Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Linedance posted:

The Ultimate Aviation Troll

Look, I operate a completely legitimate aerial surveying business, and part of that job is knowing the exact line of sight range from the white house to Ronald Reagan airport. If you can think of a better way if finding that out than unmanned autonomous drones with multi-Watt, multi spectrum lasers mounted to them, I'd like to hear it.

National airport :corsair: :colbert:

also, I get your joke, but I'd be a lot more impressed if you were lasing between Dulles and the white house. It really is way out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Mazz posted:

Only the Burkes before Flight IIA have the Harpoons, which are the ones built before 2002, or around half if you don't count the ones built or planned. The Ticos are in a weird position where they could all be retired as early as 2028 with no planned replacement boat even getting started until the mid 2020s because the Ohio replacements (and Fords) are going to hoover up all the navy's shipbuilding funds for the next decade.

The Harpoon is also really, really lovely in comparison to more modern ASMs, especially as it cannot be launched from a Mk 41/57. The Block IV Tomahawk is one part of LRASM. Things will get interesting after they actually get to Increment 2, and especially once they get around to LRASM-B, which I really hope they actually follow through on.

This article will tell you a good amount about the LRASM and US ASMs in general.
https://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/lrasm-missiles-reaching-for-a-long-reach-punch-06752/

Yeah, the fact we don't utilize our VLS capability for anti-surface missiles is a tragedy IMO. Its about time they started making progress on this.

brains
May 12, 2004

slidebite posted:

Gonna attach a laser on my drone and fly somewhere with 10 miles of an airport now just to make people freak the gently caress out.

mlmp08 posted:

Make sure you are flying for commercial purposes without a license when doing so.
the trifecta

honestly i'm surprised this hasn't already happened lol

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
poo poo, the Have Glass Vipers look great.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It needs conformal fuel tanks to be a true big beautiful plane.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Vahakyla posted:

When did people start calling the Falcon the Viper? I get that it's not cool to name your manned airplanes after birds at the moment, but it's not like Falcon was a horrid name. :corsair:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Midjack posted:

When did people start calling the Falcon the Viper? I get that it's not cool to name your manned airplanes after birds at the moment, but it's not like Falcon was a horrid name. :corsair:

Right around the time it was entering service in the late 1970s. Viper is a reference to the Colonial Viper of Battlestar Galactica fame, which was airing at about that time.

E: Also the F-16 was a bit unusual in that it wasn't officially named until shortly before it entered service in 1980, which was two years after the first production-spec F-16 flew for the first time, and fully six years after the YF-16 flew.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 13, 2015

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Actually, I've always thought that the Falcon is a better name than Viper. I don't get it, either.

But yes, it does need CFT's. And another pilot.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Every time I see a what is supposed to be fighter carrying a bunch of stores under the wings, I get this image in my head of a heavyset old lady stomping down the street from the grocery with half a dozen plastic bags in each hand, all banging against one another.

F-16s are supposed to look like this

I can just hear it going *ahhhhhhhh*

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

Sagebrush posted:

Every time I see a what is supposed to be fighter carrying a bunch of stores under the wings, I get this image in my head of a heavyset old lady stomping down the street from the grocery with half a dozen plastic bags in each hand, all banging against one another.

Pierre Sprey account spotted

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Midjack posted:

Umm in the early 80's.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes

Sagebrush posted:

she got chunky

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Gibfender posted:

she got chunky

:fap::swoon:

Ooohhh...

Aaahh...

The Storm Falcon is, by far, the prettiest of them all.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Gibfender posted:

she got chunky

Wow somebody's been hitting the Haagen Dazs. :hampants:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

[quote="A Handed Missus" post="441499419"]

Those chemtrail tanks aren't going to last long spraying like that.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Gibfender posted:

she got chunky

:flashfap:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Not only do I think that the Sufa is the best iteration of the Falcon, but that out of Eagles, the THunder Eagle is the best.

Fat backs, dual seat and all that fuel just drives me up the wall.

:fap:

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

Lou Takki posted:

Yeah, the fact we don't utilize our VLS capability for anti-surface missiles is a tragedy IMO. Its about time they started making progress on this.
IIRC you can use Standard in anti-surface mode for nailing ships with a really, really fast missile. You're sort of limited to the horizon, but over-the-horizon targeting is really tricky if you don't want to accidentally nail random ships.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Vahakyla posted:

They look great when they're clean.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Gibfender posted:

she got chunky

Honestly, at this point, it just reminds me of this:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Any particular reason for the amraam on the tip and not the sidewinder or is there any difference?
e: 2 posts up

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

This is pretty badass (give it a bit though):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-C9Abz4msk

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

WaitMSLorAGL.jpg

To this day I still love the video from this, and watching the turbine core go rumbling down the airfield.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Well we're going to end up here anyway. So I will just jump straight to the Gringos

Dos Gringos - I Wish I Had A Gun Just Like The A-10: http://youtu.be/335GdTqtyLs

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Sagebrush posted:

But it isn't augering into the dirt in that picture :confused:

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Vahakyla posted:

Fat backs, dual seat and all that fuel just drives me up the wall.

