Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Crackbone posted:

The tiles have both the German and English names on them.

Good Deal. Ordered both Keyflower and the Farmer Expansion for 82 bucks. Given that Amazon USA via Game Salute wants 63 dollars just for Famer's alone w/ shipping I think this was probably a pretty good deal.

Thanks so much Crackbone. You probably just saved me a ton of money.

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Dulkor posted:

Got to try out my copy of Argent tonight.

Is this game ever gonna be availalbe in stores? [UK stores especially.] or is it only through their website/CSI or so on?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Anniversary posted:

You'll be relieved to know it looks to be a Civ-like and not a boardgame at all!

So no clue why it was posted about here.

e: Though it does look neat, it just doesn't seem boardgame esque at all to me.

It's not Civ like at all since you can't attack anyone and there's no military. Why don't you actually watch the videos? OK then M.U.L.E. ish which is nearly the same thing.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
just swapped my copy of arkham horror for Dominion: Intrigue

suckeeeer

j8910
Apr 2, 2002
Broken Loose,

Your kickstarter lists the delivery date for Final Attack as July 2015. Is that correct? How are you getting the board printed out in five months?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
They will merge like Voltron and deliver the final printing

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

j8910 posted:

Broken Loose,

Your kickstarter lists the delivery date for Final Attack as July 2015. Is that correct? How are you getting the board printed out in five months?

I'm going to wager a guess that it has to do with printing domestically rather than overseas.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Scyther posted:

I'm going to wager a guess that it has to do with printing domestically rather than overseas.

Bingo.

edit: Also the actual board portion isn't huge and there's not much in the way of tooling.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
crosspost:
I was just finishing up the reviewer version of the Final Attack! Print & Play package, when it hit me how much you guys have absolutely spoiled me and blown me away.

Enjoy! I hope this pushes some indecisives over the edge. Otherwise, I hope it hypes up a lot of those already backing.

You will need: Poker chips and cardstock.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Hey, BL. I might be messing around with getting the PnP together into a LackeyCCG set or Tabletop Simulator thing. If I do, should I hold off on letting it 'into the wild' until the game launches, or should I loose it for the extra publicity?

Edit And if I do loose it 'into the wild', is their anything you want blanked or excluded?

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 13, 2015

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
That's technically the "wild-safe" version because I replaced the audio with legally obtained music instead of the original anime music (which is the saddest thing I've done to the game). Just tell people to like the Facebook and Twitter pages if you leak it, that way the public version comes out faster.

edit: lmfao the game would basically be impossible to play on TTS

edit 2: it's the low-ink version so it wouldn't be super pretty on TTS anyway

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

edit: lmfao the game would basically be impossible to play on TTS
I am going to take this as a challenge! (At least until my printer decides it wants to work again).

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Poison Mushroom posted:

I am going to take this as a challenge! (At least until my printer decides it wants to work again).

I know for a fact that at least 3 Robeasts will be physically impossible to emulate in Tabletop Simulator, none of which are in the P&P (unfortunately).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

I know for a fact that at least 3 Robeasts will be physically impossible to emulate in Tabletop Simulator, none of which are in the P&P (unfortunately).
Open up a Skype video call in another window with everyone you're playing with, point at the portraits as appropriate.

(Yes, I am being willfully obtuse, how did you guess?)

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Poison Mushroom posted:

Open up a Skype video call in another window with everyone you're playing with, point at the portraits as appropriate.

(Yes, I am being willfully obtuse, how did you guess?)

guess it's spoiler time

Saggita I2: "The Joust"
Alpha: Box top placed in the play area. It must be clearly visible to all pilots.
Beta: A pilot must hold the box top at all times. It may be passed.
Omega: Only the pilot holding the box top is allowed to speak.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Broken Loose posted:

guess it's spoiler time

Alpha: Box top placed in the play area. It must be clearly visible to all pilots.

God, this game sounds awesome.

