Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Yes! Never forget the weaponized bigfoots! And I hope Bob got to walk again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Looking at the show summary we didn't miss anything.
http://www.coasttocoastam.com/show/2014/12/31

Curly Shuffle
May 31, 2001

Toilet Rascal
There was a caller in hour three who told George that Art thinks he's a swell guy and George responded with, "he did once... a long time ago. "

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

J33uk posted:

Looking at the show summary we didn't miss anything.
http://www.coasttocoastam.com/show/2014/12/31

quote:

George also conducted an "Auld Lang Syne" singing contest with callers, yielding a number of rousing versions of the classic New Year's tune.v

High quality radio right there.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Got a question for you C2C listeners: years ago, I heard a clip from a radio show where the 2-3 hosts were talking to someone on the line and all of a sudden A REALLY creepy voice said something quick. No one had any idea what it was, and they listened to the tape over and over again for the next 20 minutes or so.

I ask you guys this because I could have sworn it was C2C, but it definitely wasn't Bell or Noory who was the host, so I don't know. Help?

I really want to hear this now. I definitely don't think it was C2C though.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Social Animal posted:

I've googled and googled, but nothing has ever come up.

As lovely as this sounds, it might have 'originally' (heh) been posted on eBaum's world.

Edit: ugh, not there either, and I never want to go back to that site again.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 3, 2015

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Social Animal posted:

You might post a query on the bellgab.com forums. Some one over there might know. The follow a lot of the newer shows that artbell.com supports.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Edit: nevermind.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Not directly related, but I wanted to share a thread I just made on The Stone. This game and 90s Coast to Coast always remind me of one another, because of a shared Millennial paranormal/new age/etc type theme. I can see where C2C fans would also get a kick out of The Stone game.

M3wThr33
Sep 4, 2004

I gave up long ago trying to contribute anything ever.
We were listening to Coast to Coast a few nights ago. My wife doesn't listen much, but the numbers lady was on.

My wife said 'She's been on before... why do they have the same guests?'

We got into a discussion about how some guests come back with new info and other things, but it's not that way on C2C. It's really feels like it's just a rotating cast of boring guests. It's not even Noory not holding my interest, but the guests aren't wacky enough anymore, either.

When neither the guests NOR the host are interesting, what is?

Is C2C still the top rated overnight show? How much longer can it go? Whenever Noory gives up the mic (be it retirement or death) who takes over? Would the format change? Would the new host have the power to do it?

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

M3wThr33 posted:

Is C2C still the top rated overnight show?

Probably, but it isn't much of a crown. A lot of other stations will either be playing a rerun of something from earlier in the day and those that don't probably have some sort of show dedicated to truckers.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
Sweet Jesus, an actual show on Angels.

George is going to be insufferable. I'll probably end up killing myself by lunch. Here goes.

My C2C subscription runs out at the end of the month - has anyone listened to John B Wells' show? Is it worth the $5/month?

edit: apparently Bellgab hates it. gently caress it, I'll just listen to Clyde Lewis for free

shoplifter fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jan 29, 2015

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Today I realized that at some point while switching hard drives and poo poo I lost my favorite episode of C2C ever: An open lines show for Antichrists and time travelers. It was the most batshit insane thing you've ever heard. Art actually made fun of a guy for being completely nuts. It was the best. I have much sadness.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Literally The Worst posted:

Today I realized that at some point while switching hard drives and poo poo I lost my favorite episode of C2C ever: An open lines show for Antichrists and time travelers. It was the most batshit insane thing you've ever heard. Art actually made fun of a guy for being completely nuts. It was the best. I have much sadness.

You might post a query on the bellgab.com forums. There's people there who collect the old episodes.

Also, look on Youtube. Lots of older episodes there too.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

https://www.facebook.com/art.bell.716/posts/772799092768212?pnref=story

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Just in case Art later deletes it. (He's done it before.) And yes, the post had that crappy formatting.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Really excited for the week and a quarter that lasts

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Perhaps Art has had time to educate himself about how streaming and the internet work. Or has found someone who can handle things for him.

It should be fun while it lasts. Would be nice if it lasts through Halloween at least. :)

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
I kind of feel like maybe... just maybe, if he pours all of his own money into building the studio, he might not be as eager to dump it at the drop of a torrent.

Doesn't it seem like he's had a long time to be building all that, though? Why is he just now starting? Weird.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I just hope enough crazies manage to find the show to listen and call in. I'm afraid it'll just be a few hundred hardcore fans that manage to find it.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

gret posted:

I just hope enough crazies manage to find the show to listen and call in. I'm afraid it'll just be a few hundred hardcore fans that manage to find it.

That was a major issue on DM, and discussed exhaustively on BellGab: the caller/listener pool was so shallow, Art was getting the same few people calling in every night.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Literally The Worst posted:

Turns out this was March 23, 2001, and I urge you all to listen to it for the guy who claims to be the Hopi Prophet. I laughed so hard at the call that I had to pull my car over until I could breathe.

edit oh my god I found a freemen episode.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Art still doesn't know what a podcast is.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Oh goddamn it.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

It's like my dad is trying to figure out the internet (and it's 2003).

