Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
You shouldn't be able to retreat if the light isn't at a high enough %.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

The Iron Rose posted:

I'd probably say that to make being surprised more dangerous and to discourage retreating the enemies should get a small speed buff for that round. As is you have every chance to go first despite being surprised. If you have to endure a round of the enemy wailing on you, that reduces the benefits of retreating significantly.

It might be cool if your guys get out individually on their next turn after a "retreat success". So high speed would help you retreat but you have to endure being wailed on another round, it isn't instant.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

The Iron Rose posted:

I'd probably say that to make being surprised more dangerous and to discourage retreating the enemies should get a small speed buff for that round. As is you have every chance to go first despite being surprised. If you have to endure a round of the enemy wailing on you, that reduces the benefits of retreating significantly.

Every time I've tried to retreat it takes multiple (3-8) attempts and involves getting pounded on for a while. It's been working as intended for me, so they probably just need to fiddle with the variables.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
Successfully disarming a trap should reduce stress to some degree, I mean come on, disarming a trap should be a fist pump moment for any band of adventurers.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Internet Kraken posted:

I think if low light runs actually end up being easier due to the number of crits you get they need to rebalance that aspect of the game.

The part that is missing out of most of the people talking about this is that by the time you're doing a low light run like this, you're better at the game and often have built your party around it. There are definite risks in a low light run that you have to mitigate, its just that stress (from exploring at low light) isn't that big of a deal because of the crit bonus. Without the crit bonus, you probably wouldn't be able to do low light runs at all, which just removes an interesting facet to the game.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I think if low light runs actually end up being easier due to the number of crits you get they need to rebalance that aspect of the game.

As someone who dips in and out of low light on all my runs, the 6% crit buff really doesn't make low light easier than high light. It's just that a strategy that actually works well at high light (instead of requiring good luck) will also work well at low light. The difference is that when you get a string of bad luck on low light it's really punishing. But if you never hit that string of bad luck everything will just carry on like you had a blazing torch. On the other hand, good luck that gets you through a fight with 0 damage is just a little more common. Maybe 1 fight per dungeon, you'll get an important crit in low light that you wouldn't in high light.

The thing is, you can never get your crit rate high enough that you can really rely on it. You might think you are, but your tactics have to work well with a string of no crits because that will happen with only a 30% chance to crit. A 30% chance to crit is a 70% chance to not crit, so given average luck you won't crit. No strategy will be effective in this game if it doesn't succeed with average luck. And if your tactics work well without crits, than no matter what you might think about it you're not actually relying on the crits.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Right now this game is fun but exceedingly shallow. I've enjoyed what I have played but only really in short bursts.

Comparisons to X-com that a lot of people have thrown around fall pretty flat since there is a near-total lack of character customization and skill differentials in addition to there being very few choices to be made with regards to either party building or action. 95% of the time you simply choose the best dudes with the least crippling afflictions and they're otherwise indistinguishable from anyone else, and you can't really build a character in any meaningful way outside of coddling your luckiest members as much as possible since they are marginally better than the others.

I'm a huge fan of the "expendable idiot" method of teambuilding and prefer my roguelikes brutal and murderous, but a big part of what keeps a game interesting is the forbidden allure of building a truly powerful and customized character/team only to have them die hideously in a freakish mishap, which I really wish this game had. It would also allow for a lot more combat variety if there were more in-depth equipment, abilities, and encounter types. As it stands, most fights boil down to "how often did the enemy team dodge and did one side surprise the other?"

On the other hand they could expand the town management portion in a much more robust manner and add a lot more varied things to do/build toward and that might help alleviate some of the inherent sameness the game suffers from.

Cool game, and happy to have got in on it, but there's the potential for a whole lot more here and I'm not sure it's going to be explored. /end rant

edit: The post above me with regards to low-light runs sums it up, in my opinion. You can push for an interesting and/or high variance strategy like a low-light run if you really want to, but realistically it's not any better than just hedging your bets and playing the averages, and in many ways isn't even particularly distinguishable from it. And the averages are pretty easy to play overall. Bring strong AOEs, have a few sources of stuns, always do Medium or longer runs so you get Camp buffs, play to have 0-damage encounters where possible, focus on crit and dodge, etc.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 13, 2015

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Internet Kraken posted:

I think the stress reducing battle abilities are pretty weird and should just be removed. They don't really encourage any kind of interesting or tactical play. They're better now that you can't stall without racking up stress though.
I think they're fine for adding incentive to build diverse rosters and rotating regularly. Managing the roster is actually tactically interesting to me personally. I find it much more interesting than say, selecting skills or upgrading gear :shrug:. But I like the higher level decision of deciding who should get upgrades and who needs to rest for a bit.

