Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Form over function, ergo coolness right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

Form over function, ergo coolness right?

No Rhyno, stupid. He's cool because he has a leather jacket. Duh!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I believe Old Superman just got tired of hearing Young Hip Superboy explain how his powers work again.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

I've seen so many versions of evil violent Superman at this point that I had to remind myself that Superman probably really isn't going to snap Superboy's neck.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
That's Old Superman, not Evil Superman. He's chilling in Injustice.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Injustice Superman, Ultraman, Superboy Prime, Red Son Superman, Viltrumites in Invincible, bad Hyperions, Plutonian from Irredeemable, other ones I can't list off the top of my head. There are a lot of evil versions of Superman.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He'll die. Don't worry.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Superstring posted:

Injustice Superman, Ultraman, Superboy Prime, Red Son Superman, Viltrumites in Invincible, bad Hyperions, Plutonian from Irredeemable, other ones I can't list off the top of my head. There are a lot of evil versions of Superman.

Sentry, sometimes, though he's less 'evil' and more 'crazy.'

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

KaosMachina posted:

I want Hip Young Teen 90's Superboy and his adventures with Supergrandpa so bad.

Make it a road trip comic and you got a deal.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Madkal posted:

Make it a road trip comic and you got a deal.

What if they just went for a long walk across America

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dacap posted:

A long pointless walk that they quit midway through?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Dacap posted:

Well talking down to people seems to be something Grandpa Superman would do.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dacap posted:

I still say if this hadn't turned into Superman being a right wing dickhole it isn't a horrible premise for a comic. I'd read a story about Superman just walking around helping folks out. Pulling cats out of trees, helping poor folks get jobs, whatever, ain't gotta be superpowered crises.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Literally The Worst posted:

I still say if this hadn't turned into Superman being a right wing dickhole it isn't a horrible premise for a comic. I'd read a story about Superman just walking around helping folks out. Pulling cats out of trees, helping poor folks get jobs, whatever, ain't gotta be superpowered crises.

So would I. The idea of Superman just taking a break and walking helping people sounds like something he would do. However, it should not be a 12 part storyline, as it makes him look like sort of a dick if he ignores everything else and just walking around.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

bobkatt013 posted:

So would I. The idea of Superman just taking a break and walking helping people sounds like something he would do. However, it should not be a 12 part storyline, as it makes him look like sort of a dick if he ignores everything else and just walking around.

Man has superspeed, if some poo poo pops off he can fly away and fix it and be back before Little Jenny even realizes her kitty is up in the tree.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Man has superspeed, if some poo poo pops off he can fly away and fix it and be back before Little Jenny even realizes her kitty is up in the tree.

Yeah, but Grounded if I remember correctly he was ignoring everything other than his stupid walk. I meant that it could be a couple of issues of him doing the mundane stuff and then him a couple of him doing the big. However, that ignores an important part of his character as it would involve him being just Superman and not Superman and Clark.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Yeah, but Grounded if I remember correctly he was ignoring everything other than his stupid walk. I meant that it could be a couple of issues of him doing the mundane stuff and then him a couple of him doing the big. However, that ignores an important part of his character as it would involve him being just Superman and not Superman and Clark.

No, he wasn't.

Grounded was dumb, but not that dumb. He said if something major happened, he'd fly off, deal with it, then go back to the exact spot he'd been on the walk, and pick up where he left off.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I didn't read it myself but didn't the story retcon the reason Supes was acting like a condescending douchebag into him being alien mind controlled or some such bullshit.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Madkal posted:

I didn't read it myself but didn't the story retcon the reason Supes was acting like a condescending douchebag into him being alien mind controlled or some such bullshit.

And he ended up defeating it with the literal power of hope.

Superman as gently caress.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Madkal posted:

That was after JMS left.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Now I really want a comic that's the 70's Incredible Hulk show, but with Superman. drat.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

ZDar Fan posted:

Now I really want a comic that's the 70's Incredible Hulk show, but with Superman. drat.

A show like that with early Golden Age power level Superman wearing Morrison's T-shirt/jeans/workboots/cape journeyman hero look would be so great.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

McSpanky posted:

A show like that with early Golden Age power level Superman wearing Morrison's T-shirt/jeans/workboots/cape journeyman hero look would be so great.

Oh what Smallville could have been.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rhyno posted:

Oh what Smallville could have been.
What, Clark's boneriffic heat vision wasn't good enough for you?

What a world we lived in, where TV executives thought people wouldn't buy a Superman TV show where he has powers... Sigh.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Superstring posted:

It's hard to talk about Red Son, because Millar's political statement isn't particularly coherent. But I've always read it to say that Superman wasn't evil, any more than communism is evil. In Red Son, the source of evil is the pointless conflict between societies. The world is prosperous and happy when Superman runs all of it, and it's prosperous and happy later in the book when Lex runs all of it - it's the destructive conflict between the men and their ideologies that leads them to do horrible things. Lex's Bizarro justifies Superman's brainwashing of dissidents justifies Lex shrinking Stalingrad. US missiles in Turkey justify Soviet missiles in Cuba justify US development of ICBMs.

