Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The video tape scene is still goddamn powerful in SH2, one of my favorite moments in a game.

Great Knife chat could be taken as that's when he cut himself off from the reality of what he did.

I have never actually sat through SH2 until now, and it loving shocks me how incredibly moving, unsettling and subtle their storytelling is compared to every game since then.

I mean I was vaguely aware of the story of SH2 and I was still completely entranced by the cut scenes, holy poo poo Angela you poor poor girl.

I still cant believe this game came out in 2001, it's just too good compared to literally everything else around it.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
So I guess Pat's going for the In Water ending? That seems like a pretty heavy way to end the LP.

Also I love watching Matt try to make sense of all the symbolism. :allears:

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 12, 2015

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Since it's been kinda mentioned once or twice here, can anyone tell me where the "Silent Hill is a Health Drink induced delusion" theory comes from?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wow, the Darkest Dungeon video is so good! I also really like that it has more than two people on it for better banter, and also has at least one person who has experience with the game to provide some insight. I know that if Woolie or Matt was a third mate on the SMRPG run it'd lead to less blundering shenanigans like with what very nearly happened with the most recent episode and the path to Monstro Town. Something similar to what Dan Ryckert does with Drew Scanlon in their Metal Gear Solid series playthrough, where Dan's a huge MGS fanboy and knows everything, and Drew has no knowledge of Metal Gear whatsoever, so that Dan can nudge him towards neat poo poo that he'd otherwise miss.

I realize adding more people to each video series would likely be unfeasible due to time constraints, but I tend to like the videos with 3+ people the most.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I think it depends largely on the type of game. Something like Evil Within works well with just two, Darkest Dungeon really benefits from three. I guess it's down to the atmosphere and story/style of the game.

And yeah, Silent Hill 2 is why it is such an unbelievable travesty that anyone, let alone critics, takes Cage seriously as a person telling stories within the context of vidya games.

Mesothelioma
Jan 6, 2009

Your favorite mineral related cancer!

Captain Invictus posted:

Wow, the Darkest Dungeon video is so good! I also really like that it has more than two people on it for better banter, and also has at least one person who has experience with the game to provide some insight. I know that if Woolie or Matt was a third mate on the SMRPG run it'd lead to less blundering shenanigans like with what very nearly happened with the most recent episode and the path to Monstro Town. Something similar to what Dan Ryckert does with Drew Scanlon in their Metal Gear Solid series playthrough, where Dan's a huge MGS fanboy and knows everything, and Drew has no knowledge of Metal Gear whatsoever, so that Dan can nudge him towards neat poo poo that he'd otherwise miss.

I realize adding more people to each video series would likely be unfeasible due to time constraints, but I tend to like the videos with 3+ people the most.

woolie can't be the third man he's eating dirt.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Matt, Kamiya says feathered dinos are cool, is this canon now?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So their theory that Xenoblade X has an Avatar character system was right. They are just using the dumbest, ugliest looking face for all their trailers for whatever reason,

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

One of the guys said on the podcast that the Persona Dancing All Night trailer had a bunch of names they never heard of. The first guy they announced who did a remix, Shinichi Osawa, also worked under the name Mondo Grosso. He's the guy that did the song Shinin for the first Lumines game

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

It's the best song

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

And yeah, Silent Hill 2 is why it is such an unbelievable travesty that anyone, let alone critics, takes Cage seriously as a person telling stories within the context of vidya games.

No one takes him seriously save for Sony marketing department. But I think even they prefer to give spotlight to indies rather than do the auteur routine with Cage.

Anecdotal, but back in the day, one of my friends who was a superfan of MGS 2 and Silent Hill 2 hailed Fahrenheit as something groundbreaking in the same breath.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tae posted:

So their theory that Xenoblade X has an Avatar character system was right. They are just using the dumbest, ugliest looking face for all their trailers for whatever reason,

Hey, it could be worse.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Laura's letter from Mary was something I forgot about so that hit me harder than I thought it would.

It's strange seeing (what I assume to be) the North American release with the censorship of the video. Matt, if you thought the video tape was quite subtle in what it was implying, the other version is...distressing, to say the least.

Ashtarath
Oct 11, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Hey, it could be worse.

I fail to see how this isn't better in every way

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

DrSnakeLaser posted:

Laura's letter from Mary was something I forgot about so that hit me harder than I thought it would.

It's strange seeing (what I assume to be) the North American release with the censorship of the video. Matt, if you thought the video tape was quite subtle in what it was implying, the other version is...distressing, to say the least.

I don't think the other version is actually in any of the current releases. I don't know which one the guys are playing but I'm fairly certain you can only find the non-edited version of the scene in the original edition of the game, which is basically impossible to find now that the re-release exists. Apparently you can hack it back into the PC version though with a quick google.

