Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

enraged_camel posted:

Is it me, or does backtracking through corridors you have already explored not guarantee that they will be empty?

I've hit traps and run into monsters before when doubling back.

Maybe it's something that only happens in total darkness?

It is not guaranteed, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Also, it would be pretty cool, in a masochistic way, if traps did more than damage/stress. I'm thinking stuff like debuffs, starting the next combat stunned, snuffing out your torches, things like that.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

What this game really needs is mimics :getin:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
also the mimics can disease you

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How much content is actually in the game? I'm doing level 3 dungeons now and encountering new monsters, but also what seem to be just re-named buffed existing monsters. Is there still a lot of enemy content I've not seen, or is it just buffed re-names from here out?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Considering you run into bandits often in level 1 dungeons though, they're still a bit overpowered.

And they're not any more of a threat there. Fusiliers can be nasty but you can easily take them out on the first turn, possibly before they get a chance to do anything. All the others are complete jokes.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Baronjutter posted:

How much content is actually in the game? I'm doing level 3 dungeons now and encountering new monsters, but also what seem to be just re-named buffed existing monsters. Is there still a lot of enemy content I've not seen, or is it just buffed re-names from here out?

Early access. There are a few new mobs as you progress but most of the later game isn't implemented yet.

Glad to see you made it over the hump and into the later game =) What made the difference for you?

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

You can see everything there is to see in level 3 dungeons.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Personally, I'd like to see reinforcements getting added to fights that drag on too long rather than just extra stress.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Irony.or.Death posted:

It's not much of a decision at present. Early camping for buffs is almost always going to be a better decision once the survivalist shows up. I think there's a definite argument for some sort of re-balancing, but I'm not sure what the sensible approach would be. It sort of feels like stress management goes from important to trivial too quickly, so most of the potential mid-run camp value vanishes.
Are survivalist and other class details out?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Eh, has that changed now that stun-locking is less viable? Before it wasn't too much of an issue because the best way to heal wasn't camping, it was stunlock buffing for the last few rounds. Now it might be more of a choice.
Crits giving stress reduction is still a bit too strong.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 12, 2015

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Lotish posted:

Personally, I'd like to see reinforcements getting added to fights that drag on too long rather than just extra stress.

Yeah, same here. The slime things that replicate themselves have this effect: they add a sense of urgency that's missing from other fights, even with the new stress factor.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The slimes are assholes. I hate when I get a string of misses on clean up and a little one spawns another 60 hp fat gently caress for me to kill.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

paranoid randroid posted:

also the mimics can disease you

I already get that enough from regular, non-living treasure

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Rascyc posted:

The slimes are assholes. I hate when I get a string of misses on clean up and a little one spawns another 60 hp fat gently caress for me to kill.

Oh good this last hit will kill the sli--

1hp left

bloop

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

Yeah, same here. The slime things that replicate themselves have this effect: they add a sense of urgency that's missing from other fights, even with the new stress factor.

eh, not really. They're so weak you can easily kill them in one or two hits, and if they happen to spawn a giant slime you just run away and try the fight from the start again.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Genocyber posted:

eh, not really. They're so weak you can easily kill them in one or two hits, and if they happen to spawn a giant slime you just run away and try the fight from the start again.

If you're lame sure that's a strategy.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
But my chievos!!!

if there isn't an achievement for completing the game without running away then idk what is (for when achievements are eventually added)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

enraged_camel posted:

Also, it would be pretty cool, in a masochistic way, if traps did more than damage/stress. I'm thinking stuff like debuffs, starting the next combat stunned, snuffing out your torches, things like that.

I think traps are bad enough already. Later in the game they take huge chunks of HP.

Genocyber posted:

They need to add a stress penalty to fleeing battle so people stop using it to exploit stuff like this and surprise attacks.

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em
+10 stress per dude per retreat seems like a very easy solution to combat abuse of the current mechanic.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Internet Kraken posted:

I think traps are bad enough already. Later in the game they take huge chunks of HP.