In that light, Superman is still the hero of the story, because he realizes that the conflict needs to stop, and he concedes. He's the bigger man - he can back down for the greater good, whereas Lex would rather be dead than red.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

E the Shaggy posted:

Oh yeah, I'm ready for this:

Everything about this is great. The expressions, the thick outlines, the dense colours...who did it?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Babs Tarr, she's currently doing Batgirl.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Ponsonby Britt posted:

It's hard to talk about Red Son, because Millar's political statement isn't particularly coherent. But I've always read it to say that Superman wasn't evil, any more than communism is evil. In Red Son, the source of evil is the pointless conflict between societies. The world is prosperous and happy when Superman runs all of it, and it's prosperous and happy later in the book when Lex runs all of it - it's the destructive conflict between the men and their ideologies that leads them to do horrible things. Lex's Bizarro justifies Superman's brainwashing of dissidents justifies Lex shrinking Stalingrad. US missiles in Turkey justify Soviet missiles in Cuba justify US development of ICBMs.

In that light, Superman is still the hero of the story, because he realizes that the conflict needs to stop, and he concedes. He's the bigger man - he can back down for the greater good, whereas Lex would rather be dead than red.

It's a shame Millar didn't apply as much effort to writing the women in Red Son as he did to writing the politics.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Details on some of the June comics

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/02/14/a-few-june-mini-relaunch-details-from-dcs-retailer-roadshow-in-orlando/

quote:

Told to retailers at the Orlando DC Retailer Roadshow yesterday…

The new Robin: Son Of Batman title from Patrick Gleason is described as a Johnny Quest-style book, though with very different adventures. Part Johnny Quest and part How To Train Your Dragon, one retailer described it as like Stanley And His Monster.

We Are Robin shows how Batman has so many Robins. It’s how Batman has affected the youth of Gotham, the very existence of Robin is now being crowd sourced. Rather Brat Pack…

Section 8, the insane superhero team from Hitman who are getting their own title, will hit up Superman, Batman and all the iconic DC characters to be their eighth member. Who will say yes? Hint, probably not Kyle Rayner.

Prez is socially conscious and should play well in an election year. It was said to have a Steve Gerber Howard the Duck feel.

Gene Luan Yuen, the writer of American Born Chineseis said to bring his unique immigrant history experience to Superman as a Kryptonian born American.

Bryan Hitch‘s long-in-the-works full first issue of Justice League Of America was shown. It doesn’t invalidate continuity but isn’t beholden to it

And both the new Batman Beyond and Earth 2: Society comics and the Darkseid War crossover will spin directly out of their appearances in Convergence.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Teenage Fansub posted:

The new Robin: Son Of Batman title from Patrick Gleason is described as a Johnny Quest-style book, though with very different adventures. Part Johnny Quest and part How To Train Your Dragon, one retailer described it as like Stanley And His Monster.

I am so loving on board with this

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.

Travis343 posted:

Yeah I was kind of iffy about this one, I love Gleason a whole bunch but artists who end up writing at DC more than often end up being awful. This however sounds like a total loving delight.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Robin is crowd sourced" sounds kind of unnerving considering the mortality rate of Robins

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

ImpAtom posted:

"Robin is crowd sourced" sounds kind of unnerving considering the mortality rate of Robins

Sounds like a messed up kickstarter. 500$ lets you name the next Robin. 800$ lets you name it and Batman will make sure he lasts at least six months.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Sounds like a messed up kickstarter. 500$ lets you name the next Robin. 800$ lets you name it and Batman will make sure he lasts at least six months.

$1000 and you can customise the race, $1500 and you can pick race, gender identity and sexual orientation.

And at the $10k level you can actually BE Robin and be kidnapped by a maniac in a clown outfit wielding the blunt instrument of your choice.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
Give $1 and Joker will personally call your house to give you a death threat of gratitude.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
$15 for one of the Riddler's riddles Batman has lying around
$100 and you can go to a Robin's funeral (you pay your own travel expenses)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

goldenoreos posted:

Give $1 and Joker will personally call your house to give you a death threat of gratitude.

Remember the ARG for the Dark Knight that had a pre-recording of cops calling to intimidate you if you did it right? And no one knew that was going to happen? What a great idea that couldn't possibly be misconstrued.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
drat, "We are Robin" sound pretty good. I'll pick it up for sure

I'll also check Son of Batman, hopefully Damian will be powerless there.

And here are all the Convergence's May solicits

Interestingly, the N52 will get involved on the main series after all.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Remember the ARG for the Dark Knight that had a pre-recording of cops calling to intimidate you if you did it right? And no one knew that was going to happen? What a great idea that couldn't possibly be misconstrued.

Wait what? I never heard about this. Holy poo poo that is nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Travis343 posted:

Shades of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr7IEpw91UA ?

• Locked thread