Silent Hill is one of my favorite game series' of all time and I will honestly defend it in almost any situation, even the shittier games like Downpour/Homecoming/Downcoming, so it's good to see people talking about it (especially the best friends) in a positive light instead of a negative one for once.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 12, 2015

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Rodyle posted:

Matt, Kamiya says feathered dinos are cool, is this canon now?

That was always the case, unless you're some kind of luddite

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Tae posted:

Wasn't this already known since like, last year?

I remember seeing a video after E3 or something last year where they showed off a bit of the character creation.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Character creation? online multiplayer?! is xenoblade X a JRPG or a Monster Hunter game?! I love how it looks but I'm not too sure what it actually is.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ashtarath posted:

I fail to see how this isn't better in every way

Yes, that's my point. The faces look bad because it's weird kinda uncanny valley dollface going on but when you can do some of this stuff it's all straight right fam? http://xenobladex.jp/character/miracollection_chara.html

Al-Saqr posted:

Character creation? online multiplayer?! is xenoblade X a JRPG or a Monster Hunter game?! I love how it looks but I'm not too sure what it actually is.

I dunno about multiplayer but there's a bit of character creation since they're not just doing a straight 'Their own character' like Shulk was. Other examples of 'Their own character' types: Dante, Bayonetta, Raiden, Snake.

Best I can call it is an MMO without the Online part. Since Xenoblade Chronicles basically played like an MMO anyway.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Well, Pat said to Youtube the dog ending, so Youtube it I did. If you haven't seen it, I can thoroughly recommend it; it's three minutes of beautiful insanity. :allears:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I wonder if there's any chance of a Dragonball: Xenoverse Fisticuffs when it comes out.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Well, Pat said to Youtube the dog ending, so Youtube it I did. If you haven't seen it, I can thoroughly recommend it; it's three minutes of beautiful insanity. :allears:

The song that plays during the dog ending is hype as gently caress.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I wonder if there's any chance of a Dragonball: Xenoverse Fisticuffs when it comes out.

Dragonball: Xenoverse seems like the kind of dumb bullshit I can get behind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKWxRtn5-Yg&t=1067s

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Veotax posted:

And judging by the parts that are available in Create-a-Character, Rage and the Baz will both be VERY easy to make.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Veotax posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKWxRtn5-Yg&t=1067s

Man, I forgot how much all the male characters the Dragon Ball guy does look the same

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
What was in that Square-Chan chapter that got pulled?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

A good poster posted:

It was never not pulled.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

A good poster posted:

That looked like a chapter to you?

Oh my God this last PE episode. Usually I think people overreact to less-than-optimal decisions on these LPs but that fight was rough. At least it seems like they realized the issue with high rate-of-fire weapons...

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
*Woolie runs around doing absolutely nothing and wasting time*
"WHAT DO I DO IT HEALS TOO MUCH!"

Sorry, that was just really funny to me. And after they spent so much time optimizing their health bar before the boss too.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I think that boss fight makes me retroactively glad that I never watched the Dark Souls 2 LP.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Scientists Baffled By Man's Incredible Ability To gently caress Up Every Time

(but seriously Pat even said going in "hey maybe you don't want to use that gun")

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
Late reply, but this was pretty good, they even showed off the unlockables. Liam is right, light-gun games are really hype. I wish they could have pulled off rescuing the President on camera though, just to hear Matt's reaction to the Presidential High Five.

How are the gang's typing skills? Having them play hotseat Typing of the Dead would be pretty funny. Overkill has some pretty funny word/zombie pairings and boss paragraphs.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

"We're only doing one more dungeon for today otherwise we'll be going for 10 hours"

Is this hinting at more Darkest Dungeon :allears:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

"We're only doing one more dungeon for today otherwise we'll be going for 10 hours"

Is this hinting at more Darkest Dungeon :allears:

Well, that was named part 2 of 2, so I wouldn't bet on more Darkest Dungeon...

...for now.

Also, them clutch resolves.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Darkest Dungeon is definitely worth a revisit once it's further in development.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I love Reynauld. He's the highlight.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I love Reynauld. He's the highlight.

push reynauld

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Blockhouse posted:

push reynauld

He got pushed. It broke him.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Improbable Lobster posted:

Darkest Dungeon is definitely worth a revisit once it's further in development.

Full LP once the game is officially released would be awesome; it would be a good chance to revisit the idea of an LP that could end at any time. Nuzlocke was really hurt by the fact that Woolie played it too safe, but DD looks like there's little low-risk leveling to be had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

hoobajoo posted:

Full LP once the game is officially released would be awesome; it would be a good chance to revisit the idea of an LP that could end at any time. Nuzlocke was really hurt by the fact that Woolie played it too safe, but DD looks like there's little low-risk leveling to be had.

Darkest Dungeon doesn't have a lose state ATM. The worst that can happen is that you run out of money so you have to hire adventurers, send them out without supplies and then fire them when the come back insane.