Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Water bath and slow-poach are the most neutral ways I know of.

I'm still not sure how the shorthand for "a tepid puddle of water" became the pretentious one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Huge_Midget posted:

If you aren't making a pan sauce with the bag juice from 48+ hour short ribs I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems, but my sauce ain't one.

Seriously though, after my 72 hour short ribs are done, I strain all the bag juice through some synthetic cheese cloth into a fat separator. Let the cheesecloth catch all the coagulation and the fat rises to the top and then you can decant the good poo poo from the bottom of the fat separator. Pour the decanted meat juice into a saucier, add some black peppercorns, a bay leaf, a pinch of kosher salt, a clove or two of smashed garlic, some fresh thyme, and a few tablespoons of butter. Bring it to a gentle simmer and whisk it to bring it all together. My wife calls it the money sauce.

I did this tonight, amazing.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
e: if someone has to explain to you why "puddling" sounds stupid you probably have other annoying affectations

it's not even all that obscure of a technique anymore considering they do today show segments with it and how enormously successful every sub-$200 cooker that's been released in the past year is. I know people whose definition of cooking is finishing a box of hamburger helper who got anovas for christmas. everyone I know says either sous-viding or water bath, even if they don't know what sous vide literally means or that it's even a french term. 'puddling' is as dumb as unironically calling your SO "waifu"

anyway I've been doing sous vide burgers finished with the searzall with lunch for a couple days and it rules, especially since I get a good flame taste and crust and I can't have a grill in my apartment complex. the searzall has also proven to be amazing at making a grilled cheese at a moment's notice, it can be done in under a minute. highly recommend for anyone who does a lot of sous vide especially if you don't have a broiler and/or can't have a grill (which was my dilemma)

wheez the roux fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 13, 2015

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sous vide, it's two syllables just like "hell yeah", "high five" or "broski". Just say it. Soo vid. "Let's head over to my place and soo vid some steaks". "Hell yeah broski" etc.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

wheez the roux posted:

e: if someone has to explain to you why "puddling" sounds stupid you probably have other annoying affectations

it's not even all that obscure of a technique anymore considering they do today show segments with it and how enormously successful every sub-$200 cooker that's been released in the past year is. I know people whose definition of cooking is finishing a box of hamburger helper who got anovas for christmas. everyone I know says either sous-viding or water bath, even if they don't know what sous vide literally means or that it's even a french term. 'puddling' is as dumb as unironically calling your SO "waifu"

anyway I've been doing sous vide burgers finished with the searzall with lunch for a couple days and it rules, especially since I get a good flame taste and crust and I can't have a grill in my apartment complex. the searzall has also proven to be amazing at making a grilled cheese at a moment's notice, it can be done in under a minute. highly recommend for anyone who does a lot of sous vide especially if you don't have a broiler and/or can't have a grill (which was my dilemma)

Are there other cooking terms you get irrationally angry about or is it just alternative sous vide terms?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

wheez the roux posted:

There's less of a reason to go with the word "puddling" now, except for historical reasons, and a sad tepid puddle of water I keep in my kitchen and put meat in is funny, to me. I don't think anyone would invent the term again given how common and approachable sous vide is, and I only use it on the forums. I like having special forum terms.

IRL, I avoid using the term sous-vide because I'm sick of explaining what it means in English - the answer is so uninteresting that most people forget the answer and end up asking me again the next time it comes up. It's not even really accurate given the way eggs are done and given that zip-locks are so commonly used.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

kensei posted:

I did this tonight, amazing.

Glad you liked it. It's probably the hardest part of making sous vide short ribs, and it makes you seem like some kind of culinary wunderkid. Also, if you want to play around with variations on the sauce, try some nice dry sherry or cognac in the sauce too. You could also add some heavy cream if you felt so inclined.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

wheez the roux posted:

Oh, yeah, it's totally affected. Whenever anyone asks how I made something, I just switch to french and say j'ai fait cette whatever en sous vide. It's the easiest way not to sound pretentious.

Just kidding, that sucks, and 'puddle' is a fine verb for it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
You guys get to complain about other people's use of language when you start using capital letters regularly :colbert:

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

a foolish pianist posted:

Oh, yeah, it's totally affected. Whenever anyone asks how I made something, I just switch to french and say j'ai fait cette whatever en sous vide. It's the easiest way not to sound pretentious.

Just kidding, that sucks, and 'puddle' is a fine verb for it.

you're right english definitely has no loan words. especially not from french

also sous vide carrots own but it takes an annoying amount of plastic since i have a lovely sealer that comes open at the higher temps you need for veggies unless i double bag them, but i don't know if a better sealer would really solve that problem

wheez the roux fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 14, 2015

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Oh awesome, 35 new posts in the sous vide thread! I bet they're talking about some sweet new techni-...oh.

