Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Now I really want to see the F-3 secret ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

CirclMastr posted:

Now I really want to see the F-3 secret ending.

Here you go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMR0SIp3wwA

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
The best ending is the WESP ending

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
The current Bundle Of Holding is a 2nd Ed oWoD Vampire: the Masquerade collection, if anyone has been inspired to pick up the books. The basic collection looks like good value to me.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRd55I46th8

That's right, it's time for alternate ending excitement wooooooo!

The way this'll work is that for each ending I'll go over the different content (usually only the taxi dialogue and the scene right after that where whoever you side with gives you a briefing), post a video of the ending and then go on to the next one. Giving a screenshot play-by-play of every ending would probably make this too long an affair. With that being said, we'll start with something else - a quick shot of the two player havens we haven't seen yet. We already know of the Santa Monica haven and the Skyeline Apartments one we got for schmoozing with LaCroix, but there's two more havens you can get.

This very nice haven in the Chantry is one Tremere players can get for helping Strauss with the plaguebearer and gargoyle problems and not being a dick. The item on the desk gives a Thaumaturgy boost.

And this ratty-rear end lot in the sewers is one Nosferatu players get after rescuing Barabus and not being a dick to Gary. Note: I took these shots from an earlier save where I hadn't gotten the posters yet because of some reason I've forgotten.

It's such a lovely place the TV doesn't even get reception. The radio does, though! Now, with that out of the way, let's get to the alternate endings, and we'll start with one people have been waiting to see...

The Sabbat Ending

This brings us back to the Hallowbrook Hotel, where the option to side with Andrei presented itself. Get ready for some more terrible dialogue!

It looks as if I was more powerful than all of your creatures in the end. So did I pass that test and can join the Sabbat now?
Yes.
Great!
What do you want?
LaCroix send me to kill you.
What did you say?
Relax, I will just tell him I did the job.
Thank you.
Then I'll kill his Kuei-Jin bitch and hand him to you on a plate!
I cannot help you with that.
No problem. I'll do it alone.
I am pleased.
Why are you so taciturn today?
I don't know.
Then let's do it!
One more thing...
Yes?
Take this.
I'll cut down our enemies with it.

And he gives us the special katana we would have found during the stage otherwise. I had a good laugh at the "Why are you so taciturn today?" "I don't know" part, because I know exactly why he was so taciturn. If you'll look through the sound files, you'll find unused dialogue for some characters (Gary and Heather were two where I found this as well), which is just a bunch of short lines that sound like dialogue puzzle pieces for a planned companion system of sorts. Things like "yes", "no", "what did you say", "I don't know", "I'm sorry", "one more thing", and so on. WESP essentially took those puzzle pieces and made an entire dialogue out of it, which sounds dumb as hell. Oh well, what can you do? Oh, right, bitch about it. Anyway, moving on. Our next stop is our haven, mostly to check up on Heather.

And there she is! Still broken beyond repair, but she's still there. Rejoice?

Furthermore, there's this email we've got.

quote:

<Subject> The endgame
<From> a friend

The position of your pieces is the key to the endgame.

No idea what this is about. Possibly referring to the puzzle with the jade statues? This isn't one of the vanilla emails, so I presume it's WESP-made, especially given that it only seems to show up during the Sabbat ending. Now, moving o-

GAH. What are you doing up here, Heather? I can't recall having her go up the stairs, so her suddenly being here scared the poo poo out of me. Anyway, I said I was going to take the opportunity of having to go through more of the game again with the Sabbat ending to be a dick to everybody, but it turns out that most people don't really care at this point. Take for instance the talk with Damsel - every point where you can choose has a regular response and a snarky rear end in a top hat response, and it doesn't make a lick of a difference which you pick. There's only one person where being a dick is actually worthwhile, though it's a good one. Let's completely destroy Chunk's sense of self-worth, shall we?

THAT'S IT! LISTEN UP! I FIND YOU COMPLETELY REPULSIVE!

IF WE WERE STUCK ON AN ISLAND, I'D HUNT YOU FOR SPORT!

IT'S CALLED FRUIT, FATASS, LOOK INTO IT!

Now buzz me up, monkey boy!
Yes, ma'am.

One side note - I did in fact get the dialogue showing that LaCroix admits to the alliance with the Kuei-jin. You get it by sympathizing with him, saying that it was a necessary measure to get the Anarchs under control. Anyway, nothing much else interesting happens until the ending, at least not as far as new game content is concerned. Once you get to Ming-Xiao's temple, things are pretty much the same every time.

Here's me having noclipped into the tram going up to Griffith Park, getting locked in cutscene mode, and watching as the tram just passes through me and leaves, leaving me locked in place and unable to trigger the map transition, necessitating a reload.

Here's the Griffith Park werewolf getting a bit confused: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUCAblpxSvk

Here's me going through the first part of the endgame: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV78k4rgJRc Whoooosh!