[e]I just totally misread your post. For some reason I thought you said stress should be removed. Just ignore this post, I'm an idiot

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

TheBlandName posted:

The thing is, you can never get your crit rate high enough that you can really rely on it. You might think you are, but your tactics have to work well with a string of no crits because that will happen with only a 30% chance to crit. A 30% chance to crit is a 70% chance to not crit, so given average luck you won't crit. No strategy will be effective in this game if it doesn't succeed with average luck. And if your tactics work well without crits, than no matter what you might think about it you're not actually relying on the crits.

A 30% chance to crit doesn't mean that you won't crit on average, it means that on average three out of ten attacks will be crits. That's pretty good odds, and while you can't guarantee any SPECIFIC attack is going to crit, you can easily rely on removing lots of stress over the course of the dungeon just off your crits. If a fight lasts ~3 rounds, that's 12 attacks for your guys, with an average of 3-4 crits per fight. That's -15 to -20 stress healed, and you aren't even giving up your all-important damage dealing turns to heal it like you would be if you were spamming the jester's stress heal move instead. Crit builds are as reliable a build as any other in this game, even if you don't reach as high as 30% chance.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

Is it me, or does backtracking through corridors you have already explored not guarantee that they will be empty?

I've hit traps and run into monsters before when doubling back.

Maybe it's something that only happens in total darkness?
I've been fiddling around in total darkness a bit recently to farm and it seems like the possibility only arises once you've dropped below 25 torchlight, then enemies can start reappearing. Traps, I don't even loving know. I swear I've seen them reappear even before that and it sucks every time.

Also, I've got a question, all these accessories that say stuff like +10% to stun skill and whatnot, are those only improving the chances for skills that normally stun or are they adding that chance to every offensive skill? I assumed it was the former until I noticed that certain class specific accessories an improve the chance of say, blight, for a class that has no skills involving blight? Like the cursed buckle for the highwayman involves +20% blight skills despite him not having a single attack that causes blight.

Also, does the claustrophobia quirk have any negative side effects? I've yet to notice any but then I avoid touching iron maidens with any character that has it.

MacheteZombie posted:

You shouldn't be able to retreat if the light isn't at a high enough %.
Doesn't that kind of not make sense though? If you're trying to slip away from angry monsters wouldn't it be better not to be carrying around a bright torch? I'd say the opposite would be better, lower light equals higher escape chance and vice versa.

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 13, 2015

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

InequalityGodzilla posted:

I've been fiddling around in total darkness a bit recently to farm and it seems like the possibility only arises once you've dropped below 25 torchlight, then enemies can start reappearing.
I've seen enemy markers reappear on the map when backtracking in full light.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

I Love You! posted:

Comparisons to X-com that a lot of people have thrown around fall pretty flat since there is a near-total lack of character customization and skill differentials in addition to there being very few choices to be made with regards to either party building or action. 95% of the time you simply choose the best dudes with the least crippling afflictions and they're otherwise indistinguishable from anyone else, and you can't really build a character in any meaningful way outside of coddling your luckiest members as much as possible since they are marginally better than the others.

The afflictions and perks are pretty negligible after about level 2-3 and you have your Sanitarium running. The power differential between a level 5 and a level 1 is incredibly obvious (a level 1 compared to a 0 is too). There are more classes than XCom (10 compared to 1), more skills/weapons compared to XCom, and a more robust customization system. Also coddling your luckiest members/guys with the best stats is pretty much the core gameplay of XCom.

The rest of it I agree with. My three teams are level 5/4/2 now and there isn't anything new for me to do. Not that I'm complaining - I got around 20hrs out of an indie Early Access game so far and I'll probably still dick around with it for a while.

acumen fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 13, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Jackard posted:

I've seen enemy markers reappear on the map when backtracking in full light.

I can confirm this. They usually pop up on an extended bit of backtracking, like I'm on a 90% rooms quest and just finished one branch and need to head back to another. This also usually triggers three hunger events in a row.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

acumen posted:

The afflictions and perks are pretty negligible after about level 2-3 and you have your Sanitarium running. The power differential between a level 5 and a level 1 is incredibly obvious (a level 1 compared to a 0 is too). There are more classes than XCom (10 compared to 1), more skills/weapons compared to XCom, and a more robust customization system. Also coddling your luckiest members/guys with the best stats is pretty much the core gameplay of XCom.