Speaking of cool new techniques, I was reading a Munchies article the other day about how using sous vide for cocktail infusion is like, the new big thing in Bangkok. Has anyone ever tried that with good results? There's a fairly well known Thai restaurant around the corner from me that makes a kefir lime infused gin and tonic which is the best G&T I've ever had by a long shot...so now I'm wondering if that may be what they're up to.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Can you post some of those links here? I'm curious to try

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

Mikey Purp posted:

Oh awesome, 35 new posts in the sous vide thread! I bet they're talking about some sweet new techni-...oh.

Speaking of cool new techniques, I was reading a Munchies article the other day about how using sous vide for cocktail infusion is like, the new big thing in Bangkok. Has anyone ever tried that with good results? There's a fairly well known Thai restaurant around the corner from me that makes a kefir lime infused gin and tonic which is the best G&T I've ever had by a long shot...so now I'm wondering if that may be what they're up to.

personally i've found putting the liquor you want to infuse + whatever you want to infuse it with into a whipped cream charger and running a nitrous cartridge through it infinitely faster, easier, and better at transferring flavor. cilantro vodka for bloody marys and microplaned lime zest into gin were particularly great success stories. i'm sure it'd work great with keffir leaves too

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
I vizzled some blueberries in vodka once. I drank the blueberry vodka and ate the blueberries and got drunk. It was fun and I recommend it.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

SubG posted:

Most shellfish come out quite well butter poached, which is what you get if you throw a shitload of butter in the bag before you throw it in the puddle machine.

This is from a long time ago, but The French Laundry initially started sous-vide using a circulator-heated bath of butter to perfectly poach lobster for some of their menus. I can't even imagine what a cambro full of butter costs.

The initial thing that s-v was used for with respect to cooking was to heat/cook foie without the usual loss you get when you poach a torchon.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Huge_Midget posted:

If you aren't making a pan sauce with the bag juice from 48+ hour short ribs I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems, but my sauce ain't one.

Seriously though, after my 72 hour short ribs are done, I strain all the bag juice through some synthetic cheese cloth into a fat separator. Let the cheesecloth catch all the coagulation and the fat rises to the top and then you can decant the good poo poo from the bottom of the fat separator. Pour the decanted meat juice into a saucier, add some black peppercorns, a bay leaf, a pinch of kosher salt, a clove or two of smashed garlic, some fresh thyme, and a few tablespoons of butter. Bring it to a gentle simmer and whisk it to bring it all together. My wife calls it the money sauce.

I honestly super dislike bag juice sauces and almost always either make a separate sauce in a bag or just make a random sauce while things are sous-vide-ing.

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
I'm gonna buy an Anova, i've heard problems about the new one. Which one should I buy?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I honestly super dislike bag juice sauces and almost always either make a separate sauce in a bag or just make a random sauce while things are sous-vide-ing.
Totally with you. I've tried probably a dozen times and it's total poo poo every time. I'd feel embarrassed serving it.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Huge_Midget posted:

Glad you liked it. It's probably the hardest part of making sous vide short ribs, and it makes you seem like some kind of culinary wunderkid. Also, if you want to play around with variations on the sauce, try some nice dry sherry or cognac in the sauce too. You could also add some heavy cream if you felt so inclined.

I used to make a very similar sauce when I did table side flambe as a Wine Captain, and I totally agree that the cream ones are great. Here's some bad pictures:

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
My friend is getting into sous vide which is cool for me as I like food. I would like to buy him a blowtorch but I'm unsure what kind to get (what fuel is good etc). Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Phiberoptik posted:

I'm gonna buy an Anova, i've heard problems about the new one. Which one should I buy?

Get a Nomiku.

redweird posted:

My friend is getting into sous vide which is cool for me as I like food. I would like to buy him a blowtorch but I'm unsure what kind to get (what fuel is good etc). Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks.

How much do you like your friend? If the answer is "about twenty to fifty bucks", get any old propane torch, ideally one with a clicky igniter (walk into Home depot and start poking around). If the answer is "over a hundred bucks", click this, scroll down to the "frequently bought together", and buy all three of those.

