Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

be nice wicka posted:

again, the worth of these sponsorship deals is more or less public information, with the exception of infiniti's deal, which seems to have been reported by no one. exxonmobil pays mclaren 35m USD/22m GBP. petronas pays mercedes 30m EUR, which is conveniently also 22m GBP. so what do you mean by "he can't get one that'll pay what he laughably considers he's worth" when they have non-title sponsors paying as much as other teams' title sponsors?

pretend it's not mclaren. pretend it's team principal john bennis of team macleod, owned by that highlander guy. would you still just refuse to believe facts for no reason

The fact is McLaren are poo poo, their drivers are frauds and they are run by an autistic homo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

track day bro! posted:

The fact is McLaren are poo poo, their drivers are frauds and they are run by an autistic homo.

yes, no, no

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
"let me just say some dumb rear end poo poo and see if wicka will defend it on an internet forum for some reason"

-- ran dennis, MacLaren

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

simplefish posted:

yes, no, no

You'll see once the season starts and Button develops his car setup to understeer him off the track. Que him constantly bitching on the radio about the front end being terrible and wanting to kill himself. Alonso will supposedly get 110% out of the lovely car without getting any meaningful results and start making snide comments about the team and their autistic leader Ron 'the spergman' Dennis.

While all this happens Ferrari will be racking up the wins with Sebastian Vettel who wins his 5th glorious wdc and we all get to see the glorious finger ftw.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

be nice wicka posted:

again, the worth of these sponsorship deals is more or less public information, with the exception of infiniti's deal, which seems to have been reported by no one. exxonmobil pays mclaren 35m USD/22m GBP. petronas pays mercedes 30m EUR, which is conveniently also 22m GBP. so what do you mean by "he can't get one that'll pay what he laughably considers he's worth" when they have non-title sponsors paying as much as other teams' title sponsors?

pretend it's not mclaren. pretend it's team principal john bennis of team macleod, owned by that highlander guy. would you still just refuse to believe facts for no reason

You're literally proving my point.

There ARE title sponsors, Petronas for instance.

Ron's wrong, they clearly exist. He just somehow thinks his team that hasn't won the constructors title in getting on for 20 years is worth more than the team that just walked it last year and will almost certainly do so again this year.

I would think the same if Lotus complained title sponsors didn't exist but were asking for more than McLaren for it.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Dudley posted:

You're literally proving my point.

There ARE title sponsors, Petronas for instance.

Ron's wrong, they clearly exist. He just somehow thinks his team that hasn't won the constructors title in getting on for 20 years is worth more than the team that just walked it last year and will almost certainly do so again this year.

this is like saying that since F1 cars still exist that they are exactly the same as they were in 1950

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

In that both statements contain words that are in the dictionary yes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The fact that Johnnie Walker pays poo poo tons of money to put little stickers on the wing mirrors doesn't mean McLaren is worth it. Companies have gone to McLaren and said "This is what we think being your title sponsor is worth." Ron Dennis said "No, you should pay half our budget." All those companies laughed in his face and now he's saying he don't need no man and he can do bad all by himself. McLaren is a poo poo team that isn't worth what Ron Dennis thinks it is. The fact that he tricked some people to pay him lots of money for nothing doesn't change that.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

The fact that he tricked some people to pay him lots of money for nothing doesn't change that.

it quite literally does

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.
I have no idea what this silly argument is about. But one thing is for certain, Ron Dennis is right again. He's always right.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Title my rear end.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

i wish i could say ron dennis is "right" but unfortunately he hasn't said anything that anyone else wouldn't have been able to notice on their own. it's only a news story because Man Who Runs Team Without Title Sponsor said it. if hefe posted the same thing the responses would just be "yeah, duh," seeing as how the decrease in sponsorship money in F1 is extremely obvious.

wicka fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 12, 2015

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Are any teams good?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

like i know this is an awful thread and everything but dudley your posts read like copy/pastes from reddit and your refusal to even grasp what is being discussed is childlike

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Norns posted:

Are any teams good?

I think thread consensus is Williams are possibly good again?

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.
Is Haas pronounced like "harse" or "has"?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Brainwrong posted:

Is Haas pronounced like "harse" or "has"?

horse

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

track day bro! posted:

"We've had maybe the worst two years since the start of the Project Four era and we look like poo poo in testing. Please pay our team 69 billion dollars to have a sidepod logo" - Ron "Massive fraud idiot" Dennis

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Come to think of it I think Ron is right that paying lots of money to sponsor McLaren is an outdated idea.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Johnny Walker decided it was cheaper to be a sponsor to the whole of F1 than pay McLaren the money Ron wants.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Riso posted:

Johnny Walker decided it was cheaper to be a sponsor to the whole of F1 than pay McLaren the money Ron wants.

