Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Isn't that sort of how 40k Orks work? They sort of spread more by all the fungal junk the spread as they conquer?

Then again, they just like fighting and don't give a single gently caress about you or what you think about them, so it's obviously a bit different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Isn't that literally the 40K Orkz?
^efb :orks:

Mors Rattus posted:

Look, if you think it's okay to randomly slaughter people because they're Vikings, I don't know what to tell you.

People can do bad things without being automatically evil, unholy creatures that must be slaughtered for the good of all.

You can have enemies you fight, even kill, in games, without making them the Other.
Okay, now I think you're reading into stuff that ain't there. Or at least that I'm not seeing.

Besides, it's a hell of a lot creepier this way, haha; if you're not fighting "for the good of all" why are you fighting? "Do you enjoy hurting other people?"

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Well, presumably you are fighting for some very human reason, such as 'I am defending my home' or 'our nations are in conflict' or 'I need to get somewhere but you violently oppose my decision to go there' or something.

I mean, why do you think people fight in the real world? People in the real world are not horrible monsters that must be slaughtered for the good of all and we still do violence.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Davin Valkri posted:

So you turned them into self replicating gray too constructs? Interesting...

Had not considered the sci-fi angle!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Other reasons to fight: 'my tribe needs your tribe's cows to live', 'you and i are forced into conflict because you are a member of the ruling class that I am rebelling against', 'you slept with my sister,' 'i wish to be king and you are stopping me'.

None of these motives preclude the other side from being a person!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

There's even 'I need your cows because I want to have all the cows', if you need a villainous version.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

Rockopolis posted:

"Do you enjoy hurting other people?"

This is a good reason, within limits! Joy in battle is a very real motivator (in stories at least), and it doesn't preclude the character from fighting for the right thing and not committing atrocities. I mean, sure, at some point it implies a cavalier attitude towards human life and you can nitpick the realism for ages. But if it's a glorious fight to the death between willing participants there's nothing necessarily wrong with that as a concept. If there's an afterlife that makes things even easier.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

Bendigeidfran posted:

This is a good reason, within limits! Joy in battle is a very real motivator (in stories at least), and it doesn't preclude the character from fighting for the right thing and not committing atrocities. I mean, sure, at some point it implies a cavalier attitude towards human life and you can nitpick the realism for ages. But if it's a glorious fight to the death between willing participants there's nothing necessarily wrong with that as a concept. If there's an afterlife that makes things even easier.

Yeah the verifiable existence of an afterlife kind of takes some of the sting out of dying in battle.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
You know what, I'm gonna sleep on it. I'm sure this will make sense in the morning.

Cause right now it's like, killing people because it's fun is a loving awful reason to fight, or fighting back is for evil people, or I don't even know what the gently caress. This is such a confusing mess for me. :psyduck:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Other reasons you could be killing people: "I was told my sins will be forgiven and I can build a new life." "I was told these people are occupying our holy land and need to be driven out." "God is on our side." "We gave their Gods a better offer and there's no way we'll lose." (I love that that used to happen).

People kill each other for all kinds of reasons beyond I Am Evil or I Am Good.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
There are lots of reasons why you might want to fight someone. There are even reasons that completely preclude the ability to negotiate or solve your differences peaceably.

The important part is that there is a reason, and not just "they are evil because they were born that way". The enemy in your campaign could be literally Fantasy Hitler and that's still better than D&D's presentation of Orcs or Goblins or whatever as being evil and everything they do is evil because that's their alignment.

Not only is it better from a rhetorical and philosophical standpoint, it's also easier to adjudicate because you don't get into lovely arguments about the morality of killing an Orc baby.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's also a less boring. One of the best experiences I ever had in D&D back in high school was when I was playing a city guard captain who, when the BBEG showed up, had to go risk his life to parley with the goblin tribes he'd been fighting all game to make peace with them and work out what decent farmland his people could give up in return for their help because it turns out the Goblins were fighting primarily because they didn't want to live in a lovely swamp. Getting drunk at the after negotiation party and talking with a Goblin Captain and realizing the two of them had been through much the same poo poo as commanders was awesome.

Basically, having extra plots available like 'Make peace and fight the real evil' or 'Hard negotiations for prisoner exchanges' and stuff is a Good Thing, as is being able to realize that if you were in the other guy's position you might be doing the same thing.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
All games should have Feng Shui's "At the final blow, choose whether you've killed or just incapacitated a foe". I've started doing that for games I run, and at least a few of my players leave most bad guys alive. Games can be fun and violent without having the stakes always on life or death.

This goes both ways, and I often give players outs if their characters "die". Usually they'll elect to eat the death if it's dramatically appropriate.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I've been doing the same in 13th Age because I'm basically running a dark fantasy cop drama and so they want to bring people in to have trial scenes, but also want to have awesome fights where they sling around lightning and buckle swash.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I also like systems where at 0 HP, or the equivalent, a character is considered incapacitated, and a deliberate, additional action has to be taken to actually kill the character. It doesn't work for every genre or narrative, but it makes the decision to kill more of a choice, especially since you have to use resources from the action economy to accomplish it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Loki_XLII posted:

All games should have Feng Shui's "At the final blow, choose whether you've killed or just incapacitated a foe". I've started doing that for games I run, and at least a few of my players leave most bad guys alive. Games can be fun and violent without having the stakes always on life or death.

