Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
Apparently the B and C NASCAR open series are now half length races that will follow the real life schedule in one long, yearly season. The races will still run every two hours. Fixed series are unchanged. [source]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Huh.

Still holding their status as the ultimate SR grind.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
Ooph VIR is still kicking my rear end. I feel like Oak Tree is the only corner that I don't gently caress up on a regular basis. Hopefully now that I've got my qual lap in, I can find some consistency, because right now I am dreading the idea of a race distance.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
I got my triple screens working. :pcgaming:

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Harveygod posted:

I got my triple screens working. :pcgaming:

One of us
One of us
One of us

My monitor mounts should be arriving tomorrow so I can put my screens at the right height. My temporary setup has the side screens on tv trays, and my center monitor has to be boosted up with a Pete Townsend hardcover in order for all three to line up right now.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Monitors mounts are for suckers - my center screen is tall enough, my left screen is sitting on a copy of Robin McKinley's Sunshine and my right screen is on John Beardsley's Gardens of Revelation.

Spend less on your rig and more on content, slacker. :)

e: Through an unrepeatable sequence of events, I just won a Late Model @ Bristol race by 3 laps. There'll be better wins than that, but probably none by a bigger margin. The key to my success? If everyone is going to wreck, wreck early and wreck gently. That way you have time to run them down before they wreck.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

...but I want to read my Pete Townsend book :confused:

The mounts will let my keyboard sit flat instead of half laying on my center monitor stand, should make my whole rig more stable especially once I Velcro the monitor edges together, and will get those stupid tv trays out of the way. Besides, I still can't drive fast with plenty of the content I already have :v

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
GT2 wheel repaired. While taking it apart, GODDAMN does Fanatec use too many parts. Now I don't have to worry about my wheel suddenly going straight out of nowhere while in the middle of a turn. Now to try my hand at the Star Mazdas on Road America and I'm running 2:08's consistently, but I can't seem to get more top end speed without losing the ability to corner. Suggestions? Or are there any guides for the Star Mazda? So many options...

Well great, anyone get the problem where you go to join a session, and the loader comes up, but nothing happens and it stops responding? In the past I've had to re-install but there's gotta be an easier way to deal with it.

Ringo Star Get fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 12, 2015

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcULOGC4Jqg

I felt like crashing after practicing a bit and then this happened. I had to unplug my wheel and it kept going until iRacing eventually crashed. :ohdear:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Torabi posted:

I felt like crashing after practicing a bit and then this happened. I had to unplug my wheel and it kept going until iRacing eventually crashed. :ohdear:

DW12 crashes are the best crashes because everytime it hits the ground, no momentum is removed so it crashes forever until it either hits another car/wall or the sim crashes

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Torabi posted:

Think that's gonna need more then a Sawzall.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

That's what happens when you put Flubber in the gas tank...

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Open-wheel crashes in iRacing are the best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxBKDUNBsFo

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
Ah yes, you've discovered iRacing's accurate DW12 physics to simulate the unstoppable spinning vortex of death.

See also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVRQX_kabe8

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

L_Harrison posted:

Ah yes, you've discovered iRacing's accurate DW12 physics to simulate the unstoppable spinning vortex of death.

See also:

I've seen that happen in real life, its rare but does happen.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Was doing great in a skippy race. But then all of a sudden Mr. Bentai started watching me.. judging me. Needless to say I ended up with 11x. But my SR still went up so that's a victory.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Torabi posted:

Was doing great in a skippy race. But then all of a sudden Mr. Bentai started watching me.. judging me. Needless to say I ended up with 11x. But my SR still went up so that's a victory.

ghost chief strikes again

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Torabi posted:

But then all of a sudden Mr. Bentai started watching me.. judging me.

Goon spectatorship is a good way to ensure failure.

Also, Road Atlanta in Grand Touring (Mustang/Jetta/Slowstice) is really loving fun, even though I can't manage a lap below a 1:36 in the Mustang and the fast guys are qualifying in the 1:34s. Hell, my optimal is still a high 1:35. There's clearly a much faster way through turn 5 than I can manage 99% of the time, that's where anyone running similar-or-better lap times really seems to drop me.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

IOwnCalculus posted:

Goon...is a good way to ensure failure.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

It is not a great feeling to have literally everyone that's qualified better than you be on the grid. It is also not a great feeling to get tagged and spun before you even get to T1 :suicide:

It was pretty sweet rebounding to finish where I started though :dance:

Looking at the lap times, the whole thing probably only cost me one spot, considering I lost about 1 second a lap to the wing damage I got. And now I can say that I've done a race at VIR wooooo

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

IOwnCalculus posted:

Goon spectatorship is a good way to ensure failure.

Can anyone spectate any official race? Do we have to own content to spectate?

IOwnCalculus posted:

Also, Road Atlanta in Grand Touring (Mustang/Jetta/Slowstice) is really loving fun, even though I can't manage a lap below a 1:36 in the Mustang and the fast guys are qualifying in the 1:34s. Hell, my optimal is still a high 1:35. There's clearly a much faster way through turn 5 than I can manage 99% of the time, that's where anyone running similar-or-better lap times really seems to drop me.

Grand Touring is really great. Some of the tracks are timed in such a way that you catch Jettas near the end. Leveling the field somewhat.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Ziploc posted:

You still need to own the content, which is loving stupid if you ask me. If they would let you download the content and then spectate I'm sure they would get a lot more people buying content. I would personally love to watch some of the higher end road races and see what it is like.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Apparently I am hilarious to spectate :shobon:

I'm going to open a Youtube channel called "mc fruit stripe never, ever shuts the hell up"

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 14, 2015

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

Ziploc posted:

You need to own the track and at least one of the cars. You don't have to own all of the cars anymore (there was once a time when you did).

