Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Smol posted:

Dunno if they changed this in EE , but removing Jaheira from your party (or stuff like her getting turned to stone) used to kill the romance. So double check your global variables.

I believe it's only fixed for the new characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Some time ago there's been talking about IWD2 not working on Windows 8.1, even for GOG version. For those of you interested, I've stumbled upon this thread on GOG forums. Now, I've never had trouble starting IWD2 on my 8.1 but the game moved like rear end, and ddrawfix made it all flickery and poo poo.

I made a clean install and copied everything from ddwraper.zip found in this link, changed BltMirror from 0 to 1 in "aqrit.cfg" file like it says in that GOG forum post and the game seems to work perfectly! I still need to test it properly, but when starting a quick new game, it neither flickers, there's no inverted fog of war edge and it's normal speed.

EDIT: Oh, and I also have NVIDIA card and the solution in the OP made it flickery so it didn't really worked for me.

fuck off Batman fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 8, 2015

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Taliesyn posted:

I believe it's only fixed for the new characters.

At least they fixed it so petrify/imprison no longer kill npc quests/dialogues.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Does BG2 have any kind of encounter scaling? I'm in the endgame but stopped to clean up on some stuff I skipped early in the game. Now it seems enemies come in clumps, especially when I get to beholder areas I'm running into big clumps of them, which I can't say I remember happening before, though it has been some years.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

Parts Kit posted:

Does BG2 have any kind of encounter scaling? I'm in the endgame but stopped to clean up on some stuff I skipped early in the game. Now it seems enemies come in clumps, especially when I get to beholder areas I'm running into big clumps of them, which I can't say I remember happening before, though it has been some years.

Yes it does.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Hah, well that explains the large groups of undead and such.

Unfortunately blobs of Beholders aren't so much fun since they tend to chew right through the first person they see with a bunch of spammed Cause Serious Wounds. :argh:

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Parts Kit posted:

Hah, well that explains the large groups of undead and such.

Unfortunately blobs of Beholders aren't so much fun since they tend to chew right through the first person they see with a bunch of spammed Cause Serious Wounds. :argh:

Go to the Adventure's Mart, by the Shield of Balduran from Deirdre. It's the only thing that makes Beholders bearable.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Smiling Knight posted:

Go to the Adventure's Mart, by the Shield of Balduran from Deirdre. It's the only thing that makes Beholders bearable.

What does it do?

Also I heard Beholders Cause Serious Wounds on Skeletons, but Skeletons cant receive wounds so they go all Evil Dead 2 on the Beholders.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Bort Bortles posted:

What does it do?

Reflects eye rays back.

All of them, in fact.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The Shield of Balduran drains the strength of its wielder by 2, and in exchange all beholder eye rays are deflected or reflected. Slap it on Jaheira and have her solo any of the two nests. It's well worth the price, just don't keep it on her at all times.

One notable exception to the reflection rule is the Elder Orb's imprisonment spell. Go for the elder orbs first if there are any.

In the Sahuagin City at the end of Act 3 (?) you can also get a cloak that reflects lightning spells, and that negates all direct damage rays that beholders emit, though it doesn't protect against hold or charm rays or the aforementioned imprisonment.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The general assumption is that by the time you're that high level, your characters have the equipment and abilities to deal with the big mobs that are getting thrown at you.

It's certainly much more interesting than if it were a tedious stomp through enemies that would have been challenging 10 levels ago.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
So there was some....unpleasantness and my Ranger is now Fallen. How the hell do I remove this? I tried unchecking the box in EEKeeper but he remains fallen. I am not super far in but I am playing a SCS install and I really dont want to start over.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

bunnielab posted:

So there was some....unpleasantness and my Ranger is now Fallen. How the hell do I remove this? I tried unchecking the box in EEKeeper but he remains fallen. I am not super far in but I am playing a SCS install and I really dont want to start over.

completing the stronghold quests will remove the fallen status. other than that you're poo poo outta luck.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Balls.