What in the hell does he think the other 10,000 podcasters are doing? Can't his show survive on royalty-free music or the cheapest theremin virtuoso money can buy?

I'm in the Bay Area of CA, is there anything on nighttime AM worth listening to? I've really, really tried to listen to CtC, but George don't make it easy. And getting shortwave reception is really frustrating.

I'm guessing I'm best off streaming old Art Bell stuff.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 12, 2015

RetroHelix
Oct 24, 2004

No home should be without one.
Ha! Quit before he even started. Too predictable. The bumper music was always great, but it doesn't even register on the list of reasons I listened to Art. Just go find some royalty free music. There's decent stuff out there and it doesn't cost a ton. Or hire someone to compose a some 15-30 second pieces that fit the mood of the show. It's not expensive and you'd own it. Hell, I bet there are Art fans out there who would do it for free. Or hold a fan contest, give a prize to winners. There's soooooo many alternatives to "gently caress it I quit," but this is Art we're talking about, so...

RetroHelix fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 12, 2015

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
He is such a prima donna. Everything has to go his way or he flips his wig. It seems like he doesn't even want to do a show really.

And "The music industry is shooting themselves in the foot by not letting me play worn out 80s music!!!". He could find tons of free music to play and help out some musicians by giving them exposure and maybe broaden his horizons a bit, instead he throws a hissy fit because he can't play Self Control for the 10 millionth time.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Seems to me that some of his loyal fans would happily compose and play new music, just for Art! UFO Phil's "Listening to Coast to Coast" song is great.

I think that Art wants to do a show, but then gets scared because he can't have it all the same way he's always done it. Art needs to think more outside the box, but he also needs someone to hold his hand and coax him along. :(

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Art keeps the drama going!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Spoilers for Maron, season 2. It's probably my favorite episode.

There's this episode of Maron where he discovers this amazing DJ on an AM station. He visits the station, and it's this massively talented old guy who has been broadcasting forever, but he's not had great success in some time, has had to move around to different jobs for very little pay. He and Marc meet up with some other old talents and they all bemoan their fate. Marc offers to show his new friend how to do podcasting for nothing, how it's easier, cheaper, and more personal than broadcasting, and he does it from his garage, no need to rely on fickle radio stations. Guy says no, he's just a broadcast guy, it's what he knows and what he loves. Podcasting is too different, too new. He really just wants to work on the radio.

Implicitly, it was the format, the flow, the whole nature of broadcasting. For old Art, it might be as big as the difference between using a ham radio and a cellphone: it's more than just talking to people, and more than just being an old guy who distrusts computers.

Doesn't mean it isn't a really kind of dumb inflexibility (bumpers a 'brick wall?'), but it kinda makes sense to me that way.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
He's correct that the legalities behind terrestrial and digital music streaming are a loving mess, and is justified in his level of frustration about that. But he's being hindered by his old-guard ways -- his project is perfect mid-tier crowdfunding fodder, where a portion of the budget can go towards either licensing music for a few years, or having a series of talented musicians produce music for him. There are enough people out there who would toss some bones his way.

But it'll never happen.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

Definitely. Plenty of people would toss him $50 if they were guaranteed that he'd do the show and keep it going a while.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Art might not be as big of a name as, say, 15-20 years ago, but surely he's got some clout where the music licensing executives will at least take his call to work something out?

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!

shoplifter posted:

Definitely. Plenty of people would toss him $50 if they were guaranteed that he'd do the show and keep it going a while.

Before the Sirius mess? Sure. Now? I seriously doubt that.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

You've got a point. I think there'd have to be some sort of guarantee that he wouldn't just up and quit, not that I think any of this will happen.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Someone would mention FLAC versus MP3 fidelity for podcasting and that would be the end of that.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

This was posted on artbell.com: http://artbell.com/numbers-playing-commercial-music-internet-streaming/

And then these posts appeared on Bell's Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/art.bell.716?fref=nf):

EDIT: I didn't screencap the full text from the first FB post below. Here's the full text of Art's statement:

Art Bell -- February 12 at 2:18pm · Pahrump, NV ·
"We could do a subscriber only show for $4.99 as well but that is not what I promised. I promised a free stream.

Keith is right I guess, I am emotional and this crap really came out of left field. As I have written in other posts I am very attached to that music that I collected with love over many Years and it is part of the energy of the show for me as well as many who became fans over the long history of the show.

Yes, I could go back to commercial radio but my dream is and always was good content without endless commercials, so no thanks.

The reason it came out of left field is because we were concerned with what we thought was the big stuff, my health, getting a live stream, setting up a studio but playing a few parts of music every hour? That was just not first on the list, nor should it have been in a logical World. People have said I am looking at all this like a Talk Show Host, it's the only way I know how to look at it!"

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Feb 14, 2015

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Jesus christ art

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

If nothing else I think he will be very careful to read the fine print this time.

Still think he should just not worry about the music. He's stubborn as gently caress though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Why not just get an AM show going and call it a day? The paid model isn't going to work for what he wants to do (or claim he wants to do). Just get back onto radio anybody can hear and roll with it.

• Locked thread