The taxi conversation is cut short, since there's no need to pick who we're siding with.

Here's me going through the second part of the endgame: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSCZNz3tQIc Whoooosh again!

Sadly, bosses can't be beaten quickly by noclipping and godmoding.

Here's me going through the third part of the endgame: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b-HPLTMPhk Whoooosh thrice!

And finally, here's the long-awaited Sabbat ending: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UaefoSOSTs

Feel the effort oozing from every crevice. Now, with that done, let's get to the other endings.

The LaCroix Ending

So... you know Jack?
I only recently made the acquaintance of Mister Jack. He intrigues me very much. There are so few like him these nights, I think. But then, I only know what I hear from the others about the Kindred of this city.

Well, you're in cahoots with Jack, judging by the ending, but whatever.

It sounds as if there are many who seek to sway the children of Caine to their side... many who believe they shape the destiny of the blood. You work for Prince LaCroix, don't you?
Yeah. For all his faults, he has the city's best interests at heart.
I could take you downtown, if that is your wish. This Prince LaCroix - is he really the tyrant the anarchs make him out to be?
No. What LaCroix is, is a leader. Something the anarchs can't understand.
But what of the anarchs? Don't you worry that Prince LaCroix's vision for this city precludes their existence? Their ways of life seem incompatible.
The anarchs are bound to implode without leadership. They have no choice.
LaCroix makes many new enemies all the time. It will not be long before someone challenges him for this city. Is by his side the best place to stand?
The prince has got a secret weapon. I'm not worried.
The Ankaran Sarcophagus, you mean? Strange how Kindred from all over the city seem to fear its presence. Have you seen what's inside?

I wish there was an option to say "I'm not talking about the sarcophagus, I'm talking about me :smug:".

No. But it's something powerful, I can tell.
If all LaCroix's plans hinge on the contents of the sarcophagus, what would he, and you, do, if there was nothing inside?
Hmm... good point. But I'll take my chances.
I will drop you off downtown, if you've made your decision to pledge allegiance to LaCroix. It is a shame though, that the anarch experiment must come to an end. I suppose Enoch also did not last forever.
Everything comes to an end eventually. Take me to LaCroix.
Very well.

Yes, Seb, Chunk was going to detain Melissa, should she survive being attacked by a loving werewolf. Brilliant plan.

[Persuasion] We both know Mr. LaCroix can be a bit dramatic. It's just business.
Well, uh... I guess it's alright. Eh... go on up. Oh sheesh, I hope I don't lose my flashlight privileges for this.

A werewolf killed Nines. There was a fire, we were attacked by werewolves.
Fire. Yes... it all makes sense. The Kuei-jin must have followed you and set the fire. The fire triggered the wrath of the werewolves. So few Kindred have ever walked away from a werewolf attack. Huh, you've proved yourself indispensable.

Personally, I think that LaCroix stops trying to kill you at this point. He should finally realize "wait, maybe I shouldn't gently caress with the lady that just walked away from a werewolf attack, killed Bach, and did all other sorts of crazy poo poo and is still coming back to follow my orders".

So you'll call off the blood hunt against me?
Of course, you're innocent. You're an asset to me; I'll take care of you. But there's one last thing I need you to do for me. The last order of business before we sleep easy. My protége, it's time I told you about power.
Go on.
Power is life to our kind. Those without power disintegrate into the nights of the past. Hundreds of names I know once instilled fear, now unknown. You see, it's not enough to attain power, one must also maintain power. And that sarcophagus is power. Its contents will maintain our rule for centuries to come. I've felt it, all have felt it since it appeared. But until we get the key back, we're vulnerable. I've relied on you often in these past nights and you've failed to disappoint me so far. So, one last task remains before we can assume total power. You must get that key back from Ming-Xiao.
Done. I'll return with the key.

And when we return with the key, we get the LaCroix ending: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtonoVv39Ng

The Kuei-jin Ending

Ahem.
So...
The night has not been kind to you?
No night has been kind since I became... never mind.
Caine's blood courses through me as well... there is no need for Masquerade.
Curse... that sounds about right.
In your voice, there is desperation... certainly there is an exit out of your predicament?
Every Kindred wants me dead. But the Kuei-jin don't.
The Eastern invaders? No, I cannot understand - no matter how dire their situation, our blood and theirs cannot be reconciled.
Most of our kind wants me dead right now. I don't have a choice.
You could run... but do you really think you could escape your reputation? I know little about you except the rumors that you've killed the anarch leader and betrayed your own kind.
Since they already believe I'm allied with the Kuei-jin, I might as well join them.
Very well. If that is the destination you choose, I will take you to Chinatown. But... you realize if I do so, the blood you carry will doom you - an outsider forever in one society, a traitor to your own.
Maybe... but I'll take my chances.
Very well, I will take this cab to Chinatown. But... when you leave it, realize that you leave Kindred society forever.
gently caress 'em. Drive.

