Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
A medevac chopper landed on Highway 402 after a white out pileup today, then another snow squall rolls in and kept it from taking off. Articles don't say how long it was stuck there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
I was reading about aircraft boneyards (and maybe playing that one level from MW2). Ended up finding this frankly kinda eerie video of the Mojave boneyard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBlQg1k8XOo

Billions worth of planes just... out there.

e: bloggage about it http://www.airlinepilotchatter.com/2010/06/airliner-graveyard.html

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Feb 13, 2015

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Tremblay posted:

I can't think of a time I haven't heard them referred to as Rhinos (from Navy folks).

Same. I should mention I've worked with NSAWC grads, spent several days working with WTI cadre at Yuma, and sat next to navy folks at the CAOC for a few months. The only place I've ever seen/heard Rhino used somewhat commonly is actually right here.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

MrChips posted:

This is pretty badass (give it a bit though):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-C9Abz4msk

I see you and I were the only people to watch past the first 70 seconds, because this is pretty badass once it gets going.

also more videos need to be in this thread that meet the following criteria: HD and involving flares. This, that Wolfe Air reel, I need more.

Psion fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Feb 13, 2015

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Gibfender posted:

she got chunky

~healthy at any size~

slidebite posted:

Any particular reason for the amraam on the tip and not the sidewinder or is there any difference?
e: 2 posts up

As I recall it's because it makes the airplane fly better due to the changed center of gravity, and something to do with there being less overall wind resistance if you have AMRAAMs on the wingtips and Sidewinders underwing.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
You all are sick and the fat F-16 looks like a door stop.

Sorry to break out the honesty, but come on.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
She is a strong independent plane who don't need no man

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Idealized warrior:

Lamentably cumbersome reality:

Idealized fighter:

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes
It just looks like it's shrugging

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ola posted:

I'm imagining this plane speaking in a Gilbert Gottfried voice.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
Did they remove the cannon?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
It's right there in C.M. Kruger's pic, and the hump's still there in the full-frontal shot :confused:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
I kinda feel sorry for it's wee little landing gear now. :ohdear:

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

C.M. Kruger posted:

As I recall it's because it makes the airplane fly better due to the changed center of gravity, and something to do with there being less overall wind resistance if you have AMRAAMs on the wingtips and Sidewinders underwing.
AMRAAM's heavier weight works as a better anti-flutter device on the wingtips.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

DeusExMachinima posted:

I was reading about aircraft boneyards (and maybe playing that one level from MW2). Ended up finding this frankly kinda eerie video of the Mojave boneyard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBlQg1k8XOo

Billions worth of planes just... out there.

e: bloggage about it http://www.airlinepilotchatter.com/2010/06/airliner-graveyard.html

I wonder if that airliner graveyard is open to the public, or at least for tours. I could spend days just wandering around it looking at planes.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Its about functional strength jerk :mad:. You'd have sick traps from carrying around bombs all day too.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I am about to join the airplanes industry looking at avionics vibration so i figured I should post here.

Ask me about circuit boards vibrating (and nothing else because I know nothing else about planes)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
To be fair, all of Israel's warplanes have CFTs because that's the price one pays for 1) being fond of semi-routinely executing long range strike missions where you can't risk refueling, and 2) not having to buy and maintain (or build in-house) heavy bombers, because no one in their right mind would ever sell Israel strategic bombers - except China, and I think one could say that the F-35I is a much better plane for strategic strike missions than a Chinese H-6 with a glass cockpit.

Speaking of Chinese bombers, though - check this poo poo out:

http://airlinebuzz.com/forums/entry.php?27-Drachenfl%FCgel-Part-One-The-Xian-Bombers-%28Flieger-Revue-Extra%29

A Tu-16, already a notorious gas-guzzler, with 4-6 engines and made significantly larger is pretty loving hilarious.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 13, 2015

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Splode posted:

In Australia I hear them referred to as "superbugs" all the time. It's probably the most common name I hear for them now that I think about it.

Okay, that makes sense, I'm going to imagine it's just some weird Australian terminology now.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Luneshot posted:

I wonder if that airliner graveyard is open to the public, or at least for tours. I could spend days just wandering around it looking at planes.

Mojave used to have a bus tour, but I don't believe they do anymore. You can poke around the public roads outside though and probably find some interesting stuff, in fact I did just a couple weeks ago.

Said to be the last operational L-1011 TriStar, though it hasn't flown in a while.

Ex-NASA Convair 990 gate guard.

Recent arrivals. Note the two BAC One-Elevens.

Wing Derringer, and I think that's a de Havilland Chipmunk behind it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

StandardVC10 posted:

Said to be the last operational L-1011 TriStar, though it hasn't flown in a while.

