Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The specifics are going to depend on the policy, but every one I've ever read explicitly states that any theft of your property is covered, regardless of where it happens.

I'm not sure what the rules about buying it, I can't imagine they'd refuse anyone wanting to give them money. But maybe if they know you own a home they'll push super hard to upsell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
You probably have at least a $500 deductible though (I think mine is $1k), so not worthwhile to file a claim for most things that could get lifted from the locker room.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Thufir posted:

You probably have at least a $500 deductible though (I think mine is $1k), so not worthwhile to file a claim for most things that could get lifted from the locker room.

Yeah, I just leave my wedding band at home and my wallet/phone in the car. Seems better just not to risk it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

My wedding band is the cheapest thing I take in the locker room aside from maybe my tshirt

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Also your renter insurance rates skyrocket if you make a claim. Even if you lose a $700 phone it's not worth making the claim to get $200 after the deductible.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Just lock the drat doors and take the key to the bench.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Wedding bands are for tryhards.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Vital Signs posted:

Just lock the drat doors and take the key to the bench.

You have locking locker rooms with keys? Fancy

Ours just smell/look like poo poo and have things like this written on them

Must be the soup du jour

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
The locked door is a good thing to do, but some rinks don't even have that, not to mention shared bathroom doors that lead to each other. Aside from completely leaving all valuables at home, a goodie bag in the waterbottle spaces of the benchs' boards is the best proactive thing you can do.

EDIT: Actually, another good system is combo lockboxes. The Pond in Austin has cube of these installed on a wall in front of the front desk. Though this would involve asking the rink to spend money.

Bootcha fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 12, 2015

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Verman posted:

You have locking locker rooms with keys? Fancy

Ours just smell/look like poo poo and have things like this written on them

Must be the soup du jour
I guess maybe it's just a thing in my area, but growing up and traveling to rinks across state/Canada I never came across a rink that didn't have a lock for the lockeroom. Usually there is a turn key for the main door and some sort of latch for the bathroom (to keep people from the shared bathroom from entering). It really doesn't cost a rink that much to do and should be standard practice. Taking stuff to the bench is a good idea if you can't convince them to install locks.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
The rink we play out of has these massive annoying loving boxes around the locking latch on the doors. It's nice that you can lock them obviously, but the boxes make them really hard to lock and unlock, and if your lock is a bit too big it wont work.

After games I hang out on the ice and stretch for a bit so I dont have to wait in the hallway for the guy who took the key to fumble with unlocking it.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
I've played at more rinks where you have to change in the lobby than rinks with locking lockerrooms.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I've played at more rinks where you have to change in the lobby than rinks with locking lockerrooms.

This rink in La Jolla, there is only two tiny locker rooms, which you get before games, post games you have to get changed on the benches behind the players benches, and yes, that is the mall Food Court overlooking it all.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Locks? My locker room doesn't even have a door

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I guess I should count myself lucky that the biggest problem I have at my rink is the locker rooms smell like stale piss.

It's a ritual, whoever shows up first props the door open to air it out before the rest of the group shows up.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I grew up playing in this glorious piece of Americana

It was absolutely glorious, like kid heaven. The top floor was bowling (meh) and one of the biggest arcades in the country (AWESOME) that overlooked the rink on the bottom level. So, you got the awesome arcade to fart around in before/after games, plus you always had drunk bowlers who wanted to watch little kid hockey from the upper deck and that added a real professional flair to things.

I was legit sad when it closed down a few years ago and now it is kind of decrepit. The last time I was in Kansas City I ran like 8 miles in order to see the thing.

BUT the county just paid like $20m to turn it into a "national suburbia" museum which obnoxiously will not feature the ice rink.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
The rink I'm playing at these days is like 5 months old and super nice http://predators.nhl.com/club/microhome.htm?location=/predsice :smug:

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Yes, you goons, I know they got robbed at the rink, renters covers it. I have AAA and I'm ridiculously covered for 23k (WAY more than I need but for some reason that's the number) with a 125 dollars a year but it takes 50 off my auto insurance. It was only 80 but I moved and got a lovely agent that asked me questions I couldn't give a straight answer for ("does the kitchen have a breakfast nook?" "Uhhh, I guess it has something like that but I eat in my room.") and took the answer that suited her best.