:fap:

Oof. :fap: indeed.

As much as I love the F15 and F18, as well as some of the SU variants, I've really come around to the F22. I've been watching every video I can find of it, and my goodness, that thing just does everything so... gracefully.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Did someone say F-16?
THE VISTA IS THE BEST EXPERIMENTAL CRAFT EVERY gently caress ALL OF YOU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZQDwRKHCSQ

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

But it isn't augering into the dirt in that picture :confused:

All the pounds from air to ground.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

those of you fetishizing the LWF F-16s are like pedophiles fawning over prepubescent girls.

Gibfender posted:

she got chunky

I like my fighters aged and matured. Look at those curves :swoon:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Midjack posted:

Okay, so that's been shot down as being A Thing since pretty much the beginning. But on a similar note, does anyone actually call the Super Hornet "Super Bug"? I've literally never heard that IRL, especially from the guys that actually fly them; it's either just "hornet" if you don't care about distinguishing, or "rhino" or "super" if you do. Or "echo"/"foxtrot" if you want to specify one- or two-seater. I swear there's a little part of my brain that twitches every time I read "super bug".

e: and I can't exactly say the chunked-up F-16s look bad, I'm just amazed that they manage to stay airborne with all that poo poo on those tiny little wings.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I've always heard them called Hornets, whether they were present or not. Never heard Rhino, nor mention of "Super" unless specifically asked.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Okay, so that's been shot down as being A Thing since pretty much the beginning. But on a similar note, does anyone actually call the Super Hornet "Super Bug"? I've literally never heard that IRL, especially from the guys that actually fly them; it's either just "hornet" if you don't care about distinguishing, or "rhino" or "super" if you do. Or "echo"/"foxtrot" if you want to specify one- or two-seater. I swear there's a little part of my brain that twitches every time I read "super bug".

e: and I can't exactly say the chunked-up F-16s look bad, I'm just amazed that they manage to stay airborne with all that poo poo on those tiny little wings.

or Growler.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Did somebody say Battlestar Galactica and airplanes?!?!?

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Godholio posted:

I've always heard them called Hornets, whether they were present or not. Never heard Rhino, nor mention of "Super" unless specifically asked.

Wikipedia says they're called Rhinos to distinguish them from regular Hornets during carrier ops (Super Hornet and Hornet probably get mixed up in all the radio chatter and setting the catapult for the wrong one could be disastrous)

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Godholio posted:

I can't think of a time I haven't heard them referred to as Rhinos (from Navy folks).

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Wingnut Ninja posted:

In Australia I hear them referred to as "superbugs" all the time. It's probably the most common name I hear for them now that I think about it.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Lou Takki posted:

Yeah I may have exaggerated a bit but Harpoon is on the way out regardless, I'm glad they're spending a relative pittance of money to give TACTOM an anti-ship capability using existing (or soon to be bought) platforms.

Vahakyla posted:

They look.....weird up close.

Also Viper is a thing because the official name is Fighting Falcon and that is dumb as poo poo. It doesn't hurt that the LEX's give it a bit of a viper look from the right angle...but really it's about the dumb official name. See also, Thunderbolt II and Lancer.

Also also I dunno about IRL because I don't know any Navy pilots but super bug seems to be pretty common in other places (which isn't really worth much)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
From an open source website:

quote:

Have Glass consists of two efforts to reduce the RCS. Have Glass I adds an indium-tin-oxide layer to the gold tinted cockpit canopy. This is reflective to radar frequencies but actually reduces the plane's visibility to radar. An ordinary canopy would let radar signals straight through where they would strike the many edges and corners inside and bounce back strongly to the source, the reflective layer dissipates these signals instead. Have Glass II includes the Pacer Mud radar signature reduction and the Pacer Gem infrared signature reduction. Pacer Mud applies RAM coating to the forward and side facing areas of the F-16. These materials comprise ferromagnetic particles, embedded in a high-dielectric-constant polymer base. The dielectric material slows down the wave and the ferromagnetic particles absorb the energy. These coatings are also designed in a way that the small reflection from the front face of the absorber is cancelled by a residual reflection from the structure beneath it. For the application of this paint robots will be used, like the CASPER (Computer Aided Spray Paint Expelling Robot) system used for F-22 and the Have Glass II program used for painting 1,700 F-16s with RAM. Robots are essential because they can reach confined areas, as the inlet ducts, and can work without stepping on the aircraft. Pacer Mud processed aircraft can be recognised by their metallic like and shiny paintwork.