Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

forbidden lesbian posted:

Well, to be honest, it's probably just indicative of a bunch of stuff that has nothing to do with Magic itself and more to do with cultural stuff but it's late and I don't think going all D&D in this thread is the best thing for me to be doing.

Nobody who has ever been to a typical LGS should really find that puzzling so you shouldn't even need to explain.

A couple guys kept yelling "show me them titties" at each other through an entire match for reasons I don't know or care to know the other night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

mr. mephistopheles posted:

A couple guys kept yelling "show me them titties" at each other through an entire match for reasons I don't know or care to know the other night.
Well, how fat were they?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

Well, how fat were they?

Quite.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Mystery solved. Good job, gang!

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

cheetah7071 posted:

With numbers like that, I wouldn't be surprised if the kitchen table is almost equal, and the difference is almost entirely in tournament players.

What percent of magic players are tournament players, though? Like 1%? (it's still really cool that it's so close to even a 60/40 split, would never have guessed that).

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

MiddleEastBeast posted:

What percent of magic players are tournament players, though? Like 1%? (it's still really cool that it's so close to even a 60/40 split, would never have guessed that).

They won't give us hard numbers on that, but I assume like 10-20% go to prereleases/the occasional FNM. That's entirely pulled out of my own rear end though.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

Mystery solved. Good job, gang!

I'm pretty sure they were referencing a card, though.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I'm pretty sure they were referencing a card, though.

Well that opens up a range of possibilities.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Let's just say it was Tidal Bore and move on.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

cheetah7071 posted:

They won't give us hard numbers on that, but I assume like 10-20% go to prereleases/the occasional FNM. That's entirely pulled out of my own rear end though.

At the university Magic club, only about 5% of the people who've played there have a DCI number.

In unrelated news, I just sent my first cards out on Pucatrade and it happened to be a person I know IRL. Those Tolaria Wests were just sitting in a box of basic lands for seven years, so go Pucatrade.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Anyone still playing mono red sligh? Was going to run either r/w whatever or u/w heroic but can't get a couple of key pieces in time for game day. Looking around it seems rabblemaster is no longer run but I still like him in my not very updated list. Any opinions would be appreciated!

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Pontius Pilate posted:

Anyone still playing mono red sligh? Was going to run either r/w whatever or u/w heroic but can't get a couple of key pieces in time for game day. Looking around it seems rabblemaster is no longer run but I still like him in my not very updated list. Any opinions would be appreciated!

It really isn't good. RW aggro is where it is at. You'll be mauled by most green decks that will be able to block till they slam the door on you. It is pretty good against control though, but this format isn't seeing as much control as previous standards.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
http://magic.wizards.com/en/MTGO/articles/archive/magic-online/new-daily-event-schedule-and-meet-your-new-event-manager-2015-02-11

More pauper = good, no momir = bad.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

jassi007 posted:

It really isn't good. RW aggro is where it is at. You'll be mauled by most green decks that will be able to block till they slam the door on you. It is pretty good against control though, but this format isn't seeing as much control as previous standards.

That I'm aware of hence why I was trying to get into a better positioned aggressive deck. But since that won't be feasible for game day I was hoping for some input into the ideal sligh list even if the deck isn't ideal.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Were Momir Dailies considered +EV just from being good enough at combat math / risk reward calculations that a good player could somewhat reliably expect to overcome the inherent randomness and 3-1 or better (ie: is that why you're bummed)? Don't question you if you just plain enjoy having reliable scheduled Momir events, just curious if they're considered something you could grind for value - I seem to remember reading either articles or posts here talking about that being something good players could pull off but maybe I imagined that.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

jassi007 posted:

What's a standard RW list look like? I'm still pulling in .500 or better with Boss Sligh, and I went up to a playset of Stokes of some ways to make guys unblockable to get around Abzan decks.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

C-Euro posted:

What's a standard RW list look like? I'm still pulling in .500 or better with Boss Sligh, and I went up to a playset of Stokes of some ways to make guys unblockable to get around Abzan decks.

