Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

triplexpac posted:

Haha yeah considering how hosed up his hip was from years of big elbows, maybe he should have not jumped off a cage.

But then again sometimes the Macho Madness takes control and you can't help yourself

The cage jump wasn't even in Savage's actual match, he ran in on the Hogan/Piper match (lol at that being the main event on the same show as Eddie/Rey) and just jumped straight into the ring.

That was the same main event that had the fan climbing into the cage and all the wrestlers beating him up in what may or may not have been legit, and then the show just going off the air with Piper still handcuffed to the cage. It was a classic WCW overbooked clusterfuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Gatorfade posted:

Didn't savage have some ok matches with Bret around 98-99? Like not stellar, but pretty good.

They had a match at Slamboree '98 that was like, ok-ish, mediocre-to-passable at best. If I remember correctly, Bret wasn't working as hard as he could, but it was getting towards end-times WCW, so why the gently caress you would I don't know.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Gatorfade posted:

Didn't savage have some ok matches with Bret around 98-99? Like not stellar, but pretty good.

Derp derp, I posted this in the wrong thread:

We could argue back and forth about which matches were decent vs. good, but basically if Savage had a good match in WCW, it was because Flair or DDP helped.

Hart/Savage had only happened once before, on a WWF house show, and this was the first, last, and only singles match they ever had on TV. In true WCW style it was an overbooked mess and basically everything that nobody wanted that match to be. Savage was injured, Bret was turned heel way too soon, the storyline leading up to it made no sense, there were multiple run-ins and Piper taking a ref bump, and then Piper Dusty-Finished it on the following Nitro. The only saving grace was that Bret is so good, him doing things by-the-numbers can save a match from being a turd.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
So what happened with Bret's WCW run? Him leaving WWF was a big enough deal that Montreal happened, but I don't really remember him doing much of note in WCW. Was it the typical Hogan/nWo putting themselves over everyone, or was it something else?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
IIRC, in the WWE match Bret accidentally potatoed Randy, apologized afterwards, and Randy goes "S'okay, it's good for business!".

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Benne posted:

So what happened with Bret's WCW run? Him leaving WWF was a big enough deal that Montreal happened, but I don't really remember him doing much of note in WCW. Was it the typical Hogan/nWo putting themselves over everyone, or was it something else?

Bret was brought in and originally planned to feud with Flair, Hogan and probably Sting at some point. A match with Flair happened at Souled Out 98 and did really well, but they had their legs cut out from under them and were switched to a tag team together which was immediately canned and then Flair ended up in his legal dispute with Bischoff. They then moved Hart to a program with Hennig and Adams, seemingly the start of Hart going through the nWo until he got to Hogan... and then they turned him heel as Hogan's buddy (presumably to set up a Hogan feud later) because they were doing the Hogan/Nash feud (which never led to a singles match.) Goldberg then got the title from Hogan so a Hart/Hogan title match couldn't happen, so he kept floundering as a heel and by October they put him in a US title program. He got caught up in a company that had a ton of infighting and guys vying for spots and got out worked.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

MassRafTer posted:

Bret was brought in and originally planned to feud with Flair, Hogan and probably Sting at some point. A match with Flair happened at Souled Out 98 and did really well, but they had their legs cut out from under them and were switched to a tag team together which was immediately canned and then Flair ended up in his legal dispute with Bischoff. They then moved Hart to a program with Hennig and Adams, seemingly the start of Hart going through the nWo until he got to Hogan... and then they turned him heel as Hogan's buddy (presumably to set up a Hogan feud later) because they were doing the Hogan/Nash feud (which never led to a singles match.) Goldberg then got the title from Hogan so a Hart/Hogan title match couldn't happen, so he kept floundering as a heel and by October they put him in a US title program. He got caught up in a company that had a ton of infighting and guys vying for spots and got out worked.

So, WCW politics as usual. I see.

E: Surely Bret could've had some name recognition and pull to get himself into better programs? Or was he not the kind of backstage politician like most people were during his time?

Benne fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 13, 2015

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Hey now, Bret was a 2-time WCW World Champion, and never lost the belt!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Benne posted:

E: Surely Bret could've had some name recognition and pull to get himself into better programs? Or was he not the kind of backstage politician like most people were during his time?

I'm sure he'd have had ample pull if Nash and Hogan hadn't been so entrenched with THEIR pull.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Once again I must counter MRT's lies with the truth

quote:

When Bret got to WCW, he was not the Bret Hart that we had watched in WWE. I think the incident with Vince McMahon took a tremendous toll on him. Or perhaps Bret never really felt at home in WCW. Either way, he never quite regained his passion for the business

Part of it was that Bret felt he let his fans down. There’s a different culture in Canada. They view their national celebrities as national heroes. That’s not true in the United States. We don’t think of them as uniquely American celebrities. In Canada, they’re Canadian celebrities. And if they migrate into the United States and meet with success, they become national heroes because they’ve succeeded in America. Canadians are so proud of other Canadians that it’s almost obnoxious.

I’ve tried to figure it out over the years. One reason, I think, is that Canada isn’t really an independent country.

Sure, technically they are, in the sense that there’s a border and they have their own laws. But otherwise they’re totally dependent on the United States. Their economy is completely dependent on ours. Their army and their navy are nonexistent when it comes to being able to actually defend their country; they rely on the United States to do most of the job. If you look at the demographics of Canada, a large percentage of the population lives within a hundred miles or so of the border. Why do you think that’s the case? So they can get the hell out of Canada as often as they can!

When you add all of that up, there’s a certain sense of inferiority.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Benne posted:

Bad timing, injuries, Owens death, just about everything that could derail his run happened.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Benne posted:

As a face, Hart was behind Flair, DDP, Sting, and Goldberg. As a heel he was behind Hogan, Nash, or the rest of the nWo.