Also most of the gear upgrades in X-COM are straight upgrades instead of actual variety and most of the strategy consists of gaming the engagement system to ensure you only encounter small groups of enemies on your own terms. X-COM (new) is actually pretty repetitive. That's not bad! It's actually still really good and fun.

Nyc_Tattoo
Feb 28, 2001

Tread Carefully,
lest thou rouse the
Coupons Dragon
Grimey Drawer

I Love You! posted:

Right now this game is fun but exceedingly shallow. I've enjoyed what I have played but only really in short bursts.

I'm in the same boat. I can load up and only do 1 or two runs before I have to close the game. It's fun and worth what I paid but it definitely needs some more depth. I think I'm coming up on week 50 and the town is almost fully upgraded.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

I've been streaming this game quite a bit since it came out, and like the others I keep trying to increase the challenges to make the game a bit harder. Prior to the patch, mid-endgame really had little to no risk at all imo. I've beaten Hag/Swine Prince with my rank 3s and 4s and just need the Necro equivalent and then hopefully the lv5 dungeons won't pummel me too harshly. I've gotten close to dieing a few times but I only have 2 in graveyard so far. Current challenge: No torch, No retreat, No new skill/camp skill buying (although you can game this to get essential skills kind of)

I'm just kind of disappointed in the quirks system. I don't mind the Sanitarium and getting rid of bad quirks, I just don't understand why good quirks get randomly replaced. Either make them permanent to give characters a smidgen of individuality and favouring them to specific playstyles, or make us choose what to replace so we can finetune them ourselves.

It doesn't help that the trinket system is just as boring. 90% of that stuff is crap, which begs the question why 90% of it is in there at all.

Still loving the game and still not regretting spending 20Euro on it. I hope there will be a NG+. And the Darkest Dungeon better deliver.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Nyc_Tattoo posted:

I'm in the same boat. I can load up and only do 1 or two runs before I have to close the game. It's fun and worth what I paid but it definitely needs some more depth. I think I'm coming up on week 50 and the town is almost fully upgraded.

Yeah, same here. I've put in 20 hours, but 15 of those felt very repetitive. That's totally fine for an early access game, and I think this one has a unique flavor and a ton of potential. I just hope they go beyond adding new areas and monsters, and add some actual depth too.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

Yeah, same here. I've put in 20 hours, but 15 of those felt very repetitive. That's totally fine for an early access game, and I think this one has a unique flavor and a ton of potential. I just hope they go beyond adding new areas and monsters, and add some actual depth too.

More story type missions would help IMO

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Doesn't that kind of not make sense though? If you're trying to slip away from angry monsters wouldn't it be better not to be carrying around a bright torch? I'd say the opposite would be better, lower light equals higher escape chance and vice versa.

Pretty sure the monsters are adapted to complete darkness so light actually confuses them. At least that's the impression I get from a radiant torch being more likely to result in surprised monster encounters.

...okay that doesn't really make sense when bandits show up but for EVERYTHING ELSE it does :v:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I would love to see a bestiary that gets filled with information as you kill beasts/do missions. This game does atmosphere so well that getting a few written and narrated paragraphs about each of the incidental creatures you come across would be really awesome.

"These twisted mockeries of common swine relish the releasing of their turbulent expectorations, confounding the fraying dignities of unwary adventurers as reprehensible disease courses through their wretched bodies". That kind of thing. (Only well written)

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Songbearer posted:

I would love to see a bestiary that gets filled with information as you kill beasts/do missions. This game does atmosphere so well that getting a few written and narrated paragraphs about each of the incidental creatures you come across would be really awesome.

"These twisted mockeries of common swine relish the releasing of their turbulent expectorations, confounding the fraying dignities of unwary adventurers as reprehensible disease courses through their wretched bodies". That kind of thing. (Only well written)

The game already does that for the bosses. Should do it for all the enemies. Fully voiced. :getin:

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008
so, is there a tried and true method to kill the pig-centaur? tons of hp, immune to stun, and can wreck every character in a single blow. Sometimes all 4 at once, in fact. My level 3 guys are only hitting at 8-12 damage per turn (with upgraded weaps and skills). First fight I've ever retreated from (although I've been wiped a few times, don't know if you want to count that). What do I do when all the level 3 baddies are suddenly super spongy?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Songbearer posted:

The game really needs a bestiary encyclopedia

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Kaincypher posted:

so, is there a tried and true method to kill the pig-centaur? tons of hp, immune to stun, and can wreck every character in a single blow. Sometimes all 4 at once, in fact. My level 3 guys are only hitting at 8-12 damage per turn (with upgraded weaps and skills). First fight I've ever retreated from (although I've been wiped a few times, don't know if you want to count that). What do I do when all the level 3 baddies are suddenly super spongy?

