Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

My copy shipped out and should be here tomorrow! :woop:

...too bad I'll be at work :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

rhoga posted:

I would do HBGs with a buddy of mine, and most of it was shouting at each other to never bail on the siege mode. With two HBGs you get the stagger... most of the time..

Since we're talking guns, lets get some numbers out there. Bowguns have a lot of info associated with them, from ammo lists to recoil to deviation, and it helps to see the facts listed out.
These are the same for HBG and LBG, and all the values are from 3rd. It should be the same or very similar in 4U.

Ranges
I'm just going to list the ideal ranges, where you'll do 150% damage.
Normal Shot is within 0 to 4 rolls for 1 and 2. For Normal 3 it's 0 to 5 rolls. Point blank gets the full bonus, so being close isn't a bad thing. Just don't be too far away.
Pierce, you need to be within 3 rolls to 5 rolls away. (3 to 7 for Pierce 3).
Pellet and Elemental shots get no range modifier. Being closer means that more Pellets will hit. (Don't use pellet shot, especially not in multiplayer.)

Be very aware of your range. Don't waste ammo spraying from far away. Never shoot from long range. Get a feel for your optimal range and get the most out of each of your shots.

Recoil
Match your recoil to the type of shot you plan to use to do do damage. Ideally, you want your basic shot to match the recoil on the left side, or be lower. For example, if you're firing Pierce 1, you gun needs Average or lower recoil. High recoil would be a bad choice.
This means that for Normal 3, there is no downside to having High recoil on your gun! You'll fire it without recoil, so don't waste armor skills on lowering recoil, and put that long barrel back on your LBG.
code:
Listed	|Recoilless
Recoil	|Shots
--------+-----------------
Max	| Normal 1
High	| Normal 2+3, Paint, Elemental
Average	| Pierce 1, Pellet 1+2, Slicing, Recovery 1, Tranq
Some	| Pierce 2+3, Pellet 3, Crag 1, Exhaust 1, Demon, Armor
Low	| Status 1, Crag 2+3, Recovery 2, Exhaust 2, Blast
V Low	| Clust 1, Dragon
Min	| Clust 2+3, Status 2
Shots fired below or at their own tier have little recoil (>1 second between shots)
Shots fired one or two tiers above their own have some recoil (~2 seconds between shots)).
3 or more tiers above have extreme recoil (~2.5 seconds between shots).

Reload
Having minimum recoil is a big concern, while having the fastest reload doesn't really matter. You can probably skip this chart. I'm only including it because I have it.
Like recoil, reload speeds are done in tiers. That means that if you're at Average Reload and plan to shoot Normal 3, Reload on your armor isn't going to do much for you.
code:
Listed	| Fastest
Reload	| Shots
--------+---------
E. Slow	|
V. Slow	|
Slow	| Normal 1 
Bel. Av	| Normal 2, Pellet 1, Rec 1, Tranq, Paint
Average	| Normal 3, Pierce 1, Pellet 2, Elemental, Sub 2
Abv. Av	| Pierce 2, Rec 2, Pellet 3, Blast, Crag 1, Poison 1, Exhaust 1, Slicing, Sub 1, Wyvernfire
Fast	| Pierce 3, Para 1, Sleep 1, Crag 2, Exhaust 2, Demon, Armor
V.Fast	| Crag 3, Clust 1, Poison 2, Para 2, Sleep 2, Dragon
Fastest	| Clust 2+3, Limitless LBG
Fastest is about 2 seconds
Reload for shots 1 to 3 tiers above is ~3 seconds
Reload for 4+ tiers is ~4 seconds.

Guns are cool and everyone should use guns in 4U. Bows and swords are lame.
Pew pew.

Oh, this is useful. Thanks much for the information.

So, people have been having their orders shipped (and in one case, judging from those pictures, arrive) for the N3DS bundle? Mine still not showing up as shipped has me worried; paying for one-day shipping for something that won't arrive until three days after the release would really suck.

