Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Stultus Maximus posted:

That would require a BM learning to read and write.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
a sentient bm

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Stultus Maximus posted:

or during the day??

Why are naps so loving taboo in the Military? Look man you're jerking off and playing video games what's the different if I sleep we're both doing nothing

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

KetTarma posted:

:staredog:

You got to sleep every night??

Well, deployment is where we really chopped things up. We split everyone up into static watches. So you'd stand both 12-3 for two weeks, the you'd shift to the 9-12. We were able to get most watches manned this way across the entire ship. There were some people still on five and dimes, but most people were in their twice a day 3 hour static rotations.

But yeah, my last captain emphasized that he didn't want overly tired people on watch. He hated that part of SWO culture and was actually doing something to change it. This wasn't just for officers, mind you. This was his policy shipwide. When we were really busting our hump, I told my guys to catch it whenever they can but don't let work slide off. They did and didn't so it worked out well.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Why are naps so loving taboo in the Military? Look man you're jerking off and playing video games what's the different if I sleep we're both doing nothing

They aren't if you have a sensible command.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

sensible command

a what?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Unicorns exist, my friend.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I got the evil eye if I tried to sleep or work out any time other than taps-rev or dinner.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Nothing worse than getting caught sleeping in the outboard of radio by the loving nav. Dude was prior enlisted radioman so he totally knew what went on which is how he kept catching us sleeping there.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Nothing worse than getting caught sleeping in the outboard of radio by the loving nav. Dude was prior enlisted radioman so he totally knew what went on which is how he kept catching us sleeping there.

Stop sleeping on watch dammit!

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Applewhite posted:

Stop sleeping on watch dammit!

Obviously you've never checked in on a CIC during midwatch. At least I made my guys wake up when people came into the spaces, those guys were out cold.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Nick Soapdish posted:

Obviously you've never checked in on a CIC during midwatch. At least I made my guys wake up when people came into the spaces, those guys were out cold.

I was OIDIVO on my first tour and I basically went from one end of CIC to the other waking people up all watch (the stbd side would fall asleep as soon as I got finished waking up the port and vice versa)

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
There is no sleep better than console sleep.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
:yikes:

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
im asleep on watch right now

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
#JustNavyThings

That warm fuzzy feeling you get when you're the first guy in line for the gate to turn his headlights off for the sentry and everyone behind you starts to turn theirs off, too.

Coming off the 2-7 QD watch on a Saturday morning and rolling straight into your rack after Duty Section Turnover.

When your watch is preempted by an UNREP and you're not on the UNREP watchbill and you sleep through the whole thing.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:

Applewhite posted:

#JustNavyThings

That warm fuzzy feeling you get when you're the first guy in line for the gate to turn his headlights off for the sentry and everyone behind you starts to turn theirs off, too.

That feeling when driving out the gate someone turns their lights on after you flash yours at them

Analogical fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 12, 2015

BovineAdapter
Jan 5, 2007
Dr3 Noodle

Analogical posted:

I can only imagine we're sweeping p-ways out there.

ArLing surface DIRSUP has always been the most boring thing on the planet. In the Med we were never close enough to get anything of substance but the trips were only about a month at a whack and you'd normally pick the ship up/get off the ship in nice Mediterranean ports. In 5th FLT, I spent more time in the Arabian Sea/HOA area reading pocket lint from the hadjis on Pakistani or Iranian dhows. About the best those kids can hope for is to get SW on a small boy or SW/AW if they're on a gator/carrier. Other than that, it's 6 months of boredom. The only thing worse than that is riding boats out of NIOC GA. Day-long flights to Bahrain (oh boy, only been there a million times) with the obligatory Dubai port call. Or maybe Fujairah if you get really unlucky.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

BovineAdapter posted:

ArLing surface DIRSUP has always been the most boring thing on the planet. In the Med we were never close enough to get anything of substance but the trips were only about a month at a whack and you'd normally pick the ship up/get off the ship in nice Mediterranean ports. In 5th FLT, I spent more time in the Arabian Sea/HOA area reading pocket lint from the hadjis on Pakistani or Iranian dhows. About the best those kids can hope for is to get SW on a small boy or SW/AW if they're on a gator/carrier. Other than that, it's 6 months of boredom. The only thing worse than that is riding boats out of NIOC GA. Day-long flights to Bahrain (oh boy, only been there a million times) with the obligatory Dubai port call. Or maybe Fujairah if you get really unlucky.

Out of NIOC GA is what I'm looking at, so noted. I'd heard along the same lines from a few other DIRSUPers down here. It's what the detailer is handing out right now though, so I'm guessing a bunch of people just got out. All this ambiguity in what I'm going to be doing is killing me. I thought about seeing if I can swap to aircrew out of GA, but even that seems to be boiling down to nothing now that we can do the work a P-3 crew would by just streaming all the data back to shore, which is basically what 1/3rd of GA's sailors do right now.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Lazy Navy recruiters at my university's career fair weren't even wearing uniforms, just Navy polo shirts. They could have tried to impress terrible undergrad students wear SDBs or even khakis.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

College seems like forever away when I can barely get two classes done a semester. I see my estimated graduation date and I weep.

