Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Raymn posted:

Gave it a try and after restoring, migration assistant still can't find the backup. Thanks for the suggestion!

I'm not sure you tried what I suggested. Did you follow my instructions to delete your startup disk before attempting to restore? I wasn't suggesting you use Migration Assistant on your 2013 backup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Pivo posted:

I'm not sure you tried what I suggested. Did you follow my instructions to delete your startup disk before attempting to restore? I wasn't suggesting you use Migration Assistant on your 2013 backup.

I did. I booted to Recovery mode, erased the drive, and then restored from time machine using the latest available backup which was March 2013. I'm the proud owner of a 10.8.2 versioning laptop. Maybe I misunderstood the step after restoring though?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Raymn posted:

I did. I booted to Recovery mode, erased the drive, and then restored from time machine using the latest available backup which was March 2013. I'm the proud owner of a 10.8.2 versioning laptop. Maybe I misunderstood the step after restoring though?

Nope... That's what fixed it for me when I could only see old backups.

Sorry at this point I have no idea. If you can confirm the backup DOES exist, there likely is something you can do. Mount it on a clean install and rsync I dunno. Sorry I'm on my phone. Good luck

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Pivo posted:

Nope... That's what fixed it for me when I could only see old backups.

Sorry at this point I have no idea. If you can confirm the backup DOES exist, there likely is something you can do. Mount it on a clean install and rsync I dunno. Sorry I'm on my phone. Good luck

No problem. I appreciate your help!

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Anyone have an idea what would cause an OSX installation to stop booting from an internal drive on a Mid-2010 Macbook Pro 15"? I cloned the drive to an external and it boots just fine. I also have a Windows installation that boots fine. The recovery partition is also accessible (it's how I cloned the drive). It looks like the drive disappears once booted into OSX (it's not visible when booted via the external).

I have a thread open in the Haus of Tech Support with more details if anyone has ideas.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
You know what's loving stupid?

every time my macbook pro retina wakes up from sleep, it gets the (2) after the name.

Never happened before 10.10.2.

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

Wild EEPROM posted:

You know what's loving stupid?

every time my macbook pro retina wakes up from sleep, it gets the (2) after the name.

Never happened before 10.10.2.

That happened to me too. The solution that I found that worked was unchecking wake from lan in system preferences > energy saver then editing the computer name in system preferences > sharing. No idea why that happens though.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
This is super stupid but is there any way to duplicate middle click->open new tab functionality on the trackpad for firefox?

I'm pretty sure like 50% of the clicking I do online is middle clicking and not being able to do it is driving me nuts. Right click then clicking the option in the menu just takes SO LONG UGHH.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Cmd-T?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Parts Kit posted:

This is super stupid but is there any way to duplicate middle click->open new tab functionality on the trackpad for firefox?

I'm pretty sure like 50% of the clicking I do online is middle clicking and not being able to do it is driving me nuts. Right click then clicking the option in the menu just takes SO LONG UGHH.

I think it's ctrl-click or option-click. Also, take a look at Better Touch Tool.

Nah he wants "open link in new tab" not "open new tab"

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
CMD-click.

If that is too complicated, I second BetterTouchTool.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Parts Kit posted:

As suggested, Better Touch Tool. That's why I downloaded it in the first place, and it works wonderfully.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Dear Apple,

I found a piece of your UI that could really use some functionality. It looks good but currently appears to be useless window dressing.
I'd appreciate it if you could make these ticky boxes do something.

Best,
- TACD

:ssj:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

TACD posted:

Dear Apple,

I found a piece of your UI that could really use some functionality. It looks good but currently appears to be useless window dressing.
I'd appreciate it if you could make these ticky boxes do something.

Best,
- TACD

:ssj:

I'm pretty sure those not working is a 14 year tradition at this point.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

It usually works for me if I click "Save as Defaults" but it does sometimes reset.

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

spongeworthy posted:

Set it to exclude all your temp files, swap files, album artwork, etc. Use a drive mapper and exclude all the non-critical stuff it returns.

It's worth mentioning that Time Machine automatically excludes VM files, well-known temporary directories, well-known caches, etc.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I'm sorry, but OS X Core Rot is a real thing.

Migration Assistant in Yosemite is pretty much broken. I've been doing a lot of migrations from old drives to new for folks upgrading or moving to Yosemite, and nearly 50% of the time I get stuck at the Migration Assistant's "Starting up" screen after the data is copied.

To top it off, I just finished doing a migration from an old 500 GB laptop drive to a 1 TB SSD, and none of the loving Applications were moved over! When I rebooted I only saw the stock Yosemite apps. Rebooting and rerunning Migration Assistant and only choosing to move just Applications seems to be doing the trick, but it's telling me it's going to take 10 hours just to move 160 GB of apps over Firewire 800?!

None of this poo poo ever happened before to me with MA.