and yet in addition to that they are still paying mclaren more than martini are paying williams

remind me again how it is not objective fact that title sponsorships as they once existed are no longer a concept

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

be nice wicka posted:

and yet in addition to that they are still paying mclaren more than martini are paying williams

remind me again how it is not objective fact that title sponsorships as they once existed are no longer a concept

Well I think they're still a concept, but they're certainly not as necessary as they once were.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

(W)Ron(g) Dennis

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

be nice wicka posted:

like i know this is an awful thread and everything but dudley your posts read like copy/pastes from reddit and your refusal to even grasp what is being discussed is childlike

As we can tell from literally everyone else being confused by what the gently caress you're going on about. Again.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
how long till melbourne?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tsaedje posted:

I think thread consensus is Williams are possibly good again?

The feel good story of 2014.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

"We've had maybe the worst two years since the start of the Project Four era and we look like poo poo in testing. Please pay our team 69 billion dollars to have a sidepod logo" - Ron "Massive fraud idiot" Dennis

'80 was pretty bad. But even then they had sponsors.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

'80 was pretty bad.

When did P4 takeover the team, '81?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

Yeah your right....Mayer still ran the team in 1980 I forgot.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Dudley posted:

As we can tell from literally everyone else being confused by what the gently caress you're going on about. Again.

not being a contrarian about everything dennis says is confusing?

title sponsors existed because they paid more than other sponsors and thus got the extra benefit of being in the name of the team. if they're not paying more than other sponsors, why would you give them the title? that's just poor business. you're undermining all your current sponsors by doing that.

again, these numbers are (mostly) publicly available, there's not another side to this argument. it's clear how much title sponsors were once paying and it's clear that amount is no longer on offer, to any team, not just mclaren. hell, if mclaren is unique in this it's because the few sponsorship deals they do have are generally more lucrative than their competitors. so claiming that this issue is about no one valuing mclaren because they're poo poo is objectively false.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Human Grand Prix posted:

The feel good story of 2014.

Give it a day. I'm sure people will call them talentless assclowns soon.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

krushgroove posted:

At least it's not as extreme as the TV rights for Premiere League football - £10mil PER GAME going to the Football Association, I have no idea how the broadcasters will even make money at that price. And the FA has the same problems with lower league teams that FOM does with distributing money to lower teams, but it's multiplied by dozens (hundreds?) of small teams.

The FA doesn't have the same problem - because the money isn't going to the FA, it's going to the Premier League which is a separate organisation.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Alain Post posted:

Is there a story behind this, I mean obviously there is but is there a link that can exlplain why all their cars are called P4 without me having to watch 9000 seasons of f1 which I will forget about because I literaly cant remember who won the wdc last season (I bet it was some fraud)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

track day bro! posted:

Is there a story behind this, I mean obviously there is but is there a link that can exlplain why all their cars are called P4 without me having to watch 9000 seasons of f1 which I will forget about because I literaly cant remember who won the wdc last season (I bet it was some fraud)

if I remember right Project Four was Ron Dennis's racing team which raced in F2/F3. When they basically took over McLaren in 1981 they added MP4 (which either stands for McLaren/Project Four or Marlboro/Project Four depending on who you ask) to the car names.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm looking it up and in 1976 Project Four ran with a team including Eddie Cheever, Jochen Mass, Vittorio Brambilla, and Gilles Villeneuve. Phwoar that's a team

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Alain Post posted:

Project Four
What a boring autistic name for a racing team.

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

Smarter than the average Blair.
I've always kind of wanted to know what Projects One, Two and Three were.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Ilanin posted:

I've always kind of wanted to know what Projects One, Two and Three were.

1. Rondel Racing
2. Ortega Ecuador Marlboro Team
3. literally called Project Three

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

if I remember right Project Four was Ron Dennis's racing team which raced in F2/F3. When they basically took over McLaren in 1981 they added MP4 (which either stands for McLaren/Project Four or Marlboro/Project Four depending on who you ask) to the car names.

What happened to Mayer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

be nice wicka posted:

not being a contrarian about everything dennis says is confusing?

title sponsors existed because they paid more than other sponsors and thus got the extra benefit of being in the name of the team. if they're not paying more than other sponsors, why would you give them the title? that's just poor business. you're undermining all your current sponsors by doing that.

again, these numbers are (mostly) publicly available, there's not another side to this argument. it's clear how much title sponsors were once paying and it's clear that amount is no longer on offer, to any team, not just mclaren. hell, if mclaren is unique in this it's because the few sponsorship deals they do have are generally more lucrative than their competitors. so claiming that this issue is about no one valuing mclaren because they're poo poo is objectively false.

Ron Dennis thinks he deserves lots of money for a title sponsor because Johnnie Walker forgot to turn off their allotment to Mclaren.

• Locked thread