Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
Am I the only one who's kinda getting over this show? It's still consistently funny and well-made, but there's just no real heart for me to latch onto, and that's what I need to be reeled in for the long haul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

bubblelubble posted:

Am I the only one who's kinda getting over this show? It's still consistently funny and well-made, but there's just no real heart for me to latch onto, and that's what I need to be reeled in for the long haul.

Are you saying it's time for the Peralta-Santiago romance?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Eltoasto posted:

Are you saying it's time for the Peralta-Santiago romance?

Worked for Moonlighting

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

bubblelubble posted:

I, too, hate it when comedies are consistently funny.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I do have to admit this season doesn't feel quite as electric as the first, although in my case that might be because I didn't hear about it until the first season was over and got to binge the whole thing on Netflix. It's still a solidly entertaining half-hour each week though. It would be neat if they pursued slightly weightier stories, I feel like cutting short the Jake Undercover thing to just the start of the season was a bit of a cop-out, but then again I wouldn't want to gamble the show becoming too over-serious or melodramatic.

They do like to have little subplots boiling away, like the Holt vs. Wuntch thing or Charles and Gina's parents hooking up as a result of their own relationship, so maybe some of those will get a little more exciting. I liked Peralta and Santiago's relationship stuff so far and hope they go through with it, but I'm also worried about how it's handled and whether there'll be audience backlash.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Irish Joe posted:

I, too, hate it when comedies are consistently funny.

this, except ironically

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.

Dolash posted:

It would be neat if they pursued slightly weightier stories

I think this might be my problem. Right now, it's 99% weekly shenanigans and nothing substantial. There's nothing to root for or worry about.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
It's more like 30 Rock than a show like Friends or HIMYM, traditional comedies that hit you with sentimental scenes and lessons when the episode conflicts are resolved. Modern comedies have started moving away from this into straight up wacky I feel.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Holy crap Modern Family last night had Gloria's sister on, and I never realized it was Stephanie Beatriz.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Medullah posted:

Holy crap Modern Family last night had Gloria's sister on, and I never realized it was Stephanie Beatriz.

I did but, drat that red dress though.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Fetus Tree posted:

I guess I should clarify, I think she was on before and I didn't realize it until last night.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Fetus Tree posted:

Great, now I have to spend twenty minutes googling for a picture.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

bpower posted:

Or watch the episode. It was p funny.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

bpower posted:

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Brb while i google that for 20 minutes

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
I had the same realisation. Did anyone else notice it was her the first time she appeared on Modern Family?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

bubblelubble posted:

I had the same realization. Did anyone else notice it was her the first time she appeared on Modern Family?

IMDB puts her in two episodes. Being faceblind and all, you'll just have to take their word for it.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Irish Joe posted:

IMDB puts her in two episodes. Being faceblind and all, you'll just have to take their word for it.

The first episode also aired nine months before Brooklyn 99 premiered, so people probably saw her and didn't think much. Also, I don't think she had any lines and if she did it was very little.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

swickles posted:

The first episode also aired nine months before Brooklyn 99 premiered, so people probably saw her and didn't think much. Also, I don't think she had any lines and if she did it was very little.

I saw that episode of Modern Family well after starting B99, and I definitely did a double take when I got to that episode and had to look it up just to be sure.

Pretty sure they use makeup to change her complexion quite a bit in Modern Family.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.
She also sounds really different. Apart from the accent, she's speaking at a higher pitch in Modern Family.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Which is her normal pitch.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
All this Stephanie Beatriz is different off the show talk makes me feel obligated to share this.
http://youtu.be/HPasbywyvWM

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Ravel posted:

It's more like 30 Rock than a show like Friends or HIMYM, traditional comedies that hit you with sentimental scenes and lessons when the episode conflicts are resolved. Modern comedies have started moving away from this into straight up wacky I feel.

Eh, the only comedy I think has managed to successfully pull off the perfect balance of [episode plots + arc plots +actually is funny] is parks and rec. I'm completely fine with B99 being largely episodic with casual references to previous episodes.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Gary Marshall!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Is this a break room or a Turkish bazaar?

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Hilarious that he likes that place for not having a special

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

He just died :geno:

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Lmfao. "Oh, a hot dog!"

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Is this a Narnia situation?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Terry Crews should dance in every episode.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Get into your car?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Okay "Blast of Cold Air Coming Out of That Box" may be the best name for Amy's sex tape yet.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Peralta, youre a genius. This show rules.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

If you love someone, you'll remember what they look like. - :geno:

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp
Garry Marshall and a good amount of Marc Evan Jackson screentime is a recipe for success.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

Punch Card posted:

Garry Marshall and a good amount of Marc Evan Jackson screentime is a recipe for success.

I kept hearing Paul F. Tompkins impression in my head. Call me Garry!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Punch Card posted:

I was literally talking with Marc Evan Jackson yesterday (Thrilling Adventure Hour). He told me I should watch tonight's episode, so I did and I'm glad I am.:neckbeard:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I need all of that Terry Crews dance off uploaded to youtube, and I need it yesterday.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.
Peralta interacting with Kevin Cozner is always gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
I watched Stephen Merchant's show Hello Ladies over the weekend and Marc and Stephanie have an entire scene together in that show (the episode with the limousine) that was really delightful.

Also last night's episode was great. I'm really glad they had an episode with so much Kevin.

• Locked thread