Anyways the policy rules and my regular agent said they'd cut me a check to buy all new gear if my stuff got ripped off. Hopefully I don't ever need ot use it but it's not to not have to worry about where my bag is and who can get to it at all times.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Honestly my biggest fear is that someone will steal my boots and I won't be able to get home.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Easiest solution is to play hockey in places where nobody's a loser jerk thief :canada:

(Everyone on PEI knows everybody else, especially in hockey, it's absurd)

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

I got to play at Nassau Coliseum tonight directly after the Isles vs Leafs game ended. It was awesome. The "locker room" was just an area in the basement which they put temporary curtains around, but we could see the Leafs players leaving since it was right where they exited the rink. Saw them load up on their bus too. The boards are short and really easy to jump over. Also the top of the boards are padded with a rubber like material. The glass has a real great clink sound to it too, felt great every time I cleared it off the glass, which seemed like every time since I think the boards aren't high. Shooting the puck off the boards also gave off a really different dampened boom, rather than the hard clack at a normal rink. I always wondered why when I play I don't get those awesome sounds like I hear during NHL games, but tonight it was all there.

We had a large crowd of family from both teams watching. Of course since it was the first time in 5 years any one in my family has seen me play, we proceed to go down 5-0. We made it respectable in the third by scoring 2 at least. Regardless, it was a lot of fun to play there. Guy on the team who is the biggest Isles fan probably had the best night of his life: name on the big board by taking a penalty, goal to snap the shutout, lap around the ice post-game ending with kissing the logo at center ice.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

After the Kings game tonight I ran into like 10 of the Flames player dads on the yearly dads trip. It was super neat and even though they lost I could tell they were still really happy to be a part of the whole thing.

Between this and the post above I just want to say hockey is the best thing

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

sellouts posted:

hockey is the best thing

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
My dad took some video of me skating yesterday (yes I'm a 29 year old man who frequently goes skating with his parents) and I noticed I'm leaning forward/slouching when I skate rather than getting into a proper athletic stance. Is there a good way to enforce better posture in myself? I think I'm trying to get low and just doing it the wrong way (knees bent, but leaning forward at the waist and then looking up).

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

prom candy posted:

My dad took some video of me skating yesterday (yes I'm a 29 year old man who frequently goes skating with his parents) and I noticed I'm leaning forward/slouching when I skate rather than getting into a proper athletic stance. Is there a good way to enforce better posture in myself? I think I'm trying to get low and just doing it the wrong way (knees bent, but leaning forward at the waist and then looking up).

I would go skating with my parents all the time if I lived near them, too.

How is your quad strength? At least with lifting, the theory I've heard is that people pull forward like that to compensate for not feeling strong enough in the quads to maintain a good position. The other thing I can think of is if you're somehow too far back on your heels and trying to compensate for that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My mom and one of my sisters actually flew out to visit so they could watch me play. :colbert:

Okay so it had been years since I'd seen them and it was around my birthday, but hockey was the catalyst.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Pinky Artichoke posted:

How is your quad strength? At least with lifting, the theory I've heard is that people pull forward like that to compensate for not feeling strong enough in the quads to maintain a good position. The other thing I can think of is if you're somehow too far back on your heels and trying to compensate for that.

Pretty meh, I haven't lifted since 2012 and I don't really intend to start again (I find it SO boring). In a proper hockey stance where do I want the weight in my feet to be? I think maybe I am too far back on my heels because when I get some speed while skating backwards I almost always slip up and almost fall over backwards.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

prom candy posted:

Pretty meh, I haven't lifted since 2012 and I don't really intend to start again (I find it SO boring). In a proper hockey stance where do I want the weight in my feet to be? I think maybe I am too far back on my heels because when I get some speed while skating backwards I almost always slip up and almost fall over backwards.

Well, going backwards is different: you want weight towards the back of your foot because if you were on your toes you would be unstable and slow. Going forward however you want your weight over your forefoot.

I think most athletic people who are not outlyers in bodyweight are probably strong enough to hold themselves up properly without a lifting routine. I do play with a couple people who are chronically too weak but they tend to be bigger guys/gals who don't do any other sort of physical activity.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
So I got me some new skates about a month ago or so and have taken them out for 6-7 skating sessions so far and mother-of-loving-pearl do I get, hmm, what I can only guess are cramps right in the dead center of my feet. Not in the arch, or the top part but like dead center. Am I tying too tight? Lace bite? I got sized up and cooked and it seemed okay but daaaaaamn does it get uncomfortable in there pretty much on the first lap and never like FULLY goes away but does lessen a bit as I warm up and get going. Clearly I'm doing something wrong... I kind of wonder if my foot isn't being allowed enough room to expand width-wise...?

Tips/tricks/advice? This same pain has happened from time to time on some poo poo, random rental skates but not always.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Stop lacing your skates so tight in the middle and get a bunga pad if you need one.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

sellouts posted:

Stop lacing your skates so tight in the middle and get a bunga pad if you need one.

Yeah I loosened them up in the middle the other night but no bueno. I'll keep fiddling with them. :shrug: Hopefully it's just as simple as "they'll be better once broken in more" but maaaaan oh man does it make the first 20-30 mins not fun.