Also the launch platform for their Pegasus rockets:

(this is a really big image)

I'm surprised no one's ever theorized a technothriller where someone gets the bright idea to steal a plane like this and replace the SSTO payload with a nuclear warhead.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 13, 2015

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Luneshot posted:

Two of the world's biggest aircraft graveyards are closest to each other in Arizona. One is military IIRC but can't remember the name and I think they do tours.

Alright, who let the F35 team in here? I seriously want to know what those shoulder humps are for.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Fuel

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

DeusExMachinima posted:

Two of the world's biggest aircraft graveyards are closest to each other in Arizona. One is military IIRC but can't remember the name and I think they do tours.

The AMARG at Davis-Monthan AFB. The Pima Air and Space Museum offers bus-tours, and it is worth whatever pittance they charge. The museum and tour is also worth the hour and a half drive down from Phoenix.

http://www.dm.af.mil/units/amarc.asp

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

DeusExMachinima posted:

Alright, who let the F35 team in here? I seriously want to know what those shoulder humps are for.

Notice how it also has a spine that houses some gizmos and poo poo.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

StandardVC10 posted:

Recent arrivals. Note the two BAC One-Elevens.

Did NG finally get rid of their One-Elevens?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

iyaayas01 posted:

Did NG finally get rid of their One-Elevens?

I guess they must have, because I can't think of too many other places those could have come from.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

DeusExMachinima posted:

Fashion!

Edit: Uh, not sure why I felt compelled to do this but, um her hair is so canopy-like?

:stare:

Blitter fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 13, 2015

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
UAE nails it also.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Vahakyla posted:

UAE nails it also.

Still looks alright with the CFTs as long as it doesn't have all that fat poo poo under the wings. F-16s are supposed to carry a couple of skinny missiles and that's it :bahgawd:

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

StandardVC10 posted:

Wing Derringer

That is a astonishingly sexy little aircraft. Looks like it would be absolute blast to fly.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Blitter posted:

Fashion!

Edit: Uh, not sure why I felt compelled to do this but, um her hair is so canopy-like?

:stare:

They're the F16's 80's shoulder pads! Guess old is new.

Sagebrush posted:

Still looks alright with the CFTs as long as it doesn't have all that fat poo poo under the wings. F-16s are supposed to carry a couple of skinny missiles and that's it :bahgawd:

Bingo. Have they done any force of force dogfighting between F16 aggressor squadrons and F35s yet? You know, with actual maneuvering involved? Because I hope they leak video of it when that happens. :munch:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
The fact that you can add poo poo to the F-15 without making it look top heavy or ungainly is all the proof that I need that it is the superior airframe.

:smug:

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Vahakyla posted:

UAE nails it also.

And here is what is colloquially known as the 'selfie angle'.

Also hot drat, I'd never seen a chipmunk with a bubble canopy. That's far more sexy than a big & proud viper.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
AIRBUS HUNGRY

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

DeusExMachinima posted:

Bingo. Have they done any force of force dogfighting between F16 aggressor squadrons and F35s yet? You know, with actual maneuvering involved? Because I hope they leak video of it when that happens. :munch:

But very few to no F-16s have ever flown into a real combat situation carrying nothing but a pair of sidewinders. It's not really a fair comparison to put a super clean F-16 up against a internally-combat loaded F-35 in WVR combat. Put a air combat loaded F-35 up against a full air combat loaded F-16 and you get a better comparison. Not to mention the F-35 has nearly double the internal fuel capacity of an F-16 w/o the CFTs.

It's still poo poo, we all know, but it helps to actually frame things correctly here before you poo poo all over them.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 13, 2015

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
it's not like the F-35 carries a lot internally so I don't think you're really getting the outcome you want when you limit this to an "internally-combat loaded" F-35 because, uh, the equivalent for an F-16 would be exactly this:

Sagebrush posted:

e: oh I caught you pre-edit, it makes more sense now

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Also the launch platform for their Pegasus rockets:

(this is a really big image)

I'm surprised no one's ever theorized a technothriller where someone gets the bright idea to steal a plane like this and replace the SSTO payload with a nuclear warhead.

Probably gonna get its last new livery too, Orbital is now Orbital ATK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Psion posted:

it's not like the F-35 carries a lot internally so I don't think you're really getting the outcome you want when you limit this to an "internally-combat loaded" F-35 because, uh, the equivalent for an F-16 would be exactly this:

e: oh I caught you pre-edit, it makes more sense now

Yeah I have a bad habit of hitting post and then finishing my thought in edits.