They need to add a stress penalty to fleeing battle so people stop using it to exploit stuff like this and surprise attacks.

Eh, I think the retreat mechanic as it is makes sense with surprise attacks. If your team can execute an orderly retreat and regroup that's not exploiting, that's just good tactics. It's also not ALWAYS a good idea, depending on your team, how mixed up you get, who goes first, etc.

Using it to make monsters go POOF is a different issue.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Early access. There are a few new mobs as you progress but most of the later game isn't implemented yet.

Glad to see you made it over the hump and into the later game =) What made the difference for you?

Oh I'm certainly not complaining about the content, just curious. I'm looking forward to seeing the game grow.
What made it over the hump? Two things: actually using the guild and smith to upgrade people, and cheating. I cut the cost of most things (building upgrades, adventure supplied) by about half and I found the game way less grindy. The dungeons them selves are fine, I just have to do less of them to afford to upgrade my heros.

The new patch seems to have changed a lot of stuff. Hellion is nerfed, most of her really good abilities now give her a debuff and she seems to be hitting less hard. Also stun resisting buff after being stunned.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

It's super easy to reduce stress through crits tho.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
There is something super viscerally satisfying about seeing a crit fly off, hearing the announcer crow, and feeling the catharsis from your heroes taunting the enemies and shaking off some stress though so even if they do nerf it some i hope they don't remove it completely.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Coolguye posted:

There is something super viscerally satisfying about seeing a crit fly off, hearing the announcer crow, and feeling the catharsis from your heroes taunting the enemies and shaking off some stress though so even if they do nerf it some i hope they don't remove it completely.

Yeah. There's a reason the first trailer has the characters panicking some, the Highwayman loving up a skeleton, and one of them declaring "WELL STRUCK! WE HAVE NOTHING TO FEAR!"

Seconds before his death.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Ah, a rest move that reduces chance of Suprise to my group and increases Surprise on the enemy! Let's use it!

*Next three encounters ends up with my team being Surprised and eating poo poo*

:saddowns:

Later...

Ahh, finally rested. That's good, everyone was on the verge of insanity and almost dead. Now they're practically perfect again and there's only two rooms to go until the boss! Rock on!

*Jester gets critted four times in a row, everyone's stress skyrockets and they all get the poo poo beaten out of them leaving them a wobbling mess before the boss*

:saddowns:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Eh, I think the retreat mechanic as it is makes sense with surprise attacks. If your team can execute an orderly retreat and regroup that's not exploiting, that's just good tactics. It's also not ALWAYS a good idea, depending on your team, how mixed up you get, who goes first, etc.

Well is there any downside to just retreating? I've never tried it but from what I understand as soon as its your turn, you can just flee from the battle with no penalty. If there's no penalty there's no reason to ever endure a surprise attack.

Genocyber posted:

It's super easy to reduce stress through crits tho.

Not really? If you're already at low stress then critting a lot will help, but if you get some bad rolls or someone is at high stress then crits alone aren't gonna save you. Plus for every crit you get the enemy might get crits as well.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Well is there any downside to just retreating? I've never tried it but from what I understand as soon as its your turn, you can just flee from the battle with no penalty. If there's no penalty there's no reason to ever endure a surprise attack.

Not really? If you're already at low stress then critting a lot will help, but if you get some bad rolls or someone is at high stress then crits alone aren't gonna save you. Plus for every crit you get the enemy might get crits as well.

The downside to retreating is that the enemy gets their first turn actions back, too. If the crossbow skeletons act and crit you after a surprise, you can retreat to eat food/reshuffle your characters, but then you'll probably only have 1 or 2 actions to kill them before they attack again instead of 4.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Internet Kraken posted:

It has a chance to fail, which I think ends up passing the turn?

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Internet Kraken posted:

Retreats can fail, giving the enemy "free" moves. However, as long as no one is stressed out, I usually retreat on the first 1-2 attempts, and I don't remember more than 3.