This goes both ways, and I often give players outs if their characters "die". Usually they'll elect to eat the death if it's dramatically appropriate.

Huh. That's a cool idea. I think I'll try that.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Rockopolis posted:

You know what, I'm gonna sleep on it. I'm sure this will make sense in the morning.

Cause right now it's like, killing people because it's fun is a loving awful reason to fight, or fighting back is for evil people, or I don't even know what the gently caress. This is such a confusing mess for me. :psyduck:

It's really not that hard. Any reason for fighting and/or killing someone is "better" (better as a noble justification, better as "I had no choice," better as a villainous motive, better as more interesting, better for whatever value of better you're looking for) than "I'm killing them because they all have Chaotic Evil stamped on their souls, even the babies but only after I've raised them to a life of Lawful Good so they can go to heaven, it's okay, I can do this because I have Lawful Good on my character sheet and there's nothing hosed up or stupid about this."

Re: choice of death or incapacitated at 0 HP, D&D 4E does this too, doesn't matter what brought them to 0 HP. Airburst a fireball over peoples' heads and knock them out with the pressure wave, go nuts.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

ProfessorCirno posted:

I more or less "solved" it by making orcs actually alien. Not aliens, but very distinctly Not Human, and pretty close to Not Alive at that. They aren't even born; they crawl out of the dirt in areas of sufficient desolation and destruction, and exist to spread it. They don't have a primitive culture because they don't have a culture; there is no orc art or music. They exist to destroy, and in turn are created by their own destruction. At best they have a vague hierarchy, but it's one without any titles. They were made to be a weapon.

See i don't like this because that makes them even more the "Other" and really just seems kinda creepy to me i mean it's the same way people use Zombies as thing it's okay to kill just because.
If i'm going to have a game where i kill orcs then the orcs are probably bandits that have been outcast from whatever kingdom/village/city just like any other bandit of any other race.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Elfgames posted:

See i don't like this because that makes them even more the "Other" and really just seems kinda creepy to me i mean it's the same way people use Zombies as thing it's okay to kill just because.

Well zombies aren't really sapient is the thing. I mean, if we're talking traditional interpretations and not some kind of Discworld-esque thing. Otherwise zombies are a pretty guiltless thing to kill because they're basically nothing but a soulless, mindless husk of meat staggering around like a puppet.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Right now all I'm seeing is orcs as Afghan Mujahideen engaged in guerilla over their tribal grounds against the Union of Dwarven Soviet Republics, maybe covertly sponsored by the United States of Humanity, with the PCs as Black Lagoon-esque mercs caught in the middle. This may not be because I find the idea of an orc hip-firing a KPV or PTRS surprisingly nice.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Davin Valkri posted:

Right now all I'm seeing is orcs as Afghan Mujahideen engaged in guerilla over their tribal grounds against the Union of Dwarven Soviet Republics, maybe covertly sponsored by the United States of Humanity, with the PCs as Black Lagoon-esque mercs caught in the middle. This may not be because I find the idea of an orc hip-firing a KPV or PTRS surprisingly nice.

Wehrmaboo

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

I...do not understand. Germany isn't anywhere in there.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Simian_Prime posted:

Ravenloft done well is basically Castlevania: the RPG. It's meant to be fantasy dressed in the tropes of Universal Monsters, Hammer Horror, and Edgar Allen Poe. It's not meant to be a game that really unnerves you, like Lamentations of the Flame Princess, and that's fine. For what it tries to emulate, I think it does really well.
Its also not how you are supposed to play Ravenloft which is the most confusing aspect of the entire setting. The horror is so incredibly shallow and painfully derivative that it really isn't scary but the mechanics are straight out of a Cthulhu horror game.

quote:

And what exactly makes FR so "inspired?" The thousands of years of history where nothing ever changes and it's all at the same RenFaire tech level? The obstensibly "medieval" setting where all the characters strangely have 20th century, neoliberal, progressive values ala "Dr. Quinn?"
When you are dealing with cliches that are only slightly younger than my grandparents anything else looks inspired in comparison. Though I might have to dig down a bit more in the case of Ravenloft just because Im pretty sure that setting is where Brain in the Jar came from and while still incredibly old its something that at least is pretty cool.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Feb 13, 2015

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Kai Tave posted:

Well zombies aren't really sapient is the thing. I mean, if we're talking traditional interpretations and not some kind of Discworld-esque thing. Otherwise zombies are a pretty guiltless thing to kill because they're basically nothing but a soulless, mindless husk of meat staggering around like a puppet.