Then again, UPS could get it here in a single day or something. I've been impressed by the delivery companies before.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Wait, are stores doing a midnight release thing?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I just checked the UPS tracking number Gamestop sent me for my nu3DS and it's already in my town and will be here by tomorrow. :stare:

So much for that 2 weeks long wait. :dance:

Eirgen
Jan 29, 2010
Some stores are. I'm in NY / flushing.

f5'd that tracking number, no updates :( I had to call them this morning to see what's up and I guess they just realized they overlooked it so that got printed and... that's it.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
I got my fedex tracking number from walmart!
:dance:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Wait, are stores doing a midnight release thing?
Some but not all are.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

One store in RI is...do I feel like driving half an hour to get the system tonight instead of going to the local store tomorrow at lunch?

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
For those of you with units that haven't shipped yet from Gamestop, did you pre-buy or pre-order? I'm kinda wondering if everyone that hasn't paid yet caught an extra delay while they're charging cards, and everyone who already paid got them shipped out early since they were all ready to go this morning.

Going by my own order, it looks like it was put on a truck early today. I pre-bought the MH Special 3DS in one of the later waves they got, so I doubt they're sending them out in the order of the order being received.

Either way, went from KY to Portland, OR already, and I'm just one town over, so really hoping it's here tomorrow. Don't wanna wait through the weekend with it that close (have had that happen once before).

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I paid in full online. I have a shipping label, but UPS claims not to have received the package yet.

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003

rhoga posted:

Be very aware of your range. Don't waste ammo spraying from far away. Never shoot from long range. Get a feel for your optimal range and get the most out of each of your shots.

One new thing they added for 4 Ultimate is that the screen very visibly shakes if you are at the proper distance. It makes a huge difference when learning how far away you need to be on top of making the hits feel more visceral.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I never saw an option to pre-pay but I've had it preordered since January. Only have a shipping label with UPS claiming not to have it.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

mcpringles posted:

Ugh I forgot about slime. Slime was the worst part of 3U. Most people used slime weapons 100% of the time and just ignored elemental weaknesses.

This is something I never really understood. How is Slime any worse than a good Raw weapon? For nearly the entire lifetime of Monster Hunter as a series, strong Raw weapons have actually been the ideal choice almost across the board. Raw weapons allow you to completely ignore elemental weaknesses, so why is Slime worse than that? While I certainly think that some of the Slime weapons in 3U were overpowered, that had a lot less to do with Slime and more to do with those individual weapons. Just seems to me that Raw weapons being strong would be a much bigger "issue" (not that I think either is an issue) than Slime weapons, considering there are a lot more Raw weapons.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Anybody who has the game know how many characters they let you have in your name?

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
In the inevitable goon tradition of games about to be released: when does this poo poo go up on the 3ds store? (US region)

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

HPanda posted:

For those of you with units that haven't shipped yet from Gamestop, did you pre-buy or pre-order? I'm kinda wondering if everyone that hasn't paid yet caught an extra delay while they're charging cards, and everyone who already paid got them shipped out early since they were all ready to go this morning.

Going by my own order, it looks like it was put on a truck early today. I pre-bought the MH Special 3DS in one of the later waves they got, so I doubt they're sending them out in the order of the order being received.

Either way, went from KY to Portland, OR already, and I'm just one town over, so really hoping it's here tomorrow. Don't wanna wait through the weekend with it that close (have had that happen once before).

I paid in-store, myself. Still waiting for it to ship.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

HPanda posted:

I already paid, and your post caused me to check my inbox and, lo and behold, a shipping confirmation was sent! It says it'll be here on the 16th, which is just fine with me.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Ausgoons, spotted 4 copies at a Big W this arvo :siren:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Monster Hunter Megathread: We Don't Know When It Will Come Out On The Eshop

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I gotta say, it's pretty lame that preordering through the site means you get your stuff later than the people who're going to the store to pick it up.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

My copy shipped from Amazon but estimated delivery is next Wednesday even though the city it's currently in is maybe half an hour's drive from me. Hopefully this is one of those instances of Amazon grossly overestimating the delivery date and it'll be here tomorrow or Saturday.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
If my MH edition 3DS doesn't come tomorrow, I'll be pretty pissed. Got a tracking number and everything, but UPS is still saying they haven't got the package yet, so...

