Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Also an attempted rape in the bikers episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Soothing Vapors posted:

There's one fairly disturbing sexual assault in episode 3, but I can't think of another one. It's disturbing but not especially graphic; nothing, including episode 3, is going to go all Irreversible on you or anything. Other than that, there's a lot of veiled sexual threats but nothing I can remember that's incredibly overt.

I wouldn't say the threats are TOO veiled. One episode of the first season has a couple of cracked-out armed robbers take a bunch of kids in Saturday Detention hostage, and because that's not enough, one of them starts groping the teacher. Almost every bad guy of the week in the first season is in some way guilty of a sex crime; that's what I mean by "there's a lot." It's not like there's a graphic rape scene a week, but if you're sensitive about male privilege and the way rape is commoditized in storytelling, it might be enough to piss you off.

To their credit, though? They cut that poo poo out in season 2 and figure out when their bad guys are bad enough. One episode even functions as a mea culpa of sorts. It's absolutely important that this be stressed.

And yes: the third episode has a brutal sexual assault scene. It's a scene of consensual sex that turns violent after the villain is unsatisfied with her performance. After the switch is flipped, you see the beating, but you don't see the rape the follows.

But yeah, Banshee is a show that's all about over-the-top indulgence. The sex is over the top, the violence is over the top, the characters are over the top. By all means, give it a try if you're curious, but there's a nonzero chance you'll find it too trashy (for want of a better word) for your tastes.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 12, 2015

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Oh man, how did I forget about the bikers and the schoolteacher thing? The schoolteacher thing especially was so loving pointless.

DivisionPost posted:

But yeah, Banshee is a show that's all about over-the-top indulgence. The sex is over the top, the violence is over the top, the characters are over the top. By all means, give it a try if you're curious, but there's a nonzero chance you'll find it too trashy (for want of a better word) for your tastes.
Couldn't have said (and in fact, didn't say) it better myself. Show owns bones, but it's not for everyone

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

DivisionPost posted:

but if you're sensitive about male privilege and the way rape is commoditized in storytelling, it might be enough to piss you off.

To their credit, though? They cut that poo poo out in season 2 and figure out when their bad guys are bad enough. One episode even functions as a mea culpa of sorts. It's absolutely important that this be stressed.

or maybe just don't watch banshee

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So are we assuming season 4 will be it the since it's short two episodes?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Possibly, but not necessarily.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

am0kgonzo posted:

or maybe just don't watch banshee

Nah

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

I'm not saying not to watch Banshee.

But if you're "sensitive about male privilege", maybe don't watch it, or at least don't post about it.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Thanks for the replies.

Just started episode 2 and it's pretty good sofar. Also it has spartacus, and I caught the Strike Back reference in ep 1.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

VDay posted:

Banshee renewed for fourth season, will be 8 episodes instead of 10.

Season 4 is the final season, welp, I guess it's better to end on a high... *sniff*

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

There are also a few scenes of domestic violence, though that eventually gets resolved in the most satisfying way.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

madpanda posted:

Thanks for the replies.

Just started episode 2 and it's pretty good sofar. Also it has spartacus, and I caught the Strike Back reference in ep 1.

Spartacus?

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Yea I somehow confused

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liam_McIntyre

Who was in Spartacus (blood on the sand etc)

With

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antony_Starr

Who is in Banshee, and nothing else I can recall seeing.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
He's 1 of 3 handsome buff Kiwi's not in Spartacus, it's confusing

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Wandle Cax posted:

Possibly, but not necessarily.

Greg Yaitanes hasn't said a word on Twitter aside from announcing there will be a season 4. I'm going to assume it's a budget / contract consideration and that all is well until he announces otherwise.

Banshee is, no poo poo, as key to Cinemax's original programming brand as Six Feet Under was to HBO's. (In this analogy, Strike Back would be The Sopranos since it came first and established Max as a legit force to begin with. Like 6FU, Banshee solidified the reputation.) It gets solid live ratings, doubles those numbers through DVR (which counts a great deal since Max isn't ad-supported), and critics are also embracing it for the crazy and deceptively heavy ride that it is. That makes it a firm anchor alongside The Knick, for a channel that doesn't have a lot of original programming at the moment. So it's not going anywhere outside of its own terms, and I wouldn't sweat it either way.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 13, 2015

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
If anything, I'd be worried about them trying to drag it out.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Hoooly poo poo the fight at the end of episode 3.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

madpanda posted:

Welcome to Banshee :getin:

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

life is killing me posted:

Seems like it's been as deep as it always has been since he first threw Hood into a wall like he was a rag doll

Yeah... just watched it online..

He grabs the knife arm of the old man ... "Thats enough" is in classic deep voice.

But every line after that has more facial expression and in a higher pitch. maybe its a more natural speech then everything we hear from Chayton is said with stone face and dripping with murder-rage

... i don't think I was crazy :/

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

madpanda posted:

That's pretty much where the rest of us became rabid fans of this show.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I thought this was written to be the last season. Can't wait to see what the next season will bring, but now I have a bad feeling all the big bads except maybe Chayton are gonna make it through now. Hopefully no one is safe the rest of this season still. Every episode has made me worry about losing a character I like.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Roundboy posted:

Yeah... just watched it online..