Josh Silvestri highlighted his pick for a RW list in his Standard run-down a couple days ago:

http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/week-in-review-rw-temur-abzan-control-taking-hold-of-standard/

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Were Momir Dailies considered +EV just from being good enough at combat math / risk reward calculations that a good player could somewhat reliably expect to overcome the inherent randomness and 3-1 or better (ie: is that why you're bummed)? Don't question you if you just plain enjoy having reliable scheduled Momir events, just curious if they're considered something you could grind for value - I seem to remember reading either articles or posts here talking about that being something good players could pull off but maybe I imagined that.

I only ever tried a couple of these but they always seemed way more coin-flppy than skill rewarding. Most games of momir are decided by who just happens to get better creatures. There's definitely some play to it, but it seems to be more variance-based than any other format, limited or constructed.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

MiddleEastBeast posted:

If you have a good understanding of creature combat in Limited Momir Dailies were generally positive EV, yeah.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'm pretty sure that dailies are +EV (in the long run) even with only a 50% win rate.

With a 50% win rate, for every 16 dailies you play (costing 96 tix), you'll 4-0 once, and 3-1 four times, for a total of 35 pax paid out. It's +EV when you can sell packs for 2.75 tix or better, which is often the case. Better win rates make them +EV at even lower prices.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I played in the very first ever Momir Basic tournament on Magic Online. It wasn't an official format yet, but Wizards was like "gently caress it make a tournament". I lost the round before the finals to a Sundering Titan.

This has been my Magic Online v2 story.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
And this the summery of the magic panel fro pax east.

quote:

Magic: The Gathering Panel

Sarkhan Vol has reforged Tarkir’s destiny and now each clan fights under the leadership of a mighty dragon lord. Visit the Magic: The Gathering panel to see what future awaits Sarkhan upon his return and learn more about Dragons of Tarkir, the third set of the Tarkir block. Get the inside track on the Prerelease and talk to some of the key R&D and Program leaders from Wizards of the Coast.

Presented By: Liz Lamb-Ferro, Global Brand Manager and key members of Magic R&D.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Pontius Pilate posted:

That I'm aware of hence why I was trying to get into a better positioned aggressive deck. But since that won't be feasible for game day I was hoping for some input into the ideal sligh list even if the deck isn't ideal.

I haven't played much Sligh during this particular Standard, so rather than giving you iffy advice I'll instead just post what the man himself, Tom Ross, recommends via a Premium SCG article from last week.

Creatures (20)
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Foundry Street Denizen
4 Goblin Rabblemaster
4 Mardu Scout
4 Monastery Swiftspear

Lands (22)
22 Mountain

Spells (18)
2 Outpost Siege
2 Lightning Strike
3 Searing Blood
4 Stoke the Flames
3 Wild Slash
4 Hordeling Outburst

Sideboard
1 Outpost Siege
4 Eidolon of the Great Revel
1 Searing Blood
1 Wild Slash
1 Purphoros, God of the Forge
2 Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker
2 Peak Eruption
2 Scouring Sands
1 Temple of Malice

Edit: Anecdotally, two decks in the Top 8 of the PPTQ I attended last weekend were Mono-R Aggro, so I think it's fair to say the deck still has some gas.

qbert fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Feb 13, 2015

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Bugsy posted:

And this the summery of the magic panel fro pax east.
So, we traded a bunch of warring clans headed by super-cool people to a bunch of warring clans headed by stupid lizards.

I guess I really just missed the boat on modern fantasy's obsession with dragons.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Veyrall posted:

So, we traded a bunch of warring clans headed by super-cool people to a bunch of warring clans headed by stupid lizards.

I guess I really just missed the boat on modern fantasy's obsession with dragons.

