Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

That happened about 6 months ago in the Melbourne CBD. It's a Ferrari 458, which isn't super clear from the photo. The owner rocked up about ten minutes later...

The damage done to the yellow one further down in the article, and the fact that the driver wasn't injured speak volumes about the integrity of the monocoque.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

sneakyfrog posted:

The "faux rolls" is definitely terrible. the pig... :iia:

Truth. I would rather be taken to my funeral in the Pig Bug.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Powershift posted:

How terrifying is the thought of the last car you ride in being a 95 towncar butchered to somewhat slightly resemble a modern rolls.

From work a few months ago, I had no idea there was more than one of those in existence... :stonklol:

And this popped up in my Facebook feed earlier today:

I can't even... :psyboom:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

How does a wrecked/rebuilt car gain in value.

I'll never understand supercars. :psyduck:

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

FREE! power

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

To be fair i was planning on cutting big rear end holes in my bugs firewall to run tubes into the carbs. I didnt have windows so it was ram-air you see. :downs:

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 13, 2015

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Could be worse.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

This is very much a Wrong Thread type of deal. I'd daily the poo poo out of that.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Slavvy posted:

I really, really can't wait to see the benefits of Italian engineering combined with American quality.

Autoline just had an interview with the lead designer for the Renegade and he was un-ironically touting the combination of American design with Italian manufacturing capability(Renegade was designed by Jeep and made in Italy) as a feature.

Just browsing Allpar when

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

warcake posted:

I'm not sure what thread this belongs in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHya8HGuNSk

Isn't this hiding in 13 inch's closet?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

I'm scared to ask what he's done to that CB350 there...
:ohdear:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The wheels indicate it was owned by someone with no taste so I can't be too mad about it being destroyed.

*edit: those are the stock wheels? Jesus.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

^ Money doesn't buy you taste. They know their target audience I guess.

Now, where did I park my car again?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

88h88 posted:

The wheels indicate it was owned by someone with no taste so I can't be too mad about it being destroyed.

*edit: those are the stock wheels? Jesus.

Are they "stock wheels" if it's a one-off? The initials aren't a coincidence, and it's not the first Zonda with the initials of its original buyer.

"The driver of the Pagani Zonda GJ lost control of the 200mph motor while driving around in an industrial estate in London. […] It was bought new for around £340,000 in 2003 by Scottish oil tycoon Gareth Jones but is now thought to be worth in the region of £1 million."

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Raluek posted:

Could be worse.

I believe CAT actually did that with their last on-highway diesels. Injected fuel into the exhaust.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Giblet Plus! posted:

I believe CAT actually did that with their last on-highway diesels. Injected fuel into the exhaust.

Was it for turbo ALS?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Geoj posted:

Was it for turbo ALS?

No, it was for the DPF. It got the exhaust up to 1700*f to burn off the soot.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I want to believe you're all lying and that it was an afterburner.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

InitialDave posted:

I want to believe you're all lying and that it was an afterburner.

Well anything with a turbo is essentially a jet engine with reciprocating flame tubes

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Powershift posted:

No, it was for the DPF. It got the exhaust up to 1700*f to burn off the soot.

They really did this by injecting fuel into the exhaust? I'm assuming that engine wasn't common rail because you can normally achieve that degree of exhaust heating by fooling around with injection quantities/timing on their own.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Slavvy posted:

They really did this by injecting fuel into the exhaust? I'm assuming that engine wasn't common rail because you can normally achieve that degree of exhaust heating by fooling around with injection quantities/timing on their own.

Fuel atomized before the turbo but not ignited would cool the charge and reduce the pressure.

Fuel atomized and ignited before the turbo would cook the turbo.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Slavvy posted:

The current TDI in my car does this. The "regen" as it is so delightfully called is just extra fuel being injected to heat the DPF up and burn off all the extra stuff left over. Wish it had urea instead, but meh.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

veedubfreak posted:

The current TDI in my car does this. The "regen" as it is so delightfully called is just extra fuel being injected to heat the DPF up and burn off all the extra stuff left over. Wish it had urea instead, but meh.

Urea isn't an "instead", it's an "also"

the DPF catches the soot and burns it off, Urea scrubs NOx out of the exhaust.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

where does the urea tend to get "injected" or whatever the proper term would be?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Baram posted:

where does the urea tend to get "injected" or whatever the proper term would be?

In a reaction chamber downstream from the DPF.

The DPF acts as a muffler, so it's really just engine > turbo > DPF > SCR chamber > out

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Powershift posted:

Fuel atomized and ignited before the turbo would cook the turbo.
Oh, God, rolling coal brotrucks with anti-lag.

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

Powershift posted:

Urea isn't an "instead", it's an "also"

the DPF catches the soot and burns it off, Urea scrubs NOx out of the exhaust.

Trucks here didn't have DPF's until the last few years, only urea. Now they need DPF, Urea and EGR to meet emissions (in the UK anyway)

Pre DPF silencer with just SCR

The bullshit i have to deal with now:

Not showing the AFI (aftertreatment fuel injector) which is located in the pipe just after the turbo outlet.

ASC: ammonia slip catalyst
DOC: diesel oxidation chamber
SCR: selective catalytic reduction (injecting poo poo to reduce emissions)

warcake fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 14, 2015

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I can't decide if this is terrible, or awesome, but it's a Geo Metro so I'm leaning towards this thread.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Build-your-own-Electric-Car/#step1

Does seem fairly well done though.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

ExplodingSims posted:

I can't decide if this is terrible, or awesome, but it's a Geo Metro so I'm leaning towards this thread.

Jesus that first image

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

cheese-cube posted:

Jesus that first image

It's gotta be a goon.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Based on the tone of the text, he's actually Ned Flanders.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
I lost it when I saw the picture of the heater.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

ExplodingSims posted:

Absolutely shocked that he doesn't carry his cell phone around on a belt clip. He seems like the cell phone on a belt clip type of guy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ExplodingSims posted:

"Let's take a vehicle that gets excellent gas mileage and ruin it"

Well done moron.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It seems to get even better fuel economy now :haw:

Also it's a loving geo metro and he sold the parts he removed on to someone else to keep another one alive, so who cares?

I sure hope he weatherproofed that poor motor and motor controller, though, or they won't last long.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

"Let's take a vehicle that gets excellent gas mileage and ruin it"

Well done moron.

It's a loving Geo Metro, who gives a poo poo?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

It's a cheap car built in the early 90's that gets 50mpg. That's a recipe for certain types of car geeks to give a lot of shits.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BraveUlysses posted:

Of all the cars he could chose to make an electric car out of to 'save the planet', he could've chosen one that was not already doing a good job at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Of all the cars he could chose to make an electric car out of to 'save the planet', he could've chosen one that was not already doing a good job at it.

Seems more like a fun project done by a guy who enjoyed working on it. The loving idiot moron.