That's a relief.
Neither need you fear the Kuei-jin soldiers; you have proven yourself a worthy champion and we are honored to have you as ours. I had so hoped your path would lead back to me.
I'm no Kuei-jin soldier, but this was my best option. Can you accept me?
Why wouldn't I? A great warrior of low birth is still a great warrior.
I'm sick of the prince and his games.
And you will not be made to endure them any longer. The lowly will do what they may to restrain those who would rise above. You shone too brilliantly to remain mired in their mediocrity.
LaCroix set me up.
The quest for the Ankaran Sarcophagus has taken LaCroix far from his path. He lacks balance, he's overextended, and now without his champion. It is our time to strike.
That will solve all of this?
The snake must be killed in its nest. You must go to the tower and put an end to LaCroix's rule before he brings the very city down around him. None of us will find peace while he stokes the fires of conflict.
Agreed. It will be done.

From there, we head to Venture Towers and deal with LaCroix, and then we get the Kuei-jin ending: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vLTsfiF4cU

The Anarch Ending

So... you are a friend of Mister Jack's?
Yeah, I guess. I like what he stands for. Even LaCroix seems afraid of him.
Hmmm. I only recently made the acquaintance of Mister Jack. He intrigues me very much. There are so few like him these nights, I think. But then, I only know what I hear from the others about the Kindred of this city.
I'm through with LaCroix. I should have backed Nines right when he saved me.
The anarchs... a curious experiment. But they have lost many battles and more leaders - their rebellion has already failed in the eyes of many. Do you feel their notions of freedom have any real possibility?
drat straight I do. As long as a few believe, it'll remain a possibility.
If the anarchs managed to recapture this city, it would not be long before someone challenged them for it. Conflict is always an eventuality in their life. Could you spend an eternity this way?
It may not be the best choice, but it's the best choice I have.
The anarch spirit exists within the blood of many. Few, though, are willing to listen to it. Perhaps, if a few more did, they would not have lost so much.
If the anarchs had me, they wouldn't need anyone else. Yeah, I'm that good.
If the anarchs managed to recapture this city, it would not be long before someone challenged them for it. Conflict is always an eventuality in their life. Could you spend an eternity this way?

Whoops, dialogue loop. Guess that wasn't the right path. This happens a lot if you're only slightly indecisive.

Absolutely. I wouldn't have it any other way.
The anarchs have lost less than is thought. I hear there is one left who may be able to revitalize the movement. Maybe, though, it is just a rumor.
One man versus the Camarilla. Good luck.
I know where you might find them. But you would have to be ready to commit to the anarchs' fight for this city. I could just as easily take you downtown to see LaCroix.
No. The Free State must continue to exist. Take me to this contact.
If you share the anarchs' passion and would share the burden of such a fire, we will go to meet the last person capable of keeping them together.
With me on their side, the anarchs can't lose. Let's go.
If that is your decision.

And with that, we find ourselves at the Luckee Star motel! And Skelter's there!

So... you're not gonna kill me?
Don't worry, you're safe here. You're under anarch protection now. No worries.
Is Nines alive?
He's inside. Motherfucker's tellin' some tall tales, saying he wrestled a werewolf. You believe that poo poo?
His was more of a were-pup. I had to take care of Big Daddy.
Yeah, whatever. And the pope's my ghoul. Get in there.
Thanks, Skelter.

Yeah, that werewolf is still there, dancing.

Cool it, Damsel. I'm on your side.
Really?
Yeah, really. Can I go in now?
Yeah. But I'm out here, so... look, do I have have to say at this point I'll kick your rear end?

You know, you've never actually DONE it, so eh. Of course, it seems a given that that would probably end with Damsel getting her rear end kicked several ways from Sunday. She's no Jack, or Nines. Not even close. She talks a big game, certainly, but that's about it.

In your own way, you're quite the charmer, Damsel.
Alright, go on in. I'll make sure no one interrupts. But man, I HOPE somebody tries!

I thought you were dead! That werewolf had you!

Can't say I got out without a scratch. Helluva brawl, though. Unfortunately, we don't have time to swap war stories. We were set up, kid. Someone tried to get rid of us, and the list of suspects is short: LaCroix or Xiao.
We've got to kill both of them!
drat straight.
I'll rip LaCroix's head off. I'll drain Xiao of everything.
Good. Alright, here's what's going on... I've already sent the troops out to raise hell all over the city. The Kuei-jin think we're busy with the Cam, so... they won't be expecting an attack. You know what's gotta be done, right?
Say no more. Xiao's dead.
Xiao's been in LA for too many nights - make tonight her last.
I'll kill Xiao, kill all of them. An army of corpses will line my path.
Once Xiao's out of the way, head to LaCroix's tower. You oust LaCroix, you'll be a hero in this city. I'm countin' on you.
It'll rain pieces of LaCroix all over downtown tonight.
(Ed. Note: If only you knew how right you are... :allears:)
Isaac's guaranteed me nobody's gettin' into Hollywood. I'll survive, but I wish I could be fighting at your side. This one's for LA, kid - no pressure.
Do you have something to help me out, like that grenade of yours?
Just follow this street to the end.
I will.

