Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Dead of Winter is going to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm literally incapable of holding that many distinct opinions on that many games all at once.

No one is. Awards are interesting as an examination of personal taste (when it's one person or a small group of people) or the zeitgeist of a community (when it's mass voting) but you're not getting any objectivity (if you're still pretending that exists) or even a true subjective ranking.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yeah I don't know, I should just vote for Tuscany because that's what I've played. That and Cash & Guns. Literally never played any other of those games. But I guess if a group of people want to assemble a giant list like that and think it means something, more power to them.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

fozzy fosbourne posted:

What do you folks think of the Golden Geek nominees for 2014? https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1317685/2014-golden-geek-awards-nominees-announced-vote-no

Which games on this list will we still be talking about in 3-5 years?

Where the gently caress is Tragedy Looper?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
The Tragedy Looper fans didn't vote enough? There aren't enough of them? Whatever but remember this list was initially culled from votes by the BGG community.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Tragedy Looper seems like it could use a little more hype. There were some threads on reddit, but I never see it come up in WSIG types of threads there or on BGG. Could really use a SU&SD since it seems like it's right in their wheelhouse.

E: Actually, Tragedy Looper is listed as being published in 2011 on BGG. So maybe it's ineligible?

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 12, 2015

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
How much replay value does Tragedy looper have though?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

as much as your imagination

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

Assuming you play with the same people for every game and have zero interest in making your own scenarios (which the game comes with detailed instructions for), you'd get 10 plays out of it. Which, considering its price, is still a pretty good value. The biggest issue for TL and playability, in my opinion, is that it's very difficult to have a combination of experienced and new players.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Seeing Aquasphere on the list reminded me i was waiting for that to come out. Now that it's out has anyone had a chance to try it? It looked fun and was thinking of picking it up but I was hoping to hear some thoughts on it before I throw money at it

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I would be shocked if the average voter in this contest played these games more than 5-6 times tops, and probably no more than 5-6 times ever. My suspicion comes from my perception that the overwhelming majority of BGG reviews and published opinions come after the first playthrough and there doesn't seem to be an emphasis on playing a game few times to really get an accurate feel for it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

I don't know where this sentiment about Tragedy Looper only having 10 scenarios comes from. The instructions make it pretty clear the scenarios it comes with are only examples, you are supposed to make your own like you are running a D&D game. I guess creating your own content is an alien concept to boardgamers? :shrug:

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Seeing Aquasphere on the list reminded me i was waiting for that to come out. Now that it's out has anyone had a chance to try it? It looked fun and was thinking of picking it up but I was hoping to hear some thoughts on it before I throw money at it

Aquasphere is alright. It's not as good as Trajan, and it's not as bad as Bora Bora. I wrote up a more detailed description back in December I think, but the bottom line is that it's a perfectly fine Feld game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Orleans, Five Tribes and Deus are the only games on that list that people will maybe be talking about in five years.

Oh, and Xia, but they'll be saying how loving terrible it is.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Libertalia, Terra Mystica Fire & Ice, and Mage Knight: Lost Legion are back in stock at CSI

also Dead of Winter

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Jedit posted:

"All right folks it's been a great year but the winner is....."

*rolls a D20*

*die shows 20*

"... Xia!"

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Jedit posted:

Orleans, Five Tribes and Deus are the only games on that list that people will maybe be talking about in five years.

Luckily Xia is on like 5 of the lists, so it's got hope of winning! Most Innovative, definitely!

(The designer is a friendly guy that encouraged people from the KS to visit BGG a lot, so polls have a bit of backing from them)

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Libertalia, Terra Mystica Fire & Ice, and Mage Knight: Lost Legion are back in stock at CSI

also Dead of Winter

Space Alert is the daily deal at Cardhaus -- $31.99: http://www.cardhaus.com/catalog/board_games/space_alert/195152

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Also, Agricola is at an all time low on Amazon. $36.23 puts it about 40 cents less than the previous all time low.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

also Dead of Winter

omgomgomg Finally! I've been wanting to pick up the Mage Knight expansions.
...now how do I fill out my 100$ for free shipping...

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Chomp8645 posted:

"All right folks it's been a great year but the winner is....."

*rolls a D20*

*die shows 20*

"... Xia!"

sweeeet +1 fame for me

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

ChiTownEddie posted:

omgomgomg Finally! I've been wanting to pick up the Mage Knight expansions.
...now how do I fill out my 100$ for free shipping...

Watcher in the Water and Redhorn Gate are finally back in stock, Bro of the Rings, although I think you have everything now right?

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I had Aquasphere in my hand yesterday but passed on it. My store also had Mythopia and Deus in stock, but I haven't really read much about either.

They also had Northwest Passage, which I vaguely recall reading about a long time ago when it was in development. I wonder if the final product turned out any good.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Guys if you want an economic board game like game on a computer, look no further than Offworld Trading Company. It's in Early Access on Steam, $36.99 until 2/19 then $39.99. It's totally market driven with nastiness, can't get much better than that :). Watch the tutorials to get a sense of how it plays.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCasmHPTajRU9kXWHjJqJD_g

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Watcher in the Water and Redhorn Gate are finally back in stock, Bro of the Rings, although I think you have everything now right?

Haha, got Dwarrodelf, but I'll probably start filling out the Against the Shadow (have HoN and Steward's Fear) and Ringmaker cycles (have none).

E: haha. To get VoI + 3 AtS packs (only ones in stock) + Another Timeline = perfect amount.