Kill everything else so it has to be in the front row. All its front row attacks are terrible.

Nyc_Tattoo
Feb 28, 2001

Tread Carefully,
lest thou rouse the
Coupons Dragon
Grimey Drawer

Kaincypher posted:

Make sure your characters armor is upgraded. I haven't had any trouble with the few I've encountered, pretty much bled/crit him to death in 3 rounds or so.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011
I can't wait for the Cove to be opened, because I am overflowing in crests. And not overflowing in everything else.

Also, it turns out sometimes a town activity, such as sanitarium or drinking, will leave a negative buff on a character, but won't show up anywhere but the activity log.

Also, screw the undead dog things. Whiffing nonstop.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Is there a list of things that can happen with certain stress-relief activities? Like how the bar could make your character wander off and maybe not ever come back? Same goes for one of the church ones.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Nyc_Tattoo posted:

Make sure your characters armor is upgraded. I haven't had any trouble with the few I've encountered, pretty much bled/crit him to death in 3 rounds or so.

Yeah armor is important since it improves dodge chance.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

BJPaskoff posted:

Is there a list of things that can happen with certain stress-relief activities? Like how the bar could make your character wander off and maybe not ever come back? Same goes for one of the church ones.

Most of them have both positive and negative quirks / events. Here's a few I remember:

Meditation - Enlightened (Will only meditate to reduce stress) / Unquiet Mind (Cannot meditate)

Prayer - Holy Vision (Leaves the party for ~ weeks) / Witness (Will not pray)

Gambling - Good night out (Receive a random trinket) / Bad night out (Lose extra gold)

Bar - Disappearance (Leaves the party for ~ weeks) / Busted Bar (Pay extra gold for damages)

I've never had anyone wander off for good, but make sure they're not holding on to any of your favorite trinkets.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I lost a trinket when a highwayman lost it in a bet

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

can anyone clarify what (In Rank: 1) means on the Sniper Ring trinket? The frontmost position in your party? Too many things in this game use the term 'rank' :sweatdrop:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

_jink posted:

can anyone clarify what (In Rank: 1) means on the Sniper Ring trinket? The frontmost position in your party? Too many things in this game use the term 'rank' :sweatdrop:

Yeah, that would be the frontmost. Its a penalty to being in melee, since you're a sniper. Great ring for occultists / vestals.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

_jink posted:

The position closest to the enemy, the frontmost party member. It's ambiguous until you remember that it's called the sniper ring. They aren't exactly known for being on the front lines

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Waffle! posted:

Most of them have both positive and negative quirks / events. Here's a few I remember:

Meditation - Enlightened (Will only meditate to reduce stress) / Unquiet Mind (Cannot meditate)

Prayer - Holy Vision (Leaves the party for ~ weeks) / Witness (Will not pray)

Gambling - Good night out (Receive a random trinket) / Bad night out (Lose extra gold)

Bar - Disappearance (Leaves the party for ~ weeks) / Busted Bar (Pay extra gold for damages)

I've never had anyone wander off for good, but make sure they're not holding on to any of your favorite trinkets.

Gambling can also cause them to leave for a few weeks.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
I ran into a Stack of Books and had an extra Torch with me, so gently caress it, these things always bring me nothing but hardship. Let's have a book BBQ! What could go wrong? :supaburn: My fire-wielding Hellion gets hit with 98 STRESS by doing this and immediately goes to 100/100 Stress. gently caress. The dice are rolled for her resolve and she becomes... STALWART! :whatup:

I love this game.

BlackIronHeart fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Feb 13, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Wait, how the hell would burning the books get you Insanity? Everyone knows that's how you AVOID it!

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Night10194 posted:

Wait, how the hell would burning the books get you Insanity? Everyone knows that's how you AVOID it!

Your probably illiterate hellion decides that destroying knowledge is super bad and has a panic attack. It's a little silly and kind of a one-off gently caress you trap.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Burning the Necronomicon is not a good idea.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Could we talk about which items do good things in which encounters? I've taken to provisioning a key or two in a lot of places since anything that is locked is practically guaranteed to be trapped without a key, but holy crap do you get mad heirlooms if you burn one.

What does Holy Water help with? I've tried using it on graves and corpses but gotten nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Coolguye posted:

Could we talk about which items do good things in which encounters? I've taken to provisioning a key or two in a lot of places since anything that is locked is practically guaranteed to be trapped without a key, but holy crap do you get mad heirlooms if you burn one.

What does Holy Water help with? I've tried using it on graves and corpses but gotten nothing.
Try on Urns, altars.