And this nets us Nines's grenade! I'm sure this packs a hell of a punch, but I actually couldn't use it. I tried to use it against Ming-Xiao, and the loving thing just refused to work. I can only presume WESP hard-locked it so that the boss fight wouldn't become to easy, similar to how he nerfed the gently caress out of the flamethrower against Ming-Xiao and the Sheriff. Anyway, nothing interesting from here, so here's the anarch ending: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRzyC61enBc

The Camarilla Ending

You ever have one of those nights where you realize fate just despises you?
The night has not been kind to you?
No night has been kind since I became... never mind.
Caine's blood courses through me as well... there is no need for Masquerade.
Curse... that sounds about right.
In your voice, there is desperation... certainly there is an exit out of your predicament?
If I can get the prince to understand my innocence, I'm in the clear.
I could take you downtown, if that is your wish. This Prince LaCroix - is he really the tyrant the anarchs make him out to be?
The prince... yeah. But the Camarilla, their organization is necessary.
The Camarilla... hmm. I once thought they could provide stability for our kind, but the LaCroix's of the world have squashed such hopes. Perhaps if he could be deposed... I would regain my faith.
LaCroix's a lost cause. But I haven't given up on the Camarilla.
I have heard LaCroix is unpopular with others in the Camarilla. Did you know a prince cannot be put in power withouth the city's primogen? If there was one that wanted him removed... perhaps it could be made so.
Strauss! Strauss wants the prince gone.
I can drop you off downtown if you wish, but if the primogen is not a man of action, insurrection is not looked upon lightly.
Strauss will do it. I'm sure.
I will take you to this representative of the Camarilla, if you have made up your mind to secure a future with them.
I have. Chantry, step on it.

Thanks, Max. Listen... the prince has been double dealing with the Kuei-jin.
Hmmm. It is as I had feared. The Beast takes many forms within us, and it seems that LaCroix has finally surrendered to its power. Please, excuse me for a moment.
Yes. Yes. I see. Of course, my lord. It will be done.
The prince and his new-found eastern allies need to be dealt with swiftly and severely. You have proven your strength many times in this drama. Are you now ready to prove your loyalty to the Camarilla?
That's why I'm here.
Your loyalty will be remembered. But tread carefully, neonate. I fear that the night herals something far more sinister than the petty machinations of a rogue prince.
What do you mean?
I do not knwo. This sarcophagus seems to have unleashed a raging whirlwind, pulling all of those who surround it into this storm. I cannot see what secrets it holds, but be warned... a dark shadow falls across my mind. There are some powers left best undisturbed.
I think that the Kuei-jin have the key to the sarcophagus.
Then your path leads first to the Kuei-jin Temple, where you must dispose of this Ming-Xiao and her minions. After you have secured the key, you must deal with LaCroix and his rabid dog. Only then will justice have been served.
I understand. I will do what needs to be done... for the Camarilla.
Of that I have no doubt, neonate. I wish you luck in the final act of this drama. Farewell.
See ya, Max.

And from there things go as normal, leading to the Camarilla ending: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhVPKA5S8Ok

And that's it, folks! Well... not quite. There is, of course, one remaining ending...

The Seeeeeeecret Ending

This easter egg ending simply requires us to be on any path where we get the "standard" LaCroix conversation (which I think means Independent and Anarch). I should probably not even say anything about it, just go with the video, so here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHs2MBV6V6Q

Good night everybody!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Now, for the postscript for this LP, which I talked about earlier:

The theory behind this is that Bloodlines has quite a few mysteries going around that people like to theorize about, and I think this LP should see some of that immortalized as well. So what I'd like to do is posit some questions and see what answers everybody has to those questions, then collect some of them and put them together into a post.

As for what questions, I've put up a few earlier in the thread, but personally, I'd say this is a good time for you to ask your own questions you might have about the plot/background while I put together the first part of the Bloodlines Mysteries, the answer to the question "Who is the Taxi Driver?". Of course, the reason I'm not positing that question to the thread is that 1) we've already talked about it and 2) it's pretty obvious it's Caine. Still, there are a few clues spread around the game that would make for an interesting collection.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oDXRo78rtY

?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

No,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBR2Z8owAX8

In fact, that has been the running theme throughout the entirety of my time running the LP. From Monarchy Now to The Spirit Never Dies, every single title has been a Falco title. Because why the gently caress not.