I love me some BG but I am so sick of everything pre-Cloakwood Mines.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I wish BGEE had an option to restore the original cutscenes. The new ones are significantly shorter and often cut really weirdly.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

bunnielab posted:

Its a pain in the rear end but you basically have to make a script (using a 3rd party program), assign the script to your character and activate it. See here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/10856/recovering-fallen-paladin-ranger

Also remember to up your reputation otherwise you'll probably just immediately become fallen again.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Planescape EE is going to happen at some point I hope. Getting a better UI on that game is worth 20 bucks to me.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Is there a way to move my BG2:EE save game from iPad and continue on PC?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

BadAstronaut posted:

Is there a way to move my BG2:EE save game from iPad and continue on PC?

20 seconds of googling gives me this:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/11504/transferring-bgee-saves-to-ipad

should work both ways.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Basic Chunnel posted:

One notable exception to the reflection rule is the Elder Orb's imprisonment spell. Go for the elder orbs first if there are any.

It is because imprisonment is (was, maybe?) Abjuration, so it's tagged as a friendly spell. I don't know if it's deliberate but it was always the most irritating thing.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Taear posted:

It is because imprisonment is (was, maybe?) Abjuration, so it's tagged as a friendly spell. I don't know if it's deliberate but it was always the most irritating thing.

Yep, Elder Orbs cast it as a spell, not a ray, so the shield doesn't work on it.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I'm working through bg2 ee with SCS, and I'm just hitting chapter 3. I've avoided most of the harder Lich battles so far (no Kangaxx) and I've encountered one of the more cute AI innovations: spell immunity: divination with improved invisibility and PfMW, on one of Bodhi's friends, Tanova.

Remove magic and dispell probably aren't working given the level difference plus she has globe of invulnerability up. I can't target her with any targetted dispells because of the invisibility, which I can't remove with divination spells. And she has multiple PfMW spells memorized, and moved at triple haste speed.

(I guess I'd also like to know how to deal with immunity: abjuration too)

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Do you have the "Antimagic attacks penetrate improved invisibility" component installed? SCS is balanced with the assumption that you do. Anyhow, Secret Word or two or Ruby Ray of Reversal (if the mage has SI: Abjuration) followed by True Sight should do the trick. Also, Detect Illusion the thief skill doesn't care about SI: Divination.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Smol posted:

Do you have the "Antimagic attacks penetrate improved invisibility" component installed? SCS is balanced with the assumption that you do. Anyhow, Secret Word or two or Ruby Ray of Reversal (if the mage has SI: Abjuration) followed by True Sight should do the trick. Also, Detect Illusion the thief skill doesn't care about SI: Divination.

This. Also, AoE spells of 6th level and higher are also useful, in particular Death Fog, Chaos, Firestorm, etc.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I've never really messed with Detect Illusion on thieves, what is the range like? Whole vision? Half-vision, like finding traps? If I cast Find Traps as a cleric/thief, does it also passively attempt to detect illusions using my thief skill level?

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Smol posted:

Hm. Does "antimagic" specifically mean just spellstrike, secret word, and ruby ray? Because I've been using breach and Pierce predominantly. I'll have to look into it.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Velius posted:

Hm. Does "antimagic" specifically mean just spellstrike, secret word, and ruby ray? Because I've been using breach and Pierce predominantly. I'll have to look into it.

Breach doesn't count as anti-magic, and Secret Word is 4th level so Liches are immune. Pierce Magic should remove SI: Div, which should let you remove the Invisibility with True Seeing and then Combat Protections with Breach. But they must be cast in that order, and it won't work if, for instance, the Lich has more than one spell protection active, since anti-magic typically removes the higher level ones first.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Smol posted:

I wish BGEE had an option to restore the original cutscenes. The new ones are significantly shorter and often cut really weirdly.

well, there is a mod. http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/1020-bg-ee-classic-movies/

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I am I a great position where I am essentially starting out BG 2 fresh. 10 years ago I got 10 hours or so in and I barely remember it. I'm really psyched to immerse myself in it this time.

I have a dilemma though. I really liked Neera and Dorn in BG1, and so far I am digging Hexxat too. I feel like I would be missing something, though, ditching the old characters since I have never taken them thigh the game. I tried removing Jaheira but she guilted the gently caress out of me so she's still in. I want to replace Aerie with Neera but her delicate heart will break (she is a prime candidate to go though since I did make her my waifu when I played a decade ago.