Ideally, if you get a searzall, you should get a smaller, wider, camping propane cylinder. The narrow, tall one listed above won't hurt anything if your friend can figure out how to put the hot searzall down without burning the house down.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Feb 14, 2015

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
How long should I do rib eye steak for? Douglas Baldwin's book suggests 6-8 hours for it which seems a bit long since most online guides only call for 1-2 hours depending on thickness

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I do like 1.5-2 hours at 54C.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Jose posted:

How long should I do rib eye steak for? Douglas Baldwin's book suggests 6-8 hours for it which seems a bit long since most online guides only call for 1-2 hours depending on thickness

It depends on the thickness and temperature, but at 134 F or higher. A 1" steak will take about an hour, 1.5" steak will take 1:45 to 2 hours, and a 2" steak will take around 3 hours, but in all of those cases you can let it cook longer if you want it more tender. It doesn't seem to be very necessary with cuts like rib-eyes or strip steaks, but people more experienced with sous vide may disagree.

http://www.sousvidesupreme.com/en-us/sousvide_cookingtemperatures.htm

I picked up a grass fed chuck eye steak this week. It was about an 1" thick and I cooked it for around 1:15 and it turned out very well and was tender and good. It's a nice cheap cut of meat and is definitely something I'll mix in from time to time.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Any recommendations for skirt steak? Can that do short cook times too or should I give it longer?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

redweird posted:

Thanks.

Bear in mind that blowtorching stuff like steak is way more annoying and time consuming than searing it in a pan, and it won't turn out as well (in my opinion).

It's nice to use for other stuff though.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
I ride my ribeye in the danger zone for a few (2-3) hours then cook for 3 and I find it magical.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Gonna try that next time for steaks

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

deimos posted:

I ride my ribeye in the danger zone for a few (2-3) hours then cook for 3 and I find it magical.

Yeah, I like my steak in the danger zone too I'm just hesitant to recommend it to other people. I'm comfortable with the risk, but

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
The store by me sells prebrined corned beefs. For some reason they had a tiny one pounder there today so I picked it up.

Any recommendations for time and temp? Since it's so small I figure I can do way less than 24-48 hours but I'm not sure.

The Pell
Feb 6, 2008
Im thinking about making bacon wrapped filet mignon. I would like to vizzle the beef, but I have no clue how to handle the bacon. I thought about pre-cooking the bacon, then attaching it after the beef cooks, but then its just going to fall right off. Any ideas?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Your best bet is probably to think about a "deconstructed" version. Sous vide and sear the meat, serve with properly cooked bacon?

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Supporters of whatever they're calling the club this week.
Get transglutaminase, adhear bacon to the steak while both are still raw, put it in the water bath, sear the entire thing afterwords.
It's a bit sketch as the USDA "done" temps for pork are higher than steak, but I'm a badass anyways.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Woof! Woof! posted:

Get transglutaminase, adhear bacon to the steak while both are still raw, put it in the water bath, sear the entire thing afterwords.
It's a bit sketch as the USDA "done" temps for pork are higher than steak, but I'm a badass anyways.

eh, what the gently caress ever, the usda is absurdly wrong about pork, more so than other meats, and the bacon will hit a higher temp anyway during the sear.

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Supporters of whatever they're calling the club this week.

Immersion circulated the proteins in this stew.
Butter poarched lobster, cod bagged with some lemon, scallops were then wrapped with proscuitto and hit with the searzall.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Woof! Woof! posted:

Immersion circulated the proteins in this stew.
Butter poarched lobster, cod bagged with some lemon, scallops were then wrapped with proscuitto and hit with the searzall.

That looks wonderful. Is that like a Belgian waterzooi?

For Valentine's Day dinner I sous-vided everything. First the chefsteps 104-degree salmon with horseradish cream, watercress puree, and pickled onions:

Then the Serious Eats glazed carrots and some dry-aged ribeyes with shallots:

And then chefsteps again, creme brulee for desert:

Holy poo poo, that salmon. I mean, everything turned out great but that salmon is something special.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I have a sea bass fillet and a whole (small, butterflied) trout. I was planning to treat them like salmon, unless people have better ideas?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So I recently tried making some brisket. I followed this recipe: http://blog.sousvidesupreme.com/2014/09/48-hour-brisket/

However, even after 48 hours of sous vide, and a quick sear I was very disappointed with my brisket. It was decently flavorful, though nothing crazy, but mostly it just wasn't as tender as I was expecting. My favorite brisket is normally incredibly tender, almost melts in your mouth. But my brisket after sous vide was hardly tender at all.

Is there any secret to super tender brisket? I am kind of a noob when it comes to this kinda stuff, so maybe I am missing something obvious?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Based on a few tries I found I prefer brisket 24 hours @ 166 degrees. 133 just doesn't produce the texture one expects from a brisket IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Choadmaster posted:

Based on a few tries I found I prefer brisket 24 hours @ 166 degrees. 133 just doesn't produce the texture one expects from a brisket IMO.

Maybe this is my problem too. Would a higher heat yield a more tender result as well?