I don't mind the whole "dragons leading the clans" thing, but moving from wedges to half of the Ravnica guilds with a different name is a shame. Unless they somehow keep wedges in the set in some way. Not necessarily three-color spells like with KTK but at least in the clan's identity I guess.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

There's been absolutely no indications of such a thing afaik, but I'd like to see enemy colored/shard-colored rebels. Could easily make the set too busy, though.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Mercury Crusader posted:

I don't mind the whole "dragons leading the clans" thing, but moving from wedges to half of the Ravnica guilds with a different name is a shame. Unless they somehow keep wedges in the set in some way. Not necessarily three-color spells like with KTK but at least in the clan's identity I guess.

Everything about this is actually the opposite of a shame. Its really well done exploration of the relationships between colours and is super flavourful from a story perspective. Also, having multiple factions across different planes that share colours but are different from each other, ideally both flavour-fully and mechanically, is a good thing because it avoids reducing colour pairs to just the Guilds or whatever.

Also I actually think we'll see the enemy pairs in DTK still, based on the common and uncommon cycles from FRF, the Khans/Mythics with their hybrid abilities, and the Dagahtar story. What we won't see is full wedges. The bulk of the clans will have joined with the Broods while some remnants of the old clan will remain associated with some of their old values; for example the remaining Abzan will continue practising necromancy and be White/Black; the primary colour of the Abzan and the enemy colour from the wedge.They'll start to reject Green because its Dromoka's adherence to 'the natural order' which is what lead to tearing their people apart and the rest of the Abzan turning on the ancestors. So they'll stop valuing that but still value white's community aspect.

So we'll maybe see Red/White Mardu raiders, Blue/Red Djinn and Efreets, White/Black Abzan ancestor cultists, Black/Green Naga, and Green/Blue Shamanistic Temur. Or something like that.

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Feb 13, 2015

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Sounds like the Temur get the short end of that stick, because I'm fairly certain Atarka's orders begin and end with "If you're not a dragon, get eaten by me now"

Same with Silumgar, really. Probably Kolaghan too.

Edit: Fine, ya heathens.

Veyrall fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Feb 13, 2015

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Veyrall posted:

Sounds like the Temur get the short end of that stick, because I'm fairly certain Atarka's orders begin and end with "If you're not a dragon, get eaten by me now"

Same with Silumgar, really. Probably Kolaghan too.

It'd be pretty easy for Atarka to say "Respect my rule or die" and Kolaghan to say "Ignore your community and give in to bloodthirst" but I don't know enough about the Sultai.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Veyrall posted:

I'm fairly certain Atarka's orders begin and end with "If you're not a dragon, get eaten by me now"

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Feb 13, 2015

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

:smaug:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Maybe the Temur convinced her that other dragons were far more delicious and they joined together to eat all of the things.

Rimusutera posted:

So we'll maybe see Red/White Mardu raiders, Blue/Red Djinn and Efreets, White/Black Abzan ancestor cultists, Black/Green Naga, and Green/Blue Shamanistic Temur. Or something like that.
Seems reasonable. And really neat, I hope we go that way instead of something dopey. My bet is (and was, I wrote down what I thought was going to happen back at the start of january) that they're going to have some rewards for having off-colors cards, which will allow it to still be "not a wedge set" in the same way Theros for example was not a "gold set".

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Pontius Pilate posted:

Anyone who says Mono-Red Sligh isn't good is either a gat-dang fool, liar, or Jassi. :v: This is the list I've been using at FNM for the past several weeks have been regularly posting some 4-1 and 5-0 records. Obviously your biggest challenge will come against decks running black with access to Bile Blight, Drown in Sorrow, and End Hostilities, but the deck still packs enough burn to end the game if you aren't finding the redzone with your creatures.

