Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cacafuego posted:

Why are you yelling?

Why are you STILL yelling?

I lost it when the Countess shows up and she basically has exactly the same voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

feedmyleg posted:

Man, away from this thread for two days and saw a ton of replies. Thought we got a release date announcement :(

Nope, pie fight.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Tatsuta Age posted:

Someone help me before I go insane. What is that background song?

Considering they almost never have a licensed song in an episode, they probably wouldn't go for two, especially for just twenty seconds.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Drunk Orpheus owns and I hope we get to see more of him

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
I think "muscle mother" describes the fact that Rusty had the following parents:
Father: Dr. Venture
Mother: his father's "muscle," meaning his bodyguards, teammates, and so on. "Muscle" is a comic-book-y synonym for lackey or henchman: Jonas is the leader, and Kano and Action Man are his muscle.

Or, it's just alliteration.

As for the Operation: PROM song, it could be something they got from a stock music library, like in Invisible Hand of Fate.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

I always just took it to be Rusty describing being raised by action heroes, using the worst possible word choices.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think the real question is whether the reference to metal fingers is foreshadowing about Vendata trying to kill Rusty when he was a kid, or whether it's just a gag about HELPeR or the countless robots that tried to kill and molest young Rusty. I have a 1500-word blog post to write and the print out to bring with me to a Q&A with Jackson and Doc.

Hey, I forgot where HELPeR went. When was the last time we saw him.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Tatsuta Age posted:

So for some loving reason, I'm still trying to find this song from Operation P.R.O.M.. Some weirdo posted the whole episode on Youtube, so it's this part:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EfiImXyHq4&t=1763s

Someone help me before I go insane. What is that background song?

Have you tried using Soundhound or Shazam on it?

I see someone already tried this.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Jack Gladney posted:

Hey, I forgot where HELPeR went. When was the last time we saw him.

He was heading toward Rusty on Abomination in the last season. I don't know if that was his last appearance or not.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
He was in the kitchen. Hatred mentioned him.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
He played the drums at JJ's funeral.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

He was in the kitchen. Hatred mentioned him.

Yeah, the power being out meant he ran out of juice.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Nintendo Kid posted:

It's probably a soundalike they or Thirwell did, then.

Its gotta be this, I threw every word that wasn't covered up by drunken yelling or 21 sobbing into google and got nothing.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
In S1E1, what does the student ask during Rusty's lecture and what does the professor answer? I'm assuming that most of the attendees are in the wrong class given most of them leave when the question is answered, but what do they think they're there for?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Vanrushal posted:

In S1E1, what does the student ask during Rusty's lecture and what does the professor answer? I'm assuming that most of the attendees are in the wrong class given most of them leave when the question is answered, but what do they think they're there for?
They think it's an ESL class.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I want a full episode of the old rusty venture cartoon.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

PostNouveau posted:

... brought to us by... SMOKING!

I don't know. If they did an episode of the show, there'd be a lot of temptation to throw in some examples of Jonas openly being a terrible father in some adventure-boy-show way, which is something we'd all laugh at. But, it would also mean that the cartoon actually showed bad parenting that might only be visible by people of our generation and age, but it'd be there all the same, and the fact that Rusty is totally hosed up as an adult wouldn't be surprising in the least to the average person in the Ventureverse who grew up watching the show. At the very least, it wouldn't have its prestige as an in-universe classic cartoon that's beloved by many, remembered fondly by many more, and hated only by the insiders.

The only way to make it right would be to make an episode that's whitewashed for the TV viewers of the 60s: Jonas comes off as totally awesome and beyond reproach, as does Team Venture as a whole. And Rusty comes off as cute, adventuresome, and a magnet for kidnapping. It would literally be as fun to watch as some random episode of Johnny Quest from that era, and it wouldn't be able to have much of the Venture humor that we love the show for, because, again, part of that humor is that people on the outside don't really get any clues to what's really happening in young Rusty's life.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 13, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

PostNouveau posted:

Better yet, an episode detailing what went into making one specific episode of the old show, or a retrospective show of "Where are they now" a la "the VH1."