Elemennop
Dec 29, 2004

only the martyrs have their identities remembered. please remember me, i beg you!
I have couple general issues with Archipelago that I am wondering if other people have had. The first is that it seems that exploration has a high enough percentage of success that there's no reason not to be aggressive exploring it early. It seems most our games progress the same way, we explore turn 1 - actions 1 and/or 2. Then, on action 3 or on the next turn, the labor market is large enough that we can each buy 2-3 laborers. Then, following reproduction, each us frequently have 7-9 citizens. That will increase the citizen tracker high enough that there's a significant buffer, also with the additional resource cubes on the market it will make crises easier to quell or just ignore. Also, with that high of a citizen population, there's very little reason not to just tax instead of pursuing alternative incomes through the markets. Migration taking a full action disk makes it frequently a worse option than just exploring. For one, a successful exploration will give you a resource cube and exploration token. Secondly, if you try to move into an occupied hex, the opposing player will have an action in response to just erect a city and take control of the hex. Also, fighting it out early with someone, will just give the others an early lead. In addition to all that, with high early populations a lot of the evolution cards are also frequently useless.

The second general issue I have is that in conjunction to the above, if you build a couple churches and get some of the appropriate progress cards, then the colony is pretty much never on the verge of rebellion. If anything, it seems we play too cooperatively. There also isn't much incentive as a separatist to keep your own workers rebelling if you're not going to immediately win, since you're both outing and paralyzing yourself for an entire turn. It's not difficult for the others to immediately build a couple churches, get some citizens, and mine a stockpile. So far, outside of the first game we played, the separatist has only won once, and that was because of victory points.

The third general issue I have is that the entire game seems to revolve around stones. With only 12 stones in the bank and it being absolutely essential to all infrastructure, pretty much every game we quickly mine all the stones. Usually, one player will hold a significant stockpile of them behind their screens. Then, the negotiations become around the player with stones getting the person with the next action to immediately mine all the stones. This means that one or two players (the ones who have access to several stone mines on their first few hexes) can quickly take complete control of the entire stone economy, and thus all pretty much all infrastructure (and many VPs as a result).

As a result of the above, it seems like all our games unfold exactly the same. I mean, it's still an engaging game since there's still a careful race and negotiation for VPs conditions, but I wish we were constantly exploiting all the mechanics of the game and had more variety in strategies. I should note that we only play the long game, and that it's completely possible we misread one of the rules when we started.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

guess it's spoiler time

Okay, fine. Some of them will be impossible, or you'll have to get really creative with how to implement them. Point taken.

Still TTSing it anyways.

ChiTownEddie posted:

God, this game sounds awesome.
Hear, hear.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Poison Mushroom posted:

Okay, fine. Some of them will be impossible, or you'll have to get really creative with how to implement them. Point taken.

Still TTSing it anyways.

Alpha: A pony figure placed in the play area. It must be clearly visible to all pilots.
Beta: A pilot must hold the pony at all times. It may be passed.
Omega: Only the pilot holding the pony is allowed to speak.

:unsmigghh:

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Broken Loose posted:

guess it's spoiler time

I didn't really need those $55 anyway, right?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Gimnbo posted:

Alpha: A pony figure placed in the play area. It must be clearly visible to all pilots.
Beta: A pilot must hold the pony at all times. It may be passed.
Omega: Only the pilot holding the pony is allowed to speak.

:unsmigghh:

The original version had a "distraction rod" component that I was gonna use for a bunch of things but never got around to it. I replaced it with the box top once I got tired of proxying it with an Ugg-Tect club.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

Is this game ever gonna be availalbe in stores? [UK stores especially.] or is it only through their website/CSI or so on?

I legitimately have no idea what their retail distribution model is. Sorry!

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Broken Loose posted:

crosspost:
I was just finishing up the reviewer version of the Final Attack! Print & Play package, when it hit me how much you guys have absolutely spoiled me and blown me away.

Enjoy! I hope this pushes some indecisives over the edge. Otherwise, I hope it hypes up a lot of those already backing.

You will need: Poker chips and cardstock.

thou art backed

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

BL, be honest with me. With Libra's Omega form, did you just keyboard mash until the number was big enough?

(I'm describing Final Attack to my friend, and if the concept didn't win him over on it, that Libra Robeast definitely did.)