EDIT: I've been wondering if people have been picking up on that or if it just went under the radar. I recall Falco being fairly popular in the States, you know, relatively speaking, but never a big thing. The fact that I never used the most recognizable titles like Der Kommissar didn't help, I guess.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 13, 2015

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

TheMcD posted:

"Who is the Taxi Driver?". Of course, the reason I'm not positing that question to the thread is that 1) we've already talked about it and 2) it's pretty obvious it's Caine.

I haven't read it myself, but I have heard that there's a novel or two where a Malkavian who thinks he's Caine is buddies with Smiling Jack, which was White Wolf's retcon of Caine-in-Bloodlines. Whether they did this because the metaplot demanded that Caine was elsewhere at the time, because the Bloodlines appearance didn't fit Caine's character (possibly because the Time of Judgement book for Vampire came out very late in Bloodlines' development), or just as a kneejerk retcon because they didn't like Bloodlines playing with the biggest name in their flagship product is anyone's guess.

Though that discussion inevitably devolves into a tedious one about authorial intent and relative canonicity, so my position is that Caine's the cabbie if you want him to be and he's not if you don't.

TheMcD posted:

No,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBR2Z8owAX8

In fact, that has been the running theme throughout the entirety of my time running the LP. From Monarchy Now to The Spirit Never Dies, every single title has been a Falco title. Because why the gently caress not.

EDIT: I've been wondering if people have been picking up on that or if it just went under the radar. I recall Falco being fairly popular in the States, you know, relatively speaking, but never a big thing. The fact that I never used the most recognizable titles like Der Kommissar didn't help, I guess.

I thought Masterplan too, but that probably says more about my taste in music than anything.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Is the Anarch ending supposed to cut out before you meet up with the Anarchs?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

dancingbears posted:

Is the Anarch ending supposed to cut out before you meet up with the Anarchs?

That's what it did in my game. It confused me, but I think I know what happened here. As far as I can tell from looking at Youtube videos of the ending, it goes like this:

Independent:

1) Beat up LaCroix, drop key, leave
2) Earthshattering kaboom
3) Leave through wreckage
4) Flip Nines off
5) Cut to Jack

Vanilla Anarch ending:

3) Cut to Jack

WESP Anarch ending:

3) Leave through wreckage
4) Cut to Jack

As far as I can tell, no footage exists for meeting up with the Anarchs again, but I guess WESP figured he might as well use the shot of the PC walking through the wreckage because it looked badass?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Congrats on the hard work and enjoyable LP.

Has anyone played this mod before? Is it any good? It's being marketted as an "expansion" to the basegame

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/02/12/vampire-bloodlines-antitribu-final-nights/

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

tithin posted:

Congrats on the hard work and enjoyable LP.

Has anyone played this mod before? Is it any good? It's being marketted as an "expansion" to the basegame

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/02/12/vampire-bloodlines-antitribu-final-nights/

I want to try it, but am still locked in with WESP's patch because of the LP. Once I get a couple shots I need for some of the Bloodlines Mysteries things I've got planned, I'll check it out, because it does sound interesting.

Though from what I've heard, it's not close to being finished right now, so take the "expansion" moniker with a grain of salt, or rather an entire loving shaker.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
I really love Lacroix's panicking suddenly going deadpan in the Kuei-jin ending.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I hate all the endings. The Camarilla one is the least objectionable, but it's still pretty bad because it doesn't actually resolve anything.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Lots of words incoming:

The VtM:B LP curse is broken! Rejoicing!

I actually really liked the Sabbat ending. I think the brooding atmosphere kicked rear end, the hell with all these morons, burn the whole city to the ground with the Sabbat like no other choice possibly could. Wish we could've seen if and how Troika would've done that. It's annoying that we can see the bottom of the Pacific Ocean apparently (just one thing I hate about the Kuei-jin ending). Melissa should've been there on the boat at the end though.

I love the faintest of implications that Nines removed the werewolf's head with the grenade he threatened the shovelheads with in the cutscene all the way back when we first got to downtown. So we know he's got grenades on him. Did you see anything else that could do that job? There wasn't a big sword on his back or anything. How else are you going to instakill a wolf pile-driving you down a hill before it instakills you? :speculate:but:iia:

Kuei-jin ending is dumb. A couple goons with AUGs would get ejected through the roof by any PC at this juncture. Melissa in particular would probably appreciate the gentle lead massage to work out all the muscle knots. There's really nothing the Chinatown gang can do but kiss your rear end for their own sake. Also, how long would chains last against a mid-gen burning blood points? Anyone smart enough to run the local Keui-jin clan isn't going to start backstabbing a walking death machine even if they don't totally like them. Why couldn't she just be reasonable and actually defy player expectations?

e: ahaha the secret ending activation dialogue changes if you already hit the easter egg at the motel!