So, I know I can't bring every character along, as much as I want to, but any advice on if I should bring the old heads or new or any party members I should absolutely not miss?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

rio posted:

I am I a great position where I am essentially starting out BG 2 fresh. 10 years ago I got 10 hours or so in and I barely remember it. I'm really psyched to immerse myself in it this time.

I have a dilemma though. I really liked Neera and Dorn in BG1, and so far I am digging Hexxat too. I feel like I would be missing something, though, ditching the old characters since I have never taken them thigh the game. I tried removing Jaheira but she guilted the gently caress out of me so she's still in. I want to replace Aerie with Neera but her delicate heart will break (she is a prime candidate to go though since I did make her my waifu when I played a decade ago.

So, I know I can't bring every character along, as much as I want to, but any advice on if I should bring the old heads or new or any party members I should absolutely not miss?

Make sure you bring Yoshimo since it's practically your first time, otherwise don't worry too much about it. Ditch Aerie though, she's an annoying whiner.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'm not sure how the EE characters might affect the balance, but compared to half the population of the Sword Coast being recruitable in BG1, there are few enough party members and enough XP in the game that you can be fluid with your party make up, ideally trialing characters on the quest they show up in. This will give you an idea of their gameplay abilities and personality with a goal of figuring out your favorite team by the core game ending or the beginning of the expansion.

More metagamey, but Keldorn has an overpowered paladin kit that frees up your mages and clerics low level slots that would be dedicated to weaker versions of spells he casts multiple times per day.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I did it! After 13 years of trying off and on, I finally finished Throne of Bhaal and the Baldur's Gate trilogy.

The ironman thread got me in the mood, and I was just like gently caress it this time I'm going all the way. I actually took this character through all three games, and she decided to become mortal at the end.

This morning I just woke up picked up my save in the middle of Sendai's enclave and decided to marathon through the rest of it. Surprisingly I did the entire Throne of Blood without any resting - my MC wasn't getting that option from Wish for some reason, and a vampiric mist at the first well energy drained Imoen's level 9 spell slots. By the end I was using the 1 scroll of stoneskin in my scroll case and being glad I had redundant Hastes and so on prepared.

Party was:
Ilsevele the MC (kensai 13/mage, basically murdered the poo poo out of things really quickly once she got her kensai levels back in the underdark)
Mazzy (edited into a cavalier, pretty tanky and hilariously savage with the Axe of the Unyielding)
Keldorn (yay Keldorn)
Jaheira (romance #1, just cast some odd spells and shot bullets at things. Off-tanked when something decided to attack from the back.)
Imoen (my pure mage)
Aerie (didn't actually do much, was mostly useful for her cleric spells.)

That was a blast but I am taking at least a year's break from the series. So tired right now - playing all three games in a row end to end will do that to you.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Make sure you bring Yoshimo since it's practically your first time, otherwise don't worry too much about it. Ditch Aerie though, she's an annoying whiner.

Bring him for the utility or the character? I was mainly concerned that if I mix new and old characters that there will be less banter and character development.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

rio posted:

Bring him for the utility or the character? I was mainly concerned that if I mix new and old characters that there will be less banter and character development.

Bring him for the character. Well, that and the biggest quest xp bonus possible in Shadows of Amn.

Don't worry about mixing old and new characters, they all have new banter and character development. Minsc has a lot of banter with Aerie, for example.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

rio posted:

The character.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
In other news a New D&D RPG in the forgotten realms is coming out. From the Trailer it looks Baldur's gatey. https://swordcoast.com/

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

In other news a New D&D RPG in the forgotten realms is coming out. From the Trailer it looks Baldur's gatey. https://swordcoast.com/

that looks exactly like neverwinter nights 2

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dyna Soar posted:

that looks exactly like neverwinter nights 2

Graphics wise I would say it looks much better given that I just played through Neverwitner Nights 2.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I thought Neverwinter was a much closer view and you could move around with wasd and was not Infinity Engine-like in terms of party management, while this ad makes it look like it is Infinity Engine-esque.

I wonder what version of DnD it is based off of. I would consider buying it (once i see more info on it) if it was 5th edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

MonsterEnvy posted:

Great, another D&D based RPG that I won't be able to resist buying - I hadn't heard a peep about this until just now. You owe me $40.

I've only looked at 5th edition literature a tiny bit; I really should read about it more.