Yeah that's true but i tend to associate the whole Zombies thing with racist rednecks.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rockopolis posted:

look, the thing is, people have killed and continue to kill each other for all kinds of reasons. this is not a good thing in real life. if it happens in a story, this does not mean the story is bad.

however, a story that includes the element of a sapient race/species that is always evil and the killing of whom is always acceptable is not a good story. this is because that kind of story sounds a lot like actual attempts at justification given in the past (and the present, because we haven't changed) for horrible things like genocide.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Elfgames posted:

Yeah that's true but i tend to associate the whole Zombies thing with racist rednecks.

Zombies are a pretty flexible metaphor. George Romero made a whole movie with zombies standing in for consumerist obsession, for example. It's certainly possible to use them as a veneer to drape over someone's unsavory "survival of the fittest" masturbatory power fantasy, which they often are, but it's also a lot more feasible to simply make use of them "as-is" without abutting the same unfortunate territory as Totally Sapient But Always Morally Justifiable to Murder orcs.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Zombies work best as a predictable obstacle you have to avoid, trick, and run from, anyway.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Elfgames posted:

If i'm going to have a game where i kill orcs then the orcs are probably bandits that have been outcast from whatever kingdom/village/city just like any other bandit of any other race.

Er, no, because the main thing about zombies is that they're still "people" to a certain extent. The terrible part of zombie fiction comes from all the creeps who just really want to gun down people in the city and barely go "OK BUT THEY'RE ZOMBIES" as their excuse. It's this poo poo.

The whole point of those orcs is that they actually are an Other. They pretty much have no relation or similarities to any real life culture or people outside of "bipedal."

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

WARNING: following post contains wanking about homemade setting. Procede with caution.

In my (still very much WIP) fantasy setting I've based the orcs on the name Orcus, one of the names of the god of the underworld in Roman mythology; they have made, in the very far past, a race-wide magical oath to make sure that the spirits of the dead that live in certain underground passages stay there. However, because of their strong association with death (and possibly the fact that they were made by a chthonian underworld god) they have difficulty fostering life; their crops die, their herds do not mate and a scarily high number of orc women die of childbirth.

Because of this, and the fact that they needed to keep the fortresses near the gates to the underworld staffed and fed, they have had an history of raiding and pillaging neighboring countries. However this was not sustainable and the orc nation crumbled. This last part happened some 300 years ago.

Nowadays most orcs work as artisans and mercenaries in their ex-targets countries and still send tribute to their fortresses. There are still plenty of people that don't trust them, or at the very least are uncomfortable in their presence, but they are for the most part model citizens, and boast some of the greatest tragedy writers of the modern era.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Feb 13, 2015

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
Going from the Orcus->orcs connection, I kind of like the idea of making orcs death spirits made flesh. It immediately eliminates questions of "Orc babies, wat do?" and also makes the orcs something other than "just like humans but green and evil" so players shouldn't question whether it's okay to fight them.

That said, in settings which develop the character of orcs in interesting ways (like Eberron) I'm okay with them being basically a kind of people with green skin, but when I want to have them just be the evil horde without arousing moral issues like "Well their culture is just evil" or "They are born evil" I like to go the route of 13th Age (where orcs are something of a disease that just pops up) or some of Tolkien's writings (where they're unborn, created creatures programmed to be evil by dark gods).

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i thought tolkien's orcs were the end-result of morgoth experimenting on elf captives

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I think my favorite orc spin I've seen (It may even have been here) was "Orcs -were- a world-destroying threat years ago....and then they found out that other races don't reincarnate shortly after death with all memories intact. So have spent the last several decades being really, really sorry because they thought they were just temporarily inconveniencing people with all the murder."

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, that's a good one right there. Cultural misunderstanding :buddy::hf::gibs:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

ProfessorCirno posted:

Er, no, because the main thing about zombies is that they're still "people" to a certain extent. The terrible part of zombie fiction comes from all the creeps who just really want to gun down people in the city and barely go "OK BUT THEY'RE ZOMBIES" as their excuse.
"Wow, Dad, you killed the zombie Flanders!"
"Flanders was a zombie?"

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i never understood why in a magical setting animating a dead body requires a different magic than animating some other body-shaped thing

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Obviously different animating spirits like different kinds of houses, you have to learn how to properly call the weird spirits that specifically like shacking up in some gross corpse rather than a rad metal body. If you make an iron golem look cool enough, it'd probably just hop right to life on its own.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Tollymain posted:

i never understood why in a magical setting animating a dead body requires a different magic than animating some other body-shaped thing

I'd imagine it's a question of complexity.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PublicOpinion posted:

If you make an iron golem look cool enough, it'd probably just hop right to life on its own.

i like this idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Tollymain posted:

i thought tolkien's orcs were the end-result of morgoth experimenting on elf captives

It depends on which source you take as canon. Tolkien himself went back and forth on it. Sometimes they were corrupted elves, sometimes corrupted humans, sometimes they were made in special pits.

• Locked thread