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 13, 2015

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:

Tiggum posted:

I hate all the endings. The Camarilla one is the least objectionable, but it's still pretty bad because it doesn't actually resolve anything.

Pretty much. It's ride off into the sunset bullshit without any payoff.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

DeusExMachinima posted:

Anyone smart enough to run the local Keui-jin clan isn't going to start backstabbing a walking death machine even if they don't totally like them. Why couldn't she just be reasonable and actually defy player expectations?

On the plus side, at least LaCroix seemed earnest at the end. Still, I don't think it's a coincidence that the two bad endings are the ones that let you skip one of the final dungeons.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

You really have to admire all the work Jack put into this stuff. People wouldn't normally freak out about an old sarcophagus being turned up, but it ends up surrounded by a bunch of guys who look like they were killed by a vampire, because they were, and looking like it was opened from the inside, because that's where Jack was. Then he filled it full of C4 and swam ashore. Maybe took a boat, he's a pirate. Then he just waits for the lucky winner to blow himself to pieces, which they're going to do because they can all sense Caine and think it's a 3rd gen.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
I like to think all the creepiness in the night air that the vampires are feeling isn't because of the sarcophagus but because Cain is there.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Random lore question. Vampires have ghouls, do mages have something similar? Not like a human who just doesn't cause paradox, I mean like ones who work some small amount of magic like a ghoul can learn some disciplines.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

xanthan posted:

Random lore question. Vampires have ghouls, do mages have something similar? Not like a human who just doesn't cause paradox, I mean like ones who work some small amount of magic like a ghoul can learn some disciplines.

Yes, it was mentioned earlier: they're called consors -- nonmages who don't count as "witnesses" for paradox. With the appropriate spheres you can alter them or lay enchantments on them, but otherwise there's no innate abilities they have other than "not causing my boss to explode when I'm around."

There are "lesser" mages known as sorcerors or hedge mages who can work what amounts to non-blood powered thaumaturgy (that is, discrete abilities based on limited Paths and rituals) but real Mages tend to either dislike/dismiss them or ignore them entirely.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

xanthan posted:

Yeah. The most direct equivalent are called "hedge magicians," which are basically Thamaturgical paths providing limited effects rather than everything you can do with a sphere.

There are also psychics and just weird magic creatures, of course.
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/19/Ascensions-Right-Hand?it=1
http://whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/Ascension%27s_Right_Hand

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Of course, seeing the other endings, that Cam warehouse and everything in it are going to blow sky high sometime soon.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Glazius posted:

Of course, seeing the other endings, that Cam warehouse and everything in it are going to blow sky high sometime soon.

Well wait, Jack likely set it to only go off if opened. You know, so he KNOWS whoever gets killed knows he did it and had time to see his note.

Vagon
Oct 22, 2005

Teehee!

Glazius posted:

Yeah, the timer isn't ticking inside the box until it's popped open.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Good job finishing the LP, and twice so for taking over for the grindy, more boring parts.
One thing that absolutely irritates me about the Sabbat ending is that WESP seems to have the compulsive need to have everything voiced. Couldn't he just have written some proper dialog and left it without voice acting? Because the way things are it super disjointed and pretty stupid.

Edit: is Messerach anyone noteworthy in the WoD in any way, or is it just a random non-magic mummy whose sarcophagus Jack appropriated?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

sheep-dodger posted:

Good job finishing the LP, and twice so for taking over for the grindy, more boring parts.
One thing that absolutely irritates me about the Sabbat ending is that WESP seems to have the compulsive need to have everything voiced. Couldn't he just have written some proper dialog and left it without voice acting? Because the way things are it super disjointed and pretty stupid.

Edit: is Messerach anyone noteworthy in the WoD in any way, or is it just a random non-magic mummy whose sarcophagus Jack appropriated?

Just a dude who had his stone bed jacked by er, Jack.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
WESP is one of those modders who marches to the beat of his own drum. There's reason people started using :WESP: as a faux-smiley.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
It wouldn't surprise me in this case if there were limitations to force that. The Sabbat Ending is pretty much the Camarilla and Kuei-Jin spliced together with different models and without Melissa being on the sarcophagus as it's dumped into the ocean.

Or it could be an effort thing by doing that.

Either way hooray it's done and fully dissected! I enjoyed the ride and all of the White Wolf chat in the thread.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Dear goodness, how did I forget to post this until now?

Wesp? Wesp is a bit of a oddball, and he's not so good at original content, but ultimately his mod was pretty harmless.

Gamergaters, revel in the misogyny of the Companion mod!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiqEWG7PaJI

Slipping someone a roofie, beating them senseless, playing on their addictions, or just straight up mindrape, any way is a good way to enslave a woman to do your bidding!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrhQoW12MD8

Let's not forget the sexy poses and outfits!