Hart was going to make a big return in 99, but Owen died the just as he was going to make the rounds on the late night shows.

He pushed his return off a few more months, and then he was forced to retire because of injury.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

triplexpac posted:

Haha yeah considering how hosed up his hip was from years of big elbows, maybe he should have not jumped off a cage.

But then again sometimes the Macho Madness takes control and you can't help yourself

I recall his mobility was more or less shot late in his WCW run, about the time he came back with a more roided-up physique and a new hairline.

That's from the Spider-Man movie, but you get the idea.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lanny Poffo claims that Randy doing repeated bumps onto his head during the filming of the Spiderman movie is what caused Randy to finally retire - he hosed up his neck and was in constant pain after that. Randy insisted on doing his own stuntwork.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Maybe Randy Savage shouldn't have been doing steroids or taking bumps in his late 40s.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

"I must counter MRT's lies. Actually Bret became really sad, the end."

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

God, I wish Meltzer had finished breaking that book down.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Is that a real quote from Bischoff's book?

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

Is that a real quote from Bischoff's book?

It's either from Bischoff's book or Walden by Henry David Thoreau. I was reading them both around the same time so I sometimes get the two confused.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

This is absolutely amazing. Is that book still in print?

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Benne posted:

The cage jump wasn't even in Savage's actual match, he ran in on the Hogan/Piper match (lol at that being the main event on the same show as Eddie/Rey) and just jumped straight into the ring.

That was the same main event that had the fan climbing into the cage and all the wrestlers beating him up in what may or may not have been legit, and then the show just going off the air with Piper still handcuffed to the cage. It was a classic WCW overbooked clusterfuck.

I'm 99% sure the fan who jumped in the ring took a few legit solid shots but I think at first everyone thought he was a wrestler and took it easy on him. I wonder if anyone at WCW security got fired for that poo poo.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 17, 2015

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

haljordan posted:

I'm 99% sure the fan who jumped in the ring took a few legit solid shots but I think at first everyone thought he was a wrestler and took it easy on him. I wonder if anyone at WCW security got fired for that poo poo.

Doug Dillinger was sorry.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
TONIGHT: ALL THE FALLOUT FROM SPRING STAMPEDE AND MORE!

At Spring Stampede Randy Savage won the title from Sting, will Sting get revenge? (He won't, it's Hogan vs Savage for the title tonight)

Raven won the US title from DDP, will DDP get revenge?

NOPE BECAUSE GOLDBERG VS RAVEN IS TONIGHT PEOPLE!

GOLDBERG GOES FOR THE GOLD!!!!!!

This match rules you should watch it.

There's way more stuff on this show, WCW is starting to lose its mind as the ratings war has drawn even so tune in for all the Macho Madness!

7:30 PM for NECW, 8 PM for Nitro and SSW after Nitro!

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/BadMoviesWorseWrestling

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Nitro is on!

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

haljordan posted:

My favorite part of that was Hogan stiffing him and Macho Man having to move the guy into the ring so security can get to him and hold things down.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

RZApublican posted:

My favorite part of that was Hogan stiffing him and Macho Man having to move the guy into the ring so security can get to him and hold things down.

Hogan throws worked punches, the guy was a plant.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!

Wrestling Observer Dec 29, 1997 posted:

The professional future of Alex Wright is very much in question after his brain aneurism as he's back in Germany. This would be a shame as he had potential to be one of the best.

Holy crap, this is the first I heard of Alex Wright having a brain aneurism. Can someone provide any more details on this? Did it happen while on tour? Did they mention it on air at all? How long was he out for?

On his wikipedia page, it skims right over it so its hard to get any grasp on what happened.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
there is nothing so fine as watching nitros/thunders from 1999-2001. what the gently caress were they thinking

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

NickRoweFillea posted:

what the gently caress were they thinking

wcw.txt

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NickRoweFillea posted:

there is nothing so fine as watching nitros/thunders from 1999-2001. what the gently caress were they thinking

Thunder is mostly good in 2001.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Hot WCW news!

James Vandenberg said as soon as he was hired by Eric Bischoff, Bischoff told him tag teams and managers were both passé and he wanted to get rid of them and the Wrath and Mortis thing was dead as gently caress anyway so don't think this deal will last.

They proceeded to use him for a year, take him off TV, and nobody remembered to cancel his contract until 1999.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

That is just so strange.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

oldpainless posted:

That is just so WCW.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Havoc904 posted:

Holy crap, this is the first I heard of Alex Wright having a brain aneurism. Can someone provide any more details on this? Did it happen while on tour? Did they mention it on air at all? How long was he out for?

On his wikipedia page, it skims right over it so its hard to get any grasp on what happened.

I was trying to find out more info on this the other day, but came up with a lot of hearsay and not much else. If you Google it, there are some references to it not actually being an aneurysm, but there's nothing concrete. Guess we'll find out in a few more back issues.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Yeah he was a DDP guy apparently which is probably why he got the sweet Turner money since DDP and Bischoff were buddies.

Vandenberg, not Wright.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Paying people for nothing because nobody remembered to cancel their contract. Yeah, that sounds like a WCW thing.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Say Nothing posted:

Paying people for nothing because nobody remembered to cancel their contract. Yeah, that sounds like a WCW thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpnM7mx0dwE

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

World Championship Wrestling: "They sent me a Fedex with nothing in it"

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Was WCW that bad at the end?

I remember Johnny Ace and co. being able to sculpt the ashes of that company fairly well for a few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Arbite posted:

Was WCW that bad at the end?

I remember Johnny Ace and co. being able to sculpt the ashes of that company fairly well for a few months.

Of course not. Jericho left in 1999.