Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

Do you really want a maximize button that can't do anything since the window isn't responding?

It'd be nice if the close button worked. I guess that's too much to expect.

Taking the one area that's guaranteed to be an inert handle that can be safely clicked on to move the window around and turning it into a minefield of random buttons is a pretty terrible user experience, btw.

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
The close button doesn't work in X11 if an application is stuck. It just sends a WM_DELETE_WINDOW message to the window, and then also send a ping request to the window (_NET_WM_PING) and if the app doesn't respond to the ping, we show a dialog after five seconds allowing the user to kill the window.

Under Wayland, if you click anywhere on the window, we send a ping request to the window (xdg_shell.ping), and if the app doesn't respond to the ping, we show a dialog after five seconds allowing the user to kill the window.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i rly like gnome 3 and think its a LOT better of a window manmager than windows and osx and linux ppl are jus super freakin crtical and find fault w/ eerything oh well i guess YOSPOS bitch or something

pram
Jun 10, 2001
its actually bad

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

pram posted:

its actually bad

haha nice try troll. go back to your bridge

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Smythe posted:

i rly like gnome 3 and think its a LOT better of a window manmager than windows and osx and linux ppl are jus super freakin crtical and find fault w/ eerything oh well i guess YOSPOS bitch or something

same

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
KDE with a less terrible theme is ok.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
at least in linux if i kill something it dies, windows often ignores my kill process command

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

Trading for wildly improved windowed application performance? Hell yeah I'll make that tradeoff any day.

lol gtk is going to be a horrible bloated slow shitmonster regardless of backend its running on

also gnome is literal poo poo

reminder that gnome devs literally removed minimize and maximize buttons from windows because "they dont make sense" lmao

cthulhoo fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Feb 13, 2015

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I was actually talking about video games and things using OpenGL, because otherwise there's a giant copy that happens literally every frame in a windowed application because X is from the 90s.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

ahh yes games on a linux desktop, a thing that exists

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Suspicious Dish posted:

Under Wayland, if you click anywhere on the window, we send a ping request to the window (xdg_shell.ping), and if the app doesn't respond to the ping, we show a dialog after five seconds allowing the user to kill the window.

the client doesn't just hand the window server a region that should be treated as draggable?

and what does "kill the window" even mean, do you really mean "kill the app that owns the window?" does this happen for any event not responded to? and why a dialog, why not just show a busy cursor when the pointer is over such a window?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
2700 unread, anything cool?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

the client is directly rendering to a rectangle on the backbuffer, iirc.

somehow this prevents the WM from rendering the window controls to four rectangles surrounding that rectangle

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
so no

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

best part is how all gtk3 apps are broken in various hilarious ways on other wms because of this client decoration poo poo

i remember opening some poo poo app in wmaker and welp

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

pseudorandom name posted:

the client is directly rendering to a rectangle on the backbuffer, iirc.

somehow this prevents the WM from rendering the window controls to four rectangles surrounding that rectangle

It's a lot easier for the client to draw it, and that means that we won't have seams or discontinuities when resizing windows like you do in X11 right now, and when you switch focus, both the application and the borders redraw at the same time.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

eschaton posted:

the client doesn't just hand the window server a region that should be treated as draggable?

and what does "kill the window" even mean, do you really mean "kill the app that owns the window?" does this happen for any event not responded to? and why a dialog, why not just show a busy cursor when the pointer is over such a window?

Right now "kill the window" means "kill the PID associated with the application". It happens only if the client doesn't respond to a ping request -- Wayland is a stream-based protocol like protobufs, not a RPC protocol, so method replies don't exist in the system.

We show a dialog because that's what other systems do, including Windows, OS X and Unity. We don't currently ping a window so we can't show a busy cursor on entry, but it's entirely possible for us to implement that feature, we just haven't.