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Well, that certainly was creepy.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Oh good God, that was totally unnecessary.

And wrong. SO wrong.

mauman fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 13, 2015

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Good job on the LP, it was great, and thanks to all the goons who contributed to the WoD :spergin:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFuGfwIhv14

Welcome to the first edition of Bloodlines Mysteries! Now that we've seen most of the game (bar some unique situations that shouldn't have much of an impact) it's time to go back and check out some of the questions we might have had at the beginning of the game. To start this off, here's something rather simple as an example: We're going to go over the prophecies the thinblood Rosa had for us back in Santa Monica and see just what they meant and how correct they are. Spoiler alert - they're all correct because clairvoyance is easy when you're being written by the gods of the world of this game. Some of these things will be more obvious than others.

Look, here's a picture of her I totally didn't just take from back when gatz was still playing to save me from having to replay up to that part! Now, let's get into what she said:

You've been... no, you're going to China.

This is referring to our trip to Chinatown.

Why's he smiling? The father? Is it the father behind him?

The one that is smiling is, of course, Smiling Jack, and the "father" being "behind him" is referring to the scene after the ending where Jack is chillin' like a villain with an ancient corpse and the taxi driver walks up behind him with some dark energy around him. This is another pointer towards the taxi driver being Caine - we'll go into those pointers in more detail later.

You... You chased it for the one at the top of the city... on the sea, underground... you found it in the crypt... it's open... oh... oh, god... run!

Right, we have something about the sarcophagus here. This is detailing Melissa's quest to find it for LaCroix ("the one at the top of the city"), searching on the Elizabeth Dane ("on the sea"), searching through the Nosferatu ("underground") and eventually finding it in the Giovanni crypt. Finally, we're given a hint that whatever the gently caress is in that sarcophagus, it's Bad News with capital letters. Ironically, Melissa was told the one thing she would have needed to do in the situation when she opens the sarcophagus, and yet she forgot when she actually did it - just loving run!

One hand moves the pieces of the game - the winner keeps his hand on the pawn.

A chess motif - reminiscent of our "friend". This seems to point towards the idea that the "friend" is also the one pulling the strings behind the scenes, which opens up a bigger can of worms. The pawn, of course, is Melissa, to be used by all sides of the game.

Murder? Yes... the killer is dead. He moves soon and travels to the heart of the Angels... and to the home of the stars... and then returns fufilled... and empty once again.

This is referring to the Southland Slasher. "The killer is [un]dead", has recently killed in Santa Monica and moves on to downtown LA ("the heart of the Angels") to kill the next person, then heads to Hollywood ("the home of the stars") to kill again. He then comes back to Santa Monica at Brothers Salvage, having finished his work ("then returns fulfilled") and having run out of the fury that fueled him throughout the killings, where the Beast came out in full blast ("and empty once again").

Whether or not you win the game, matters not. It's if you bought it.

Except, y'know, Troika has been dead for ages, so now all you're doing if you buy the game is give Activision and Valve money. The companies that ended up killing Troika. You're funding the killers of Troika, you hear? For shame!

The crimson ship... he's not who he says she is and it's going to burn... dinosaurs?... he's furious... the man with the crest... the voice in the darkness, boss... Chinese brothers... follow the lights to the end of the tunnel... where do you want to go...

This is another one of those prophecies that details our path. We start, I presume, on the Dane ("the crimson ship" - crimson meaning the large amount of blood?), then Grout's mansion - and this actually already shows that something was up with 'Nines' ("he" - 'Nines' - "is not who he says she is" - referring to Ming-Xiao masquerading as Nines) - where Bach sets fire to the place ("and it's going to burn"). Then, the museum with that surprise raptor ("dinosaurs?"), where we find the sarcophagus has been stolen. LaCroix is not happy about this ("he's furious").

And at this point I give up for a bit, because I have no idea just who "the man with the crest" is. From what I can tell, a "crest" is "a component of an heraldic display, consisting of the symbol or device borne on top of the helmet." Is that pointing towards Andrei and his really loving big head thing?

EDIT: Thread to the rescue!

EponymousMrYar posted:

The man with the crest is likely to be Andrei though it could also refer to Grunfeld Bach if you follow the heraldic display bit rather than the more literal crest one. His heraldry being that of the Society of Leopold.
It's a bit of a stretch so I'm pretty certain it refers to Andrei.

OAquinas posted:

Given the position in the monologue--before Gary but after LaCroix being furious--it's almost certainly the Tzimisce encounter.

Tehan posted:

Almost definitely Andrei. In this context, a crest is (to steal a definition from Wikipedia) 'a comb or tuft of feathers, fur, or skin on the head of a bird or other animal', which is absolutely what Andrei's sporting. For comparison, I present the adorable crested gecko. Note the prominent ridges that run from the eyes to the rear of the head on both of these critters.