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Ziploc posted:

Grand Touring is really great. Some of the tracks are timed in such a way that you catch Jettas near the end. Leveling the field somewhat.

I love Grand Touring cup but the Solstice is starting to bore me now (especially on longer tracks; Montreal dragged on forever) and the last time I tried doing the Mustang I hated it.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Torabi posted:

You still need to own the content, which is loving stupid if you ask me. If they would let you download the content and then spectate I'm sure they would get a lot more people buying content. I would personally love to watch some of the higher end road races and see what it is like.
It's easy to take shots at series like GT3 or WSCS because the lower splits tend to be pretty wild, but truth is, the guys at the front are killin it.

If you haven't, check out Empty Box's youtube channel, you can find lots of combos there. He has a lot of GT3 content this season.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I'd love to do the RUF season since I've been working with the Star Mazda. It's gotten ridiculously complicated, to the point where other people are complaining about it and moving on.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Just finished my first ever race. Got 4th place and avoided every crash. Then someone rammed into me full speed after checkered. I think I did ok.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Ringo Star Get posted:

I'd love to do the RUF season since I've been working with the Star Mazda. It's gotten ridiculously complicated, to the point where other people are complaining about it and moving on.
Complicated because of qualifying before every race? I definitely am not wild about that - I like to set a qualifying time early in the week if I'm any good, skip it if not, and then just get in and go.

Hell I don't even like the 10 minutes of warmup for WSCS. Warmup? Yeah that's called "I practiced before I joined", let's do this.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

I just wore myself out trying to keep up with the point leader at VIR. Running 26 qualifying pace laps there has my hands literally shaking now. drat that was fun.

He still beat me by a second :(

Lord Crapulus fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 15, 2015

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

Yup, there's always that one guy

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Yup, there's always that one guy

There was a guy in one of my bottom split Skippy races with a 800ish iRating that ran high 1:21s to low 1:22s in warmup on Summit Point. :confused:

He would have easily won the race if he hadn't have been totally knocked out by some idiot. I found it weird his iRating was so low.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Him being knocked out is why his irating is so low. You can be as fast as you want but you need accident avoidance spills in bottom splits.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

There are more than a few guys that intentionally tank their iRating so they can win division championships too.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
league practice up for gooncar actual race same time as always hope ya'll show up even though it's not a free track :V

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Lord Crapulus posted:

There are more than a few guys that intentionally tank their iRating so they can win division championships too.
Yeah I'm always a little surprised when I see people's bios and they're like "division 3 Midwest champion", I'm like, soooo you finished 175th overall then?

There's one champion, everyone else is not, harumph.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Yeah I'm always a little surprised when I see people's bios and they're like "division 3 Midwest champion", I'm like, soooo you finished 175th overall then?

There's one champion, everyone else is not, harumph.

:agreed:

In relevant news, I ran two races today in the Skippy @ Summit Point. The first was the usual letdown where I was avoiding a dude sliding around on T1 and got plowed into from the back. Then I had to limp it all the way around to the pits then I had a good race from then on out, but still only finished 11th.

On the second race, I won! :woop: My second Road win!

Okay, okay, so the SOF was only 667 and there was a dude in that race with an irating in the 300s, but gently caress you I ran it completely clean and while I was a touch slower than P2, once I capitalized on his mistake, he kept trying to get too aggressive to catch me and made more mistakes.

If anyone is interested I've been feeling compelled to write a Shitters Journal about what it's like to learn racing in an almost vacuum. I honestly think I've learned a lot over the last few months.

EDIT: There was this B-Class dude in the race that you could tell thought that he should have just been handed the race. He braked way too deeply on most corners, locking them up constantly and tried to dive-bomb everyone he saw, though he didn't have the chops to make it stick. I watched him in the replay and it was kind of pathetic.

Overwined fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 16, 2015

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

What's going on this week? 2015 Season 1, Week 10

It's Daytona 500 Week!

All of the big stock cars (C/B/A) are at Daytona. It's also week one of the NASCAR iRacing Series. Come do another 200 laps to follow up the 24 hours! No bus stop required!

The usual suspects
  • Rookies - Laguna Seca and USA
  • Skip Barber - Road America
  • Star Mazda (C) - Mosport
  • GT3 (B) - Oran Park (!!)
  • NASCAR C trucks - Daytona
  • Indy oval (C) - Gateway oval
Don't overlook
  • V8 Supercars at Phillip Island - Probably the second best place to run V8s
  • Late Models at Gateway - I haven't run much Late Model, but this seems like a brilliant combo
  • Street Stock Class C at USA - Relive your glorious rookie days without the pesky rookies

Upcoming Events

Daytona 500
Open times - Wednesday 9pm EST, Friday 9pm EST, Sunday 10am EST
Fixed times - Thursday 9pm EST, Saturday 5am EST, Saturday noon EST, Sunday 9pm EST

Road Warrior
Five weeks until Sebring 12 hour in HPDs and GT3 cars

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I'm unreasonably excited about the 500. I'm going to give the open series a shot this year. I've spent a couple of hours this week building a plate setup. I should probably run some A open races early this week as a dry run.

Anyone else running the 500? I'll definitely share my setup if people help me practice with it a bit. No promises on its quality since I am new to this whole oval setup and telemetry thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

I got my 8th race done this season with the Spec Racer Ford, so I get my 4 bucks for participation and I never have to drive the thing again if I don't want to :woop:

I'll be in B road next season so I can race GT3, and that will probably be my main ride other than Skippy. I have almost every road course except Motegi, maybe one more and the upcoming Monza so I might be almost done throwing money at this game unless I want to get into ovals :shepspends:

• Locked thread