Migration Assistant was fantastic in 10.9, not so much in 10.8, did the job in 10.6/7. But in 10.10 it looks like the office intern was asked to program it while the developers went bowling, IMHO.

edit: tl;dr: Migration Assistsant used to be fire-and-forget rock solid before Yosemite, now it isn't

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 12, 2015

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Staying at my parents house a few days while I recover from surgery. They have a roku, I have a MacBook with a grip of movies, what's the easiest way to hook that up? I see plex is an option but that seems like a lot of overhead

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I found this with Google: http://www.ro-connect.com/

Basically you just spin up a web server and the Roku connects to that, looks like. I don't have a Roku so I don't really know much about how these 'channels' work.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Plex is the easiest way. Run the server on the Macbook, put the Macbook and the Roku on the same network, problem solved.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Anyone else use both BetterTouchTool and Parallels? I've been using this combo for years and never had any trouble with Win7-style snapping on my VM Windows, but today I needed to upgrade to Parallels 10, and my Win7 snapping has broken only for Parallels windows. Everything else (like this Firefox window) can be snapped OK.

It's pretty obvious that my upgrade broke it; I'm just curious if anyone has any solution for this as Googling was not yielding much.

Pakistani Brad Pitt fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 12, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MrChupon posted:

Anyone else use both BetterTouchTool and Parallels? I've been using this combo for years and never had any trouble with Win7-style snapping on my VM Windows, but today I needed to upgrade to Parallels 10, and my Win7 snapping has broken only for Parallels windows. Everything else (like this Firefox window) can be snapped OK.

It's pretty obvious that my upgrade broke it; I'm just curious if anyone has any solution for this as Googling was not yielding much.

Parallels has really screwed the pooch these last couple updates. Fortunately Fusion has pretty much made up ground over the last 5 years or so and runs as good if not better than Parallels. Come join me in the Dark Side.

Or we can start a holy war at the level of "vi vs. emacs". Either is cool.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

flosofl posted:

Parallels has really screwed the pooch these last couple updates. Fortunately Fusion has pretty much made up ground over the last 5 years or so and runs as good if not better than Parallels. Come join me in the Dark Side.

Or we can start a holy war at the level of "vi vs. emacs". Either is cool.

Yeah I don't have a major preference to be honest.

I work on Windows software so my only use for these VMs is as isolated sandboxes to see how our applications behave on various versions of Windows. I don't use any of the integration features at all and in fact don't want Windows links polluting my nice OSX environment or vice-versa. I just started using Parallels since VirtualBox was so prone to snapshot corruption -- I'd literally load up a snapshot that worked fine at 4pm Thursday and it would poo poo the bed with some cryptic error at 8am on Friday.

This is a fairly minor annoyance (having to manually resize VM windows that I previously used BetterTouchTool to tile), but if they continue down the path of breaking my workflow, I'll absolutely check out VMWare.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

MrChupon posted:

Yeah I don't have a major preference to be honest.

I work on Windows software so my only use for these VMs is as isolated sandboxes to see how our applications behave on various versions of Windows. I don't use any of the integration features at all and in fact don't want Windows links polluting my nice OSX environment or vice-versa. I just started using Parallels since VirtualBox was so prone to snapshot corruption -- I'd literally load up a snapshot that worked fine at 4pm Thursday and it would poo poo the bed with some cryptic error at 8am on Friday.

This is a fairly minor annoyance (having to manually resize VM windows that I previously used BetterTouchTool to tile), but if they continue down the path of breaking my workflow, I'll absolutely check out VMWare.
I think I've said this before in the thread but my preference for anything work (especially enterprise) related is definitely VMware Fusion. I find Parallels has better performance in general (so it's great for home use where you're running a single VM that might have some software that requires acceleration) but it's way more unstable than Fusion. Unity isn't as good as Coherence but I tend to run my Fusion VMs in their own Space as a fullscreen window and keep them separate to OS X anyway so that doesn't bother me (and sounds like how you want to run it anyway).

VM performance for Yosemite VMs is dogshit slow regardless of which VM platform you use. Windows is fine on both. This is based on my own experience so YMMV.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Mercurius posted:

VM performance for Yosemite VMs is dogshit slow regardless of which VM platform you use. Windows is fine on both. This is based on my own experience so YMMV.

Disabling BeamSync in OS X can help with performance.

https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2014/12/13/improving-yosemite-vm-performance-in-vmware-fusion/

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Yeah, it's certainly better with BeamSync turned off but it's still pretty choppy compared to how well Mavericks VMs run. I'm sort of surprised that VMware and Parallels haven't done anything about sorting it out with their respective tools installations.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Mercurius posted:

This hasn't been my experience at all. My 13" rMBP on Yosemite runs my SharePoint dev VMs in Fusion as fast or faster as my fully-loaded Thinkpad running the same VM build using Hyper-V. I've never used Parallels though.

edit: I reed gud.V V V V V (Thanks)

beefnoodle fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 13, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

beefnoodle posted:

This hasn't been my experience at all. My 13" rMBP on Yosemite runs my SharePoint dev VMs in Fusion as fast or faster as my fully-loaded Thinkpad running the same VM build using Hyper-V. I've never used Parallels though.

