Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

~Coxy posted:

I don't understand why people update Facebook.app.

I don't understand why people have it on their phones in the first place. Facebook is a platform best used once a week for 5 minutes tops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Malloreon posted:

I don't understand why people have it on their phones in the first place. Facebook is a platform best used once a week for 5 minutes tops.
I'm sorry you don't have friends.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I'm sorry your friends don't like you enough to just text you instead of using a lovely website.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

I'm sorry you don't have friends.

Your friends on facebook aren't talking to you. they're talking to everyone they're friends with. Your actual friends call/text/email/see you in person.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Yeah man us few weird people using Facebook gosh what aberrant behavior.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
I don't understand why people just don't use Paper as a replacement.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

teraflame posted:

Font is tiny on iPhone6

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
iOS Apps: Telling everyone else how they do

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

teraflame posted:

Personally , it feels so awkward to scroll left-right on the bottom 2/5ths on the 6 (can't imagine it being better with the 6+) and I don't care for their additional feeds they're trying to push. They've started to port a lot of UI niceties from Paper (swipe to dismiss currently viewed photo/status is the big one I noticed). It's a nice alternative if you want the feeds but I'm glad they haven't forced it down our throats at the only way to experience Facebook (knock on wood).

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

teraflame posted:

It's still US-only, isn't it?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Malloreon posted:

Your friends on facebook aren't talking to you. they're talking to everyone they're friends with. Your actual friends call/text/email/see you in person.

But most of my talking to people on Facebook is using Facebook messenger, because it can easily be used cross platform and every single person I know has it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

~Coxy posted:

It's still US-only, isn't it?

Yeah I don't have it in Ireland anyway. The Facebook app does suck balls but like people are saying , most contact I do is by text or whatever. I find myself using Facebook infrequently ever since I got an iPhone.

ickna
May 19, 2004

Just use the website in safari. It still has messages and doesn't gobble up space on your phone caching stupid poo poo, and it doesn't tell zuck as much about which bathroom you're pooping in.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Outlook now supports IMAP, after I went through the trouble of transferring my one IMAP-only account to Zoho :v:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Malloreon posted:

It's the easiest way to communicate with a group of people where some have Android phones, some only have regular cellphones and some have iPhones. Facebook has the lowest entry barrier: just an internet connection. You don't have that with WhatsApp (needs a smartphone) and iMessage (needs an iOS device). We tried using email but some of the younger people had already left email behind while the older people were wary of smartphones.

I deleted the main app long ago but I think Messenger is a good compromise.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Facebook is good for when you want to tell everyone about some life event but can't be bothered having the same conversation a ton of times.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
Which YouTube app was the goon-approved one again?

I have Tubex, but it's ad-supported and I can't see an IAP to remove them.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Zwille posted:

It's the easiest way to communicate with a group of people where some have Android phones, some only have regular cellphones and some have iPhones. Facebook has the lowest entry barrier: just an internet connection. You don't have that with WhatsApp (needs a smartphone) and iMessage (needs an iOS device). We tried using email but some of the younger people had already left email behind while the older people were wary of smartphones.

I deleted the main app long ago but I think Messenger is a good compromise.

SMS is a thing.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
No group messaging, also costs money for some people.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I've tried Paper a few times but just really dislike it. A scrolling list just seems like a much better way to present your news feed.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I can't get Outlook to work with either of my IMAP work accounts. All the settings are the same in mail.app. Weird.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I always laugh at young people, usually in first year university, who've "left email behind" and get totally hosed because the rest of the world expects you to check your email for things like payment due dates and poo poo.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
"Left email behind" is a euphemism for "doesn't have a job and has no actual responsibilities" -- it's also stupid as poo poo.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Which YouTube app was the goon-approved one again?

I have Tubex, but it's ad-supported and I can't see an IAP to remove them.

I like ProTube and I think others here like it too.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

An Enormous Boner posted:

I like ProTube and I think others here like it too.

That was the one — thanks!

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

maduin posted:

"Left email behind" is a euphemism for "doesn't have a job and has no actual responsibilities" -- it's also stupid as poo poo.

I pity the idiot that checks his email outside work hours.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

ZShakespeare posted:

I pity the idiot that checks his email outside work hours.

And thus you will be forever a poor.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

benisntfunny posted:

And thus you will be forever a poor.

Not using e-mail for personal things=being poor.

You're a moron.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

TheJoker138 posted:

Not using e-mail for personal things=being poor.

You're a moron.

I thought it was because you don't know the difference between the pronouns "that" and "who".

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Unnecessary post removed.

beefnoodle fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 15, 2015

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
iOS Apps Thread: goons belittling each other over their jobs and the importance of work email

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

POCKET CHOMP posted:

iOS Apps Thread: goons belittling each other over their jobs and the importance of work email

Don't forget facebook messages

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
It appears the issue I was experiencing is with the Outlook app. Their support is actually pretty quick to respond but so far has not been able to find the issue. I'd really like to use the app to get my work email separate from my personal email in mail.app, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen :(

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Rubiks Pubes posted:

It appears the issue I was experiencing is with the Outlook app. Their support is actually pretty quick to respond but so far has not been able to find the issue. I'd really like to use the app to get my work email separate from my personal email in mail.app, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen :(

I'm in the same boat. Their IMAP support doesn't seem to exist; I've got a half-dozen test accounts across a variety of sites (throwaways and spamtraps mostly) and it doesn't work for any of them.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

smackfu posted:

I've tried Paper a few times but just really dislike it. A scrolling list just seems like a much better way to present your news feed.

Isn't Paper locked to "top stories" view, too?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

DigitalRaven posted:

I'm in the same boat. Their IMAP support doesn't seem to exist; I've got a half-dozen test accounts across a variety of sites (throwaways and spamtraps mostly) and it doesn't work for any of them.

Have you tried it in the last day or so? They just had an update for IMAP this last Friday.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Boxer is and always has been a superior mail client. Boxer is a true mail client with no middle man bullshit.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

flosofl posted:

Have you tried it in the last day or so? They just had an update for IMAP this last Friday.

I tried it again right before I posted to see if anything changed.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've been using Outlook and I like it a lot, surprisingly. The filtering seems to work pretty well and is trainable, and it's a lot nicer than the Gmail client (though I'm keeping that around for its search function with notifications off).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Is there a good scanner app that can handle large files?