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Poison Mushroom posted:

BL, be honest with me. With Libra's Omega form, did you just keyboard mash until the number was big enough?

(I'm describing Final Attack to my friend, and if the concept didn't win him over on it, that Libra Robeast definitely did.)

The number is the birthday of the computer's voice among other things.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

The number is the birthday of the computer's voice among other things.
Ah, I see. I'll admit, I'm a little disappointed it wasn't just "Pilots take... WHAM WHAM WHAM WHAM WHAM ...that much damage."

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Poison Mushroom posted:

Ah, I see. I'll admit, I'm a little disappointed it wasn't just "Pilots take... WHAM WHAM WHAM WHAM WHAM ...that much damage."

It used to be, then I changed it.

edit: AAAAUUUGGGH I recorded a video of the game tonight and the drat camera cut it off. So annoyed right now.

Full Metal Boxers
Feb 20, 2007

COME LITTLE BITCOIN.... COME MY WAY.....IN THE MID NIGHT HOUR... I YELL NO NO NO... WITH A REBEL YELL I YELL MORE MORE MORE.... BIT COIN... I WANT TO FUCK YOU

Broken Loose posted:

It used to be, then I changed it.

edit: AAAAUUUGGGH I recorded a video of the game tonight and the drat camera cut it off. So annoyed right now.

The worst part is the drat video cuts out juuust shy of everyone getting to laugh at me losing my poo poo over the name of the Final Attack

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Saw this on my facebook:

Rutibex, do you live in Iowa by chance?

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Looks like an awesome bonfire

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

No game, sans Dominion, should have that many expansions. Just make a new game at that point.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Durendal posted:

Saw this on my facebook:

Rutibex, do you live in Iowa by chance?

I am interested, very interested :fap:

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3

Elemennop posted:

I have couple general issues with Archipelago that I am wondering if other people have had. The first is that it seems that exploration has a high enough percentage of success that there's no reason not to be aggressive exploring it early. It seems most our games progress the same way, we explore turn 1 - actions 1 and/or 2. Then, on action 3 or on the next turn, the labor market is large enough that we can each buy 2-3 laborers. Then, following reproduction, each us frequently have 7-9 citizens. That will increase the citizen tracker high enough that there's a significant buffer, also with the additional resource cubes on the market it will make crises easier to quell or just ignore. Also, with that high of a citizen population, there's very little reason not to just tax instead of pursuing alternative incomes through the markets. Migration taking a full action disk makes it frequently a worse option than just exploring. For one, a successful exploration will give you a resource cube and exploration token. Secondly, if you try to move into an occupied hex, the opposing player will have an action in response to just erect a city and take control of the hex. Also, fighting it out early with someone, will just give the others an early lead. In addition to all that, with high early populations a lot of the evolution cards are also frequently useless.

The second general issue I have is that in conjunction to the above, if you build a couple churches and get some of the appropriate progress cards, then the colony is pretty much never on the verge of rebellion. If anything, it seems we play too cooperatively. There also isn't much incentive as a separatist to keep your own workers rebelling if you're not going to immediately win, since you're both outing and paralyzing yourself for an entire turn. It's not difficult for the others to immediately build a couple churches, get some citizens, and mine a stockpile. So far, outside of the first game we played, the separatist has only won once, and that was because of victory points.

The third general issue I have is that the entire game seems to revolve around stones. With only 12 stones in the bank and it being absolutely essential to all infrastructure, pretty much every game we quickly mine all the stones. Usually, one player will hold a significant stockpile of them behind their screens. Then, the negotiations become around the player with stones getting the person with the next action to immediately mine all the stones. This means that one or two players (the ones who have access to several stone mines on their first few hexes) can quickly take complete control of the entire stone economy, and thus all pretty much all infrastructure (and many VPs as a result).

As a result of the above, it seems like all our games unfold exactly the same. I mean, it's still an engaging game since there's still a careful race and negotiation for VPs conditions, but I wish we were constantly exploiting all the mechanics of the game and had more variety in strategies. I should note that we only play the long game, and that it's completely possible we misread one of the rules when we started.