He grabs the knife arm of the old man ... "Thats enough" is in classic deep voice.

But every line after that has more facial expression and in a higher pitch. maybe its a more natural speech then everything we hear from Chayton is said with stone face and dripping with murder-rage

... i don't think I was crazy :/

I guess I wasn't paying a whole lot of attention to his voice to discern it, but it still seems the same to me. Though you've got a point about his emotions affecting his voice, especially after Tommy dies. He's supremely pissed off, but basically carries his rage like Hood does: brooding, calm, collected. Then you see them release it which rules.

Anyway, yeah, I can see the possibility of Chayton's voice maybe changing as he fights to contain his anger.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
It looks like season four is only going to be 8 episodes long :cry: :negative: :cry:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I'm probably not going to be able to do a full "tonight's episode" post (I'll edit if I get home in time), but based on some things Greg Yaitanes is saying on Twitter, it sounds like this is going to be more of a "calm before the storm" episode, so get ready for some violent mano y crushing, infuriating grief tonight.

EDIT: As promised, the whole summary of tonight's episode, We Were All Someone Else Yesterday:

quote:

Lucas decides to take matters into his own hands in his pursuit of Chayton; Rebecca is distressed to learn of her uncle's burgeoning romance with Emily; Deva is drawn to a handsome stranger.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 14, 2015

Some Zero
Sep 23, 2009
Feel like this one ended before it started. Next week should be better.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Rebecca don't want your forgiveness. :colbert: Rebecca has been acting like she is hot poo poo so far this season so being put in her place was pretty deserved. I wonder if she is plotting some kind of payback against Kai for the little callout she got tonight or if she is going to fall farther(or both).

Brock is gonna be pissed :huh:

Just what everyone wanted, more Deva plot :jerkbag:

Jeez Hood, now you are 0/2 against killing people that you snuck up on. You are kinda bad at this assassin thing.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

"I'll have your badge for this, fucker."
"Get in fuckin' line."

:allears:

Also, I just found out this episode that there's stuff after the credits. Now I have to go back and rewatch everything

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Rebecca don't want your forgiveness. :colbert: Rebecca has been acting like she is hot poo poo so far this season so being put in her place was pretty deserved. I wonder if she is plotting some kind of payback against Kai for the little callout she got tonight or if she is going to fall farther(or both).
That look after Kai left made me think she is going to make a coat out of Emily

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Just what everyone wanted, more Deva plot :jerkbag:

Is it weird that I actually find it interesting how Deva is basically turning into her dad? Like, I don't necessarily think it should be getting this much screen time, but I like where they've gone with it in general and it's not like it's cutting into the Hood beat-rear end that much.

Also, holy gently caress, this show is Spartacus. It has the exact same dynamic of bouncing around between the protagonists' gently caress poo poo up rampages/intensely manly romances and the antagonists' crazy soap opera poo poo. Kai Proctor is just Batiatus in 2015.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Feb 14, 2015

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Kai Proctor is just Batiatus in 2015.
Hahaha

I didn't think anything could make me love this show more, but here it is

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
For a show that started out as just a vulgar but cool action extravaganza, I absolutely adore how they take episodes and experiment with different styles and formats and try out artsy stuff. It keeps it from getting to be too procedural or too much, like just too much gore or too much sex.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
The alt-history playing out in Hood's head all episode was really, really well done.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Much of this season feels like a pretentious art graduate students wet dream. Too much money skunked away on fancy clever shots, dreamt up after each vape hit.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
And there was pretty much only one overt rape scene so far in the show.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
Is it just me, or is the plot armor loving ridiculous this season?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mars4523 posted:

Is it just me, or is the plot armor loving ridiculous this season?

Not ridiculous enough for Siobhan :(

But yea it is getting a bit silly. I mean obviously Hood wasn't going to kill Kai or Chayton those times, but they shouldn't have written him into that position to begin with.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
The FBI team lead (Simmons from Person of Interest) seems to have been cast from the same mold as Col. Stowe with the steely eyes. He worked well as a spanner in the works for Hood without being the usual bossy and/or dumb Fed who barges in and ruins everything. Ruining everything is Hood's job and he was in fine form today. If he had stayed back Chayton would be in a federal prison now and all the people who will die taking Chayton down would have lived.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm slightly faceblind and I watched the episode with herbal assistance but I almost thought he was Col. Stowe at first.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Going by next week's preview: looks like a good chunk of it will be shot in first-person.

It may not always work, but I'm happy that the directors and producers have been willing to add so many artsy touches to the show as it progresses, as it keeps the show fresh.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm 100% onboard with this artsy poo poo, just keep giving me tits and fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Going by next week's preview: looks like a good chunk of it will be shot in first-person.

It may not always work, but I'm happy that the directors and producers have been willing to add so many artsy touches to the show as it progresses, as it keeps the show fresh.

Stop, my erection cannot get any harder.

• Locked thread