I think what's being referred to here is running Yosemite in a VM. Not Yosemite as a the host OS.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

flosofl posted:

I think what's being referred to here is running Yosemite in a VM. Not Yosemite as a the host OS.
Yeah, sorry, this is what I meant. Yosemite as a host OS is fine, but I have huge problems with the performance of it when it's a guest VM. The BeamSync stuff NeuralSpark linked helps a lot but even with that turned onI still find that as soon as you start doing anything that would involve large numbers of frame update (like scrolling down a page) it turns into a juddery mess again. I've experienced this on both VMware and Parallels so all I can assume is Apple changed something fairly fundamental in Yosemite and it's not something that either VMware or Parallels can fix easily.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Right now in settings, I have to set my computer to password lock immediately after the screen saver starts. I also set a "Hot Corner" in screensaver prefs to start the screen saver immediately so I can just swipe the pointer there and walk away. Does anyone know of a way to assign a Hot Corner to lock the screen immediately, while still allowing a screen-saver to delay X minutes to lock in settings?

I have to lock it when I have to leave my rMBP unattended at my desk during the day. The problem is, when I'm working on things at my desk, sometimes I'm using a different computer. So my screensaver kicks in and I have to enter a password to get back in. It's not a major thing, but a little annoyance that adds up over the day. If I could change that to delay 15 mins or so, it would eliminate much of the "computer was idle now I have to enter a password".

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I don't know about a hot corner, but you can do this: open Keychain Access, go to Preferences, enable 'Show keychain status in menu bar', you'll see a lock near your clock, click that and select 'Lock Screen'. That locks it immediately. Then you can do whatever you want with your screensaver activation time and lock delay time.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pivo posted:

I don't know about a hot corner, but you can do this: open Keychain Access, go to Preferences, enable 'Show keychain status in menu bar', you'll see a lock near your clock, click that and select 'Lock Screen'. That locks it immediately. Then you can do whatever you want with your screensaver activation time and lock delay time.

Holy poo poo, you are awesome. That will work perfectly. Thanks!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Does anyone know of a top-secret highly-experimental method to turn off the scrollwheel acceleration?

I found the way to do it for the mouse pointer itself (defaults write .GlobalPreferences com.apple.mouse.scaling -1), but I have yet to find a way that works to do the same for scrolling. The acceleration may make sense for the trackpad, but it's very annoying on a mouse.

Yes, I found the scrolling speed slider in System Preferences, but all that does is limit the speed at the top of the curve. I want there to be no curve at all. I just want each click up or down on the scrollwheel to mean x lines up or down. Just like every other computer on the planet.

There has GOT to be a way to do this.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Steermouse

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Holy crap THANK you. That scratches my last UI itch.

So, by using a combination of Steermouse to fix the scroll wheel and Smoothmouse to fix the pointer, plus a custom DefaultKeyBinding to fix the Home and End keys and a custom NSDragAndDropTextDelay to get rid of the (downright dangerous) drag-and-drop of selected text... I can finally use this new Macbook without wanting to hurl it off a bridge. It's actually rather nice. :)

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

flosofl posted:

Right now in settings, I have to set my computer to password lock immediately after the screen saver starts. I also set a "Hot Corner" in screensaver prefs to start the screen saver immediately so I can just swipe the pointer there and walk away. Does anyone know of a way to assign a Hot Corner to lock the screen immediately, while still allowing a screen-saver to delay X minutes to lock in settings?

I have to lock it when I have to leave my rMBP unattended at my desk during the day. The problem is, when I'm working on things at my desk, sometimes I'm using a different computer. So my screensaver kicks in and I have to enter a password to get back in. It's not a major thing, but a little annoyance that adds up over the day. If I could change that to delay 15 mins or so, it would eliminate much of the "computer was idle now I have to enter a password".

From memory you can press ctrl-shift-and the power button to put the system to sleep immediately

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Blinkz0rz posted:

From memory you can press ctrl-shift-and the power button to put the system to sleep immediately

That only puts the display to sleep and you need to have the lock delay in Security set to 'Immediately' for it to work as a lock chord like Winkey-L does.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
I tried the hot corner approach for a while, but now I use Alfred and just type 'lock'

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Pivo posted:

That only puts the display to sleep and you need to have the lock delay in Security set to 'Immediately' for it to work as a lock chord like Winkey-L does.

Right, that was the other part of it. Good call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I just got a retina MBP and am in love with it so far. Having recently picked up an iPhone 6+ and iPad, I'm super happy with how well things play together.

This might be a weird thing to be annoyed about, but how do I turn off the sound that plays when I login when the system wakes up? It's some kind of whoosh sound and I can't find an exposed preference anywhere. I tried turning off User Interface sounds, but that didn't apply.

edit: It also plays if I close the screen and then open it prior to the lock timeout - might be a wake sound, not a login event.