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

Pomp posted:

Monster Hunter Megathread: We Don't Know When It Will Come Out On The Eshop

speak for yourself it's only one more hour here AAAAAAAGH THE WAIT :byodood:

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

AttackBacon posted:

This is something I never really understood. How is Slime any worse than a good Raw weapon? For nearly the entire lifetime of Monster Hunter as a series, strong Raw weapons have actually been the ideal choice almost across the board. Raw weapons allow you to completely ignore elemental weaknesses, so why is Slime worse than that? While I certainly think that some of the Slime weapons in 3U were overpowered, that had a lot less to do with Slime and more to do with those individual weapons. Just seems to me that Raw weapons being strong would be a much bigger "issue" (not that I think either is an issue) than Slime weapons, considering there are a lot more Raw weapons.

Because raw is still reduced by defense on hitzones, to say nothing of motion values. Slime deals neutral damage. In a party of 4 with nothing but slime weapons, the amount of explosions would easily offset almost any additional damage you might get from everyone focusing on pure raw weapons. Additionally, since there was little to moderate the slime application, like with poison for example (only one poison effect can exist at a single time), more slime directly amounts to more damage.

Here's a way to think of it. If everyone has slime weapons, and everyone has a Status + Bombardier armor set, everyone's improved slime damage + increased slim application is effectively multiplied by the number of people applying slime. Sure, stack all the raw damage you want, but YOUR armor set will do nothing to improve the damage of your buddy's raw damage armor set.

If we're talking about solo, sure. Just go RAW. Absolute end game? Yeah, again, sure, specialize. More. For a big chunk of High Rank and G-rank? A slime party basically one of those highly specialized parties like a sleep bomber crew, except everyone was rolling with slime anyway, so there was no need to actually organize with random numbers.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Should we set up a Google doc for 3DS friend codes?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SL the Pyro posted:

speak for yourself it's only one more hour here AAAAAAAGH THE WAIT :byodood:

Monster Hunter Megathread: It Comes Out Midnight EST On The Eshop

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Pomp posted:

Monster Hunter Megathread: It Comes Out Midnight EST On The Eshop

Wootles

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

pnumoman posted:

If my MH edition 3DS doesn't come tomorrow, I'll be pretty pissed. Got a tracking number and everything, but UPS is still saying they haven't got the package yet, so...

Well, I went and called GameStop (and surprisingly got a response, at this time of night), and he said mine's shipped and should be here tomorrow, despite what UPS's site is saying. It might be a similar situation for other people. Maybe. Hopefully, at least; we need to hunt all the monsters, after all.

Eirgen
Jan 29, 2010
I recall the gamestop rep saying something about... it releases at 12am ... so I guess they just have everything ready and will send out tomorrow like jerks they are :/ I hope that is not the case and UPS hasn't updated yet. I was charged for it over a week ago and ordered on day 1 online. Oh well... I'll play it on my reg. 3ds xl for now and start again when I get the limited edition ver of the new 3ds xl

edit: or what's above my post!

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I'd like to play with other folks, if that's possible. I've never done more than local play with MonHun, so I don't know how to add people or however it works for the proper online play.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Roland Jones posted:

Well, I went and called GameStop (and surprisingly got a response, at this time of night), and he said mine's shipped and should be here tomorrow, despite what UPS's site is saying. It might be a similar situation for other people. Maybe. Hopefully, at least; we need to hunt all the monsters, after all.

Looking around the web, this seems to be familiar to people who have gone through GameStop release day shipments. I'm just gonna assume the best now, and properly freak out if the tracking info hasn't changed in the morning.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
UPS tracking just updated; my n3ds is two states away :shepicide:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So apparently, you can create your first felyne comrade?

Monster Hunter Megathread: Show us your kitty

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

It's not up on the eShop, WHY ISNT IT UP ON THE ESHOP

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

CuddlyZombie posted:

It better be up by the time my eshop loads! GODDAMMIT!

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
Isn't it published by Nintendo in EU and Capcom in NA? If so, that's why.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

CuddlyZombie posted:

Majora's Mask is up but MH4U isn't

NINTENDO loving US AGAIIIIINNNNNNNNNN

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Francis posted:

Isn't it published by Nintendo in EU and Capcom in NA? If so, that's why.

lmao rip

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Haquer posted:

NINTENDO loving US AGAIIIIINNNNNNNNNN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
MH4U Starter Pack: free items and a “Super” surprise