anymore, but I want to make sure I have a clean uninstall of this stuff. This "approximately one hour" line is horseshit.

Not even Chrome?

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

AlexDeGruven posted:

Not even Chrome?
Or Earth, Picasa, Drive, Play Music uploader, Firefox/IE toolbar or any other Google Windows applications?

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

AlexDeGruven posted:

Not even Chrome?

Fart of Presto posted:

Or Earth, Picasa, Drive, Play Music uploader, Firefox/IE toolbar or any other Google Windows applications?

No, at least not that I can tell. No Google services are listed anymore in the programs list, and I do not have any browser plug-ins/extensions from Google, either. I thought the problem might be that I killed the Google Update service from starting with Windows a while ago, but I tried restarting it to see if this magical automatic uninstall of a folder from Program Files would occur, but it has not seemed to work. I guess I'm going to have to do some searching in the registry to remove it properly.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Well before you do that, there's probably at least one scheduled task for google updater. You can see what programs any google related tasks are running, delete the task, and then delete the program. Probably %localappdata%\google\update\googleupdate.exe.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

37th Chamber posted:

Unless it has changed, rented/bought movies are still forced to use Flash and therefore, Adobe Access DRM. I just tried a purchased video in Firefox and it worked fine, might be a problem with your Firefox/Flash install.

I meant more the Vevo videos. YouTube in Firefox always decides it's just going to crash for a few days and then it'll work again. It's been doing it for years for me and I can't be assed to try to fix it when it works in the other browsers just fine. I've wiped them both completely and reinstalled and it still randomly happens. I know it happens to other people too.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Two weeks ago I could download an ISO for Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit so I could perform formats and installs on the parents laptops.

Now Microsoft removed it from their website because reasons, I guess?

Does anybody know of any place I can get this ISO? The software recovery website doesn't work in this case because the laptop had Windows installed from the factory.

EDIT: Is this a :filez: question? I wouldn't think so since Microsoft offered the file up until recently.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

iSheep posted:

Two weeks ago I could download an ISO for Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit so I could perform formats and installs on the parents laptops.

Now Microsoft removed it from their website because reasons, I guess?

Does anybody know of any place I can get this ISO? The software recovery website doesn't work in this case because the laptop had Windows installed from the factory.

What's the reason you were using 32 bit? The 64 bit ISOs are still up at the same location, and should probably be used unless the devices really are too old to have 64 bit compatible CPUs.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Nintendo Kid posted:

What's the reason you were using 32 bit? The 64 bit ISOs are still up at the same location, and should probably be used unless the devices really are too old to have 64 bit compatible CPUs.

Would the key for 32 bit work on 64 bit?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

iSheep posted:

Would the key for 32 bit work on 64 bit?

Yes, with Windows Vista and up the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of the OS use the same key, it's only XP where the "64 bit" versions required different keys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yes, with Windows Vista and up the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of the OS use the same key, it's only XP where the "64 bit" versions required different keys.

Awesome, I'm a bit flustered with all this at the moment, do you have a link for the 64 bit version?