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Better yet, an episode detailing what went into making one specific episode of the old show, or a retrospective show of "Where are they now" a la "the VH1."

... now that I could get behind.

Or, a documentary where they compare how something really happened to how it was portrayed in a movie. I've seen these, years ago though. They go through all the similarities and differences between some historical event as depicted in a famous movie or something. But, they do it with some event that Team Venture became entangled with, and the episode of the cartoon that was made about that event.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

PostNouveau posted:

It's neat that, in the universe of the show, the Rusty Venture cartoon is 35-40 years old, but there was enough interest from younger children to attend his day camp. I wonder if Rusty Venture is just a timeless nostalgia thing, like GI Joe or Spider-Man.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Red posted:

It's neat that, in the universe of the show, the Rusty Venture cartoon is 35-40 years old, but there was enough interest from younger children to attend his day camp. I wonder if Rusty Venture is just a timeless nostalgia thing, like GI Joe or Spider-Man.

...Now imagine an episode about the Rusty Venture Show being rebooted.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Kesper North posted:

...Now imagine an episode about the Rusty Venture Show being rebooted.

Considering it seems to be the replacement for the actual Johnny Quest show in this universe, it probably went through similar revivals and continuations like Johnny Quest did in our world, which means there was a crappy 80's continuation where they inexplicably added a Rock Man to the cast, and a cult classic 90's series that had some truly awful early cgi

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
Here's how you get the best of both worlds:
Someone mentions that a particular episode was awesome.

Rusty then explains what really happened during that episode in flashback form, with the "real" version being intercut with the cartoon version. There's lots of room for good gags there.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
How do you tell the difference between a cartoon and real version of a cartoon?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The Rusty Venture show wasn't a cartoon. It was live action.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Mr. Nice! posted:

The Rusty Venture show wasn't a cartoon. It was live action.

I think they referred to it as a cartoon several times in the show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crBegkYO0Uc&t=848s

Cojawfee posted:

How do you tell the difference between a cartoon and real version of a cartoon?

Good question...

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 14, 2015

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Steve Yun posted:

I think they referred to it as a cartoon several times in the show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crBegkYO0Uc&t=848s

Or this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXr0qmA9U0M&t=78s

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Looks like I was wrong.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

Looks like I was wrong.

I was under that impression as well.

And if they were to reference a 90s version of the show, I'd just want it to be Doc grumbling about it in a throwaway line.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

A real conondrum: in the Venture Bros. universe, is the Scooby Doo gang A) a television show that characters are aware of & reference (see: Hank's wardrobe), B) a group of actual people, some of whom Action Johnny claims to have scored with, or C) a nightmarish band of serial killers that murdered Hank and Dean

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

D) All of the above

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Probably both of the latter two, but they're separate groups. The creepy serial killers are to the real Scooby Gang as Brock Samson is to Race Bannon (who is canon!).

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Ithaqua posted:

Here's how you get the best of both worlds:
Someone mentions that a particular episode was awesome.

Rusty then explains what really happened during that episode in flashback form, with the "real" version being intercut with the cartoon version. There's lots of room for good gags there.

This!

I would love to see this.

Hell, I'd pay to see this.

My cable bill, that is.

I'd pay my cable bill to watch this episode.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

And the title of that episode?

Escape From The House Of Mummies, Part VII!

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

dudes the show's premise is super-simple, it's a world where American cartoons that gen-x people grew up with are real

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Triana tells Kim that Hank dresses "like Fred from Scooby Doo".

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Christmas Present posted:

dudes the show's premise is super-simple, it's a world where American cartoons that gen-x people grew up with are real
OSI is basically GI Joe, Action Johnny is literally Johnny Quest on meth. I bet GI Joe in the Ventureverse is actually a "names changed to protect the innocent" depiction of the Pyramid Wars, for kids.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

Triana tells Kim that Hank dresses "like Fred from Scooby Doo".

To say nothing of Shcooby Doo monshtah game

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
and Scooby dooby doo magic masks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

That one episode Billy was watching seemed dark as hell for a 60s kids show