If nothing else, it's a deck that will post results the more you play it that requires no expensive taplands or fetches (arguably the sole truly expensive cards are the Rabblemasters, Shaman of the Great Hunt, and Eidolon of the Great Revel, and I'd say only the Eidolons are necessary since they punish the aforementioned black decks for casting cheap removal; the Rabblemaster and Shaman can be replaced with another copy of Hordeling Outburst and Break Through the Line, respectively), and the rest of the deck is either dirt-cheap commons/uncommons, Stoke the Flame, and some Firedrinker Satyrs you can find in the dollar binder.

It's also a lot more strategic than you'd expect an Aggro deck to be because you have to chose the best line of play for the situation (maximize damage - and can you be sure you're doing it the best way?, knowing when to be conservative in the face of removal, how to order your spells, etc.).

bhsman fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Feb 13, 2015

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

It seems the Kiora vs Elspeth decklists have been leaked-

Elspeth:

Elspeth, Sun's Champion
2 Icatian Javelineers
1 Mother of Runes
2 Kinsbaile Skirmisher
1 Kor Skyfisher
1 Precinct Captain
2 Veteran Armorsmith
1 Court Street Denizen
1 Standing Troops
2 Veteran Swordsmith
1 Banisher Priest
2 Gustcloak Harrier
1 Gustcloak Skirmisher
1 Gustcloak Sentinel
1 Gustcloak Savior
2 Loxodon Partisan
1 Gempalm Avenger
1 Noble Templar
1 Captain of the Watch

1 Mortal's Ardor
2 Sunlance
1 Mighty Leap
2 Raise the Alarm
1 Soul Parry
1 Celestial Flare
1 Dauntless Onslaught
1 Dictate of Heliod
1 Decree of Justice

2 Secluded Steppe
22 Plains

Kiora

Kiora, the Crashing Wave
1 Omenspeaker
2 Coiling Oracle
1 Kiora's Follower
2 Grazing Gladehart
2 Netcaster Spider
2 Man-O'-War
2 Lorescale Coatl
1 Nessian Asp
2 Surrakar Banisher
1 Sealock Monster
1 Scourge of Fleets
1 Simic Sky Swallower
1 Inkwell Leviathan
1 Nimbus Swimmer

2 Explore
4 Accumulated Knowledge
1 Peel from Reality
2 Time to Feed
1 Explosive Vegetation
1 Aetherize
1 Whelming Wave
1 Plasm Capture
1 Urban Evolution

2 Evolving Wilds
1 Temple of the False God
11 Forest
11 Island

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Temple of the False God in a Kiora-themed deck is Vorthos as hell. :allears:

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Samael posted:

2 Explore

Well done Wizards, Well done. :allears:

Also, I think Goblin Heelcutter is a great addition to Mono-Red and criminally underrated. One of the biggest draws to RW is playing Chained to the Rocks and Valorous Stance since they deal with Rhino and Co'. You could probably have a decent RW list with all Red creatures, sans maybe Seeker because Seeker is just good and a two drop. Hellcutter does the same, it doesn't matter if Rhino or Tasigur is swinging at you for 4 each turn; you're going to kill them the next turn anyway since they can't block with him.

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Feb 13, 2015

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

So nothing really on the level of Remand. Mother of Runes is pretty nice though.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Man, those are some pretty low value reprints, there. The money cards are basically mother of runes, inkwell leviathan, lorescale coatl, simic sky swallower, decree of justice, explosive vegetation, and the planeswalkers.

At least with Jace V Vraska, we got a remand reprint.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I think the commander decks taught them that its a bad idea to have valuable reprints in casual products. It makes it harder for the target audience to get a hold of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I think the commander decks taught them that its a bad idea to have valuable reprints in casual products. It makes it harder for the target audience to get a hold of them.

poo poo, I'm just asking for 10 buck cards, not noble loving hierarchs.

Edit:

They're going to have to start reprinting stuff a lot more in casual product anyway, after this summer, or start printing vintage and legacy masters in paper, since they're ending core sets.

Anil Dikshit fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Feb 13, 2015

• Locked thread