BovineAdapter
Jan 5, 2007
Dr3 Noodle

Analogical posted:

I'm guessing a bunch of people just got out.

Right before I retired, I'd heard that DIRSUP orders for PO2 and PO3 were going to be hard to come by for NIOC-G. I don't recall the reasoning at the time but it would make sense that the billets might have been almost completely filled then. Aircrew wouldn't be bad. I know some folks still doing it and they're still getting to go to Sigonella and Souda. Unfortunately you'd also stand a chance at getting sent to Bahrain or Al Udeid, depending on mission requirements or other priorities.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I get the worst roommates. Just walked in on my roomies giving the D to someone. Seriously he knew when my lunch hour was.

Didn't even offer to Eiffel Tower it.

Dick.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

LingcodKilla posted:

I get the worst roommates. Just walked in on my roomies giving the D to someone. Seriously he knew when my lunch hour was.

Dick.

The pro move is to not wait for the invite.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Nick Soapdish posted:

Lazy Navy recruiters at my university's career fair weren't even wearing uniforms, just Navy polo shirts. They could have tried to impress terrible undergrad students wear SDBs or even khakis.

Don't they know by now that 90% of people join for the uniform?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

UoI posted:

Don't they know by now that 90% of people join for the uniform?

I certainly did.
Then I found out they don't do the WWII Khaki jacket anymore. I was super excited for that period in 2010 or so when they looked like they were gonna bring it back but it looks like that fell through :(

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Dick.

Didn't even fist bump a bro. LingcodKilla do you think comraderie in are Navy is a loving game?

Analogical
May 20, 2013

NWUs are the stupidest poo poo and I refuse to wear them most of the time. Now I hear we're getting lighter/different versions of NWUs this year, and new coveralls for ships, where NWUs will not be worn as often (are they worn on ships? I don't even know what people look like on ships, maybe they meant.. ship... shore.. sailors?)

I usually wear NSUs with the sweater constantly. I hate how business casual NSUs make us look, all I want is a god drat long sleeve option. Are we getting a joint uniform or what? I kept hearing words about that.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
I like NWU's because I don't have to give a gently caress about throwing them in a pile when I get home and wearing them 4 days in a row. I also like wearing the black fleece -- does a poo poo job of keeping you warm but it looks cool.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Applewhite posted:

I certainly did.
Then I found out they don't do the WWII Khaki jacket anymore. I was super excited for that period in 2010 or so when they looked like they were gonna bring it back but it looks like that fell through :(

You and Mullen both.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Pandasmores posted:

Didn't even fist bump a bro. LingcodKilla do you think comraderie in are Navy is a loving game?

All I did was look at my bed to make sure they weren't using my pillows and walked out.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Analogical posted:

NWUs are the stupidest poo poo and I refuse to wear them most of the time. Now I hear we're getting lighter/different versions of NWUs this year, and new coveralls for ships, where NWUs will not be worn as often (are they worn on ships? I don't even know what people look like on ships, maybe they meant.. ship... shore.. sailors?)

I usually wear NSUs with the sweater constantly. I hate how business casual NSUs make us look, all I want is a god drat long sleeve option. Are we getting a joint uniform or what? I kept hearing words about that.

We used to wear NSUs daily and then they switched it to like every Friday or something. NWUs all day every day. I hear the dudes on the ships use the NWUs, except for some that are like Coveralls every day. Probably has to do moreso with your job. Now that I think about it, I have never worn my coveralls since they were issued to me.

LingcodKilla, they used your pillows to support her rear end the moment you left.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

They wear NWUs way too much on ship. In port you kind of have to because of the dumb coverall wear rules. They did get nice new fire retardant coveralls fairy recently that are worn more. I think they're red

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Applewhite posted:

I was OIDIVO on my first tour and I basically went from one end of CIC to the other waking people up all watch (the stbd side would fall asleep as soon as I got finished waking up the port and vice versa)

7thflt.txt

I have definitely stood bridge watches as OOD where literally the entire bridge and all of CIC are, if even only for a few brief seconds, simultaneously asleep. No, seriously. Used to have to IVICS the gently caress out of combat.

I went from 5 n' dimes to static watches and opted for the mid...It's the quietest.

Akula Raskolnikova
May 12, 2013
This is kind of a shot in the dark, but does anyone know of somewhere in the Hampton Roads area with a machine shop that might let someone use it for a few hours?

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

LingcodKilla posted:

Dick.

Assuming this was dude on dude action.

nice

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

It's the Navy. Didn't think that really mattered.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

LingcodKilla posted:

All I did was look at my bed to make sure they weren't using my pillows and walked out.

You should have just sat down and hung out. Amateur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Do what one guy on my boat did when he walked in on another dude loving a fattie: take a picture. That poo poo was HILARIOUS.

• Locked thread