Stroth posted:

The man with the crest is Isaac. He's a Baron and there's crests all over the walls of his office.

The Isaac explanation makes sense, too, though I still tend towards Andrei. Still, either way, it's referring to our time in Hollywood.

After that, it's the sewers and finding Gary ("the voice in the darkness, boss"), then eventually getting to the Giovanni mansion, where the Chang brothers ("Chinese brothers") were ready to try and take Melissa out. Not sure what the bit about "following the lights to the end of the tunnel" is about, but "where do you want to go" then points towards the segment where we decide who to side with while in Caine's taxi.

Hmm... the man on the couch... the lone wolf... all others - tread carefully.

In response to our question of "who can we trust", the answer is Mercurio ("the man on the couch") and Beckett ("the lone wolf"), and that does seem to ring true.

Many. Everywhere. Some with swords, some with smiles. But I pity them. You are a remarkable foe.

I might be reading too much into this, but the "some with smiles" part in this answer to the question of "what enemies will we face" is kind of indicating that Smiling Jack might not be the friend you think him for. In the end, he has his own agenda, and if you're in the way, then you're getting blown up. Of course, it could just mean that some people are blatant in their enemy-ness, and others are more subtle and act friendly.

EDIT: Once again, thread to the rescue with a much more plausible idea:

Classtoise posted:

(Late, but) I think "Some with smiles" refers to Ming. She tells you how proud she is and how accepting she will be of you and how you're totally awesome and she'd NEVER betray you no sir!

And then as soon as LaCroix is out of the way she betrays you. So I think that line was more straight forward (an enemy who will pretend to be a friend), especially considering Jack shows a bit of disappointment in the endings where Melissa dies.

Don't open it.

And finally, we end on the one line that pervades this game. Between the blatant ones like this one and the final email from the "friend", and more subtle ones like with Mitnick ("what kind of idiot just opens it?"), this is a quite omnipresent line.

Anyway, that's all for what Rosa had to say. Tune in next time for some Malkavian action when we'll be looking at the taxi driver!

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 27, 2015

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Added Space posted:

Dear goodness, how did I forget to post this until now?

Wesp? Wesp is a bit of a oddball, and he's not so good at original content, but ultimately his mod was pretty harmless.

Gamergaters, revel in the misogyny of the Companion mod!

Slipping someone a roofie, beating them senseless, playing on their addictions, or just straight up mindrape, any way is a good way to enslave a woman to do your bidding!

Let's not forget the sexy poses and outfits!

So yeah, this is mad creepy but... it's interesting that apparently LaCroix has unused dialog granting you the right to sire? The designer isn't adding new lines, or else there'd be no need to chop up existing dialog so much. Huh.

ETA: Unless that was also stitched-together dialog, just done subtly enough that I didn't notice!

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 14, 2015

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

TheMcD posted:

The crimson ship... he's not who he says she is and it's going to burn... dinosaurs?... he's furious... the man with the crest... the voice in the darkness, boss... Chinese brothers... follow the lights to the end of the tunnel... where do you want to go...

And at this point I give up for a bit, because I have no idea just who "the man with the crest" is. From what I can tell, a "crest" is "a component of an heraldic display, consisting of the symbol or device borne on top of the helmet." Is that pointing towards Andrei and his really loving big head thing?

The man with the crest is likely to be Andrei though it could also refer to Grunfeld Bach if you follow the heraldic display bit rather than the more literal crest one. His heraldry being that of the Society of Leopold.
It's a bit of a stretch so I'm pretty certain it refers to Andrei.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Given the position in the monologue--before Gary but after LaCroix being furious--it's almost certainly the Tzimisce encounter. LaCroix flips out at losing the sarc, and sends you to find Gary. You then go to hollywood, meet and fight Andrei, and immediately meet gary afterwards (after noclipping, anyway...)

"follow the lights to the end of the tunnel" is a reference to the monastery and its underground caves. You fight the chang brothers, retrieve the sarcophagus, and then need the key--and the archaeologist who knows about it is kidnapped by the Society. After that, you get the final endgame and "where do you want to go"

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Almost definitely Andrei. In this context, a crest is (to steal a definition from Wikipedia) 'a comb or tuft of feathers, fur, or skin on the head of a bird or other animal', which is absolutely what Andrei's sporting. For comparison, I present the adorable crested gecko. Note the prominent ridges that run from the eyes to the rear of the head on both of these critters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Thanks again for seeing through another LP.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it always stood out to me that this game's "bad" endings were much harder to get than the good ones. IIRC in vanilla, in order to side with LaCroix you have to complete the Elizabeth Dane and the museum without once being spotted and can't ever be rude to him. Is it even possible to lock yourself out of the Anarch ending?

• Locked thread