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 12, 2015

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Lorini posted:

Guys if you want an economic board game like game on a computer, look no further than Offworld Trading Company. It's in Early Access on Steam, $36.99 until 2/19 then $39.99. It's totally market driven with nastiness, can't get much better than that :). Watch the tutorials to get a sense of how it plays.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCasmHPTajRU9kXWHjJqJD_g

I can't watch the video until I get home but I can't imagine anything in it that would convince me to spend $36.99 on an early access digital board game.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Countblanc posted:

Assuming you play with the same people for every game and have zero interest in making your own scenarios (which the game comes with detailed instructions for), you'd get 10 plays out of it. Which, considering its price, is still a pretty good value. The biggest issue for TL and playability, in my opinion, is that it's very difficult to have a combination of experienced and new players.

Yeah, this is the thing stopping me from getting Tragedy Looper then. Thanks.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I love this title :haw:

This Town Ain't Big Enough for the 2-4 Of Us

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

Chomp8645 posted:

I can't watch the video until I get home but I can't imagine anything in it that would convince me to spend $36.99 on an early access digital board game.

You'll be relieved to know it looks to be a Civ-like and not a boardgame at all!

So no clue why it was posted about here.

e: Though it does look neat, it just doesn't seem boardgame esque at all to me.

Anniversary fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 12, 2015

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Big McHuge posted:

I had Aquasphere in my hand yesterday but passed on it. My store also had Mythopia and Deus in stock, but I haven't really read much about either.

They also had Northwest Passage, which I vaguely recall reading about a long time ago when it was in development. I wonder if the final product turned out any good.

Deus is a very nice tableau builder/area control game that we overlooked at Essen because the board looks crappy. (Well, I say "we" - I was going to buy it on the way out on Sunday, but the others didn't want to hang around while I queued.)

Mythotopia is a multiplayer refinement of A Few Acres of Snow with the most egregious issues taken out. The main complaint people have with it is that it lacks theme.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
drat. The owner of Game Salute has been leading me on for a month and a half now with his Keyflower restock. He keeps telling me "next week". I wonder if the price difference will even be worth the wait. I can get it for around 65 bucks on amazon right now. I'm assuming game salute will sell it for around 50.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Megasabin posted:

drat. The owner of Game Salute has been leading me on for a month and a half now with his Keyflower restock. He keeps telling me "next week". I wonder if the price difference will even be worth the wait. I can get it for around 65 bucks on amazon right now. I'm assuming game salute will sell it for around 50.

I bought Keyflower and Farmers expansion from Amazon.co.uk. Both + shipping was still less than Gamesalute retail.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Crackbone posted:

I bought Keyflower and Farmers expansion from Amazon.co.uk. Both + shipping was still less than Gamesalute retail.

Holy poo poo. You are a god send. Its 50 bucks with 5-10 days of shipping. Farmers is really cheap too. Is it worth picking up off the bat or should I stick with the base game?

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

Mister Sinewave posted:

I love this title :haw:

This Town Ain't Big Enough for the 2-4 Of Us

This was one if Tasty Minstrel's little Kickstarter games. I backed because it was only $5, but I have yet to actually play it. It looks like a fairly light area control game about cattle ranches.

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
Speaking of Tasty Minstrel Games, I just want to remind everyone that Cube Quest is $20 on Amazon, and is a superlative dexterity game. It involves a point buy army of various little dice soldiers that you flick at your opponents dice to try and knock their king off the board. It's Just Fun.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Megasabin posted:

Holy poo poo. You are a god send. Its 50 bucks with 5-10 days of shipping. Farmers is really cheap too. Is it worth picking up off the bat or should I stick with the base game?

If you're playing with 5 or 6 players regularly, then yes because the core game with that many players uses the majority of the tiles so there will be less variation from game to game. Farmers adds more things to go for and more importantly a bunch more tiles so there will be more variety from game to game. If you're just playing with 2-4 you could probably hold off.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Weird. For all copies of Keyflower the Farmers on amazon.uk it says the only langauge is german. Also one of the alternate sellers is selling Farmers for 9 pounds, and they seem to have respectable reviews... I'm not sure how to verify that the tiles would be in English or not, and I'd prefer not to have german labeled tiles.

Here is the link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Keyflower-The-Farmers-KEYF/dp/B00GEB7GPQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1423780300&sr=8-2&keywords=keyflower

The reviews at the bottom of the page are in English, and don't mention any language issues, but that might not necessarily mean anything.

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 12, 2015

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

What do you folks think of the Golden Geek nominees for 2014? https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1317685/2014-golden-geek-awards-nominees-announced-vote-no

Which games on this list will we still be talking about in 3-5 years?

All I'm getting from this is that 2014 was not a good year for board game releases.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Bubble-T posted:

All I'm getting from this is that 2014 was not a good year for board game releases.

It was actually a really good year. A lot of the good ones didn't make the shortlist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Megasabin posted:

Weird. For all copies of Keyflower the Farmers on amazon.uk it says the only langauge is german. Also one of the alternate sellers is selling Farmers for 9 pounds, and they seem to have respectable reviews... I'm not sure how to verify that the tiles would be in English or not, and I'd prefer not to have german labeled tiles.

Here is the link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Keyflower-The-Farmers-KEYF/dp/B00GEB7GPQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1423780300&sr=8-2&keywords=keyflower

The reviews at the bottom of the page are in English, and don't mention any language issues, but that might not necessarily mean anything.

The tiles have both the German and English names on them.