I think people have said that if certain afflictions are active, they can prevent retreating, though, but past the early game I haven't been afflicted once, nor really gone past 30 stress on any character for very long so I haven't verified that.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

misguided rage posted:

It has a chance to fail, which I think ends up passing the turn?

It does pass your turn. I may be wrong on this part, but I also think retreating has higher chance of failing if the character that initiates the retreat is on Death's Door, but I don't know how to confirm such a theory.

E: I needed to retreat the other night and it failed 3 times in a row. :(

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

animatorZed posted:

Retreats can fail, giving the enemy "free" moves. However, as long as no one is stressed out, I usually retreat on the first 1-2 attempts, and I don't remember more than 3.

I think people have said that if certain afflictions are active, they can prevent retreating, though, but past the early game I haven't been afflicted once, nor really gone past 30 stress on any character for very long so I haven't verified that.

I had to get my cleric killed before I could retreat. She had some affliction and any time I tried to retreat she'd just shout at the party and they'd fail. Happened about 4 times. Only managed to get 1 out of there as other died due to her idiocy.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
If they took out stress on crits you would have to always bring a stress reduce class.

Crit stress is good for maintaining nominal stress levels as you normally fight. It doesn't really make a dent if you get spammed a lot by stress attacks or crit by one.

It's just a bit too strong later on when you clear things so fast. Although tbqh the level 5 dungeon buffs are pretty noticeable and I have to use some stress reduction stuff now. I think they are getting pretty close which is great since the game came out on EA like a week ago.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I think the stress reducing battle abilities are pretty weird and should just be removed. They don't really encourage any kind of interesting or tactical play. They're better now that you can't stall without racking up stress though.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

I think the stress reducing battle abilities are pretty weird and should just be removed. They don't really encourage any kind of interesting or tactical play. They're better now that you can't stall without racking up stress though.

I think they would work better as gaining stress resistance (instead of stress reduction), in one of two ways:
A) Jester plays his song, everyone gets a buff that gives 33% (or whatever) chance to not gain stress when something stressful happens.
or
B) Jester plays his song, everyone gets a buff that reduces incoming stress amounts by 33% (or whatever).

You could even split those type of effects up between different characters (like, Crusaders get the B version instead of the single heal to help prevent a certain party member from getting overstressed, or the Jester get the A version to protect everyone from party wide crits/full party stressors).

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Using it to make monsters go POOF is a different issue.

My issue with it -- and the reason I don't use it -- is that it almost entirely eliminates the risk factor from the game, and at virtually no cost.

Abandoning the run itself causes a huge stress increase for the team, which makes players not want to do it unless it's absolutely necessary.

Retreating though is basically an almost-free get-out-of-jail card. Sure it can fail, sure the enemy can get free attacks or whatever, but it's basically too easy to do unless you have someone at Death's Door or with an affliction that makes them refuse to retreat.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
If you retreat from fights you should get the "Bitchmade" affliction, but in real life

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

enraged_camel posted:

My issue with it -- and the reason I don't use it -- is that it almost entirely eliminates the risk factor from the game, and at virtually no cost.

Abandoning the run itself causes a huge stress increase for the team, which makes players not want to do it unless it's absolutely necessary.

Retreating though is basically an almost-free get-out-of-jail card. Sure it can fail, sure the enemy can get free attacks or whatever, but it's basically too easy to do unless you have someone at Death's Door or with an affliction that makes them refuse to retreat.

Ok, I can see that. I can see your point about a small stress hit but I think it'd be better to do 1-10 randomly each than just a flat 10 each.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

With the light level at 0 you get enough crits to keep it low. I can usually use a team on two quests before having to have them relieve stress.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I'd probably say that to make being surprised more dangerous and to discourage retreating the enemies should get a small speed buff for that round. As is you have every chance to go first despite being surprised. If you have to endure a round of the enemy wailing on you, that reduces the benefits of retreating significantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I think if low light runs actually end up being easier due to the number of crits you get they need to rebalance that aspect of the game.