Ed: Something I've always wondered: Is "lace bite" more of a surface, it's-hurting-your-skin thing more than a makes-inside-of-foot-hurt thing? Cause it's not like it's chaffing but more cramp-feeling.

Ed 2: After consulting Dr. Google it's definitely not Lace Bite

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 14, 2015

xryokus
Aug 25, 2006
The world will change.

Duke Chin posted:

Yeah I loosened them up in the middle the other night but no bueno. I'll keep fiddling with them. :shrug: Hopefully it's just as simple as "they'll be better once broken in more" but maaaaan oh man does it make the first 20-30 mins not fun.

Ed: Something I've always wondered: Is "lace bite" more of a surface, it's-hurting-your-skin thing more than a makes-inside-of-foot-hurt thing? Cause it's not like it's chaffing but more cramp-feeling.

I used to get that until I started wearing compression socks and put superfeet in my skates. I also do the 3x3x3 lace tightening method. No idea if it'll work for you but it worked for me.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

xryokus posted:

I used to get that until I started wearing compression socks and put superfeet in my skates. I also do the 3x3x3 lace tightening method. No idea if it'll work for you but it worked for me.

Yeah I've got the neon green superfeet in there since the second time I took these skates out. What's a good compression sock and this 3x3x3 lace method ?

xryokus
Aug 25, 2006
The world will change.

Duke Chin posted:

Yeah I've got the neon green superfeet in there since the second time I took these skates out. What's a good compression sock and this 3x3x3 lace method ?

Bottom 3 extra tight, next 3 just tight, top 3 extra tight. I use the bright yellow superfeet, as they're designed for skates. I also have the green ones but they are not as good. I have a pair of 2XU compression socks which are awesome. I also have some Reebok 16k's which are cheaper but honestly they do the job as well.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

xryokus posted:

Bottom 3 extra tight, next 3 just tight, top 3 extra tight.
Oh, hah, duh.

xryokus posted:

I have a pair of 2XU compression socks which are awesome.
<googles> $50+ for socks?!? (sorry my old man :homebrew: gland is kicking in)

xryokus posted:

Reebok 16k's which are cheaper but honestly they do the job as well.
Cool, thanks for all the info. I'll keep on sliding on and just fiddle with the laces more and try some socks. Who knew I had wee sensitive feet?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Duke Chin posted:

I think it's still lace bite or whatever you want to call your problems with lacing skates. and I think you should loosen skates before you step on ice, get a cheap bunga pad if you must.

Everyone has different feet but in tyool 2015 I don't think anyone should be in excruciating pain when it comes to new skates as long as they fit properly.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Yeah I'm gonna see about getting some time in later today and I'll screw around with the laces some more and try going ultra loose in that area on the top of my foot. :shrug:

Thx fellers

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.

Duke Chin posted:

I used to get a throbbing pain in my foot while skating until I loosened my skates up (especially around the ankles), you might be cutting off some blood flow to your foot from a different part of the skate if you're tying a section too tightly

Are you by chance flat footed? The green superfeet may be a bit too thick for hockey skates (judging by the green version available on their website). I would suggest switching to the yellow superfeet or trying out your stock insoles to see if the pain subsides at all, as well as trying a thinner material sock to help alleviate some of the pressure if the cramps are being caused by a lack of room in the boot

dyn
Jan 9, 2005

Barn duelin' since '07

communist kangaroo posted:

I used to get a throbbing pain in my foot while skating until I loosened my skates up (especially around the ankles), you might be cutting off some blood flow to your foot from a different part of the skate if you're tying a section too tightly

Are you by chance flat footed? The green superfeet may be a bit too thick for hockey skates (judging by the green version available on their website). I would suggest switching to the yellow superfeet or trying out your stock insoles to see if the pain subsides at all, as well as trying a thinner material sock to help alleviate some of the pressure if the cramps are being caused by a lack of room in the boot

I have to agree with this, especially the thinner socks. I see guys all the time, even NHL players, wearing those super thick socks and I have no idea how they don't hurt even when the skates are tied loose. Switching to a thinner sock along with tying a looser skate helped alleviate the foot pain I was having. I use the "Elite Pro" socks but I can't seem to find them on the SportChek website anymore. Might be worth going to your local sport shop and seeing if you can find any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

D C posted:

This rink in La Jolla, there is only two tiny locker rooms, which you get before games, post games you have to get changed on the benches behind the players benches, and yes, that is the mall Food Court overlooking it all.

haha I played a few college games there -- there actually is a locker room way in the back left of that picture but it's small and terrible

e: oh you said there are two locker rooms -- yeah that rink is awful, the ice is bad too

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 14, 2015