You're honestly the first person to voice this particular complaint except for possibly the bolded part. Archipelago can suffer from group think fatigue because the whole game hinges on player dynamics (even if there's a lot of meat beyond that). It is odd that your citizens feel like a buffer since the domestic crises on large populations drain far more resources than a small population--far more than I expected exploration resource boosts to help.

That being said, if you want an example of early-game big money port + double pineapple exotic fruit in early game is a bonus action that gives you 16 money. And iron on a local market is hefty money without hinging on stone. And yes stone is a huge deal (although I find fish to be important to put into the game just because harvesting it is an incredible chore).

In addition the War & Peace expansion really adds some truly game-changing cards. Most of the evolution cards in that expansion are on par in effect with the likes of Barbarian, Assassin, or Spy.

I will say that I play Archipelago with wildly different groups and get wildly different games; I'm curious what would be your experience with a different group of players....

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Urgh, you're tempting me to buy Keyflower.

There is a Kickstarter which compromises of custom wooden meeples for games. Fair enough. But in many cases the wooden replacements are worth multiples of the original game. $84 to make your TtR trains wooden. $110 to make your Dominant Species look like their species. I was going to point out that some people just can't out for business and getting their customers.

Except they raised $18k in about two days. Who...who is buying this? I mean I play Dota2 and there is some laughing at people who spend $30 to make their hero looks sparkly, but at least the original game was free and it gets updates so I can kind of see it but... Who loves TtR enough to triple the cost to get wooden choochoos?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fat Turkey posted:

Urgh, you're tempting me to buy Keyflower.

There is a Kickstarter which compromises of custom wooden meeples for games. Fair enough. But in many cases the wooden replacements are worth multiples of the original game. $84 to make your TtR trains wooden. $110 to make your Dominant Species look like their species. I was going to point out that some people just can't out for business and getting their customers.

Except they raised $18k in about two days. Who...who is buying this? I mean I play Dota2 and there is some laughing at people who spend $30 to make their hero looks sparkly, but at least the original game was free and it gets updates so I can kind of see it but... Who loves TtR enough to triple the cost to get wooden choochoos?

You can understand paying $30 for temporary control of some bits on a Dota 2 server (essentially nothing at all) but you can't understand paying $30 for actual physical objects that cost real money to manufacture? :psyduck:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
As someone who spent $80 on a wooden box for a game, I can definitely understand someone wanting high-quality components for a game that they play a lot. If CGE decided, for example, to put out an edition of Galaxy Trucker with solid, mahjong-style plastic tiles, I would jump on that even though I already own the game. I'm not sure I'd personally go for third-party pieces (at that point, I'd rather manufacture them myself and enjoy the journey as well as the end product), but I can definitely someone who plays TtR a lot and has disposable income wanting to upgrade their copy.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
I can understand why, in a game that didn't cost anything to play, someone might pay $30 so that their hero looks noticeably different and cooler to in some ways support a game that is constantly being updated that they have put thousands of hours into. People like having things that look better than other peoples and 4 figure hours are spent in the game, people get really into their MOBAs.

This is paying 3-4x that amount, after spending the same amount on the original game, for a pretty marginal improvement (you could make the same argument I suppose) in a pretty 'yeah its OK' gateway game that not many people play a lot after getting into the scene. In a game that is not getting constantly updated and supported with ongoing costs.

Are you still confused?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
"I think this game is so good I'll buy the super-deluxe version to simultaneously support the creator and be able to show off to others that I supported the creator" perhaps? That's pretty much the exact same as spending money on cosmetics in F2P games.

Most "collectors editions" aren't actually worth the money really.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
What I don't understand is why people question how others spend money. If I could get DS to the table more often I'd be all over that KS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
The kickstarter isn't supporting the creator. And its not a deluxe edition, only one component is changed, not the board or cards.

Its not that I don't get spending money to make your board game more swish, like the Galaxy Trucker example, and even myself building an insert for Tash Kalar+expansion out of foamboard that would cost quite a bit when you factor in materials and time. I guess its just the extent of it in this kickstarter. $84 to turn your plastic trains into wooden trains, everything else the same, not deluxe, with no money going to the game creator.