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

cthulhoo posted:

gnome devs literally removed the minimize and maximize buttons

is this a real thing that exists?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Captain Pike posted:

yes.

you can turn them back on using Tweak UI, but they'll probably accidentally break it entirely or remove the feature for their glorious tablet vision sooner or later.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Captain Pike posted:

u can do it by right click the top. ezpz

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
imvho gnome is used w/out minimizing windows.u can pile them like crazy and use the expose knockoff to choose the right one, or, if u want it on a pristine desktop, just toss it on anotehr desktoip. ez

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
You can right-click the top of the window or use Super+H.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 20, 2015

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

gnome tweak tool existing deserves a special mention wrt laffs tbf

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

cthulhoo posted:

reminder that gnome devs literally removed minimize and maximize buttons from windows because "they dont make sense" lmao

I'm surprised that I actually never noticed this. I guess I'm used to working with windows by pressing win+arrows all the time

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

idgaf about buttons personally but u know lmao at the hubris of these people

Sassafras posted:

GNOME 3.x: We don't need no stinking usage metrics, that would imply we care about real users rather than our vision

designing for users existing irl is so passe

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
after reading all this i'm actually unironically so glad i use fvwm.

it's almost like you have to hand-edit a window manager config file with a syntax from the 1990s in order to have a working desktop environment that won't randomly change every time you dare upgrade.

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
that or "screw it and use wmaker, it just works" but i like my flexibility too much i guess.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

i like wmaker it looks good and is less bad and dumb than alternatives :3:

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
i miss fluxbox :(:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

There Will Be Penalty posted:

after reading all this i'm actually unironically so glad i use fvwm.

it's almost like you have to hand-edit a window manager config file with a syntax from the 1990s in order to have a working desktop environment that won't randomly change every time you dare upgrade.

hey there fvwm buddy :hf:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Suspicious Dish posted:

We show a dialog because that's what other systems do, including Windows, OS X and Unity.

OS X shows a busy cursor (the infamous "beachball") when an application doesn't respond to window server events in a timely fashion.

it doesn't interrupt the user with an alert panel.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I thought there was a "Mail.app is not responding"-type dialog. Anyway, what happens after the user sees the beachball? They quit the application somehow and it shows the "Mail.app quit unexpectedly" dialog?

I'd be fine changing it, we just chose a different design than OS X. It's not technically impossible to do.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
give applications two seconds to respond to WM messages then terminate them with extreme prejudice wtf is this poo poo

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Mr Dog posted:

give applications two seconds to respond to WM messages then terminate them with extreme prejudice wtf is this poo poo

truly, iOS is the best operating system

of course, iOS doesn't have to deal with demand paging

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
i dislike gnome for multiple reasons (kde 5 lookin reallly good by the way) but lack of a minimize button is not one of them

it has probably been years since i minimized a window, if i dont need it i dont need to have the program open, if i don't need it now and its getting in my way i move it to another desktop

desktops which are arranged in a rectangular grid by the way, as god intended :patriot:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i do like, and use, the minimize feature

removing minimization fucks with my ~*~ workflow ~*~, so i will obviously not be counted among gnome 3 users

which means there will be no one demanding the feature

which means the feature is useless

you see how the process works?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Minimization is a crappy manual way of switching between working sets, virtual desktops accomplish this a lot better.

Trouble is that GNOME 3's simplification of virtual desktops throws the baby out with the bathwater. Moving between them by hammering Ctrl+Alt+(Up|Down) five or six times is really clumsy.

Maybe if there was a fixed 3x3 grid of workspaces instead? I doubt I'd need more than nine working sets (right up until the moment when you actually do of course), and you're always at most two steps away from any of the others. Designing this sort of thing is unironically hard though.

Perhaps a strip of 10 desktops along the bottom of the overview where you could hit Super+# to switch between them rapidly.

Basically the idea is good but not the implementation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

Soricidus posted:

hey there fvwm buddy :hf:

:phoneb::phoneline::phone: